Has this been the worst major tournament in living memory?

Dave Vessey

Has this been the worst major tournament in living memory?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Has this been the worst major tournament in living memory?

Jeez does anyone really think this is bad...did people not watch any of Italia 90? That makes this tournament like Game of Thrones or something. Worst tournament??? Have a word ffs

We're not all as old as you ;)

I was about 9 months old so dont think I watched any of Italia 90.

Should just be an all-out knockout format. You don't need group stages - that's what the qualifiers were.

In the 70s the qualifying was really to sort out semi finals that were then played in the host country, can't see UEFA doing that again though. We'll have 32 teams within the next couple of bloody tournaments

For me, i'd give this tournament 7/10. It's been ok, but just seems to be going on too long. I think that the main problem has been that a lot of defensive football has been played. And in a lot of games you know that when a team takes the lead, that's it. I don't think there's a really great team in this tournament. The difference between the 'Bigger' and 'Smaller' teams is probably a lot less now too. So it's made for some very evenly matched games, with little excitement.

I'm hoping the France V Germany game will be a classic though, as I think they are the two best teams in the tournament. Hopefully an early goal for either one of them will mean game plans will go out of the window!

But when the football leagues start around Europe in August. I think Euro 2016 will largely be forgotten.

Probably not the worst in living memory, depending on your age, but I think it's been pretty underwhelming. Too many boring matches, and with the new format where almost everybody qualified, it felt like the tournament didn't really begin until after the group stage.

As we come to the end, I think I'd probably say this is the most boring tournament I've witnessed. Earliest world cup/euros I have real recollection of would be Euro 2004 though, so not much choice for me.

3rd place awful, so bored of teams playing for clean sheets & draws & also unfair (Group E effect) IMO. If Portugal win with a win in 90 over the entire tournament - it'd perfectly sum it up

I'm trying to think of anything I'll remember from this, probably jusy the Germany Italy pen shootout unless the final is ridiculous

I really enjoyed Euro 2008 - without England so much of the usual **** was removed that the occasion itself was genuinely enjoyable. 2010 was maybe a bit dull. Euro 2016 has been a cracker though, have really enjoyed it.

I really enjoyed Euro 2008 too. Back when Russia were handy and exciting going forward with Arshavin, Pavluychenko etc.

This tournament is up there with World Cup 2010 for boringness. Dread to think next Euros could have a side like Georgia/Liechtenstein there /o\

the 90 World Cup Final was dire but the 94 edition was probably one of the worst football games I've had to sit through. Brazil and Italy (well Baggio) were good getting through but the game was awful, had about 100k watching it in Pasadena I think as well

however the 94 World Cup is my favourite of all time, apart from the final :D Italia 90 was full of some really bad games, it's more thought of being good because of Pavarotti's theme, England doing well and other things like that. Also Scotland were awful, getting done by Costa Rica in a shocking game

You think Scotland where bad, try being Swedish. We lost 1-2 to Brazil, Scotland and Costa Rica while playing some truly atrocious football. That tournament still bring nightmares to Swedish football fans. :ackter:

That was 1974

Oh. Got them the wrong way round.

Was 1978 the one you beat Holland but lost to Peru and someone Iran? which sounds quite an amazing feat to be honest.

Lost to Peru and drew with Iran

Scotland actually had a genuinely good team around then. I know 1974 was 'Ally's Army' and they thought they were going to win it (bless 'em) but they did actually have a good side but I always thought '78 was a better team

Lost to Peru and drew with Iran

Scotland actually had a genuinely good team around then. I know 1974 was 'Ally's Army' and they thought they were going to win it (bless 'em) but they did actually have a good side but I always thought '78 was a better team

In 74 Scotland were unlucky, and went out unbeaten having drew with Brazil & Yugoslavia, but only managing to beat Zaire 2-0. Yugoslavia managed to crush Zaire 9-0. Mind you, if Scotland managed to beat Zaire 2-0 today there would probably be celebrations in the whole of Scotland.

Zaire still exists, just isn't called Zaire anymore as it's now called the Democratic Republic of the Congo, I doubt Scotland could beat them 9-0 though, maybe wouldn't even beat them as they are not that bad.

Both Argentina and Brazil are messy, there isn't any team that stands out in Europe bu the level is clearly better there than in South America.

can't really think of any final in the last 10 years that has been "good" to be honest, Euros or World Cup

last one for any sort of excitment was probably Euro 2000 with France getting the late goal and then Trezeguet hitting the golden goal winner. Before that it was probably Mexico 86 with Argentina beating West Germany 3-2, something I don't really remember much about but seen highlights of it

For me, i'd give this tournament 7/10. It's been ok, but just seems to be going on too long. I think that the main problem has been that a lot of defensive football has been played. And in a lot of games you know that when a team takes the lead, that's it. I don't think there's a really great team in this tournament. The difference between the 'Bigger' and 'Smaller' teams is probably a lot less now too. So it's made for some very evenly matched games, with little excitement.

I'm hoping the France V Germany game will be a classic though, as I think they are the two best teams in the tournament. Hopefully an early goal for either one of them will mean game plans will go out of the window!

But when the football leagues start around Europe in August. I think Euro 2016 will largely be forgotten.

Wouldn't argue with that. Been some great goals and some good moments but few games you can call absolute classics that you'll remember in several years' time.

I found with quite a few games I'd start watching and then lose interest after 20 minutes. Few games really got me hooked. There was a lot of matches that teams seemed to be playing for a 0-0 or not to do lose heavily. The fact that 3rd place sides qualified didn't help as teams knew goal difference would be crucial so aimed not to lose heavily when they were a goal down instead of going for the equaliser.

Don't think this was the worst tournament I've witnessed. Euro 92 was pretty dire and because England did well in both Italia 90 and Euro 96, we tend to forget both tournaments were not that great.

I'd say World cup 2010 was the worst. Average at best.

I totally forgot how bad the ball was in WC10. :D I swear that completely ruined the quality of football, it seemed so hard to control. And the vuvuzelas ruining the sound. :D

It wasn't good but I still think WC2002 was worse though: all the great players injured or knackered after a long season, Argentina having an incredible team on paper that I was so eager to watch yet didn't work at all, games at stupid hours you could barely watch in Europe when you were in school, underdogs getting through everywhere but not really all that likeable underdogs, just average sides like Turkey, Senegal and the US, and then the bloody hosts who were being helped by the refs to a completely absurd degree, Germany with an awful side bar 2 or 3 players somehow reaching the final despite playing like crap most matches, Rivaldo's most despicable act of playacting ever, and a complete lack of classic matches in the group stages.

Yeah I bloody hated it.

2010 was similar to this Euros. Lots of memorable moments but few quality games (Suarez's handball against Ghana and Gyan missing the penalty, Paraguay missing two penalties against Spain, Lampard's ruled out goal etc)

Well for me Germany's complete demolition of both England and Argentina was very memorable. And I found it enjoyable to watch Spain's tiki-taka at their best (their Euro 2008 run hadn't had such a pronounced playing style). But yeah other than that it wasn't a thrilling competition.

Rivaldo's most despicable act of playacting ever

People care too much about this, fooling the referee is something normal in many places and this was no worse than other situations.

Many people here in Brazil probably don't even remember that as it was not so relevant and happened earlier in the competition.

People care too much about this, fooling the referee is something normal in many places and this was no worse than other situations.

Many people here in Brazil probably don't even remember that as it was not so relevant and happened earlier in the competition.

It was shocking. End of.

I can't believe the Suarez handball was 7m6 years ago.

It was shocking. End of.

I can't believe the Suarez handball was 7m6 years ago.

What Suárez, Maradona, Rivaldo, Túlio did were all the same logic, it would help their teams, so they did it.

I think it was shocking to some as they have unrealistic expectations about how these players see football.

All I know, is that after this I forgot what a great footballer he was & just saw a cynical cheating b*st*rd.

Archived