The FM20 Youth Academy Challenge

Welcome back everyone!!

This is the new incarnation of the Youth Academy Challenge started by ri916 and continued by Braumiller before I picked it up, from now on rather than having a thread only for the current version of the game, this thread will also play host to people that are starting on older versions.

The Aim
To win your chosen countries' top division and win the Champions League of your continent with a previously unplayable club using only your academy as a way of acquiring new players - this mean No Transfers of any kind. No buying back former players. Even on a free. No loans not even as part of a deal to sell your player. 

The Available Countries
Previously any Country in Europe was eligible as long as you can get a previously unplayable side promoted from Holidaying, however from last year we were happy to extended it to the rest of the world as well as long as the team meets the criteria of being previously unplayable and that is the same this year. No custom databases just from whatever leagues come with the game.

New Stuff
With a new game comes new features and there are some changes that will likely affect those of us that play the game in this way. The new stuff added that we will likely use is Club Vision, Development Centre and Playing Time Pathway.
These new features will allow us to shape the vision of the club over the long and short term, the Development Centre will allow us to chart our exciting new players before they become playable and give us an idea of what area’s we will have strength in which in turn could impact on our current squads and who we look to retain and/or retrain. While the Playing Time Pathway allows us to progress players from Emergency Backup to First Team Star, this will (I think anyway) be good for those of us that like to plan for players, gives us a reminder of what we are expecting each season from our youngsters but also stops them from being upset about playing time (this could be especially helpful with keepers)

I’ve added links to the blog posts that cover each new feature for those that want to read more about them.

Helpful Information
There is often lots of speculation about what impacts the youth intake and what you as a player can do in order to get the best intake you can and the below is the information we have thanks to @Seb Wassell

Newgens & Youth Intake

Youth Recruitment
The Club’s recruiting of Juniors, those of home and foreign origin.

Youth Facilities
The training facilities available for Juniors (only).
Does NOT apply to visible players already at the club. All visible players currently at the club use Training Facilities regardless of age.

Junior Coaching
The quality and quantity of Junior Coaches at the Club.

Nation Youth Rating
The potential maximum quality and quantity of Juniors produced in that Nation.

Game Importance
How important football is considered to be in that Nation.

Producing Newgens
The Clubs with the best Youth Recruitment will generally pick up the best Junior talent from that Nation first, the scale of that talent being determined by the Nation Youth Rating and Game Importance. The lower the Youth Recruitment the further down the pecking order a club will find itself. Two clubs with identical Youth Recruitment will be sorted by Club Reputation. Being lower down this pecking order does not mean quality Newgens cannot be produced, it simply lowers the chances.
Youth Facilities and Junior Coaching then simulate and determine how that Junior progresses in the Club’s Junior system until a Newgen is produced and appears in game. It is at this point that the Current Ability (CA) and Potential Ability (PA) of the newgens are decided. The above factors all contribute to both CA and PA equally.

Head of Youth Development (HoYD)
The club’s HoYD is responsible for bringing Newgens into the club. He will influence what “type” of players are selected and can partially or fully pass on his personality to some of these Newgens. The “type” of players selected refers to a player’s position and style, for instance a HoYD with a preferred 4-5-1 formation and a Technical Coaching Style may produce more technically styled midfielders than another HoYD.
The HoYD will also influence the rare “freak” or exceptional Newgens that come through, modifying their ability and style.
This role is filled by the HoYD by default, however if none is employed whichever staff member is set to be responsible for youth development will fill this role.

Youth Intake Preview

In FM20 the Development Centre will provide a preview of the upcoming youth intake ahead of the day itself.
This preview will provide some information on the general quality of the intake, positions that are either blessed with or lacking in quality and any other notable highlights.

Junior Player Poaching

In FM20 it is possible for Juniors to be poached from another club's youth system. This will most commonly occur from smaller reputation club > larger reputation club.
When this occurs a inbox item is received, offering a few details (similar to that of the Youth Intake Preview) on the player that has been poached. Poached players will appear in the next appropriate youth intake.

The Reset Dates
(Dates will appear when they have been confirmed for FM20 and if the country you pick isn't listed below just let me know the reset date and I'll add it)

Argentina - July 15

Austria - June 13 (save on June 6th then holiday to June 13th to get different teams)

Belarus

Belgium -

Bulgaria - June 29th

Brazil - Jan 2nd (save on December 2nd to get different teams)

Croatia -

Czech Republic -

Denmark - June 29 (save on June 3rd then holiday till June 29th to get different teams)

England - June 24 (May 29th seems to be the reload day so save to then and then holiday till June 24 to get different teams) 

Finland - November 30

France  -

Germany - June 19th (May 25th seems to be the reload day so save to then and then holiday till June 19 to get different teams)

Holland - July 7 (save on May 29th then holiday to July 7th to get different teams)

Hungry - June 19th

Iceland - November 25th (save at end of September 30/31st then holiday to November 25th to get different teams)

Israel - June 22nd (Save on May 15th then Holiday till June 22nd for different teams) 

Italy - June 29 (Last playoff game is June 6th so save June 5th and holiday till June 29th to get different teams)

Northern Ireland - 25 June 2021 (no relegation season 1) save the game on May 2nd 2021 and then holiday to June 25th for different teams

Norway - Jan 13

Poland - June 29

Portugal - June 29 (Last playoff game is June 21 so save then and holiday till June 29th to get different teams)

Romania - June 29th

Russia - June 19 (save on May 16 and holiday to June 19 to get different teams)

Scotland - June 24th (save April 30 and holiday till May 3rd to see who makes the playoffs then play through to see who wins)

Serbia - June 15 (save to May 21 to get different teams)

Slovenia -

South Africa -

Spain - 

Sweden - December 15

Switzerland - June 20 (save on May 20th then holiday till June 20th to get different teams) 

Turkey - 

Wales –  June 24 (save on may 16th then holiday till June 24 to get different teams)

Database Settings

Mandatory

Database size can be small, medium or large

Advanced Options have to be as shown here --> Tmlt92S.thumb.jpg.2ba8efbc09447eeb416274435e748b22.jpg

Optional

Any additional settings in the ‘Advanced Database Setup’ – Due to us not being allowed to buy players, adding extra players just adds to the realism of your game and potentially slightly increases difficulty. NOTE – It is highly recommended you add the highest unplayable leagues for your country, as this will help make sure the promoted teams (you will be taking control of) have players.

As an example, this is what I loaded for England -

Capture.thumb.JPG.ecb588dccdb9736fc08b32988b305451.JPG

Players from Top Clubs in Europe is also recommended

We used to limit this to just loading the leagues from the country you are playing in but we now allow you to load as many leagues as you to add a bit more immersion into their saves. You don't have to add any more than the country you are playing in but the option is there for people that want to.

Steps When Getting Started

Add yourself as an unemployed manager. Call him holiday man if you want.

Go on holiday until the reset date of your nation or the day before if you’re planning on reloading.

Retire the manager

Add a new manager with your chosen nationality and the lowest possible reputation and qualifications

Choose the newly promoted club of your choice

Rules for the Challenge

No loans or transfers in are allowed but you can sell and loan players out.

If you are sacked, sorry, you have to start again.

No save game editors are allowed. Only cosmetic database edits are allowed. (Team/competition names/logos)

No international management until completion of challenge.

Signing backroom staff is allowed. Signing players on trial or signing grey players isn't allowed.

Rules for this Thread

Player naming is allowed.

General discussion on tactics is allowed, although people should not refer to downloaded tactics. They are not banned, but I would expect the majority of people to avoid them.

Screenshots for anything are encouraged but please post links to your pictures, don't post them as images as it makes the pages slower to load.

When you join the challenge, could you post a screenshot of your manager's profile on the league reset date.

Progress of your club should be documented using this thread. The beauty of these challenge threads is to share your story and to read others. Please keep us updated, even if you are not performing as you may wish.

Season Update

Youth Candidates

All Tagged Players Attribute page

Transfers (to prove that you haven’t signed any players)

Squad

League Table

Anything else is optional. 

Also, some people like to nickname/tag their best players from each youth intake in chronological order. For example, you could nickname your best player in the intake in season 1 as *their name* YP01a, and so on. But this is not compulsory if you don't wish to.

Good luck to all

Edited by darren1983

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

image_handler.thumb.jpg.20bd2b1ae68b38729bb324459212627a.jpg

If/when you complete the challenge link me to the post and you shall be entered here.

User                         Club                      Year Completed        Final Update

vikeologist              Palermo                2041                            Here

thomas_e               South Shields       2040                           Here

dkouv                      Scarborough        2045                           Here

Miek                        Nuneaton Boro    2049                           Here

Padders                  Scarborough         2277 (not a typo)     Here

thomas_e               Energie Cottbus   2033                           Here

Edited by darren1983

Well then, time to get going! I'm going to toy a bit about looking at different countries before I decide where start. Let's go!

Edit: Just noticed Wales have a new tier.... tempting!

Edited by XaW

Holidaying the English Leagues now.  Stopping and saving before the last match day (April 24) and then holidaying until the day before the reset date (traditionally June 20th).  I will report which date sees different teams available.  I recall there was a problem with the last FM19 update and when different teams were available.

I'm actually thinking of playing in Norway with Follo (my local team) since they are located in the (unplayable) 4th tier. But since the league is visible (like the French one), I have to do it slowly to make sure my team is promoted to the 3rd tier! :D

Germany reset date is June 19th, but saving on the 18th does NOT give you different teams each load. It appears that whatever was introduced in FM19 is here again and you need to save at an earlier date before the game picks the teams to be promoted.

1 minute ago, SuperRedditch said:

Germany reset date is June 19th, but saving on the 18th does NOT give you different teams each load. It appears that whatever was introduced in FM19 is here again and you need to save at an earlier date before the game picks the teams to be promoted.

Last league fixture in the Vanarama N/S is April 25. Currently simming to April 24. Thanks for this info. 

25 minutes ago, keeper#1 said:

Last league fixture in the Vanarama N/S is April 25. Currently simming to April 24. Thanks for this info. 

Yeah reset day for England is June 24 so am now working my way back a month at a time to try and work out where the date is. This is an annoying addition to the game :mad: 

A hint, make sure to look at the responsibilities asap! I'm just into the first day and I had a staff member try to buy a player for the 2nd team already!

7 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

Yeah reset day for England is June 24 so am now working my way back a month at a time to try and work out where the date is. This is an annoying addition to the game :mad: 

It’s either the last league game or playoff final date. 

So, I've taken over Follo in my native Norway.

XZuKvcu.png

So far the team looks nice, but I also got this message about my next batch of youth players!

R6sIXsW.png

As far as I can tell, the biggest gaps in the squad are the left backs, so I'm very happy to see I have a "healthy number of new full backs" coming through soon!

26 minutes ago, keeper#1 said:

The Playoff Final is May 16. 

21 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

I'm thinking it's when all leagues are finished not just the ones we need though as they do change after that date from what I've seen.

It's 100% around the date of the football league playoffs. I've tried from May 22 and the teams change so will try for the day after the playoffs now. 

I don't if this is new or something last year that I missed but when picking your starting attributes you can select the style of manager you want to be.

Can pick from Default, Disciplinarian, Motivator, Youth Development, Knowledgeable, Tactician, Taskmasker.

Obviously went with Youth Development 

Capture.thumb.PNG.07ef7df89313bcde5d75551231fdb2b2.PNG

First attempt got my preferred Stalybridge, decent sized squad, very pleased. 
Then I realised, no keeper :seagull:

might have to give this one a rethink

edit - sod it i'm gonna stick an outfield player in goal and go for broke till the youth intake!

Edited by Brother Ben

Does anyone know the actual cost of each facilities upgrade level?

If not can you guys please post how much it costs on your season reviews? Curious to see how it differs by country if at all. I've tried to look up how much it costs in England ever since FM16 with no luck.

Also think it would also help out the new players decide what they want to upgrade first.

Edited by Deicide

It will be interesting to see how the club philosophies play into this challenge. I noticed a lot of promoted clubs in England want you to sign under 23's and none wanted to develop youth. I imagine the board could be quicker to sack you if you aren't moving up the leagues fast and aren't meeting the philosophies. 

On the plus side, 8 up from step 3 will give you more sides to choose from. 

1 hour ago, davenumber40 said:

It will be interesting to see how the club philosophies play into this challenge. I noticed a lot of promoted clubs in England want you to sign under 23's and none wanted to develop youth. I imagine the board could be quicker to sack you if you aren't moving up the leagues fast and aren't meeting the philosophies. 

On the plus side, 8 up from step 3 will give you more sides to choose from. 

Yeah this, and also that the promoted sides seem to have about maximum 2 youth team players signed from the holidayed season :(

51 minutes ago, schnauzer said:

Yeah this, and also that the promoted sides seem to have about maximum 2 youth team players signed from the holidayed season :(

This is an issue, as I mentioned further up the thread, if I want to be Stalybridge i'm going to have to reload until one of those 2 or 3 is a keeper as the first season all they have is a guy on loan

25 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

This is an issue, as I mentioned further up the thread, if I want to be Stalybridge i'm going to have to reload until one of those 2 or 3 is a keeper as the first season all they have is a guy on loan

Yep it's frustrating, I have seen Poole also have the same problem of having no goalkeeper. @darren1983 is playing (but not signing) greyed out players allowed?

10 minutes ago, schnauzer said:

Yep it's frustrating, I have seen Poole also have the same problem of having no goalkeeper. @darren1983 is playing (but not signing) greyed out players allowed?

It's usually something we try and avoid but I can't really see any other way around it for this. Doesn't really give the player any advantage. As long as they're not signed then I guess it's OK.

Took a year off FM last year but I'm back in this year in Portugal. I can't exactly confirm the league reset date, but it's somewhere between the 22nd and 29th June (I didn't have to reload so I didn't narrow it down any further than that). There are tons of teams to choose from, but I went with the team from the Azores - Lusitania Acores

Being totally out of practice I expect this to be a complete disaster but we shall see!

Lost my best three players on free transfers because they were non-contract players. I tried offering them full time deals but they wanted too much money so off they went too greener pastures and I got nothing. 

Trying again in England. 

After a false start in Germany, I've moved on to England with Bognor Regis Town.

1829816260_FootballManager202011_1_201911_40_25PM.thumb.png.d48748fea8afe0f2b2f6af2d1c1e3627.png

The club isn't asking a lot to start off with.  Just keep the club in the MANarama National League South (we are pre-season 23rd) and reach the 3rd Qualifying Round of the FA Cup.

1114309538_FootballManager202011_1_201911_41_37PM.thumb.png.1e004e979e221dd880a7fceceb56f302.png

We've got a small roster.  This is everybody - senior, U23 and U18 players.

1102390364_FootballManager202011_2_201912_09_33AM.thumb.png.482ce335558156437662c866661cfc56.png

Meet the new manager of Mantova 1911.

Mantova 1911 are somewhat of a fallen mini-giant. They have just been promoted from Serie D into Serie C/A but have played in Serie B only a decade ago.

Facilities and Youth setup look pretty decent for a club at this level and ideal for this challenge.

There is a playing squad of 12 players. Although several of these need contract renewals ASAP. It looks like two of the better players will leave for free.

We do have a goalkeeper, Peiro Garda. He's only 15yrs old and has a remarkable amount of facial hair for someone so young. He's at the right place to get plenty of first team opportunities.

There are no staff on the books, but contracts have been offered to an U20 and U18 manager before I arrived.

Expectations are low. I'm only expected to get them to a relegation playoff. For the next five years.

It almost feels like they'll be disappointed if I achieve more.

3 hours ago, Fastbasher said:

The Italian leagues had already reset on the 29th June for me. It could have been earlier. I went to save the game on the 29th June and noticed they had already reset.

Cheers, I'll have a little play around now and try and get the right day. 

Somewhat off-topic, but is anybody else finding the 3D viewing is much lower resolution and more laggy than the previous years?

My laptop had no issues running decent graphics last year but this year it's struggling even on medium quality... Is this just a beta thing?