FM2010 blogs - Day 23 - State of play, speed tests and Paolo Nutini

Miles, is no testing being done with added players from nations or first divisions? Very disappointed to see that the so-called "Dream Team" testers are simply playing with a large database with one minor exception where he's added a small bit to his database.

This in no way informs my potential game speed, because I always load additional players from all first divisions in the database or similar configurations. At the large setting, the database is far too small to have a fully realistic football world where the top clubs on various continents are truly represented.

Could someone please do some testing using DDT files or the new functions that allow you to retain all national team players, first division players, etc.?

Just to tell you straight on this.

My custom DB at game is Large db standard plus all current international players and all players at top division european clubs. This is over 60,000 active players and it runs fine.

Now are you happy? :mad:

No. What the hell else are testers for than to test things like this?

If they haven't already tested for the obvious bugs and major issues with the game, then we'll all be getting a crap product on October 30. At this stage the testers should have the time to work on issues like speed differences. If they're still working on core issues, then the timeline for this game is wrong and they need to change the development cycle dramatically.

There are different sets of testers for various different aspects of the game. Not everyone can be expected to run and report back on speed tests if they are spending hours poring over the ME, transfer AI, player development or the like. Although I write reams of stuff on certain areas, I have zero interest in speed testing, and certainly don't think it is part of my remit to report on it.

Speed is the most essential thing for me in FM10 so this looks good. I'm running Intel Core 2 Duo 1.55GHz and 2GB of RAM. Can anyone comment on how adding more RAM might affect the game for me? Would the fairly slow CPU mean that the effect of 1.5GB of extra RAM on FM10 would be negligible?

Yes :) QA testing or 'Quality assurance' basically tries to make sure that any obvious game breaking bugs don't come out with the release.

Ta. Was pretty sure this is what it meant but you never know. What sort of things do they do? Mess around with the editor to create extreme conditions? Or just things like making a top team lose lots of games to see what happens?

edit. Cheers to the other people who answered too.

Speed is the most essential thing for me in FM10 so this looks good. I'm running Intel Core 2 Duo 1.55GHz and 2GB of RAM. Can anyone comment on how adding more RAM might affect the game for me? Would the fairly slow CPU mean that the effect of 1.5GB of extra RAM on FM10 would be negligible?

More RAM would have a impact in improving the speed but not as much as a new CPU. I increased my RAM from 1GB to 2.5GB in a year and it made the game more playable but processing will still need the extra GHz of CPU to go.

Just because all the big bugs (presumably) have been fixed, doesn't mean they shouldn't be testing for more bugs.

One thing is revealing bug, another is revealing, analyse and correct the bug: these are 2 different jobs.

And after you've corrected a bug, you have to retest the software because your correction may lead to other problem. It's not so simple as many can see.

The testing (or looking for bugs) is a continuous thing that never stops as long as the software is supported by a software house.

Hi,

here are my specs at the moment, I play fm09 well

but with only prem-bss and la liga only, I want to know if it is worth getting

some more memory so I can load up

a few more leagues for fm10.

Can anyone help cheers

IMac

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.66ghz speed

Memory: 2GB

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

MAC OS X Version 10.5.5

Just to tell you straight on this.

My custom DB at game is Large db standard plus all current international players and all players at top division european clubs. This is over 60,000 active players and it runs fine.

Now are you happy? :mad:

Save your breath pomps this guy seems to know it all :confused: if only he knew how much went into the testing and how much we do i dont think he as half a clue

No. What the hell else are testers for than to test things like this?

If they haven't already tested for the obvious bugs and major issues with the game, then we'll all be getting a crap product on October 30. At this stage the testers should have the time to work on issues like speed differences. If they're still working on core issues, then the timeline for this game is wrong and they need to change the development cycle dramatically.

You have no idea how the testing works and what everyone does.

It's been said to you before and I'll say it myself, with multiple different set ups ranging from standard to customised, FM10 is faster than FM09 in every area. The GUI is as responsive as you could wish for and the processing whizzes by providing you set a realistic amount of leagues and players for your computer specs.

I run a Q6600 with 2GB and I run 30 leagues and a customised database of 40,000 players with no problems whatsoever.

You have no idea how the testing works and what everyone does.

It's been said to you before and I'll say it myself, with multiple different set ups ranging from standard to customised, FM10 is faster than FM09 in every area. The GUI is as responsive as you could wish for and the processing whizzes by providing you set a realistic amount of leagues and players for your computer specs.

I run a Q6600 with 2GB and I run 30 leagues and a customised database of 40,000 players with no problems whatsoever.

Yep and im running a Q6600 4GB ram with over 65,000 players and runs fine yes ok my pc is quite powerfull but thats still a massive amount of data

Great blog and great news on the speed. A quick question to those testers. Most, if not all, of the responses mention that FM10 is very 'responsive', what exactly do you mean? it seems to be a buzz word. I can understand the processing time is improved etc. just not quite sure what is meant for the responsiveness.

Responsiveness is generally used to describe User Interfaces in applications/games. Just means how long it takes (even if game/application is working hard) to respond to input. Eg, how long does it take to bring up a menu after you click the mouse.

Just to clarify there are external beta testers who test different aspects of FM10. Some have concentrated on the Match Engine and the Tactics whilst others have looked into regens and yet others, quoted in the blog, have concentrated on the speed of FM10 and the Graphical User Interface/Match Engine.

All report a vast improvement in speed in all areas, and it includes the 3D engine.

I would assume they mean responsive in terms of the UI. You press a button and something happens - hasn't always been the case, on the first press in previous years.

If SI have improved that, it'd be great.

Ah ok. I've had a few problems with that now and then, but I assumed it was just because my laptop was working too hard and overheating. Most of the time even on FM09 everything happens first click for me, although maybe I'll notice the difference in FM10.

Great blog and great news on the speed. A quick question to those testers. Most, if not all, of the responses mention that FM10 is very 'responsive', what exactly do you mean? it seems to be a buzz word. I can understand the processing time is improved etc. just not quite sure what is meant for the responsiveness.

It means that sometimes in FM09 you would have to click a menu twice or a players name twice to get it to "respond" as sometimes it did not.

It seems this year that FM10 actually responds to your inputs a lot better, no waiting around or multiple clicks to access a menu.

It means that sometimes in FM09 you would have to click a menu twice or a players name twice to get it to "respond" as sometimes it did not.

It seems this year that FM10 actually responds to your inputs a lot better, no waiting around or multiple clicks to access a menu.

Great thanks homerjnick. Sounds good.

will this new speed have any possitive effect on internet games? my fellow net player found FM09 to be much slower in net games than previous version's dispite have payed out to use the most fastes broadband speed todate.

Hi,

here are my specs at the moment, I play fm09 well

but with only prem-bss and la liga only, I want to know if it is worth getting

some more memory so I can load up

a few more leagues for fm10.

Can anyone help cheers

IMac

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.66ghz speed

Memory: 2GB

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

MAC OS X Version 10.5.5

Firstly check to see if your computer can take more ram easily but personally I think you can never have enough ram especially with something like FM.

• SI Staff
How about multiple cores and the quick match engine. It always bugs me that FM will happily max out a single core, but not multiples unless you put high match detail on.

The quick match has always been threaded, but it is so quick it probably doesn't really push it to 100%

Archived