The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well what a great day out I enjoyed today, thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction. Can't really go wrong by getting the train, just a case of follow everyone else! Now I know for next time it will be much easier and hopefully bring someone with me.

Can any Manchester locals tell me how long it would take to walk from Picadilly to OT? Didn't take long on the metro and that just seemed to go around in circles/squares. Can't imagine direct walking would take that long.

Thought Buttner had a pretty poor first half in honesty, some rash tackles and he was caught for pace once or twice.. however the second half was a complete turnaround, great defensively and fantastic driving runs, with a goal to his name also. Achieved in one match what Evra has failed to do in years :D (Love Evra, but the positions he gets into, should score more, and definately assist more).

My personal Motm would have been Welbeck, thought he was superb.

Buttner look good in parts. Just another Wingback/Winger who cannot cross or defend.

Thought his crossing was pretty decent myself.

Seems the lineup wasn't so bad after all.

It was never 'so bad'. It was weak. We could have won 150-0 and we'd still have second choice players in at least five positions.

Missed bits of the game today but looked like a decent performance all told. Nani should hopefully have his critics off his back for a while with that solid performance (inside the club obviously, I'm not expecting miracles).

Welbeck did very well I thought in probably his best position, and Hernandez looked very lively and much more tactically flexible than previously - made better runs in deeper and wide positions rather than always looking to get in behind. That both performed without a more established strike partner bodes well for when they get their chance with RvP/Rooney/Kagawa. Maybe a warm up for the same combination against Newcastle in the COC.

Thought Rio was very good today, back to his best as a calming presence across the back four. Buttner looks decent, hopefully will be more of a semi-permanent fixture than a de Laet/Tosic type signing.

Think today also encapsulated the latter day Giggs in one performance - such a bizarre mix of the sublime and the ridiculous.

Great praise for Scholes from Red Nev: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2203846/Paul-Scholes-simply-best-English-player-generation-Gary-Neville.html

Loved these parts. It says it all.

The best illustration I can give of his talent is that at Manchester United there was always a possession drill in training designed to develop our passing ability, which might be three players against another three players, or six versus six, or nine versus nine. But no matter what the numbers were, the side with Paul Scholes on their team would always win by keeping the most possession.

Don’t watch anyone else. Just watch him for 90 minutes. Sacrifice your gate money and don’t look at the ball, unless Scholes has it. Don’t worry about watching the goals or any other player. Just look at his positioning, where he places himself, his body shape when he receives the ball, where he moves when he hasn’t got the ball and how he sets himself to play the ball. You’ll learn more about the game in 90 minutes than you will from any coaching video or training session.

It's difficult on TV broadcasts, but I sometimes find myself just watching Paul Scholes. How he receives the ball, turns and sets up for a pass with one touch, how he moves when he doesn't have the ball, what he does when he then doesn't get the ball, and his technique on those centimeter timed 60-70 meter crossfield passes. Somehow this combined means he manages to control the pace of the match, like an orchestra conductor. Simply a wonderful player to watch, and one player we'll never be able to replace.

Haha just saw the clip of the tackles going in. Glad the ref played on as they were definitely hard rather than naughty tackles.

Saw powell's interview on mutv too and he said he was a bit scared when he came on. Hopefully he'll settle into it though. Sounds a bit gangster strangely.

That thing about Scholes there but does anyone remember when Sky first started showing football there would be an individual camera on a particular player for 15 minutes a time so 6 players a game. They stopped that, I think. Used to be able to cut out commentary but still have crowd noise too

If they stopped showing half an hour a game shots of random mugs in the stands or the bench they could probably have a camera on each player for 90 minutes. Would certainly love something like that for Scholes, if I lived in the UK and had Sky.

They should show that clip when advertising the PL to the Yank audience. They'd love stuff like that. As do we. Do that in Spain, and 3 players are sent off, with four others clutching to their faces and rolling around :lol::brock:

Think it was more being proud of where the club has come now from a few years back, to competing for the same players United are interested in.

Early days yet for Büttner, but he was very good going forward yesterday. Leaves a bit to be desired on the defence, but we can say the same about Evra and Rafael there. Can be a bit too aggressive and "sell themselves" going for the ball, or be too risky in tackles and positioning. Just a small example with Rafael yesterday. There was a time when he pushed out to close down a guy, leaving a huge gap behind him. Thankfully the Wigan player didn't run into the room and the pass never came, and Rafael then saw the danger and dropped deeper. Small things like that can easily lead to goals against, and then there was the high-risk tackle by Büttner inside the box in the first half. Rafael has learned a lot, and hopefully Büttner will too. He couldn't have wished for a better debut and will be busting with confidence now. Probably much the same for Powell. They'll feel like a million pounds scoring on their debuts.

Apparently the last time two players debuted and scored on their debuts simultaneously was 107 years ago. Not bad.

Loooking forward to the game tomorrow. Should be a nice strong team. Hopefully can be done and dusted by half time and RVP and maybe Kagawa can be rested for Liverpool.

Do we think DDG will come back in for the CL games?

EDIT: and you guys going grey have it easy, I'm 28 and have almost lost all my hair :(

I think Gala might be a touch trickier than that :D Reads like a who's who of top Prem rejects - Baros; Eboue; Riera ffs :thup:. Some decent players in the squad, as they'd need to have to win the 12th best league in Europe (so say waffa).

DDG

Rafael

Vidic

Evans

Evra

Carrick

Cleverley

Valencia

Kagawa

Welbeck

van Persie

would be a nice 11 I reckon. Maybe Anderson in for Cleverley.

A little off-top but does anyone else feel that Michael Cox is spreading himself too thin? Zonalmarking seems to be being neglected with all his freelance articles for other sites.

Don't really care. Too often I've seen his articles ignore what really happens for a few stills that support what he wants to be happening. Long since given up on reading most of his stuff

Don't really care. Too often I've seen his articles ignore what really happens for a few stills that support what he wants to be happening. Long since given up on reading most of his stuff

Really? I've had a few which seemed a bit iffy but not to the extent you're saying.

A little off-top but does anyone else feel that Michael Cox is spreading himself too thin? Zonalmarking seems to be being neglected with all his freelance articles for other sites.

I've noticed there's barely anything posted on zonalmarking any more, which is a shame. I don't agree with all, but it was a good source of decent analysis. I don't know where else he writes, but it was a good to-to-place. Looks like it isn't any more. A Norwegian site has decent analysis of United's games now, with some of the same flaws, that too much emphasis is put on shots that happen to support the view the analyst makes - which isn't necessarily what is prevalent in the match he is analysing.

Archived