What is the best Manager Game of All Time?

What is the most Awsome Manager game To Date?  

376 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most Awsome Manager game To Date?

• Champ Manager 97/98
    • Champ Manager 99/00
    • Champ Manager 00/01
    • Champ Manager 01/02
    • Champ Manager 03/04
    • Football Manager 06
    • Football Manager 07
    • Football Manager 08
    • Football Manager 09
    • Other

lol, USM my first management game. I remember thinking, "do managers really place hot dog stands around the stadium?"

btw, why have you left some out?

because there were only 10 options avaidable max

Did you ever play it long enough for the re-gens to become better? they were always terrible iirc

On USM? Some of them were amazing. It was so easy to sign unattached regenerated players to lower league teams, train them up hugely, and power your way through the leagues.

CM03/04 was awesome, FM2006 too, FM2007 as well - for me it's a tie here, but voted the last one. FM09 for me is only okay, I also liked CM4 which was my first game from the series - believe it or not I played without any patches. :D

Multi player soccer manager on the commodore 64 was the 1 i enjoyed the most in my youth. But realisticly i would go with fm 07 as the best due to some great online games with my friend every friday dawn till dusk.

Guest roberto922

Transfers are much more realistic on FM 09 than past iterations.

Paul - :D I meant people that have been playing it for a while, wasn't going by age ;)

95/96. One person in class would run the league, and print off our team sheets and fixtures/results every day. We'd spend each break time sorting out our teams. Muchos fun. Also, the foreign league versions were stupendously easy. I had Stefan Effenberg get the highest rating I've ever seen from a player: 9.73 over 40 games. He was amazing!

Polls like this often make me wonder if one Mod/SI programmer txts his mates to all vote for the latest FM. Its just not that good. :thdn:

Personally i havnt played this game in over 2 months, NEITHER have almost all my friends. I say almost because the few that do play this game do so until 'another' football manager game is released. :rolleyes:

I was expecting to see some classic football management games included in the poll to be honest, as you could pretty much roll all the one's listed into the same group.

Although I voted for FM09, some pre-CM/FM greats would for me be:

Football Manager (Spectrum original by Kevin Toms) The one that really started it all for me.

20080813-kr4hxatyc6tujnd92sj78bgqiu.preview.jpg

The Double - (C64) Took ages to play and process the results, but great if you had the patience.

double_summit[ekm]439x300[ekm].jpg

Multi-Player Soccer Manager (Amiga) Simply because my mate would always get upset when players joined my team instead of his.

multi_player_soccer_manager_01.png

Football Director (Amstrad) Had this on a CPC464 and spent all Christmas looking for 9 out of 10 players to sign. Those of you who complain about injuries with FM09, think about the fact that you simply couldn't continue if you couldn't pick a 1st 11 in this game!!

133-1.jpg

There's lot's more that I've played over the years that I could add, but when the CM series first started and became the FM series after the split, nothing else was comparable for me.

Guest roberto922
Polls like this often make me wonder if one Mod/SI programmer txts his mates to all vote for the latest FM. Its just not that good. :thdn:

Personally i havnt played this game in over 2 months, NEITHER have almost all my friends. I say almost because the few that do play this game do so until 'another' football manager game is released. :rolleyes:

Or most of the people voting have only played FM09....

Or maybe it's just that other people have different views to your own?

SWOS (95/96) and another Amiga one where you had to start off in the Conference cannot remember the name but it was by Gremlin* (still remember struggling with the code wheel on a black and white TV :() were simple but fun Managment games, the first LMA game on the original Playstation was good aswell, the second one not so (anyone complaining about the FM bugs should try playing that).

From the list CM01/02 due to the epic game I had lasting over 50 years with Celtic/Nottm Forest only ended by my computer dying :(

EDIT: *Premier Manager 2 was what it was called.

SWOS (95/96) and another Amiga one where you had to start off in the Conference cannot remember the name but it was by Gremlin (still remember struggling with the code wheel on a black and white TV :() were simple but fun Managment games, the first LMA game on the original Playstation was good aswell, the second one not so (anyone complaining about the FM bugs should try playing that).

From the list CM01/02 due to the epic game I had lasting over 50 years with Celtic/Nottm Forest only ended by my computer dying :(

Damn, you just reminded me of SWOS!! :D

The "other" Gremlin game was Premier Manager (1 or 2). I enjoyed those too in their day, until my dog decided to eat the copy protection wheel :(

But SWOS... ahh that was a great game. You could sign the naffest players but still whoop everyone because you could CONTROL the players in the matches.

Also, just thought of Football Masters & Professional Football Masters. Probably the nearest thing to CM/FM that came beforehand.

Absolutely 01/02,it isn't perfect,to be honest many features are missing in this game,but it's the closest they ever came to perfection.FM was very good game,but 09 has completely destroyed it.I would love to see a game with CM3 interface and many features from FM(without 3d match engine,repetitive and boring press conferences).Oh how would i like to see a game like that.I hope someday someone from SI will make a game like this because in past they were making brilliant games!

But SWOS... ahh that was a great game. You could sign the naffest players but still whoop everyone because you could CONTROL the players in the matches.

You've just reminded me of 'Director of Football'. Pretty crap, but with even more non-manager stuff than USM. Despite the name, you were still just the manager.

http://www.deafgamers.com/directoroffootball.htm

:D

CM 03/03 for me, I played earlier ones but this one really got me into the game with its database, gui, speed among other characteristics.

Any particular reason for leaving FM2005 out ?

I was expecting to see some classic football management games included in the poll to be honest, as you could pretty much roll all the one's listed into the same group.

Although I voted for FM09, some pre-CM/FM greats would for me be:

Football Manager (Spectrum original by Kevin Toms) The one that really started it all for me.

20080813-kr4hxatyc6tujnd92sj78bgqiu.preview.jpg

The Double - (C64) Took ages to play and process the results, but great if you had the patience.

double_summit[ekm]439x300[ekm].jpg

Multi-Player Soccer Manager (Amiga) Simply because my mate would always get upset when players joined my team instead of his.

multi_player_soccer_manager_01.png

Football Director (Amstrad) Had this on a CPC464 and spent all Christmas looking for 9 out of 10 players to sign. Those of you who complain about injuries with FM09, think about the fact that you simply couldn't continue if you couldn't pick a 1st 11 in this game!!

133-1.jpg

There's lot's more that I've played over the years that I could add, but when the CM series first started and became the FM series after the split, nothing else was comparable for me.

Huh I had forgotten about some of these.

Original FM is the ultimate classic (guess there are only a few of us that remember that)

Multi PLayer Soccer Manager, now did enjoy that game until i lost the little dongle thing came with it so game wouldnt work.

Football Director - again a good game for the C64 but became boring after me and a mate accidently discovered the way to cheat while saving the game. Ever sell 1,000,000,000 shares and get a bank full of cash and then getting fired for selling too many.

Now these were hard games as if i remember rightly most of them you could only start in the 4th Division and work your way up.

Cheers for naming them mate, so bloody old now had forgot about them

If the simplicity yet realism of CM01/02 could be added to FM (ie. no press conferences or repetitive boring media interaction in general) aswel as adding the awards system from 01/02 then I would have voted for FM09.

Theres no doubt that there have been many great improvements from the CM series but the game is currently flirting with becoming a gimicky mess

Archived