The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

Just been catching up on things on twitter and just seen that Robbie Fowler has said Evra should be the one to place flowers down in front of the Kop on Sunday and that ****ing idiot Oliver Holt thinks its a great idea.

If I hear Respect one more ****ing time I think I may well explode.

Where was the Respect from Liverpool's fans, players, manager and the rest of the club for Evra???

Hope Evra is left out of the team for sunday because I would hate for him to have to shake hands with that vile human. He had his chance to put it to bed and blew it.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ollie Holt having a go at Yolkie and blocking him for calling it out as an idiotic idea was a highlight. Absolutely amazing that people think it's a good idea.

Also brilliant, as I read on twitter today, that people demand that Evra shakes hands with Suarez (who was found guilty) but have no problem with Ferdinand shunning Terry (was found not guilty, so far).

I hope Evra is selected, he was willing to shake Suarez's hand last time, he's a big enough man to do so again now. Whether the victim will be willing too is another matter entirely

Seems really strange that there seems to be a question of whether Evra, who last time said he wanted to draw a line under it and tried to shake, will shake hands; while apparently Suarez's assurances that he will shake hands - just as he did last time - mean everything will go off without a hitch.

I don't understand why Fowler thinks it's a good idea for an Evra-Suárez "gesture" of sorts during the Hillsborough ceremony before the game. Any gestures made during that ceremony should be for the 96, and nothing else. In addition, any gestures made by the clubs should be restricted to people who are actually acting on behalf of the clubs - in this case, Vidić and Gerrard (at least in a football player sense).

The only people who really want to see a handshake of that sort are Sky, so they can continue Handshake-gate.

Just been catching up on things on twitter and just seen that Robbie Fowler has said Evra should be the one to place flowers down in front of the Kop on Sunday and that ****ing idiot Oliver Holt thinks its a great idea.

If I hear Respect one more ****ing time I think I may well explode.

Where was the Respect from Liverpool's fans, players, manager and the rest of the club for Evra???

Hope Evra is left out of the team for sunday because I would hate for him to have to shake hands with that vile human. He had his chance to put it to bed and blew it.

I think it'd be a great thing if they shook hands. Not to undermine the seriousness of racism, of course, but when you put this issue against the backdrop of Hillsborough it makes me appreciate that this situation is one which can reach a somewhat satisfactory solution, whereas Hillsborough (or Munich, for that matter) never will.

The responsibility for making this conciliatory gesture lies entirely with Luis Suarez, though, even if he still feels he is innocent. He needs to suck it and make a genuine effort to apologise for the offence caused - he may not have intended offence, but he absolutely did cause offence and should apologise accordingly.

Yes, the respect coming from a number of people associated with the club simply wasn't there. I have always accepted the need for the club to support its player, but we could have so easily found a way to both support Suarez and offer our apologies for the incident at the same time. It was handled appallingly, and I'm glad that a key part of that is no longer associated with the club.

It's difficult not to agree with your sentiment that Suarez is a vile human, but I'm still hopeful that he can begin to demonstrate that he's not a total ****.

Anyway, I just wanted to pop my head round the door and applaud SAF for his letter to Man Utd fans which will be handed out on Sunday. It was breathtakingly well written, and I can't imagine the mentality of any individual who elects not to abide by the pleas made within. For our part, I hope our fans take equal inspiration from it and desist from any abhorrent chanting of our own.

I don't understand why Fowler thinks it's a good idea for an Evra-Suárez "gesture" of sorts during the Hillsborough ceremony before the game. Any gestures made during that ceremony should be for the 96, and nothing else. In addition, any gestures made by the clubs should be restricted to people who are actually acting on behalf of the clubs - in this case, Vidić and Gerrard (at least in a football player sense).

The only people who really want to see a handshake of that sort are Sky, so they can continue Handshake-gate.

Yeah, I don't see why the Evra/Suarez thing should be tied into Hillsborough in any way. As I said above, though, I'd still be keen to see them shake hands, but with the onus being on Suarez to make it a gesture of public apology.

I'm getting tired of how all this Hillsborough stuff is being reported now. Yes it should've never happened but Liverpool fans are now being painted as angels whilst United fans are being told what they can & cannot sing & all the focus is on that rather than the bigger issue which is the fact the police were massively corrupt & complicit with the government. You would think the papers might want to run with that rather than what a small minority of fans might hurl at each other.

Same way that people want Suarez & Evra to shake hands. Evra tried last time & Suarez was having none of it. Yet somehow it's being reported as a will it/won't it happen scenario. Liverpool created this situation in the first place by handling it horribly. But the focus cannot be placed on them because as we now know thanks to the report coming out, they're all innocent & nothing could ever possibly be their fault.

As for the fans, they can sing whatever they want, right or wrong. That's why we have freedom of speech. They might be total cretins for doing it but that's no reason to stop them. I actually think all of this attention being brought to it is making the situation worse. It's like before the Wigan game when Ferguson came out & spoke about wanting the fans not to sing about it. So they didn't. They just sang about everything else, Heysel, murderers, racist *******, THAT chorus from 'in your Liverpool slums' etc. Had it not been brought up there wouldn't have been anywhere near the same level of chanting.

Finally, there's a reason United fans sang 'Where's your famous Munich song' the first time the sides met after Hillborough. The reason is that Liverpool fans are a bunch of horrible, horrible ******** & nobody should ever forget that.

So, what's your point Coldberg? Liverpool fans are ***** and Man Utd fans shouldn't make any effort to improve their behaviour, where it needs it? You're dwelling too much on the negative and not instead on what could/should be done to improve matters. FWIW, I agree with you that the balance of reporting has been too focused on the Man Utd fans alone - Liverpool fans MUST behave themselves on Sunday (and thereafter, of course) and if they don't should be punished with as much verve as they would demand of others.

I guess my main point is that the media are stirring this up in the hope that both sets of fans do let themselves down so they have something to report about. Same with Suarez/Evra & the handshake. They are using the Hillsborough report as a cover for their own agenda which is to create something they can report on. Everyone in the media wants the fans to sing about Munich/Hillsborough & they want Evra/Suarez to refuse to shake hands. They're just angling it so it looks like it shouldn't be happening because of Hillsborough when it shouldn't be happening at all.

Why did it need to be brought up at all? Hillsborough is going to be at the front of every fans mind at the game on Sunday. Thanks to the media & Ferguson/Rodgers (& various other managers/players/non-entities) so will chants about both events. The people who were going to chant about it anyway didn't need reminding & those who aren't still won't. If you're the type of goon to sing about someone dying then it doesn't matter what anyone says (especially those with no authority over you), you're going to do it.

My other point is that Liverpool fans are a bunch of horrible ******** who shouldn't suddenly be forgiven for all the other crap throughout history just because a report proved what everybody (well, any sane person) already knew.

As a side note, does nobody else see the irony of how Liverpool/United (& fans of other clubs to a massively lesser extent) are being portrayed by the media after the report came out? We're being treated how fans were treated in the 80's which led to various near misses before the inevitable finally happened. Calling for CCTV in grounds & all the other preemptive crap which is basically treating fans like hooligans/criminals before any offence has been commited.

I guess my main point is that the media are stirring this up in the hope that both sets of fans do let themselves down so they have something to report about. Same with Suarez/Evra & the handshake. They are using the Hillsborough report as a cover for their own agenda which is to create something they can report on.
Now that IS a very good point. I still don't think it's fair to say "Liverpool fans are *****" as I certainly don't think it applies to all, but I do agree that some deserve such a slur.

Evra shaking Suarez's hand wouldn't be a gesture of unity, it would be a gesture of forgiveness for something which Suarez has refused to even acknowledge his guilt for.

The whole team should be congratulating the families of the 96 on what they've achieved so far. Evra and Suarez is a totally separate issue.

Well it's more that it's the first home game since the report, so the first time the fans and club have been at the ground to make their gestures/responses. And happenstance means that they're playing us (as with city on the 50th anniversary of Munich). Not that the media ***** hasn't been completely ott, but it would be a significant event regardless, given that it's the first match at Anfield.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that. I think all the stuff the clubs are doing together tomorrow is great and the club and its fans deserve all the gestures and the chance to come together at Anfield. I think there's less been said about the actual game in all the press build up than there has been in a very long time between United and Liverpool.

Most reports I have read about this 'let's stop the chanting' have all mentioned the fact Liverpool fans also sing about Munich as well as United singing about Hillsborough. I don't see anyone saying 'no one can sing about Hillborough but it's alright for Liverpool fans to go ahead as normal with the Munich stuff'.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that. I think all the stuff the clubs are doing together tomorrow is great and the club and its fans deserve all the gestures and the chance to come together at Anfield. I think there's less been said about the actual game in all the press build up than there has been in a very long time between United and Liverpool.

Ah cool, read your post as 'why is this still news when it's been over a week'. Agree with that, found it remarkable that the main story on the beeb site on Wednesday was 'EVRA AND SUAREZ EXPECTED TO SHAKE HANDS' when we had a Champions League match that evening ffs.

Most reports I have read about this 'let's stop the chanting' have all mentioned the fact Liverpool fans also sing about Munich as well as United singing about Hillsborough. I don't see anyone saying 'no one can sing about Hillborough but it's alright for Liverpool fans to go ahead as normal with the Munich stuff'.

I think the thing is that because of Hillsborough becoming a current event again with the information release, the onus is more evidently on United's Hillsborough chants than Liverpool's Munich chants. The latter will be an addendum to the headline piece. Which has been exacerbated by the misinterpretation of the 'always the victim' chant.

Agree that Wilson looks absolutely quality :cool:

Ah cool, read your post as 'why is this still news when it's been over a week'. Agree with that, found it remarkable that the main story on the beeb site on Wednesday was 'EVRA AND SUAREZ EXPECTED TO SHAKE HANDS' when we had a Champions League match that evening ffs.

Ah yeah, that's probably because I wrote that just after reading/listening to something like the fifth or sixth discussion about Suarez-Evra and/or the chants and almost nothing about the game itself. In fact I think the only discussion on the game itself has been a two or three minute segment on ESPN's Press Pass.

Should be a strong team tomorrow. Feel more confident now we have van Persie, but there is that feeling of we could easily come away with 0 points. The smaller teams always put up a big fight at home against United.

In the pub for 12 so could do with 3 points then just relax and watch the City v Arsenal game.

Seeing tweets about quite a few reportes being stationed in the United end tomorrow with microphones, best be on your best behaviour if you're going (yes, I'm thinking of you Harry :D)

They'll probably chant it themselves tbh.

Fantastic win for the youths. We have so many good prospects now. Most won't make it here of course, but there is so much talent in that team I think the vast majority of them will get good careers.

Archived