"Proper" careers

DamianJMcGrath

10 minutes ago, DamianJMcGrath said:

Are there any careers in here that don't use the 3 striker exploit, or any downloadable tactics, or any amended databases? 

Nope. Not a single one. We're a collective hive mind who all play three striker formations. :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

Yours if you would like to write one. I'd follow. :)

I'm planning on starting one soon with Bristol Rovers (my local team) or starting unemployed in Portugal which I did in FM13 and enjoyed it. 

I'll warn you now though, it won't be a success story. I'm awful at the game and am purposely avoiding known exploits and every decision I made will attempt to be as realistic as possible. It'll be a long hard story! 

3 minutes ago, DamianJMcGrath said:

I'm planning on starting one soon with Bristol Rovers (my local team) or starting unemployed in Portugal which I did in FM13 and enjoyed it. 

I'll warn you now though, it won't be a success story. I'm awful at the game and am purposely avoiding known exploits and every decision I made will attempt to be as realistic as possible. It'll be a long hard story! 

In which case both withnail and deltablue have fm13 threads and deltablue has been sack a few times and is currently at SC Herenveen, whilst withnail is managing Inverness. 🙂

1 minute ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

In which case both withnail and deltablue have fm13 threads and deltablue has been sack a few times and is currently at SC Herenveen, whilst withnail is managing Inverness. 🙂

I'll do a FM18 game, maybe today. I'd like the refreshment of reading a struggling story, so maybe I'll just write one! 

1 minute ago, DamianJMcGrath said:

I'll do a FM18 game, maybe today. I'd like the refreshment of reading a struggling story, so maybe I'll just write one! 

Forewarning, my thread uses the 3 striker tactic but it's taken me 40 seasons to get to the championship so I don't know wether you'd be interested in that?

1 minute ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

Forewarning, my thread uses the 3 striker tactic but it's taken me 40 seasons to get to the championship so I don't know wether you'd be interested in that?

Sounds like the exploit hasn't worked that well for you :D:D

I'll give it a read, I like slow realistic careers, and seeing who people buy and how they manage having no money. 

1 minute ago, JDeeguain said:

I tried to start a career before but the AI went to 3 striker 3-4-3 when chasing a goal so I had to delete the save there and then because they were cheating.

Fair play. I had to uninstall the game recently because I found that three of my players were in the box at the same time. It was just too close to having three strikers. 

There's plenty of careers here played in all sorts of different ways, including what you would consider "proper", and both having wild success, wild struggles, and anything in between. Indeed I'd say most people here use their own tactics, without "exploits", without edits.

You could easily find this by just browsing around until you found a career you enjoyed reading, instead of coming here and basically directly attacking people. Unless the whole point was to go on a wind-up, in which case, congrats, it's working.

5 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

I found that three of my players were in the box at the same time.

Man, I've done things I'm not proud of, sometimes needs must. I was just a young girl trying to pay her way through college.

No need to broadcast it on the forum though....

3 minutes ago, noikeee said:

There's plenty of careers here played in all sorts of different ways, including what you would consider "proper", and both having wild success, wild struggles, and anything in between. Indeed I'd say most people here use their own tactics, without "exploits", without edits.

You could easily find this by just browsing around until you found a career you enjoyed reading, instead of coming here and basically directly attacking people. Unless the whole point was to go on a wind-up, in which case, congrats, it's working.

No direct attacking here, that requires 3 strikers. :cool:

I don't think having a pop was my intention. I only asked if there were any careers that were being played to my own preferences. I didn't criticise anyone for doing anything, I was just asking for something different. I thought I was clear enough about that but apologies if I wasn't. 

27 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Fair play. I had to uninstall the game recently because I found that three of my players were in the box at the same time. It was just too close to having three strikers. 

Odd point, as one scenario is you attacking well and the other scenario is a known obvious exploit. Doesn't really make any sense. 

Anyway, my intention wasn't to criticise anyone's game - you can play how you like. I was merely searching for something played in a different way. 

3 minutes ago, DamianJMcGrath said:

Anyway, my intention wasn't to criticise anyone's game - you can play how you like. I was merely searching for something played in a different way. 

That's not the way it seems in the comments you leave in other people's threads (I've seen at least a couple of them). I can understand you are not into the 3 striker or exploits, but why would someone say ''another useless thread" to someone? It's a game, and therefore we are all free to play as we like it, so for me all the careers are "proper" cause they all played in Football Manager. So relax and play it your way, but don't disrepect others for playing it their way also. Cheers!

1 hour ago, DamianJMcGrath said:

Odd point, as one scenario is you attacking well and the other scenario is a known obvious exploit. Doesn't really make any sense. 

Oh, mate. 

To flip this thread from something negative into a positive for FMCU, I'd be happy to start a contributory thread with more "LLM" like rules, using a variant of 442. Anybody who wants to contribute can do so and I will update the 2nd post with who's joined. Everyone welcome.

I won't be giving up on my NIR save but this would be a nice aside and provide a support network for those playing this way.

23 minutes ago, smp20 said:

To flip this thread from something negative into a positive for FMCU, I'd be happy to start a contributory thread with more "LLM" like rules, using a variant of 442. Anybody who wants to contribute can do so and I will update the 2nd post with who's joined. Everyone welcome.

I won't be giving up on my NIR save but this would be a nice aside and provide a support network for those playing this way.

I *might*(no promises) be interested in this depending on your ground rules.  Admittedly though, I'm not much of a fan of a flat 4-4-2 in FM.

Absolutely ridiculous to come in here and criticise members for the way they play their saves. :herman: 

I used three up top for my AC London save, couldn't care less. Using two up top now, may switch to a three if another decent youth prospect comes through my academy. ;)

Can't wait for your first thread, the scrutiny awaits! :brock:

2 hours ago, DamianJMcGrath said:

I didn't criticise anyone for doing anything

Really?

You referred to @smp20's thread as pointless. “Another career using the 3 striker exploit. Pointless.”

You also went off on Marc. 

“If you're going to play like this, why not just take over as manager of your opposition, play their worst players then resign. 

Or give yourself a billion quid. 

Its weird why you'd use some exploits and not others. Just go the whole hog. Credibility is shot to **** anyway. Have fun.”

Those are just two examples. People will play how they want to play. If they want to use three up top, so be it. Not every three striker tactic is an exploit. If they're playing with three advanced forwards, they probably are exploiting the game but so what if someone is playing with two inside forwards or three strikers with different roles? Doesn't necessarily mean it's an exploit tactic. Many big teams have used 4-3-3 or a similar variant and qcheiver great success with it. It's only natural that users will try to replicate these tactics and that these formations do well in-game too. 

And even if they are using a tactic that is definitely an exploit, as long as they're up front about it, so what? If you don't like it, don't read or comment on it. 

9 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Really?

You referred to @smp20's thread as pointless. “Another career using the 3 striker exploit. Pointless.”

You also went off on Marc. 

“If you're going to play like this, why not just take over as manager of your opposition, play their worst players then resign. 

Or give yourself a billion quid. 

Its weird why you'd use some exploits and not others. Just go the whole hog. Credibility is shot to **** anyway. Have fun.”

Those are just two examples. People will play how they want to play. If they want to use three up top, so be it. Not every three striker tactic is an exploit. If they're playing with three advanced forwards, they probably are exploiting the game but so what if someone is playing with two inside forwards or three strikers with different roles? Doesn't necessarily mean it's an exploit tactic. Many big teams have used 4-3-3 or a similar variant and qcheiver great success with it. It's only natural that users will try to replicate these tactics and that these formations do well in-game too. 

And even if they are using a tactic that is definitely an exploit, as long as they're up front about it, so what? If you don't like it, don't read or comment on it. 

Those weren't criticisms. I said it was pointless for me to read it because I was after something else. I also said if he's going to exploit one thing, why not lots of things? That isn't a criticism, it's an observation. I definitely don't get allowing yourself to exploit one thing but not another. This exploit works so well, it's just like giving yourself money, so if you want to play the game that way, fine! But you may as well exploit everything! 

People can play how they like but I still find it weird when they seek approval from others by posting in here with an exploitative save. I find that strange and a misrepresentation of their game skills. 

That said, I don't wish to argue. I'm glad my post, whether you disagree or not, could potentially spark some new threads being created that would be interesting for me to participate in or read. 

1 hour ago, ToMexico!! said:

Absolutely ridiculous to come in here and criticise members for the way they play their saves. :herman: 

I used three up top for my AC London save, couldn't care less. Using two up top now, may switch to a three if another decent youth prospect comes through my academy. ;)

Can't wait for your first thread, the scrutiny awaits! :brock:

I don't wish to keep saying the same things, I think the discussion has been had. But my own personal view is, if you get success by exploiting the games weakness, it isn't really right to describe your career as if you've done well to manage it. I don't expect to change anyone's view, I was just expressing my opinion. 

By the way, my own save will be easy to scrutinise - not for these reasons, but because I'll be struggling in the same division for years, no doubt! 

35 minutes ago, DamianJMcGrath said:

I don't wish to keep saying the same things, I think the discussion has been had. But my own personal view is, if you get success by exploiting the games weakness, it isn't really right to describe your career as if you've done well to manage it. I don't expect to change anyone's view, I was just expressing my opinion. 

By the way, my own save will be easy to scrutinise - not for these reasons, but because I'll be struggling in the same division for years, no doubt! 

New contribution thread is up - come aboard! I'm sticking with my NIR save and playing it my way, but I'm going to have an aside save as well for the contribution thread. Should be a good one.

I don't know what the 3 Striker exploit is? I use a 4-2-3-1 Wide exploit maybe? Since it wins wherever I take it in FM18.(Liverpool, HK, Hertha, Forest Green, Viktoria Plzen etc.) And just adjust the roles to the team I'm managing.

But I will try smp's new approach when I get home. 

This is the only proper thread in this entire subforum. 

Thank you for bringing the 3-striker exploit to my attention, Damian.

Soon I shall taketh over the world with my newly downloaded 3-striker formation. Cya on the bottom losers.

I usually just get the best ass man I can find and then follow his suggestions when it comes to formations and tactics. In the last version of the game I have played, however (FM16), I have found it nigh impossible to win no matter what I did. So maybe I should start "cheating"...

1 minute ago, dllu said:

I usually just get the best ass man I can find and then follow his suggestions when it comes to formations and tactics. In the last version of the game I have played, however (FM16), I have found it nigh impossible to win no matter what I did. So maybe I should start "cheating"...

I don't see any formation as 'cheating'. No formation will win every match, and people are entitled to use players in whatever positions they want, just as in real life

This thread reminds me of the time I was walking to the pub with my missus. 

We were coming up to a newsagents on the other side of the road, where it seemed that a few of the staff were protesting the crap conditions they were working under. 

On our side, coming towards us, were two mothers pushing dual prams, taking up the whole pavement.

The missus nudged me and said we should move. I said “Why? I’m not crossing to three strikers!”

I can see it now.. 

"Liverpool just needs to hold on three more minutes to win the Premier League . But what's this? It looks like Mane has moved into a striking position? You can't have three strikers!

Under the McGrath ruling the referee is pointing to the sheds, and awarding Huddersfield the victory by default. It's all over here folks." 

Hi DamianJMcGrath

I know you don't want this to drag on much longer but I followed your thread on this topic in GD with interest (though other people already said a lot of what I would have) and feel I should finally chip in on this.

Presumably you now understand that you can't just go into people's career threads and challenge them in the manner you've been doing. You may not like how other people play the game but that's their choice to make and it's not your place to judge them for it. Some people on here instant result or holiday through matches and that's something I'd never consider doing as I wouldn't feel I'd be experiencing the game in a way I'd find fulfilling but I can still respect that other people do it without attacking or questioning them. 

It doesn't help that this has always been a friendly and harmonious part of the forums, where even people who sometimes get caught up in controversy on other forums are able to avoid getting involved in any trouble, so that made your approach particularly out of place. You may have not intended to rock the boat as much as you did, but some of your comments were never going to be taken any other way, especially as career threads are in many ways someone's personal artistic space (well that's how I see it anyway) and not to be violated in such a manner. I'm usually a very mild-mannered person but I wouldn't have reacted well if you'd posted such things on my thread, that's for sure.

You also seem to take an irrational 'all crimes are equal' approach to any violation of what you see as the 'proper' way of playing the game. Last autumn we had someone on here who edited the hell out of the database for his Liverpool save, clearly boosting Salah in particular, trying to edit his screenshots (poorly) to try and hide the unrealistic amount of goals scored and 3-figure goal difference, while claiming to have found newgens who were already world class at 16, going way beyond anything you're accusing anyone on here of. He was repeatedly mocked and attacked for it with a lot of justification as someone who had broken the spirit of the forums in a very big way. As you can see there are standards and we do deal with them on the rare occasions they crop up, so we're not some sort of 'anything goes, we don't care' community.

Nor are we all 'at it'. I have used 3 forwards but long ago (7 years ago was the last time I think, before I started contributing on here) and as something that fitted my squad. Even having known about it as an 'exploit' for a while I certainly wouldn't switch to it on that basis. My tactic is very much my own and always has been on here, sticking to 2 up front (which I'm a firm believer in) and modified based on what I feel I need to do, not downloaded or taking advantage of anything I happen to know about as an exploit, 3 up front or otherwise. No doubt most people on here are also aware of such things but many people are capable of not using them. I've never run a career save (documented or otherwise) with any sort of edits either.

You're perfectly welcome to do your own career and thread in any way you wish, but you have to respect that the rest of us do our careers according to our own preferences, not yours or anyone elses, and certainly not judge whether they're being done 'properly' or not. After all career threads are clearly a lot more enjoyable when the people doing them are feeling satisfied and motivated with how things are going, which isn't the same thing as being successful. It's just a matter of what approach they feel suits them. :)

21 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

This thread reminds me of the time I was walking to the pub with my missus. 

We were coming up to a newsagents on the other side of the road, where it seemed that a few of the staff were protesting the crap conditions they were working under. 

On our side, coming towards us, were two mothers pushing dual prams, taking up the whole pavement.

The missus nudged me and said we should move. I said “Why? I’m not crossing to three strikers!”

Billedresultat for slow clap

I can understand what the OP is saying, as I too just want to read about peoples careers playing in a fair manner without cheats or gamey tactics, usually LLM ones, but it is difficult until you read deep into many of them what they are doing. I do disagree though, about jumping into peoples specific career threads, just to criticise them though.

As far as I am concerned people can play how they want, but if a game is using exploits or cheats to play their career I am not interested in wasting my time reading it, Many threads you can tell at a glance how someone is playing, & if it is not the way you would play, can soon move on, & have no problem with it. Where I do have a problem is when people uses exploits without informing anyone, then act on what a marvellous job they are doing. You soon get an idea on how people are playing anyway, as unless someone is a really excellent player, some wouldn't get the success they are getting without using underhand methods.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, but it would be nice if at the beginning of a career writers would say how they are playing, so people know whether the career is for them or not.

To smp20, that is a good idea setting up a thread like that, & will come over to read it.

On 24/08/2018 at 09:36, DamianJMcGrath said:

Are there any careers in here that don't use the 3 striker exploit, or any downloadable tactics, or any amended databases? 

I'd love to read a proper career in FM18 that doesn't have to rely on effectively cheats. 

Can anyone point me to one that's a good read? 

Thanks

I have no interest in using exploits or downloadable tactics and the same level of interest in reading about them. However, it is up to each individual as to how they want to play. He or she has paid for their game, it is their right to play how they like.

As for amended databases... what is wrong with using something like a database that expands leagues down further levels, eg England down to level 10?

I read the original GD thread that this was based off/on, but missed this one.  Wow, what a car crash.  Can only presume now that this one was created first, and after getting roundly told to GTF, the GD thread was started as some attempt to get hauners.  Yes, in this situation, the people that are CHEATING are definitely the tragic ones.

Anyway, I'm off to find as many 3-striker formations as I can, then write a 400,000 word opus about them.

Archived