The FM20 Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 31/10/2019 at 18:54, XaW said:

I'm actually thinking of playing in Norway with Follo (my local team) since they are located in the (unplayable) 4th tier. But since the league is visible (like the French one), I have to do it slowly to make sure my team is promoted to the 3rd tier! :D

Any idea when the calculation for teams are done? I holidayed to 12th and then went 1 day more to the 13th. The teams promoted from 4th tier are the same when I reload, so I'm thinking the calculation must be done earlier.

@Fastbasher@XaW@darren1983 Thanks for your thoughts on this challenge.

And after reading through this thread and skimming through some of the last one, i decided to just try it. Not sure I will post about it, maybe if I get through 2-3 seasons and not get bored/frustrated/sacked.

But I took over Tienen in Belgium primarily because they have good academy coaching and excellent youth recruitment (the facilities aren't very good though). I guess I'll see how far I get. I've played a handful of games so far and seem to be doing pretty well. But I feel like the challenge really starts when the regens appear.

Belgium's reset date is June 29 fyi.

8 hours ago, MikaelS said:

Any idea when the calculation for teams are done? I holidayed to 12th and then went 1 day more to the 13th. The teams promoted from 4th tier are the same when I reload, so I'm thinking the calculation must be done earlier.

Actually, the 4th tier is visible, but unplayable. Kind of like the French one. So, in order to chose the team you want, just slowly save and sim forward making sure your team gets promoted! 

2 hours ago, jstu9 said:

@Fastbasher@XaW@darren1983 Thanks for your thoughts on this challenge.

And after reading through this thread and skimming through some of the last one, i decided to just try it. Not sure I will post about it, maybe if I get through 2-3 seasons and not get bored/frustrated/sacked.

But I took over Tienen in Belgium primarily because they have good academy coaching and excellent youth recruitment (the facilities aren't very good though). I guess I'll see how far I get. I've played a handful of games so far and seem to be doing pretty well. But I feel like the challenge really starts when the regens appear.

Belgium's reset date is June 29 fyi.

Good luck! It's hard, but it's fun. Be warned though, this youth developments business is addictive! But when you get that one youngster through and he smashes up everything at your level, then gets sold with huge bonuses to you, it's kind of fun following his career, knowing you helped it of the ground. That father figure kind of proud. ;)

4 hours ago, jstu9 said:

I would challenge you to post from the first season! As @darren1983 said, everyone is cheering each other on here, and everyone can relate to the struggles. 

And it's a really great challenge, for me the best one on this forum. Completing it last year was the greatest feeling I've ever had on FM, and i played it since the start of the series. 

And @XaW hits the nail on the head, youth development (and especially here when its forced) is addictive! 

On 04/11/2019 at 08:59, XaW said:

The challenge is different if you do it in a smaller nation than England. In England the real challenge is reaching the Premier League and winning it, once you have done that, the Champions League is not that far away. In smaller countries you won't have as much of an issue rising up the tiers, or perhaps even winning the league, there the challenge is to go far in Europe.

Just to add to this, there are some countries - especially Spain and Italy - where this challenge is a bit harder because you start in 3rd tier, where the quality of players is already quite high and your intakes are still crap.

Also, a warning: one successful "run" in this challenge, even without the great CL success, will make it so you'll unable to play the game any other way :D

Edited by Soviet

5 hours ago, XaW said:

Actually, the 4th tier is visible, but unplayable. Kind of like the French one. So, in order to chose the team you want, just slowly save and sim forward making sure your team gets promoted! 

I know it is visible but is the league structure there? I'm not really interested in picking a team beforehand, so I thought it was possible to do reloads like usual.

My goodness this 1st season is tough. 10 games of the season to play and we're perched perilously only 2 points clear of the relegation zone :(

Doesn't help that there are FOUR relegation spaces either! :eek:

Does it get easier in the 2nd season?? Not had my regens yet so it might all depend on that!

Just now, schnauzer said:

My goodness this 1st season is tough. 10 games of the season to play and we're perched perilously only 2 points clear of the relegation zone :(

Doesn't help that there are FOUR relegation spaces either! :eek:

Does it get easier in the 2nd season?? Not had my regens yet so it might all depend on that!

You can do it! Stay stronk!

7 minutes ago, MikaelS said:

I know it is visible but is the league structure there? I'm not really interested in picking a team beforehand, so I thought it was possible to do reloads like usual.

I *think* it's just the top team from each of the sub divisions gets promoted. I can take another look when I get home.

2 hours ago, Soviet said:

Also, a warning: one successful "run" in this challenge, even without the great CL success, will make it so you'll unable to play the game any other way :D

This is the truth!

I haven't played a 'normal' save of FM in 5+ iterations of the game.  The whole scouting revamp has never been touched, except to set them to zero at the start of my saves :)

I have a definite possible team now.  Going to reload some more and maybe run the holiday season in another country.

vor 16 Minuten schrieb Braumiller:

This is the truth!

I haven't played a 'normal' save of FM in 5+ iterations of the game.  The whole scouting revamp has never been touched, except to set them to zero at the start of my saves :)

I have a definite possible team now.  Going to reload some more and maybe run the holiday season in another country.

Tell us 😆 again sweden?

5 minutes ago, Forest said:

Tell us 😆 again sweden?

Surprisingly, no! :lol:  

I was (I guess I still am) very tempted to start the torturous marathon in England, but currently thinking of going north of the border in Scotland.....

So that early season Scottish League Cup thingy put us in a group with Hearts, and gave us an away tie, and *poof* our financial issues are sorted for now. And I'm pretty sure that ties against SPL teams should be a yearly occurrence in this Cup (hopefully we get them away every time) and even if we play them at home certainly we will play away to teams with bigger stadiums then us even if they aren't SPL teams, so that has made me particularly happy for the future. Who knew a League Cup could make me so optimistic.

HyGegfL.png

njvjD5K.png

St. Ives 2020/21 Season Review

League Table    Youth Intake    Squad    Transfers

Went about as well as I could've hoped for. Comfortably survived the drop, found some decent staff, and the board's injecting money to keep the books in the black. I probably shouldn't be happy with 15th considering we were in the playoff spots until March, but I'm frankly not overly concerned with league performance until we have the building blocks in place to produce players.

The youth intake isn't looking like much to write home about, but I expect as much until we find some money to put into facilities. Joseph James is heralded as the best of the bunch, which probably says more than I can with words.

Onward!

Season    League              Finish   Notes
2020/21   Vanarama North      15th     -

2 minutes ago, Scab said:

The youth intake isn't looking like much to write home about, but I expect as much until we find some money to put into facilities. Joseph James is heralded as the best of the bunch, which probably says more than I can with words.

Good pace, acceleration, decent crossing. Not bad for a 16yo right midfielder.

Season 2020/21 Review National League South

670.png.b3cc4e438b10693071544a4c7fb18516.png

League Table Finances Transfers

Am never a fan of this first season as I just want to get to April and the intake, this was pretty good though. I started the season with the same system that got me sacked from FC United and it still didn't work so I went back to basics with a counter attacking 442 and things fell into place, however the sale of out only backup striker and one of our strikers going on a 13 hour goal drought meant I went back to my 433 (wide) but with some changes to suit the players I had now I knew them better. Meant we ended the season in 4th though with 91 points we'd have won the league by 11 points the previous season (though there were 4 less games last season)

Into the playoffs for us. We had a home game against a slough side we had lost and beat in the league. We found ourselves 2-0 down just after HT but quick fire double meant we pulled it back to 2-2 and went to extra time, Not much happened aside from us getting a red card so to pens it was. Our keeper saved 4 as we won 3-1 to book a semi final game at Dulwich Hamlet. The league games with them had ended 0-0 and a 5-4 loss but they don't tell the story as Dulwich battered us in both games and this was no different. A 3-0 loss where we didn't even have a shot on target. So the season ended in slight frustration but we got through it.

Youth Intake

Nothing special sadly, just a couple that might make the grade

Shane Carragher YP01A - a left winger with a bit of pace but not a great deal else
Nick Chapman YP01B - another pacey wide man, suits my style of inverted wide players though
George Stokes YP01C - an AMC which we don't use but with his workrate could turn into an OK CM for us
Josh Andrews YP01D - striker with a little bit of pace, oddly my coaches seem to think I should train him as a right back

Like I say, nothing special but that's to be expected really at this stage. Finances a real worry as can't get any upgrades to the club or me to do any badges till we have some cash. Promotion would have been nice but probably way too soon

Season		League		Position	Coaching		Recruitment	Notes

2020/21		VNLS		4th 		Fairly basic		Basic		Lost in promotion semi final	

image.png.81772396c6bcfe700e0633ff62726697.png

Lhasa Urban Contruction Investment FC

Probably a terrible idea but I've gone with China, not a clue how hard this will be with the big spending top division sides against my Tibetans (who apparently play in Sichuan now instead)

image.thumb.png.f7604d0de6f1809eeac8b4d1364abb5a.png

image.thumb.png.0d9f30ae8124c348565f4ce19dabc211.png

When I play this (or other challenges) in France, I do it slightly differently. Before the end of the first season I pick one of the relegated teams from the third tier.

This way you get to play the first season in the regional 4th tier. 

I don't post about it though, because it doesn't meet the criteria for picking a team in the original post.

SACK ALERT

Sadly I've fallen victim and been sacked upon being relegated with only the final game of the season to play.

Soooo annoying because for the first half of the season we looked good, and I'd started to really like Whitby Town to play as!

I did have the chance to see my youth intake come through and they were worse than the ones from the holiday season, despite having a HOYD with 15 CA and 16 PA and 16 working with youngsters?!

I really want to complete this challenge and in England too but I can't see how after 2,3 even 4 seasons things improve?

Please help me haha because I'm determined to do it!

Abilities of HYOD won't influence the CA/PA of players - only his personality, in limited manner. It's mostly down to facilities and luck.

And yes, it does get easier after a few years, when first young players are coming into the team.

Edited by Soviet

Hard luck @schnauzer, but well done on making it so close to the end of the season.

Many attempts at this a manger doesn't even get to see a youth intake.

The key is improving everything that will help getting better youth players in and surviving long enough for the first few intakes to develop enough to take over from original players.

It's such a relief not having to scout players and look at the transfer market.

2 minutes ago, Fastbasher said:

Hard luck @schnauzer, but well done on making it so close to the end of the season.

Many attempts at this a manger doesn't even get to see a youth intake.

The key is improving everything that will help getting better youth players in and surviving long enough for the first few intakes to develop enough to take over from original players.

It's such a relief not having to scout players and look at the transfer market.

Thank you mate, I honestly didn't see the relegation coming but we just couldn't get a win for toffee in the final quarter of the season!

It seems really difficult to upgrade youth coaching and youth recruitment with these boards too, and when you lose players to other teams and the newgens coming in aren't even half the player of the one you lost, it feels like a loosing battle - but hey, I guess that's what makes this challenge so difficult and rewarding!

Out of interest, do you bother to get a scout? I did on this game for scouting the opposition but not sure if it was worth it?

Is it also even worth having a HOYD would you say, @Soviet?

Btw, congrats on the great first season @darren1983!

I'm thinking of starting again as either Folkestone Invicta or Haringey Borough, mostly as they are both teams nobody else has taken yet and also they aren't in the North division. I had Hartlepool, Gateshead, York, Hereford, Boston, Kidderminster, Telford etc. all in my league and it felt somewhat impossible!

Keep it up guys :)

2 minutes ago, schnauzer said:

Is it also even worth having a HOYD would you say, @Soviet?

Yes, just make sure he's Proffesional, Determined, Model Citizen or something like that.

I always get a scout: to check some interesting players all over the world and track players you're inevitably going to sell. I always create a shortlist called "Former players" and add everyone leaving, just so I can stalk them :D

Edited by Soviet

I get one scout for the purpose you mentioned. Scouting opposition.

I never get two scouts when doing this challenge.

It is tough to get money to upgrade youth facilities. One way is to sell promising youth to pay for it. Try to get sell on clauses and sell them to clubs with better coaching setups. It pays off in a couple of seasons if you can make it that long.

Let a bigger club develop them and take 50% of the profit.

12 minutes ago, Soviet said:

Yes, just make sure he's Proffesional, Determined, Model Citizen or something like that.

I always get a scout: to check some interesting players all over the world and track players you're inevitably going to sell. I always create a shortlist called "Former players" and add everyone leaving, just so I can stalk them :D

Interestingly my HOYD was driven personality, but I didn't seem to get the benefit of it sadly.

That shortlist idea is genius, I'm copying that if I get far enough into a save! :lol:

Having played for a season now I'm guessing that a good club to choose isn't necessarily one with good budgets but rather one with a good, large, young starting squad that can carry you whilst the youth intakes develop into first team worthiness.. Does that sound about right?

@schnauzer from a playing squad perspective, yes.

I look for a club that already has decent youth facilities. This helps with early youth intakes and means less upgrades before the quality youth start coming through.

Move your transfer funds into wage budget when you need to keep hold of your best players.

3rd Attempt.

Meet the new manager of Putnok recently promoted to the Hungarian 2nd division.

Facilities are nothing special. But that 1500 capacity stadium looks a lot bigger in game.

The playing squad is a mix of full time, part time and N/C players. No one stands out, but with a wage budget of 15k gbp per week and current wages at 1.1k per week, there is plenty of room to keep hold of the promising ones.

edit: There are no promising ones.

Media predict a finishing place of 20th from 20 teams. It's another hard season ahead.

4 hours ago, michiganhugefan said:

So that early season Scottish League Cup thingy put us in a group with Hearts, and gave us an away tie, and *poof* our financial issues are sorted for now. And I'm pretty sure that ties against SPL teams should be a yearly occurrence in this Cup (hopefully we get them away every time) and even if we play them at home certainly we will play away to teams with bigger stadiums then us even if they aren't SPL teams, so that has made me particularly happy for the future. Who knew a League Cup could make me so optimistic.

HyGegfL.png

That cup is a godsend in Scotland, the promotion system however, not so easy haha.

1 hour ago, Rizz0therat said:

That cup is a godsend in Scotland, the promotion system however, not so easy haha.

Well.....

I took far too long a lunch today ( sssssshhhh! ) and played my first handful of games.

FM20 has already started to taunt me.  My 4 League Cup group games were 2 other League Two teams away from home (so poor attendances) and two Premiership teams at my place (so poor attendances)! :seagull: :lol:

First season finished with East Kilbride in Scotland. Managed to finish 8th League Table which was good considering I only had 11 players to use. I got quite a good youth intake with some potential Best Youth Candidate. Looking forward to having subs next season but will probably be another season of Consolidation. 

Squad first season   Transfers page

Edited by nick91188

After spending 3 hours trying to pick a team in Norway, @XaW kindly reminded me that I was looking at the wrong tier.

So I spent another 30 minutes contemplating on other teams and I finally settled with Fløy. They are also known as Flekkerøy IF Fotball.

ViJ5Sdd.jpg

And here I am in all my glory :)

VfsUJz7.jpg

One of the aspects I personally enjoy with this challenge is creating the narrative around the (hopefully) long term save.

Sometimes it is molding a particular youth into the kind of player you need and sometimes it is something way out in left field.

I am in mid October of my first season (18 competitive games under my belt) and I have had something happen for the 4th time already, which I may have gone complete challenges without happening.....  #cliffhanger  :lol: 

noD3emR.png

Youth intake 2021

So, our first youth intake, and it's a pretty good one. I'll most likely keep just about everyone to at least have a squad to chose from!

l0mXhY9.png

The highest rated talent is Dave Clarke 21a, a pretty good winger.Not crazy about him, but he should be handy.

63dpbLE.png

The next one is Kevin Clements 21b, a tall defender. If I can get his strength and tackling up, he could be a good player for us.

fgYOXj5.png

The final player to showcase is Jack Birch 21c. Yes he is a one-trick pony, but he is good at that one trick, and it's a trick I need.

UTWi3pY.png

Edited by XaW

XaW - Stratford Town - 2020/21

noD3emR.png

Table | Squad | Transfers | Finances

So here we are again, down in the regional divisions trying to survive, and with youngsters only! Just after I took over Stratford Town, we lost 4 of our best players due to everyone being on non-contracts, so I had a relative small squad to work with. But we actually did pretty good! I set the team up in a 4-5-1 where the only the wingers and the striker were responsible for the attacking, and went a bit direct over the top counterattacking, and it seems to be working. There are quite few goals both scored and conceded, compared to what I expected, so a lot wins were with a 1 goal margin, and the same with losses. I'm still tweaking it a bit, but I think I've found something that kinda works, at least. At a point we were fighting for a playoff spot, but in the end we finished in a very respectable 9th spot, 5 points of playoffs.

In the FA Cup we beat Brightlingsea and Alfreton Town before losing to Chroey in the 4th qualifying round . In the FA Trophy we beat Gloucester City, Stockport County and Darlington before losing to Tamworth in the 3rd round.

We had a pretty good youth intake where the highest rated youngster is Dave Clarke 21a.

The leading players this season have been Ivor LawtonNabil Shariff and Mitchell Glover.

PBHGqhg.png