*Official* FM 13 Update 13.2.3 - Match Engine v1339 Constructive Discussion & Feedback

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5958/defendl.png Rother is my CD stopper and Clark positioned just below him in the pic is my LD cover, this sequence is direct from open play, opposition striker may have dropped deep in which case they followed but then when he no longer got involved in play the 2 central defenders took up striker positions...

Can you please post this into the bug forums please and upload the match for us so we can take a look?

My goodness. My pass completion rate has just gone from around 90 to 80% after installing this patch. I'm struggling to dominate possession as I used to. I thought that after stopping my players shooting from range as often, that the new patch would actually force up my possession.

Still struggling to get a handle on the new changes it seems.

I've played 12 matches on comprehensive highlights, as key highlights can often give a false impression. The general play is significantly better and looks far more like actual football. I'm tactically inept so I can never go in to much detail, all I can do is compare what I see in the game to what I see in real matches.

I'm seeing a good variety of play and my players (I'm Manchester United) playing to the standard I'd expect. Defenders defend crosses well, Valencia and Nani run at defenders, players close down and tackle, there's a good amount of through balls and lobs over the top, plenty of nice quick passing, some nice long passing, not too many long shots, I've scored one 30 yard freekick, Vidic has actually had a man of the match for defending well and pulling off some latch ditch tackles in the box, and I've seen some excellent saves.

I just finished a match against Spurs at White Hart Lane. It was an onslaught by me for 90 minutes, but they defended superbly. Hernandez then got a 93rd minute winner. Beautiful! Vertonghen also got man of the match for Spurs.

My only gripe would be some players still seem a little too effective at running in to the box. But so far that's only minor. Overall I've thoroughly enjoyed watching each match.

• SI Staff
hope this is a one off but in the latest round of champs league games...

arsenal 7 shakhtar 0

shalke 6 dinamo 0

real madrid 8 olympiacos 1

crazy scores sneaking back in maybe

Can I ask what leagues you are running? Are these games running with the full match engine? Also how far in are you? In my game I'm not getting any scores like this in CL.

hope this is a one off but in the latest round of champs league games...

arsenal 7 shakhtar 0

shalke 6 dinamo 0

real madrid 8 olympiacos 1

crazy scores sneaking back in maybe

So far the highest scoring game I've seen is 6-0, and that was Man City vs Norwich. Apart from that every game has been 0-0. 1-0. 1-1. 2-1. and some 3-2's, 3-1's and 4-2's here and there. Pretty normal really

Haven't played a match as yet so obviously no ME feedback yet but non ME feedback. The Assistant running training issue still seems not to have been fixed. The training focus is still set permanently to "Attacking set pieces". The Assistant gives a scouting report on next opposition and suggests "attacking movement" but as I say it stays on "Set pieces" as per previous patches. It's very frustrating if you leave your training to your Assistant because obviously it's broken and pretty much renders having an Assistant useless.

Can I ask what leagues you are running? Are these games running with the full match engine? Also how far in are you? In my game I'm not getting any scores like this in CL.

about 6 years in

quite a lot of leagues in full detail. the ones you would probably consider the top in europe plus scandinavia, china, argentina and brazil

the results i posted were from the tuesday, wednesday was a lot different with a few 0-0 and odd goal wins. biggest was a 4-1 and aside from man city winning in europe it seemed fine

Before the update my team was struggling but now they are doing great. Just beat Liverpool 3:1 which is a great result considering my club is more like a conference team compared to them.

Goalkeeper now short passes to my defender instead of kicking it long and giving it to opposition. Hopfully high scores are fixed although there was four prem games that were 4:1 4:1 4:2 4:3. Only played 5 games so too soon to judge really.

• SI Staff
about 6 years in

quite a lot of leagues in full detail. the ones you would probably consider the top in europe plus scandinavia, china, argentina and brazil

the results i posted were from the tuesday, wednesday was a lot different with a few 0-0 and odd goal wins. biggest was a 4-1 and aside from man city winning in europe it seemed fine

Out of interest can you look at squads? Have the ones who one hard stayed/improved but the other decreased/not retained players?

I'd give it much more than just one game before ranting away.

This doesn't seem to be an issue for others so take a deep breath, relax and watch some more games first.

Wise words, personally I'll start a brand new save and play at least half a season before coming to any finite conclusions.

I feel that the slow reactions issue of players losing the ball has been fixed, but not in a way that actually makes the game better,nor worse.

Instead of seeing players lose the ball and start drooling, now I see players getting stripped off the ball too easily. It's almost as if the defender walks casually towards the ball, asks gently if he can have it and voila, he has the possession now.

Most of the other issues seem to have really improved though.

Are you basing that on the database number when you start a new game?

It should say 13.0.0 as no db changes.

Otherwise, if steam is online mode and connected to decent internet, and you quit the game, and perhaps restart steam if need be, it'll update

Restarting Steam did the trick. Thanks.

Haven't played a match as yet so obviously no ME feedback yet but non ME feedback. The Assistant running training issue still seems not to have been fixed. The training focus is still set permanently to "Attacking set pieces". The Assistant gives a scouting report on next opposition and suggests "attacking movement" but as I say it stays on "Set pieces" as per previous patches. It's very frustrating if you leave your training to your Assistant because obviously it's broken and pretty much renders having an Assistant useless.

The person giving the scouting report and the person setting the match preparation are not the same. You probably have an assistant that is not very good at making tactical decisions.

I feel that the slow reactions issue of players losing the ball has been fixed, but not in a way that actually makes the game better,nor worse.

Instead of seeing players lose the ball and start drooling, now I see players getting stripped off the ball too easily. It's almost as if the defender walks casually towards the ball, asks gently if he can have it and voila, he has the possession now.

This is a good way of putting what I was seeing. I complained about players looking like they were running with lead shoes.

What seems to happen is a player just kind of casually walks around with the ball, and a defender just kind of casually walks up and asks if he can have it, and the player is like "sure, it's all yours". I think slow tempo will be very bad in this version of the ME. Just a gut reaction without alot of testing, but the WAY players dwell on the ball makes it look bad.

Again, gut reaction.

Out of interest can you look at squads? Have the ones who one hard stayed/improved but the other decreased/not retained players?

not 100% sure what you are after to be honest.

shakhtar and dinamo have a small first team squad

olympiacos have a good sized squad but a poor newgen manager

also about a month or so ago in game i added the greek league

Update on the red cards.

Please ignore the seeming insanity of some of the players I'm about to name in this Celtic team. Odd choices maybe.

I played my first game after the patch. A Champions League away tie at Copenhagen. A ridiculous game lol ... I mean ridiculous. It finished 7-4 to Celtic, with some breathtaking stuff being played by my team to send me into a 6-1 lead.

Then Mark Yeats, who I had playing at left winger, got red carded in a ludicrous two footed lunge from behind a defender. Straight red, no two ways about it. They clawed it back to 6-4 and I made a tactical shift or two and scored again.

Next game against St Johnstone. I won 3-2 after being 2-0 down, and having had Mark Noble sent off in the middle of the park for two bookings. Silly of him. I thought the tactical "shouts" were the most responsive I've seen them yet though, which allowed me to craft my comeback. I was well pleased.

Third game. League Cup v Hearts. 2-0 up and a crazy red card. James Forrest, a sending off very similar to the one with Yeats. Worrying.

Fourth game. 2-1 win against Hibs in the league, the winner coming late from David Rodriguez courtesy of the return of the through ball! Wonderful!!

Game five. Red card again. This time for Sul Muntari for a double booking. I was prepared to let that one slide because he's average 4/5 red cards a season every time I've signed him ...

Game six ... and frustration and banging the head. 2-0 home reversal win against Copenhagen despite James McFadden's red card for a first bookable offence. Three wingers in six games.

Game seven. I won 3-1 in a bad tempered (from me) game at Tannadice, where Kris Commons walked on a straight red.

That's when I tweaked some stuff. My tactics were to play a rigid game, with a deep defensive line, and pressing. I figured maybe pressing doesn't suit the wingers ...

They are still picking up bookings ... but five games later, no red cards. And the through ball is back ... Loving it!

Not seeing this atall thus far, defenders are really biting when they do tackle and seem much more proactive in all respects (heading, interceptions in particular)

So far fantastic!!! Teamtalks are a bit weird, do a couple the same in a row and you get no reaction but what else do you say when you win 2 games 3-0 other than they played well? Had a few injuries during matches but that could just be coincidence as I have only played 5 games so far but I have 4 players out for a couple of weeks or more already. Passing is much better, my playmaker actually plays through balls now, my inside forwards cut inside but don't dribble past the entire defence and my wingers get in crossing positions and create goals without needing 20 pace 20 dribbling to be of any use. Pre patch nearly every goal was a winger going past 5 men or a scrap in the area or an own goal, post patch I am getting a really good variety of goals being scored, from headers, through balls, dribbles into the box, long shots and so on.

Overall so far I think this has gone from the worst ME ever to the best ME ever in an FM game. Hope this is the last patch because the game is much better now and I want to start a long term save.

6 corners, I play short, all taken long, what is your conclusion?

Without knowing a great deal about your team and tactics I couldn't hazard a guess, it's not an issue I've seen so far but it's early days of course.

The person giving the scouting report and the person setting the match preparation are not the same. You probably have an assistant that is not very good at making tactical decisions.

Tactical 14 and Tactical Knowledge 16 doesn't seem disastrous!! Could someone 100% clarify whether this is a bug where training left to an Assistant never changes from game to game? If it's not I shall have to sack my Assistant!!!!

RE the ME. Only played one game but I must say it does look extremely promising. I have all players on rare long shots and only had a couple outside the area whereas before it was constantly happening which I really think affected the game. Now there is some great interplay "inside" the area and I just scored a goal where my midfielder slotted a through ball to my winger who had made a great run. Pre patch the midfielder would have shot. Crosses I will see what happens although there seem to be more headers won in the area now thanks to a few more green dots in the analysis screen and certainly the3 insane dribbling has been toned down which is great. My lone striker actually was involved in the game which I think is a by product of the culling of long shots. So looks pretty good so far.

Oh and marking seems better. I had placed several players on tight marking because they just didn't track back and central midfielders seemed to delay engagement until it was too late. Switched to normal zonal marking and it was a lot better.

6 games - 1 single one-on-one situation. Through balls are non-existant. I don't expect all of them to be a success, but I'd like to see my players try them often, as that is what they have been ordered.

Extremely poor shots from middle range, good position. I mean ball played back from the byline to the penalty spot and the resulting shot is played very wide (high) or very slow. 90% of the time.

Still lots and lots of pointless long shots, although I have "forbidden" them.

+

Karl Henry looks like Karl Henry and not like Xavi. The general play is better.

Seems to be a lot more goals going on in my save,I take it that is down to my team not taking anywhere near the amount of long shots as they were before.

I also have a striker that was not scoring to many at all but he was still young and I hoped he would come good,since the patch he has managed 8 goals in 8 games,maybe it was just his time to come good <shrug>

There are some pretty high scoring games for me so far 2-3,1-4,4-2,2-0,4-2 have been the latest results.

Also I think I read someone say that maybe players playing through the middle might not be as effective as pre-patch.

My 2 AMC have been unstoppable,with 1 of them,a recent signing for 2.2 million has scored 5 and set up 6 in 10 games,he may have always been this good and might just have been a great buy as he only played a couple of games pre-patch.

Only been some 10 games but pretty happy thus far.

6 games - 1 single one-on-one situation. Through balls are non-existant. I don't expect all of them to be a success, but I'd like to see my players try them often, as that is what they have been ordered.

Extremely poor shots from middle range, good position. I mean ball played back from the byline to the penalty spot and the resulting shot is played very wide (high) or very slow. 90% of the time.

Still lots and lots of pointless long shots, although I have "forbidden" them.

+

Karl Henry looks like Karl Henry and not like Xavi. The general play is better.

You sure you are updated? I am seeing very few silly long shots and plenty of through balls from my deep lying playmaker Will Hughes.

Archived