Football Manager 2016 16.3.0 Feedback Thread

The ME will never be perfect and so SI will always be striving to improve it. If you're not happy with that, buy the game after 5 months of release. :thup:

well maybe a 3d me should never have been implemented in the first place then if it will never be perfect? let's be honest, at the moment it's not even anywhere near.

We don't think the game is in 'such a state' when it's released else we wouldn't release it. We always looking to make the game better where we can, but we've never knowingly released the game 'in a state' nor would we ever.

ok, so we can argue all day about what makes the state of the game too rubbish to release. remember cm4?? and there have been others since.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators
The goalkeeping is still horrendous (it's not just the crossing which nothing was done about to complain about).

Goalkeepers still save shots going way off target back into play. Also had Butland fumble an extremely tame prod towards goal straight back in front of him. Then a slide tackle from the striker moved the ball an inch or two closer to goal. Then my defender did a slide tackle of his own to slot it into the bottom corner. Total horrow show. That made it 1-1 in a game with 23 shots to 4, 7 shots on target to 1.

The match engine is representing real life. Sometimes keepers make mistakes and the game simulates this. It isn't always perfectly simulated. On Wednesday night, Rob Elliot let a goal in which was almost straight at him, those kinds of mistakes need to replicated in the match engine.

well maybe a 3d me should never have been implemented in the first place then if it will never be perfect?

Every so often people crucify themselves with their own posts displaying a lack of knowledge. You've just done that.

3d/2d is a graphical representation of what the ME is doing, and not the ME itself. The ME could be represented through any medium (text, 2d, 3d, the art of interpretive dance).

no its not unrealistic - but a WB(A) plus a winger for 90 minutes surely is, probably with an expolit the flanks instruction, what team in real life does this, all the time, every match for a full 90 minutes??

What team wouldn't if it resulted in an endless stream of back post tap ins? Stop trying to flip the issue on its head. Full back overlap is not an extreme tactic, if its real life usage is lower than in FM then that is because its effectiveness may be far more questionable than it is in FM.

Every so often people crucify themselves with their own posts displaying a lack of knowledge. You've just done that.

3d/2d is a graphical representation of what the ME is doing, and not the ME itself. The ME could be represented through any medium (text, 2d, 3d, the art of interpretive dance).

i will be the first one to admit i do have a massive lack of knowledge, don't you worry about that. all i know is i'm a fan of 20 or so years of a football computer game, where the football bit doesn't work properly. frustrating.

What team wouldn't if it resulted in an endless stream of back post tap ins? Stop trying to flip the issue on its head. Full back overlap is not an extreme tactic, if its real life usage is lower than in FM then that is because its effectivenessmay be far more questionable than it is in FM.

which is the point, how can the ME be coded to counter act a 'not used in real life' style of play when it is designed to replicate a real match. some tactics used by people in the game are not just an overlaping full back, they are designed to over power the wings, a wingback + winger combo is not 'usual' in football.

until the AI is complex enough to adapt then it will be fairly hard to balance.

The match engine is representing real life. Sometimes keepers make mistakes and the game simulates this. It isn't always perfectly simulated. On Wednesday night, Rob Elliot let a goal in which was almost straight at him, those kinds of mistakes need to replicated in the match engine.

One problem is that they happen way too often, the second is that the game doesn't seem to recognise them as awful mistakes. The goalkeeper still got a 6.8 despite only making 1 save to go along with the howler. No mention in the commentary of how bad it was either.

• Administrators
One problem is that they happen way too often, the second is that the game doesn't seem to recognise them as awful mistakes. The goalkeeper still got a 6.8 despite only making 1 save to go along with the howler. No mention in the commentary of how bad it was either.

Sometimes the 3D representation looks worse than it actually is, but agree this is something that could be improved and is something regarding player ratings that would need looking into. Thanks for the feedback.

You are right but I think the OP meant that the graphical animations have not caught up with the ME in some situations

which is the point, how can the ME be coded to counter act a 'not used in real life' style of play when it is designed to replicate a real match. some tactics used by people in the game are not just an overlaping full back, they are designed to over power the wings, a wingback + winger combo is not 'usual' in football.

until the AI is complex enough to adapt then it will be fairly hard to balance.

WB + W is just a combination of an attacking full back and a winger, what about it exactly is not used in reality? WB in a full back position is not an actual wing back. It's a plain and simple combination used often on all levels of football. The AI doesn't need to adapt to anything, it needs to match up and defend just as in every other area on the pitch. It has managed to do that in pretty much every previous version up to FM16 so we're not exactly looking for a revelation in software industry here.

Generally speaking, not a fan of complaining simply to complain. But this has been irking me all morning so going to voice it in detail. List most, been waiting for the patch and the data update. I've tried some fan-made data updates and while I appreciate the hard work it takes, decided to just wait for an official one. Was outright hyped when I got up this morning and say the announcement. I updated Steam and took a look real quick, managing to make myself late for work. And a quick check of two of my favorite clubs to run left me really disappointed.

Vitesse - I started to love managing this club a few FMs ago but I haven't had a good game with them yet on FM16. Part of the reason is that in mid-December, it was announced they had signed a Japanese leftback, Kosuke Ota. he hasn't been in any of the data updates I've seen, in large part because he was playing in Japan before. But once Japanese players move outside of Japan, they are added so I assumed he would be. The club spent 750k Euros on him, which is a fairly big amount for a Dutch club outside of the top three. He's been their starting leftback since and he fills a hole. They got rid of the previous leftback, Rochi. When I fired up the update this morning, no Ota. So the club now has no senior players who can play solidly at leftback and not really enough money to buy one. So now managing them looks rather unappealing, unless I create the player and guess at attributes. So what was intended to be my first game on the update.... out the window....

Lokomotiv Moscow - another club I've oddly come to enjoy managing and also haven't really done anything with FM16. Like Vitesse, they are in the Europa League this season so I have been hoping to get a game going with them. During the winter window, they sold star striker Oumar Niasse to Everton for 18m Euros. He's better in real life than in the game, and I'm suspecting he'll get an "he's an EPL player now" bump, but he was at least an RPL caliber player on the previous data. Of the almost 20m they got for Niasse, the club spent 5m on Ezekiel Henty from Slovenian club Olimpija. I looked him up and he was pretty mediocre on the pervious data. I haven't seen him play to know if he deserves a bump but I was hopeful he might get a "RPL standards" bump. But he's not even with the club. According to the data I found, the deal went through February 19th, so a couple of weeks ago. If part of the reason for later-than-usual patch was to let the RPL and Chinese transfer windows close.... I figured that at least the sale of Niasse and no replacement being added would at least give me some funds to play with. Nope. Transfer funds are still the same 500k, which is generally insufficient to buy an RPL-caliber striker for the club, which now lacks one. There is only one senior player at the club who is a natural striker, and he's of such quality that he starts in the reserves. No money to buy one. Awesome.

So both games I was planning on running on the new data are both basically no-gos. And pretty just because of missed transfers. So yeah, annoyed.

WB + W is just a combination of an attacking full back and a winger, what about it exactly is not used in reality? WB in a full back position is not an actual wing back. It's a plain and simple combination used often on all levels of football. The AI doesn't need to adapt to anything, it needs to match up and defend just as in every other area on the pitch. It has managed to do that in pretty much every previous version up to FM16 so we're not exactly looking for a revelation in software industry here.
To qualify my early point about adaptive AI the user I replied to wanted the AI to recognise what they what they were doing (exploiting defensive weaknesses) & to adapt their own tactic to counter that manager's tactical approach, this is what would require a leap in AI behaviour.

First of all, an important premise:

1) I do not currently own FM16, and the screenshot I am about to post was taken with the FM16 demo, today, after the 16.3 update.

2) For the match, I simply started a FM Touch career, simply pressed forward without a care in the world, and let the wizard manager handle the tactics/roles.

Now the screenshot:

10wtiqr.jpg

The six goals were the result of a cross or a tap in after a rebound following the cross (either GK screwing up, or shot bouncing on a player and ending at the feet of another)

The fact is that, if I am understanding the stats correctly, it looks okay as long as I think that out of the total cross attempted among the two teams, most of them were blocked by the marker, and only a total of 11 completed.

However, what I find hard to believe it would happen in reality, is that out of the 11 cross completed, all of them were actually received by their intended target. I mean how is it possible that out of 11 crosses the CDs wouldn't hit even one of those?

In case the amount of blocked crosses include those who are won by the CDs after the cross is already traveling in the air, then the numbers suddenly seem a bit off to me, because the ratio between the crosses blocked by the man marking the crosser and those allowed to get to the box would be too favorable for the crosser I'd say. And after that we got to consider that some of those are taken by the CDs, but 11 of them are actually reaching their intended target, 6 of them resulting in goals.

I'll make more tests of course, but most of all I'd like to understand better how the stats are counted, because the relation between cross completed and received seems strange to me.

This is meant to be in no way disingenuous, but I have the opposite issue... way too many cross attempts of mine are charged down and blocked. Maybe those of you who play wide, with wingers and wingbacks and exploit the flanks and cross to far post have hit on an exploit the same as the Diablo tactic from 00/01 or the Near Post corner exploit of FM15. Maybe its a fault.

And of course the 7 on here complaining vs 2 that arent comment from a few pages back happens. People who are happy with the balance wouldn't necessarily be on here commenting as they aren't looking for a whinge.

for example, (i support Everton) so, in game I could have Coleman as WB (A) and in front of him Mirallas as W (A), this would overload the right wing and therefore crosses galore when I throw in an exploit the wings, now in reality Everton don't do this because there is no cover when both go attacking because the opposition would have a field day on this side. until the AI can adapt to this and i'm sure we agree that this would be the best case scenario, its a fine balancing act to stop the crosses/defend them better and completley stopping attacking wing play so that wingers etc become useless in game.

It really isn't, you are using two aggressive forward thinking roles down each wing and then complaining when they are your primary area for assists and a cause for conceding.

You are usually a fairly intelligent user AM but on this occasion you are really missing the point. Its fairly simply if you overload the flanks you would be expecting them to be your main source of goals, if you empty the flanks in defence then it shouldn't be a surprise that you concede from those areas.

I've used several balanced tactics on FM16 all with a mix of duties & roles (Including exploit flanks & look for overlap where appropriate) and on no occasion have I seen crossing to the level that users in here are claiming.

In really simple terms its like you sticking your hand in a fire & then complaining that its hot.

First of all, an important premise:

1) I do not currently own FM16, and the screenshot I am about to post was taken with the FM16 demo, today, after the 16.3 update.

2) For the match, I simply started a FM Touch career, simply pressed forward without a care in the world, and let the wizard manager handle the tactics/roles.

Now the screenshot:

The six goals were the result of a cross or a tap in after a rebound following the cross (either GK screwing up, or shot bouncing on a player and ending at the feet of another)

The fact is that, if I am understanding the stats correctly, it looks okay as long as I think that out of the total cross attempted among the two teams, most of them were blocked by the marker, and only a total of 11 completed.

However, what I find hard to believe it would happen in reality, is that out of the 11 cross completed, all of them were actually received by their intended target. I mean how is it possible that out of 11 crosses the CDs wouldn't hit even one of those?

In case the amount of blocked crosses include those who are won by the CDs after the cross is already traveling in the air, then the numbers suddenly seem a bit off to me, because the ratio between the crosses blocked by the man marking the crosser and those allowed to get to the box would be too favorable for the crosser I'd say. And after that we got to consider that some of those are taken by the CDs, but 11 of them are actually reaching their intended target, 6 of them resulting in goals.

I'll make more tests of course, but most of all I'd like to understand better how the stats are counted, because the relation between cross completed and received seems strange to me.

Intercepted will also include crosses that were cleared by defenders, not sure why there are data points for completed & received as they would appear to be the same thing.

No changes in this regard. Sometimes it is just not possible to efficiently or safely adjust elements of the ME without knackering another aspect of the ME.

feqhie.png

I can confirm they do, at least this one. I just won 2-1 though, with their rubbish keeper turning into a monster. Just an ordinary day in FM, actually :p

Generally speaking, not a fan of complaining simply to complain. But this has been irking me all morning so going to voice it in detail. List most, been waiting for the patch and the data update. I've tried some fan-made data updates and while I appreciate the hard work it takes, decided to just wait for an official one. Was outright hyped when I got up this morning and say the announcement. I updated Steam and took a look real quick, managing to make myself late for work. And a quick check of two of my favorite clubs to run left me really disappointed.

Vitesse - I started to love managing this club a few FMs ago but I haven't had a good game with them yet on FM16. Part of the reason is that in mid-December, it was announced they had signed a Japanese leftback, Kosuke Ota. he hasn't been in any of the data updates I've seen, in large part because he was playing in Japan before. But once Japanese players move outside of Japan, they are added so I assumed he would be. The club spent 750k Euros on him, which is a fairly big amount for a Dutch club outside of the top three. He's been their starting leftback since and he fills a hole. They got rid of the previous leftback, Rochi. When I fired up the update this morning, no Ota. So the club now has no senior players who can play solidly at leftback and not really enough money to buy one. So now managing them looks rather unappealing, unless I create the player and guess at attributes. So what was intended to be my first game on the update.... out the window....

Lokomotiv Moscow - another club I've oddly come to enjoy managing and also haven't really done anything with FM16. Like Vitesse, they are in the Europa League this season so I have been hoping to get a game going with them. During the winter window, they sold star striker Oumar Niasse to Everton for 18m Euros. He's better in real life than in the game, and I'm suspecting he'll get an "he's an EPL player now" bump, but he was at least an RPL caliber player on the previous data. Of the almost 20m they got for Niasse, the club spent 5m on Ezekiel Henty from Slovenian club Olimpija. I looked him up and he was pretty mediocre on the pervious data. I haven't seen him play to know if he deserves a bump but I was hopeful he might get a "RPL standards" bump. But he's not even with the club. According to the data I found, the deal went through February 19th, so a couple of weeks ago. If part of the reason for later-than-usual patch was to let the RPL and Chinese transfer windows close.... I figured that at least the sale of Niasse and no replacement being added would at least give me some funds to play with. Nope. Transfer funds are still the same 500k, which is generally insufficient to buy an RPL-caliber striker for the club, which now lacks one. There is only one senior player at the club who is a natural striker, and he's of such quality that he starts in the reserves. No money to buy one. Awesome.

So both games I was planning on running on the new data are both basically no-gos. And pretty just because of missed transfers. So yeah, annoyed.

best off getting fan made transfer update. Plenty of really good ones, ones that picked up most if not all transfers mate. Add some money to the club with the editor and away you go. Not ideal, but saves the frustration!

Both those edits take less than 10mins in the editor to sort. learn, it makes things like missed transfers less of a pain,

Creating a player, from scratch, with any degree of accuracy does not take just a couple of minutes. Especially if research is required, which it would be in this case. But the fact that it can be done by the user does not alter the fact that it should not need to be. Neither are huge transfers, but its also not the third division of Bulgaria levels of obscurity.

A data update that misses transfers, much like a patch that doesn't addressed raised errors, is going to frustrate the consumer.

Please post any data errors or missed transfers in the relevant data threads.

Already done. But does it make a difference at this point? There isn't going to be another data update, so either I do it myself or download a fan-made one. Posting in the relevant threads doesn't resolve it any more than complaining here does, but at least the latter allows the voicing of a frustration that someone will see for sure.

If the B team has a manager why would you expect the first team manager to control training?

because it's a setting in the staff responsibilities that you are able to control it

also, there are ways around it through news items and through going on holiday as a b team manager

for example, (i support Everton) so, in game I could have Coleman as WB (A) and in front of him Mirallas as W (A), this would overload the right wing and therefore crosses galore when I throw in an exploit the wings, now in reality Everton don't do this because there is no cover when both go attacking because the opposition would have a field day on this side. until the AI can adapt to this and i'm sure we agree that this would be the best case scenario, its a fine balancing act to stop the crosses/defend them better and completley stopping attacking wing play so that wingers etc become useless in game.

Isn't that why we concede so many goals in real life haha!!

Intercepted will also include crosses that were cleared by defenders, not sure why there are data points for completed & received as they would appear to be the same thing.

Thanks for the clarification, even if it does show both the shirt number of the player crossing the ball and the one of who received said cross, that's why I was wondering about it, however I guess it must be just a glitch of the stats counter maybe?

In any case, I'll have some more tries before adding anything else, cheers.

If the B team has a manager why would you expect the first team manager to control training?
To be fair I believe it was announced as a new feature, not tested it myself so can't comment on how well it does or does not work.

Isn't that why we concede so many goals in real life haha!!

am in work and the best I could think of as an example - in reality mirallas just keeps the bench warm!

It really isn't, you are using two aggressive forward thinking roles down each wing and then complaining when they are your primary area for assists and a cause for conceding.

You are usually a fairly intelligent user AM but on this occasion you are really missing the point. Its fairly simply if you overload the flanks you would be expecting them to be your main source of goals, if you empty the flanks in defence then it shouldn't be a surprise that you concede from those areas.

I've used several balanced tactics on FM16 all with a mix of duties & roles (Including exploit flanks & look for overlap where appropriate) and on no occasion have I seen crossing to the level that users in here are claiming.

In really simple terms its like you sticking your hand in a fire & then complaining that its hot.

And as I've pointed out numerous times, I used a full-back / support and winger / attack combination for 34 games and over 70% of my goals came from crosses. It just looked ridiculous and it forced me to abandon my save. It became so dull and repetitive that in the end I found myself letting the game play out while I went and did something more entertaining, like make a cup of tea.

I'll play a few games over the weekend and make my own mind up, but from what I've read and been told by someone actually playing the game now I won't be holding my breath.

because it's a setting in the staff responsibilities that you are able to control it

also, there are ways around it through news items and through going on holiday as a b team manager

But the staff resonsibilities don't and aren't intended to work the same for leagues like Spain & Germany where the B team is more of a separately managed & playable team.

Whilst FM doesn't handle B teams that well your expectations are also part of the problem.

In music production, when you change volume or apply an effect the advice is always to find the point where you can hear the change and then dial it back a little because you will always have made it too obvious. There's a lot in FM that feels that way. A lot of the random stuff that happens in real football and gives it the unpredictable edge that makes it a great sport is there in FM, but it's too often and too obvious.

It's like the developers have set the level so that testing easily confirms that it is happening; that the coding is resulting in that behaviour, but they've forgotten to dial it down a little so that over 100s or 1000s of games it doesn't become one of those 'this will always happen' actions.

There's a little bit of that about some of the real game's emergent properties as well, like home advantage, 10-men fighting valiantly, winning streak complacency or the giant-slaying relegation battler. These things all happen, but not as often as we think - such events in football are memorable because they are exceptions. Football's cliches are a little too evident in FM at the moment.

But the staff resonsibilities don't and aren't intended to work the same for leagues like Spain & Germany where the B team is more of a separately managed & playable team.

Whilst FM doesn't handle B teams that well your expectations are also part of the problem.

https://twitter.com/milesSI/status/653173040566640640/photo/1

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/441813-B-Team-Training-Control

seems like it was supposed to work exactly as intended except that it doesn't...

That's a nice theory however i played with just one left winger (and he was actually a right footed inside forward so not even that suited to the "exploit". Then i stuck Barkley on the right as a wide target man in the right wing position and because he has good composure and technique he scores 23 league goals. The ME seeing shots from wide as much easier to convert than shots from the middle of the goal and first time volleys as easier to convert than when the player has total control of the ball after dribbling is a major problem with the ME, it's not anything to do with players trying to exploit things.

Oh yeah also heading is terrible. So many free headers from 3 or 4 yards out are missed. Again it seems like it was a choice made to nerf heading because if heading was decent then that along with the far post tap ins issue would make crossing even more op. So 2 wrongs are somehow seen as better than 1. In most leagues irl it seems headed goals are 15-20%. In my last 50 games only 6 of 91 scored were from headers and just 2 of 60 conceded.

DFK already mentioned by another poster are also way too few. Just so much wrong with the ME it's unbelievable so little was done in 4 months.

And as I've pointed out numerous times, I used a full-back / support and winger / attack combination for 34 games and over 70% of my goals came from crosses. It just looked ridiculous and it forced me to abandon my save. It became so dull and repetitive that in the end I found myself letting the game play out while I went and did something more entertaining, like make a cup of tea.

I'll play a few games over the weekend and make my own mind up, but from what I've read and been told by someone actually playing the game now I won't be holding my breath.

I'm not saying your goals didn't come from crosses but why is your experience different to other peoples?

Why are some users having an issue whilst others aren't?

Changing tact somewhat 70% of goals from crosses, where do you expect goals coming from if not a cross? through balls, set pieces, opposition mistakes, anything else? I haven't looked at any RL stats but in theory crosses (either directly or indirectly) should account for a fairly high % of goals given that they are two (left & right) of the main areas the ball comes from. If you then have a setup which focuses on one or both of these areas then you would naturally expect that % to be higher. So whilst 70% sounds a lot I don't think its a million miles away from what you would expect.

I'm not saying your goals didn't come from crosses but why is your experience different to other peoples?

Changing tact somewhat 70% of goals from crosses, where do you expect goals coming from if not a cross? through balls, set pieces, opposition mistakes, anything else? I haven't looked at any RL stats but in theory crosses (either directly or indirectly) should account for a fairly high % of goals given that they are two (left & right) of the main areas the ball comes from. If you then have a setup which focuses on one or both of these areas then you would naturally expect that % to be higher. So whilst 70% sounds a lot I don't think its a million miles away from what you would expect.

Agreed what would be more relevant would be cross completion numbers.

40% is the real-life figure that's often quoted, although I suspect the actual figure is lower than that. It's probably more like 30-35%.

40% is the real-life figure that's often quoted, although I suspect the actual figure is lower than that. It's probably more like 30-35%.

The quoted figure is 33%, with the other 7% coming from set-piece crosses.

• Administrators

Okay, as you’re aware the staff here at SI read the forums so clearly we’re aware that some users are experiencing some issues with the way that crosses are defended. From the numbers we’ve had feeding back to us this only seems to affect a relatively small number players and largely depends on those player's tactics. Saying that, we did take a long, hard look at it and ultimately decided that given potential knock-ons and the major impact it would have had on user’s tactics that it wasn’t something we could tweak without unbalancing the match engine and worsening the user’s playing experience.

As anyone who’s played FM for a while knows, we’re constantly striving to make the match engine a 100 per cent perfect simulation of real football. While we’re still some way away from achieving this goal, we do feel that we’re getting closer and closer and this progress is helped enormously by the constructive feedback that we get here on the forums. We’re happy with the match engine which is included in version 16.3.0 and we’ve only been able to get up to this point thanks to everyone who has been involved in the game’s development, be it SI staff members, beta testers or those of you posting here on the forums.

Having spoken at length about this with the match team, there is some good news to report in that the work the team have done in trying to address this issue long-term has led to some other major improvements which, once they’re fully implemented, will make any future versions of the match engine better for everyone.

All I would add to that is that you should give the new update a thorough play-through and let us know what you think when you’ve had a chance to put it through its paces. That's what this thread is here for.

Many thanks.

Archived