What is the best Manager Game of All Time?

What is the most Awsome Manager game To Date?  

376 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most Awsome Manager game To Date?

• Champ Manager 97/98
    • Champ Manager 99/00
    • Champ Manager 00/01
    • Champ Manager 01/02
    • Champ Manager 03/04
    • Football Manager 06
    • Football Manager 07
    • Football Manager 08
    • Football Manager 09
    • Other

Definitely CM 01/02 although it was a close one with from 97/98-99/00 too. Only because of the mighty Posh; Mark Tyler, Matty Etherington and Simon Davies... ahhhh the memories....

For sheer addictiveness and playability cm 01/02 definitely, I had several long, long term careers on that with peterborough, derby, coventry, united. As far as I can remember I went about 60 seasons in the Derby save.

I must admit I liked the first two F.A Premier League Football Manager games from EA, very glitchy in places but the stuff you could do to actually build a club from the ground up was crazy. Even had the real outline of the area outside the ground for building stuff.

Treble Champions for the Amiga anyone? :p

Blimey yes!

How could I forget that one. You could get newgen youngsters or sign them from other clubs and it was really easy to train them into top players. I think I remember dominating the game with a Scarborough side who's oldest player was 22 :D

Ahhh... the memories.

Blimey yes!

How could I forget that one. You could get newgen youngsters or sign them from other clubs and it was really easy to train them into top players. I think I remember dominating the game with a Scarborough side who's oldest player was 22 :D

Ahhh... the memories.

Many an all nighter were spent playing Treble Champions. Super Mick Harford banging them in. ;)

Just don't get me started on "Best Game Music", because I would accept no substitute for those Shadow of the Beast guitar riffs, closely followed by the intro theme from Cannon Fodder. Sorry, completely off topic, but had to be mentioned now that classic games of my youth are spinning back into my mind... ;)

Anyway Golfpunk... did you ever play any of the Football Masters games? They were rather good, but I think you could only buy them from their adverts in footy mags of the time, not in the shops. At least, I don't ever remember seeing them in the shops...

Just don't get me started on "Best Game Music", because I would accept no substitute for those Shadow of the Beast guitar riffs, closely followed by the intro theme from Cannon Fodder. Sorry, completely off topic, but had to be mentioned now that classic games of my youth are spinning back into my mind... ;)

Anyway Golfpunk... did you ever play any of the Football Masters games? They were rather good, but I think you could only buy them from their adverts in footy mags of the time, not in the shops. At least, I don't ever remember seeing them in the shops...

Unfortunately I have never played any of the Football Masters games but i'm sure their retro-ness would make them an instant classic. :D

Champ Manager 99/00 for me, the year my football managing experience began :D

Was a simple game, with a wonderful pre-game editor from Tri Wasano which was the dogs danglies and later Graeme added a save-game editor which was truely elite!

I always seemed to manage Parma for some reason, their squad had enormous potential with Cannavaro, Thuram, Buffon and i just seemed to like the yellow and blue colours! :D

It had its major flaws. 31st December to 1st January sent shivers down the spine of all CM gamers. The game would sit in silence for minutes whilst it processed all the contracts due to expire for the forthcoming summer and many a time the game simply capitulated and crtl-alt-del was needed to end the task. If you were determined to get far, eventually you'd suffer the 'data corruption' error and you'd be unable to restore the game.

Not to mention the fact that players hitting more than 100 passes would go off injured!

I was useless at controlling the players in the match, though the tactics were great - move the player around until the game gave you a tick :D could never get 11 ticks though.

Yeah the tick thing was always fairly annoying to me as I liked to make my players profitable (well just see their value increase). As soon as you saw the value drop once you knew the only way was down, down, down and it became "quick, sell the blighter to get your moneys worth" and hope the next player wasn't so bad. I used to play quick central defenders in the DMC role and watch their values skyrocket.

Treble Champions for the Amiga anyone? :p

Hey it was on the Atari STE, get it right!

Pretty in depth for its day though, I forgot we used to stay up all night playing the thing at such a young age. No wonder I have problems sleeping :p

Player Manager was a huge favourite of mine, it used the Kick Off engine. It was fairly easy to yank back then forward quickly in just the right spot on the pitch and lob the goalkeeper from about 30-40 yards everytime. I thought I was the master at it at the time but I'm sure everyone else probably done it as well, so much easier than getting a goal by any other method. I used to love the buying and selling of players most of all though, I used to actually play the first season or 2 and then just manage from then on. I got a greater sense of achievement when I didn't have to play the games and I could still win it all, plus it was loads faster.

Seeing how this poll doesn't say best football manager game of all time I think I'll have to also give a nod to Speedball 2 also :p

My overall favourite though, that is such a hard question to answer, so many games have given me such joy for various reasons over the years. CM2 introduced me to the CM/FM world, but I never actually owned a CM game till like 01/02, which I played the complete crap out of, so it's definitely my favourite CM. Things have came on so far now that it's hard to favour nostalgia over the current FM series, and I'm still very fond of FM08 (what a superb match engine), so I went for that.

Looking at the votes more people went with 07 than 08? I don't actually remember 07 too well, I'll have to install it again, but why do people favour 07? Did the buggy new features of 08 put everyone off it before the patch came out? I just remember it being the best football experience ever because of how good the ME looked in 08.

Football Manager 2 for the Amstrad, best manager game ever in it's time, FACT. Well the game that I will always hold as the best anyway, and the reason I still by manager games today. But the players always used to be of random abilities, sometimes someone like Mark Hughes or Glenn Hoddle would be incredible, load up a new game and he was awful, the same for everyone though.

Come home from school, load it up on tape, good times.

CM01/02 was pretty good though as well, and for me the best of the CM/FM franchise.

Guest roberto922

I think the newest one is always gonna get the most votes because it would be the game most played, stick it in OTF where more of the users have been playing for years and then tailed off and you'd get alot more votes for CM3

I remember playing FM2005 on my old pc,i liked it very much but it was so slow on my pc.CM01/02 is without a doubt the best SI game of all time.FM2009 is a major disappointment,game is full of bugs and you can't enjoy it like other versions of CM/FM.I think that FM2009 shouldn't be included in this poll because the game is still active(were still listening impressions of this game)and it became playable only after 9.0.3. patch.

I was expecting to see some classic football management games included in the poll to be honest, as you could pretty much roll all the one's listed into the same group.

Although I voted for FM09, some pre-CM/FM greats would for me be:

Football Manager (Spectrum original by Kevin Toms) The one that really started it all for me.

20080813-kr4hxatyc6tujnd92sj78bgqiu.preview.jpg

The Double - (C64) Took ages to play and process the results, but great if you had the patience.

double_summit[ekm]439x300[ekm].jpg

Multi-Player Soccer Manager (Amiga) Simply because my mate would always get upset when players joined my team instead of his.

multi_player_soccer_manager_01.png

Football Director (Amstrad) Had this on a CPC464 and spent all Christmas looking for 9 out of 10 players to sign. Those of you who complain about injuries with FM09, think about the fact that you simply couldn't continue if you couldn't pick a 1st 11 in this game!!

133-1.jpg

There's lot's more that I've played over the years that I could add, but when the CM series first started and became the FM series after the split, nothing else was comparable for me.

if i remember right some of these retro classics were multiplayer games. so if 2 players could play each other on a commodore 64 then it is possible to play each other online. most of the emulators now have net play intrigated. anyone interested in trying out these really old management games online?

if i remember right some of these retro classics were multiplayer games. so if 2 players could play each other on a commodore 64 then it is possible to play each other online. most of the emulators now have net play intrigated. anyone interested in trying out these really old management games online?

Dude how can u play a manager simulation on a cassette!!?? thats OLDSKOOL

Where's Sensible World of Soccer 96-97? My Ajax team was unstoppable. Van Der Sar, Bogarde, Kluivert, Litmanen, wow.

Big sigh.... Good ol' days.... :(

Where are those days Ajax did so well? Last time was 2003, Quarter Finals Champions League against AC Milan, just before the end of the game, Jon Dahl Tomasson scores the winner for Milan..... Darkest moment of my life :(

Though I respect every user's opinion,I just can't understand how it's possible to consider FM09 as the best FM game ever. FM07, yes, for me that was a game. Imo, FM09 is a simulation wannabe, but it has a long road to go.

Archived