How long does it take you to do a season and will you hire a football director?

I have not played past few Football Manager games despite buying them. I never had the time but determined to play this one and have as many leagues and countries as possible etc as more things in the game the more enjoyment you get.

I am curious how long does it take you guys to play a season? I take about 5 hours just scouting players around the world looking for youngsters and top players for decent fees. How long do you take in pre season and how long do you take to do a season? I think your first pre-season is the most important and one you should take time on.

A season normally takes me 2 or 3 days. As with the DoF- I'll probably give it a go, but I prefer to deal with transfers, contracts and staff recruitment myself. I can see a DoF signing players I really don't need or want.

You can decide what you want the director of football to be in charge of. Renewing contracts and trying to recruit young players might be two things you want him to do for example. I will try put around 8 hours a day for the first few days on football manager.

For me the off season/pre season i usually spend a large amount on like say 5-6 hours as scouting new players, tactics tinkering, looking at other clubs/leagues etc, before than starting new season which usually takes me say a week playing a few hours each day. So by Christmas i am to be in around 2018 on my journeyman save :) As will be playing a network game with my mate as well.

As for DoF, i'll be hiring one as soon as any club im at allows me and keep them all the way through like i do with the first assistant manager/coaches i get :) I'll just be leaving them with contract negotiations to do. As im terrible with them and always end up over offering by panicking because another club is in talks with them so hopefully my DoF can hold their bottle and thrash out a decent deal for club and me!

Varies really sometimes just over a day other times can take me two weeks to finish a season. I tend to leave my career save running all the time and just have a go here and there when I feel like it. I tend to find when the game first comes out I play more and then as the new game gets nearer to release I slow down preparing myself for a new adventure.

I will defiantly be trying the DOF, I think I'll put it in place at clubs that use them and set the parameters to however meddling a chairman is or towards the clubs philosophy is set irl towards transfers.

That is nothing! I spent over 50 days or 1200 hours on FM11!

That is a shift.

I remember temporarily defecting from the CM / FM series back in the mid 90's with Gremlins Premier Manager 3 (proper class game!) I hate to think how long I spent on that, but then again I was a teenager and had a lot of spare time back then!

I normally like to manage 5 teams on one save,(all in different leagues) sometimes i even have some friends up on weekends and we manage a couple each, we also watch every game on 3d, so our seasons can take weeks of playing to even reach the half way point.

With both FM11 and FM 12 i never even got past 3 seasons, it's the first time since the CM days that i've never played the games for more than a 100 hours, but with FM13 i'm determined to play as many seasons as possible before FM14.

That is mental?! 10% of your time in the past year has been spent on FM12. I guess you won't be one for the new Classic mode!

It really is and then you add in 8 hours of sleep per night...

2.5 hours a day of FM over the past year + 8 hours of sleep = 10.5 hours.

Plenty of time to lead a social life too and work!

From my understanding, the DoF deals with everything that I find crucial to do myself and which is the most fun part of the game.

So I doubt I'd hire one. However, maybe I'll give it a go in order to find out if there are at least some tiny bits where I'd find him helpful.

Time to finish one season: 40 hours of playing FM, something between 3 and 6 weeks of real time :(

It really is and then you add in 8 hours of sleep per night...

2.5 hours a day of FM over the past year + 8 hours of sleep = 10.5 hours.

Plenty of time to lead a social life too and work!

If we add in 9 hours of being at and travelling to / from work and the sleep, then these softies are actually missing out on 4.5 hours per day of playing. Call yourselves dedicated....

The first preseason is definitely the most important. Getting your tactics right and signing the players to fit in, sorting out your staff, and training, getting rid of dead wood. Can take me days just to get out of preseason. I want to try out the DoF but I've decided to go for some lower league management so will be a while before I get one in, and but think it'll be handy renewing contracts which I find boring or forget to do for my staff and then I lose them!

I will surely hire a Director of Football if I start managing Boca. Since argentinian teams have Directors of Football instead of managers doing all the work, it's just to make it more realistic, even if I risk the AI doing questionable decisions (Well, they couldn't be more questionable than IRL decisions at Boca :p)

I take weeks, usually 2-3. I take ages during the first half, then tend to motor through after the January transfer window like a bat out of hell because it get's so exciting.

As for a DOF, I will definitely do a save where I have one, and face the challenge of that. As for my main Spurs save, I may, may do so for the sake of realism and have him bring youth produce through. But I suspect the DOF will take an incarnation or two before it works well enough. Though it is an excellent feature in theory, and one I've been championing for over the last two years.

I will surely hire a Director of Football if I start managing Boca. Since argentinian teams have Directors of Football instead of managers doing all the work, it's just to make it more realistic, even if I risk the AI doing questionable decisions (Well, they couldn't be more questionable than IRL decisions at Boca :p)

I'm sure this will add to the challenge.

Archived