The Ask-SI-Anything Thread

• SI Staff
48 minutes ago, ChelseaFan said:

Who's the best FMer within SI?

Me, and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

@Stu Coleman is bad, possibly deliberately so.

49 minutes ago, ChelseaFan said:

Any one completed the Dafuge challenge?

For a more serious answer, I take on and complete this most years depending on if a club takes my fancy that time around.

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

Me, and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

@Stu Coleman is bad, possibly deliberately so.

For a more serious answer, I take on and complete this most years depending on if a club takes my fancy that time around.

Any advice for a Dafuge noob? (but love the challenge).

• SI Staff
2 minutes ago, ChelseaFan said:

Any advice for a Dafuge noob (but love the challenge).

Take your time. The Summer, especially between promotions, is vital. I often spend as long, if not longer, between seasons as I do in season due to careful squad reconstructions. Also don't be afraid of a large/quick turnover, sometimes gems become available during the season and your star striker just is not performing, be ruthless.

Also 3-5-2 works very well for me in the lower leagues.

3 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

Take your time. The Summer, especially between promotions, is vital. I often spend as long, if not longer, between seasons as I do in season due to careful squad reconstructions. Also don't be afraid of a large/quick turnover, sometimes gems become available during the season and your star striker just is not performing, be ruthless.

Also 3-5-2 works very well for me in the lower leagues.

3-5-2 with WB or LM/RM?

ST--ST

LM-CM-CM-CM-RM

--CB---CB---CB

• SI Staff
1 minute ago, ChelseaFan said:

3-5-2 with WB or LM/RM?

ST--ST

LM-CM-CM-CM-RM

--CB---CB---CB

- - - ST - ST - - -

- - - - AMC - - - - -

- - - MC - MC - - -

WBL - - - - - WBR

- - DC - DC - DC - -

- - - - - GK - - - - -

I have been playing cm/fm since forever and over the years I have played thousands of matches and I think I saw a keeper foul a striker for a penalty and a red card maybe just a couple of times. Is there something under the hood which makes this kind of situations extremely rare? For example in FM16 and Fm17 I have not seen this even once from my keeper or the AI. 

I'll try again, is it possible to know what effect the team talk during the match are supposed to have, no matter how small the effect?

Do they have a possibility of giving a short attribute boost, do they affect only morale?

Can we have more details on this feature that I used to try using but ended up not bothering with because I just didn't want to use something that could have actually double fired without even knowing if there was going to be any beneficial effect?

Thank you.

• SI Staff
8 minutes ago, Pendraz said:

I'll try again, is it possible to know what effect the team talk during the match are supposed to have, no matter how small the effect?

Do they have a possibility of giving a short attribute boost, do they affect only morale?

Can we have more details on this feature that I used to try using but ended up not bothering with because I just didn't want to use something that could have actually double fired without even knowing if there was going to be any beneficial effect?

Thank you.

They impact morale (body language).

• SI Staff
5 minutes ago, Pendraz said:

Thank you Seb.

All of them impact body language?

Like, for example, push forward, get creative or tighten up impact body language?

Those sound like shouts rather than teamtalks to me? Shouts encourage the players to perform certain tactical things.

I appreciate the answers Seb, I really do.

However as far as I see it, the descriptions are too generic. I mean sure, it's totally fine to define the shouts as "push forward" or "get creative", but they need to have a proper tooltip explaining what you are encouraging your players to do. More forward runs? An increase in attacking mentality? Increasing the directness of the passes? Higher defensive line? Two ore more of these things at the same time?

I'd love to have more details about what which action each shout is affecting. For example demand more, does it affect closing down? Work rate? forward runs? Again, all of this?

I might want or not to use the shout depending on it, I can't use something based on what I personally feel is a vague description.

• SI Staff
6 minutes ago, Pendraz said:

I appreciate the answers Seb, I really do.

However as far as I see it, the descriptions are too generic. I mean sure, it's totally fine to define the shouts as "push forward" or "get creative", but they need to have a proper tooltip explaining what you are encouraging your players to do. More forward runs? An increase in attacking mentality? Increasing the directness of the passes? Higher defensive line? Two ore more of these things at the same time?

I'd love to have more details about what which action each shout is affecting. For example demand more, does it affect closing down? Work rate? forward runs? Again, all of this?

I might want or not to use the shout depending on it, I can't use something based on what I personally feel is a vague description.

This would be better aimed at @Nic Madden as he will know more about it than myself. However, he may be unable to reply (or in great detail) at this time for obvious reasons.

Any issues with the shouts would be well placed in the ME bugs forum :thup:

Thanks for pointing that out herne79, I have read the whole topic.

A few of the shouts are indeed self explanatory and I thought they would affect specific things.

However I don't really understand the last three despite your comment on them, and how a description saying " Give your players more creative freedom in the hope they can fashion goalscoring opportunities." could possibly be linked to any kind of contextual pressure the player is feeling. To me, for how it is worded, it would lead me to believe it is something you do out of desperation, sort of like using overload in the last few minutes to look for an equalizer.

I can maybe understand something pressure related to a lesser extent for the other two, an encouragement if things are going wrong on that part of the pitch, but still I have a hard time figuring out when it would be a good idea to use them if they really have no effect at all.

Besides, it would be good to know if there is any possibility of them making things worse.

Otherwise it pretty much becomes only a chore that requires no attention and involves no decision making, you just click the appropriate shout depending on what the widget tells you to do rather than what you are seeing on the field or what you think might influence the match.

7 minutes ago, Pendraz said:

However I don't really understand the last three despite your comment on them, and how a description saying " Give your players more creative freedom in the hope they can fashion goalscoring opportunities." could possibly be linked to any kind of contextual pressure the player is feeling. To me, for how it is worded, it would lead me to believe it is something you do out of desperation, sort of like using overload in the last few minutes to look for an equalizer.

Pretty much.  Although rather than desperation it's more akin to "something else we could try" - the players may be feeling the pressure of being unable to score, so perhaps asking them to "Get Creative" might help.  A bit tenuous perhaps, but dealing with player emotions (for want of a better word) isn't straight forward.

10 minutes ago, Pendraz said:

Besides, it would be good to know if there is any possibility of them making things worse.

It absolutely can make things worse.  These shouts are tied into player personalities so if they have poor personalities or your relationship with them is poor they may not listen or it could put them under even more pressure.

12 minutes ago, Pendraz said:

but still I have a hard time figuring out when it would be a good idea to use them if they really have no effect at all.

They do have an effect, if only temporary.  How much of an effect is debatable perhaps and would differ from player to player and match to match anyway.

From the guide I put up this is the important passage:

"this is not a guide that is designed to tell you when and under what circumstances you should or shouldn't use each of these Touchline Team Talks.  Similar to the pre-match, half time and post-match Team Talks, these in match talks can affect players moods but will be influenced by players own personalities, your personality and tone of voice used.  Thus what may work for one player may not for another.  It's up to us as Managers to understand our own players and use such talks accordingly.  So this "guide" will merely outline what the talks are intended for and what they affect."

Fair enough, especially the last point, it's very true.

Since you rule out that they affect anything tactical related, I still wonder if when you say "is there something else we could try" means that it could perhaps affect decision making or the players AI in general?

Anyways, I still feel it would be nice if they could have a clearer description/effect, but I appreciate very much the guide and answers received.

I'll give it more tries and raise it up as suggestions for next iterations of the game I guess.

13 minutes ago, Pendraz said:

Anyways, I still feel it would be nice if they could have a clearer description/effect,

Personally I prefer it the way it is. It should be vague. If there was a clear description/effect, this would lead people to 'game' the system. 

Could there be a colourblindness mode, or options to change all the colours? I ask because in the comparison screen, the colours can't be changed, and during matches, the sunlight makes shadows which can make it hard to tell the team's apart. FIFA and UEFA are starting to acknowledge the problems faced by the colourblind.

3 hours ago, Candyskin said:

Could there be a colourblindness mode, or options to change all the colours? I ask because in the comparison screen, the colours can't be changed, and during matches, the sunlight makes shadows which can make it hard to tell the team's apart. FIFA and UEFA are starting to acknowledge the problems faced by the colourblind.

Make a new thread in the Feature Requests Forum :thup:.

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 15:27, dazbowski said:

Is there a way a can search for loans with no monthly or wage contribution fee like you could in every previous fm?

Pedant's corner but I believe you could only search for no monthly fee contribution, I'm not sure it was ever possible to filter no wage contribution.

Why was Past Meetings Tab removed from FM18 for other teams we dont manage . Why was Derbys so much talked about last year but this year nothing ? How can we see how derbys are progressing with out this Past Meetings Button . Its only available for the team i manage . 

1 hour ago, LewisC1996 said:

Hi, do you think they will have a feature in the future where you can decide a new kit and choose the brand ? 

Do many managers do this IRL? That would probably guide SI as to whether this ever appears in the game (although licensing issues would probably kibosh anything relating to brands; unless we had Noke, Abibas, Over Armor etc...)

2 hours ago, Becanes said:

What is the optimal size database and setup to have the most realistic transfer market?

Playable leagues has the most affect on the transfer market, so you'd want to turn on as many as you can (though it's a balance against speed, more leagues slower the game will run) and turn on ones that compliment each other, for database size it's just being sensible - you don't need 200,000 players if you are just running the English Prem and I'd say using the advanced retain player options would be better than just upping the database size as it will give you better control over the kind of players loaded.

1 minute ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Playable leagues has the most affect on the transfer market, so you'd want to turn on as many as you can (though it's a balance against speed, more leagues slower the game will run) and turn on ones that compliment each other, for database size it's just being sensible - you don't need 200,000 players if you are just running the English Prem and I'd say using the advanced retain player options would be better than just upping the database size as it will give you better control over the kind of players loaded.

I have every league playable.  I've used a large database and I think I have internationals loaded from every continent.  I think that puts me at 130,000.  Will that work?

22 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

I haven't started a game in FM18 yet and cannot remember the exact options I used in FM17 - I tend to stay in England so run all those leagues and then about half a dozen leagues from other countries.

Ok gotcha.  I stay in England as well but I want the landscape every where to be as realistic as possible.  Does the detail level matter?

Hello, never been abel to find a real answer for this question:

If you change the welsh youth rating and player template in the editor, will that affect the youth intake of welsh clubs in the english league system? 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
5 hours ago, El Payaso said:

Why did you decide to bring the AI role selection available for human players to see?

Where specifically are you seeing this appear in game? Just want to make sure it's in an area we expected it to be and not a bug :D

Thanks. 

Bear in mind we've always been told the AI has the same tools as us so that we (or the AI) don't have an unfair advantage.  Now I don't know if the AI is able to see our tactical instructions in the same way that we can see the AI's, but 2 things:

1)  If the AI does have this information about our tactical systems, how do we feel about that?  Further, is the AI then capable of adapting their systems based on this information?  That's getting into the realms of the AI "learning" our systems, which is something we've always said doesn't happen.

2)  If the AI doesn't have this information, or is incapable of using it, then don't we now have an unfair advantage over the AI?

So in FM18 we know opposition player roles / duties, mentality and team shape settings.  Why not go the whole hog and give us their TIs & PIs as well, why just stop there?  (Because then we could just copy AI tactics).

I understand and agree with giving us a certain level of information to help us make our own decisions, but why give us this level of detailed tactical information?

28 minutes ago, Barside said:

@herne79Does the user see the actual tactical settings used or the assumed settings via a next opposition scout report?

A bit of both.

Pre-match you get a next opposition scout report detailing Mentality, Team Shape and player roles which the opposition used in their previous match.  In match you can see opposition player roles and duties being used.  (I'm not using any skins).

I understand that pre-match reports are no guarantee of how the opposition will actually play against you, but many people use these reports to help formulate how they'll set up to play.

Archived