Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've actually had the idea in my head for months now, especially after remembering a thread I really wanted to put in it. There are still a few things I never really got around to deciding about it.

Can't catch a break with a save this year... I think I'm going back to FM11 for a while. Don't have much time to explore tactical details (and I'm not really good at that either) so in my favourite version of the game I still have some good setups. Tbh the only thing that is worse in FM11 is the lack of "add to scouting pool" option - I have to select 20/30 players and assign these batches to each scout.

Having some great fun with my Cyprus save at the moment. Into 2024/25 starting from the Third Division

38b5ee7d833fa9e5dca99527b5f73400.png

Our main highlight from this season so far, slightly disappointing as I went in gunning for the win but the comeback from 3-0 down was spectacular. Targeting the QFs after qualifying with a game in hand

739874e36a5992014784a267b8ef13fd.png

Only downside at the moment is the lack of quality opponents in the First Division bar APOEL, given the other teams don't have great players I think it hampers our youth development by a small margin. Anyone have tips on how to improve other sides? My only thoughts so far are buying players for overinflated prices so they can get better players in.

But given the fact we leak money like a sieve I'm a bit reticent to do so.

I'll be away in France from tomorrow until Sunday afternoon. Hopefully other mods will pop in to approve posts and stuff but if not then at least you know why I'm not doing anything or getting back to you until the end of the week. I hope you all behave yourselves ;)

He used to post over in OTF Singles Thread, and he kept harping on about how he's dating this 19 year old called Vicky, and how attractive she was, and this, that and the other. He also posted on Twitter about his love life too, and even included the odd photo or two of her after he'd had a few drinks. He never shut up about her, which was always the weird thing. After the initial "ah well played mate, you've done well there", what more can anyone say? How can someone be that besotted by someone that they need to keep tweeting photos of her and tweeting how much he misses her???

Anyway, long story short, it was found out that he was actually lying about this, as someone (somehow) managed to track down the actual girl, who was indeed called Vicky, and asked her if she had a boyfriend called Tom and she knew absolutely nothing about it. So Tom was confronted about the matter, and he just vanished - deleting his twitter account and stopping posting on these forums, never to be seen again.

One of the greatest modern day mysteries, still leaves a few unanswered questions.

- Did he even know this girl?

- She was from the same area as him, maybe he know of her, and just fell in love and built up this imaginary scenario in his head the whole time, trying to convince himself that it's true?

- Why did he not lie about the name and age?

- What was he trying to prove to anyone?

Moral of the story - people on the internet are strange, kids :D

I'm taking forever to finish my 2nd season with Austria Wien. Just haven't had much time to play the game lately, also occasionally entertained with other stuff when I do have time, but it's getting there.

Have picked up 10 points in 4 away games (2 games were against top 4 teams) and 1 in 3 home games (two were against relegation strugglers). Early days in my second season just yet, though.

I'm at Honved in Hugary, by the way.

Just closed the gap on Bayern to 3 points with 5 games left... I don't think we will win it but to be this close this late in the season is ridiculous. We were predicted 15th :D 19 clean sheets in 29 games certainly helps. If only we could have avoided so many silly draws (0-0 draws, at that), we'd probably win the league tbh.

Due to massive pressure at work I just don't have the time or energy to play FM right now. This just to let you know that I haven't given up on my career saves and will be getting back to them when I can. And I am still following threads on the forum, even if I don't post much myself at the moment... :)

So, I've been lurking these boards for apparently quite a while now, posting every so often in seemingly random places. And I've just started a new career on FM16 so I thought about having a go at these career updates. I usually have quite a bit of fun playing and end up with some interesting career routes, which thanks to classen's updates can go to some rather odd places. I thought that surely someone must be interested. So, my question is: What sort of details do people like seeing? How much detail on the club situation do people like? I can play quite solidly for a while so updates on a single month probably won't happen. Should I focus on season summaries or are varied time period updates ok? I have looked at quite a few threads and seen what people do, but I was just wondering on advice on the matter.

Due to massive pressure at work I just don't have the time or energy to play FM right now. This just to let you know that I haven't given up on my career saves and will be getting back to them when I can. And I am still following threads on the forum, even if I don't post much myself at the moment... :)

I'm still freaked out about my laptop.

But I deleted FM and redownloaded it, and it holidayed through almost a full year without any trouble, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So, I've been lurking these boards for apparently quite a while now, posting every so often in seemingly random places. And I've just started a new career on FM16 so I thought about having a go at these career updates. I usually have quite a bit of fun playing and end up with some interesting career routes, which thanks to classen's updates can go to some rather odd places. I thought that surely someone must be interested. So, my question is: What sort of details do people like seeing? How much detail on the club situation do people like? I can play quite solidly for a while so updates on a single month probably won't happen. Should I focus on season summaries or are varied time period updates ok? I have looked at quite a few threads and seen what people do, but I was just wondering on advice on the matter.

I don't actually know so here are just my thoughts and what I figured.

I figure most people won't want something too long, but need enough detail to be invested in it. It's a bit of a conundrum, because there's not too much point showing off a screenshot of your squad when they play in the Brazilian Third Division and no one will recognise any of them, but they still need to be able to invest in this team you have so you might have to present it differently.

Pictures are nice, but it depends on if you can be arsed to screenshot and upload so many, and also for some people too many pics will take too long to load and be a bit messy anyway.

I think layout is one of the most important things - people would rather read a mini-bible laid out in an easy-to-read way than a short wall of text. Maybe avoid meaningless info. You COULD write a description with every result you list, but do people really need to know how someone scored (unless it was a curler from the halfway line by Jaap Stam) or how much possession you had? A list of your results and a summary of your general performance might be more apt there, for example.

In the end we're all doing this blind until someone gives specific feedback, which they usually won't, you'll be informed when people are reading it and they'll give praise or encouragement or comments on the game. Even if you did get constructive criticism, what that person likes might be what 10 people hate.

I reckon the single most important thing is gimmick. I'm completely assuming, but I reckon not many will be interested in a standard save. Everyone's doing diaries with self-given restrictions or madcap aims like winning a trophy in every league or winning things with Insert Worst Team In Game that are different but can interest everyone. You could just play a normal game as your favourite team Southampton, but only a few people will also be Southampton supporters.

But this is all if you're aiming for views, you might just want people to share in your story. FM is one of those games where everyone wants to tell everyone else their story that no one else cares about, so here you can actually share your story without making badly disguised threads or posts no one reads, because everyone here actually wants to read it!

First, don't worry about what people want to see. If you start writing purely thinking about how to appeal to others, then you probably won't enjoy it much yourself. Instead, just write and update in the way you want to, and the way that you enjoy. Everyone has a different style, and for the most part people will be interested in what you say no matter how you say it.

My advice is pretty simple - enjoy your save. The more you enjoy it, the more interest it will generate. As for how you write it, that's entirely up to you.

Personally I like to see a few images to help draw me in, but then again I'm happy to read lots of text too in a strong thread, so lots of styles work.

As for how regular you update, I'd suggest that depends on how fast you play. It takes me an age to play as season, so I update my thread on a monthly basis to keep it going, but if you fly through seasons in a couple of days you can perhaps update at the start, middle and end of a year. So whatever feels right.

We all also like different types of threads. I tend to stay away from English threads unless I've followed a certain poster's previous efforts, while I also avoid those that start at massive clubs. Other people however will love English threads and threads at footballing giants, so there will always be an audience, no matter where you start.

Best of luck, anyway. :thup:

Since it's now been made public with an OTF thread (and a Miles tweet before that) I just thought I'd let you guys know (though some of you already do) that the legendary moderator Kriss passed away last night. I must admit that I never really got to know him personally (though he was one of the first people to welcome me after I became a mod) but he still made a bit of an impression on me and many others who have been on the forums for a while, to say nothing of the impact he made on those who did know him, and he kept on going until the very end.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.

I've got a slightly different take on this.

I don't think you should style your updates in a manner in order to gain readers/followers and instead I think you should post your updates in a style that suits not only you, but also your particular save. If people want certain pics or into, then they are usually not backwards in coming forward and there is nothing wrong with appeasing individual requests.

What you really do t want however is the updates to become onerous or a chore. The more invested you are in a save and posting updates about it, then the more likely people are to read it and want to come back after an initial visit.

I have done saves with quite basic updates and also done others with loads of detail, (which I probably my preference), but I go through different stages within a save that might significantly increase or decrease the detail.

With regards to pics, I quite like to offer a choice to the reader. The more important pics Wii be inserted so that they are visible on the page,but other less vital pics might just be linked. This helps with loading times and with those who just wish to skim through threads to see what is going on.

In terms of what I like as a reader, I like something, (a hook if you like), that will catch my eye and make me come back again. It could be the nature of the save or the nature I the updates. Anything at all that makes it stabd out.

What I really like is an update thread with longevity and I like reading those who have a history of sticking with things.

????????

Read:

Since it's now been made public with an OTF thread (and a Miles tweet before that) I just thought I'd let you guys know (though some of you already do) that the legendary moderator Kriss passed away last night. I must admit that I never really got to know him personally (though he was one of the first people to welcome me after I became a mod) but he still made a bit of an impression on me and many others who have been on the forums for a while, to say nothing of the impact he made on those who did know him, and he kept on going until the very end.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.

:(

Which nations are now easy to get quick work permits for foreign players in Europe? Got the option of choosing a feeder club but not sure which nations are good for picking now. Any ideas?

I think Bulgaria is one of the quicker ones, if memory serves me right. Pretty sure that's roughly 1,000 days, rather than the 1800 days required in most European countries.

Bosnia too.

Archived