2018 World Cup squads

PMLF

28 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

People trying to defend the Sane decision saying he hasn't played well for Germany, he's started 6 games for them, less than Lingard has for England :D 

In those matches he probably failed to make the impact Löw wanted to see from him. It's a pity but these things can happen when you have so many good players available like Germany has. 

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody, including myself, remembered what happened last year during Confederations Cup.

Sane was called up, but he said he was injured and didn't play in the end. Nobody was called as a replacement.

Low didn't forget that and was very mad at the time. Because he could've stated he'd have a procedure and wouldn't even be called up in the first place.

The injury was some kind of nose operation, he could've clearly played but decided it would be better to do the procedure.

He spent the time during Confederations Cup on vacation in the USA.

And now he'll also be on the vacation during the World Cup.

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Nobody, including myself, remembered what happened last year during Confederations Cup.

Sane was called up, but he said he was injured and didn't play in the end. Nobody was called as a replacement.

Low didn't forget that and was very mad at the time. Because he could've stated he'd have a procedure and wouldn't even be called up in the first place.

The injury was some kind of nose operation, he could've clearly played but decided it would be better to do the procedure.

He spent the time during Confederations Cup on vacation in the USA.

And now he'll also be on the vacation during the World Cup.

Well that's fair enough!

4 hours ago, pearcey_90 said:

Did anyone watch the Confed Cup last summer?

He was awesome in that. Had he had a bit more luck and instead of hitting woodwork and his shot flying instead people would have suddenly different views which makes it a joke. 

Helps other countries though him not being there.

Are you sure he played?

1 hour ago, Baptista_8 said:

Tactics wise or personality wise?

Take this with a grain of salt, unconfirmed rumor and all that but apparently he didn't seem to "click" with some of his teammates. And team chemistry is very important to Low, that's why he chose Brandt instead of him. 

Just now, Constantine said:

Take this with a grain of salt, unconfirmed rumor and all that but apparently he didn't seem to "click" with some of his teammates. And team chemistry is very important to Low, that's why he chose Brandt instead of him. 

This I would definitely take with a grain of salt. He's hardly the only German from City, or from Schalke, or from a different age-group. Low did however say it was either him or Brandt, comparing it to a photo finish in a sprint race. Personally I'd take both and leave Rudy, but there would be no DMs in the squad. Then again, if I were to draft in a DM, Rudy would not be my choice. One of the Bender bros or Weigl could've been an option. Even Hector can play DM, and play Plattenhardt on the left if needed.

7 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

The mistake here is thinking that club form necessarily means the player is better for the national team as well. Özil is a player that has done better at the national team in the past and has more experience, so he is a more reliable option than Sané.

7 hours ago, DB08 said:

Exactly what georginho said. Sane hasn't really been good for Germany and while it is surprising to see him excluded, it isn't a huge shock.

14 goals, 19 assists and been quality this season. it is a shock. Why isn't it? Like someone else said, he could have left out Rudy imo. Sane is also a good game changer if they wasn't going to start him as he is the only one with real genuine pace.

5 minutes ago, PMLF said:

The mistake here is thinking that club form necessarily means the player is better for the national team as well. 

This is true. Podolski was barely playing at Arsenal if i'm not mistaken, but he was always in Germany squad. And almost always played great. 

7 hours ago, LilSaint said:

Tbf I was expecting Benteke and Michy to both be selected. Benteke obviously had a horrendous season, but I don't think 3 attackers is too much for a world cup.
Lukaku is always going to start though, will just have to hope he stays fit. Kompany the biggest concern atm - although I'm almost hoping he doesn't get fit in time. He's been too much of a liability over the past few years when it comes to his fitness.
It's not going to be beneficial to have him in the team if he picks up yet another injury after 1 game.

There was no need for three CF, especially as none of them are versatile too. They only play with one CF. Worst case scenario, Mertens or Hazard can play as false no.9

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Well, both them and Brazil are missing some caps because they didn't participate in qualifiers for last two world cups.

France also didn't play the qualifiers in 2016.

There are friendlies, but coaches always experiment in those.

Brazil only have 6 players from the 2014 WC. I think we miss caps mostly due to 1) Daniel Alves getting injured and 2) having a pretty young and inexperienced squad.

Say what you want about Sane's form for the NT not being anything like his form was for City but him being left out of the squad is still a huge shock.

Stories about his attitude being a bit too laid back and not having a great relationship with the other players in the NT too.

Was one of the players I fancied to announce himself on the world stage and was a big reason why I have been saying Germany to win the whole thing when asked.

49 minutes ago, Russell10 said:

Does Mertens start for Belgium?

he could be a shout for TGS

He's always been a supersub, but he did start against Portugal. Fancy him to be in the starting XI in Russia with the way Martinez sets up the team

7 hours ago, LilSaint said:

He's always been a supersub, but he did start against Portugal. Fancy him to be in the starting XI in Russia with the way Martinez sets up the team

he must be in the starting XI surely

Hazard-Lukaku-Mertens up front seems like first choice, with Chadli as alternative

Renato Augusto under a big risk of getting cut from the squad due to left knee pains.

Hopefully Arthur will be called up to replace him if that happens.

16 hours ago, buffalo said:

he must be in the starting XI surely

Hazard-Lukaku-Mertens up front seems like first choice, with Chadli as alternative

Yea I think it's most likely those 3 start up front. I'd hope so at least.
Reckon Januzaj will be more likely to fill in for Mertens' position, Chadli plays left wing back alternating with Carrasco

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Pleased for him, always liked him at United though I am surprised that he made the cut as I didn't hear much in terms of him doing all that much at Sociedad last season. 

Nor me, although I do think he's a quality player. A Martinez type as well.

13 hours ago, Constantine said:

Is Arthur really that good in RL as he is in FM?

Yes, actually better as he is still improving.

9 hours ago, adhikapp said:

I would've thought that Giuliano would be drafted instead if Augusto doesn't make it?

Giuliano is a more attack minded player than Renato Augusto and Arthur. Anyway, Renato Augusto's condition improved and it seems he won't be cut after all.

6 hours ago, craigcwwe said:

Pleased for him, always liked him at United though I am surprised that he made the cut as I didn't hear much in terms of him doing all that much at Sociedad last season. 

apparently he was better towards the end of the season so who knows, players in form can surprise vs the tired "star players" after a long season

51 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

Ideally Alba-Carvajal, but it looks like Carvajal might still be injured after the Champions League final. Odriozola would be more likely to take his place over Azpi and Nacho.

Odriozola is ahead of Azpi? Isn't Nacho a CB?

23 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Odriozola is ahead of Azpi? Isn't Nacho a CB?

Yes. Azpi and Nacho are bought as cover for Ramos & Pique. Nacho did play as RB in the Champions League final when Carvajal got off injured.

9 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

Yes. Azpi and Nacho are bought as cover for Ramos & Pique. Nacho did play as RB in the Champions League final when Carvajal got off injured.

Cool! Must admit I've not seen much of Nacho.

Nacho is sorta like prime O'Shea. Can play anywhere in Madrid's defense without declining the overall team's performance, but no way do you play him over the first choices Madrid already has (Marcelo-Ramos-Varane-Carvajal). Plus, he adds to the club-based homegrown-quota for Champions League registration purposes. 

He really should, but it's not guaranteed.

Formation will be 4-2-3-1 with Modrić at no10, Rakitić and probably Badelj (maybe Brozović) behind him.

Perišić is a lock on the left wing and Mandžukić will  also surely start.

Kramarić isn't that good in the winger role, but he's a much better player than Rebić, who's natural winger.

Coach's lack of flexibility is pretty bad, but that was always a problem.

Except for Perišić Croatia didn't have a single class winger basically ever, but yet everyone insists on 4-2-3-1 ever since Bilić left.

But I think there will be something similar to game in Ukraine. Kramarić and Mandžukić switching positions throughout the game.

Archived