Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Hi,

A couple of stupid questions:

1) When should i choose a FB or a WB?

I tend to choose a FB when ahead of him i have a player that also remains wide, and a WB when ahead of him i have a player that cuts inside.

I choose this because i believe the WB have more creativity so it's a better choice if he doesn't have anyone to play with.

2) The instruction "move into channels" can be given for a lone forward in a support role? For example a DLF(s) or a CF(s) that plays with two IF one the sides?

I ask this because i don't quite know if this instruction will go against the "drop deep" movement that the player should have in that role.

3) I was reading the brilliant document, by THOG, Lines and Diamonds, and about the flexible team shape he says:

"The tactical organisation of a flexible system is based on arranging players into three units. Defend duty players are expected to stay far back. This means defenders will look to create much more depth behind the midfield, central midfielders will look to stay compact with the defence, and the forwards and wide midfielders will look to invite overlap from deeper players"

Does this mean that a flexible team shape it's the better choice for a tactic that wants the FB/WB always overlapping the more advanced wide player?

Thks!

1- I tend to choose FB/WB base don how offensive I want the player to be, even with support or defend duties. The fullback will start off and default to a lower pitch position more in line with your centerbacks. Other than that, there isn't a lot of difference in the roles. The distinction you are making about creativity really doesn't exist. To be honest, there isn't a great deal of difference between the two.

2- Yes you can have a lone forward move into channels. He will still drop deep as you want, but going forward he will tend to move out wider. I think it can work just fine if you are looking for more movement from that position, but as with anything, the effectiveness or desirability will depend on your setup, the players around him, and what the opponent is doing

3- The best way to think of the shapes is this: the more fluid, the more creative freedom the team has, the more compact they play (slightly), and the closer their mentalities are together. In your example, I don't think it matters one way or the other. The overlap behavior is going to be set by roles, duties, and TI/PI, so you can get this structured or flexible.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thks very much Dr. Hook for the detail reponse. :)

You're welcome, and I made an edit: I meant that the fullback starts off deeper and defaults to a deeper pitch position than the wingback :)

It's because there isn't much time with the players. Before a tournament, when you have them for longer is the best time.

the best time for what?

Something that's always bugged me - i'm always getting messages from my assistant saying a few people are unhappy with the training, although the majority of the squad are happy. Is that normal or is that something that can be fixed individually as I expect it can harm morale.

Something that's always bugged me - i'm always getting messages from my assistant saying a few people are unhappy with the training, although the majority of the squad are happy. Is that normal or is that something that can be fixed individually as I expect it can harm morale.

If it's just a few people unhappy that is usually because they have low professionalism. It's unlikely to affect the rest of the teams' morale.

So long as they are actually improving, just ignore them.

It's worth quickly checking your coaches screen under Training to make sure none of the coaches have a heavy workload, as that can lead to complaints from players about not getting enough dedicated training.

I have several question which may seem stupid, but I'd like to know what these instructions exactly mean in terms of ME. I have some assumptions based on what I see on the field but I'd like someone who is familiar with ME mechanics clarify these points:

1. "Retain possession" team instuction - does it make players to retain possession by holding the ball (literally by dribbling or just holding it) or by shorter and more safe passes? What does it mean in terms of ME - instructs players to dribble more, ot to pass shorter, or anything else?

2. Tempo instruction - does it instruct the team to deliver the ball to the goal quicker or slower or does it instruct every player to make his regular actions just more often? In other words, is it "slow - we shall slowly deliver the ball to the goal, quick - we should get there as quick as possible" or "slow - make 1 dribble and 1 pass attempt in a minute, quick - make 5 passes and 5 dribble attempts in a minute, receive the ball and get rid of it quickly"?

3. "Hold Up" player instruction - does it insctruct player to retain possession by dribbling, by passing the ball safely or by literally stopping and just standing for a while and waiting for a partner?

4. "Move into channels" player instruction - does it makes player running into a vertical space between oppostition (e.g. between DCL and DCR, or DL and DCL, DR and DCR) or running inro horizontal space between opposition lines (e.g. between DC and DMC, or DL and ML, DR and MR)?

5. "Roam from position" player instruction - where does it instruct player to roam in ME terms specifically? Vertically or sideways? Or swap position with another player? Or anywhere within a certain area close to his initial position? If yes - how big this area is?

6. "More/fewer risky passes" player instructions - what is meant by risky passes in terms of ME? Through balls only, or long passes as well? Is short pass to a player who is surrounded by opposition players considered as "risky pass"?

7. "Mentality" instruction is primary and has higher priority than any other - do I get it right? For example, player has attacking mentality and short pass instruction. Mentality makes him to play with a risky approach - make more passes forward to the attacking line. So, let's assume he has two passing options - a teammate for sideways short pass and a mate forward for a long pass. Mentality tells him to play forward, so he chooses long ball to the attacking player even though in contradicts with his short passing instruction. Am I right?

Some of these questions might seem really obvious but even ater all these years Football Manager exists we still can find numerous guides which interpet some of the instructions in a comepletly different ways.

1. "Retain possession" team instuction - does it make players to retain possession by holding the ball (literally by dribbling or just holding it) or by shorter and more safe passes? What does it mean in terms of ME - instructs players to dribble more, ot to pass shorter, or anything else?

It asks the team to pass shorter (ie less chance of misplacing a pass) and reduces risky passes/passes into space to again ensure that there is less chance of misplacing passes. It also used to lower tempo, but I believe I read that it doesn't anymore.

2. Tempo instruction - does it instruct the team to deliver the ball to the goal quicker or slower or does it instruct every player to make his regular actions just more often? In other words, is it "slow - we shall slowly deliver the ball to the goal, quick - we should get there as quick as possible" or "slow - make 1 dribble and 1 pass attempt in a minute, quick - make 5 passes and 5 dribble attempts in a minute, receive the ball and get rid of it quickly"?
Tempo affects how long a players has before he makes a decision with the ball, whether it's running, passing, shooting, crossing etc.

So lower tempo will see players hold onto the ball longer so they have more time to decide, but at the risk of either being dispossessed or allowing defenders to get into position to defend. High tempo obviously then gives the defence little time to read and adjust, but it also means the team with the ball will need to be technically good and mentally sharp enough to make quick decisions.

3. "Hold Up" player instruction - does it insctruct player to retain possession by dribbling, by passing the ball safely or by literally stopping and just standing for a while and waiting for a pertner?
Hold up is basically the player putting foot on the ball to take a little longer to weigh up options or wait for support.
4. "Move into channels" player instruction - does it makes player running into a vertical space between oppostition (e.g. between DCL and DCR, or DL and DCL, DR and DCR) or running inro horizontal space between opposition lines (e.g. between DC and DMC, or DL and ML, DR and MR)?
It's the horizontal space between fullback and centreback. So forwards with that instruction will drift wide.
5. "Roam from position" player instruction - where does it instruct player to roam in ME terms specifically? Vertically or sideways? Or swap position with another player? Or anywhere within a certain area close to his initial position? If yes - how big this area is?
It just instructs the player to roam and find space around his position. Not sure how big this radius is though.
6. "More/fewer risky passes" player instructions - what is meant by risky passes in terms of ME? Through balls only, or long passes as well? Is short pass to a player who is surrounded by opposition players considered as "risky pass"?
Passes into space. If you ask a player to attempt fewer risky passes, you're asking him to play to the feet of his teammates.
7. "Mentality" instruction is primary and has higher priority than any other - do I get it right? For example, player has attacking mentality and short pass instruction. Mentality makes him to play with a risky approach - make more passes forward to the attacking line. So, let's assume he has two passing options - a teammate for sideways short pass and a mate forward for a long pass. Mentality tells him to play forward, so he chooses long ball to the attacking player even though in contradicts with his short passing instruction. Am I right?
Mentality is risk. With an attacking Mentality, he will take more risks in everything he decides to do.

In your example, if he has short passing, he'll still pass short. You will just see riskier short passes with an attacking Mentality.

He'll only go with the longer pass if it is within the passing range you set for him or if he has the creative freedom to 'ignore' instructions on occasion.

Shorter and less risky passes.

Doesn't affect dribbling or holding up the ball AFAIK.

Tempo doesn't affect direction, just the time they should take to make a decision. The mentality of the player (team setting modified by duty) affects the direction.

Amount of dribbling is a separate instruction unrelated to tempo.

3. "Hold Up" player instruction - does it insctruct player to retain possession by dribbling, by passing the ball safely or by literally stopping and just standing for a while and waiting for a partner?

All it does is basically lower the players tempo a bit. They can decide to dribble / pass etc depending on there mentality and instructions which are unaffected by the Hold Up instruction.

They look to take up positions between:

DL & DCL

DR & DCR

It expands the area (all directions) of the pitch that player is expected to operate in. Depending on the players attributes, role&duty and how your opponent defends to where they end up.

Not 100% on this but I think its through balls, thats what it was called in the old tactic builder. Distance is a separate setting, if they deviate from it its probably due to creative freedom.

Yes the higher the mentality the more forward thinking the player will be.

If neither option match his instructions (as you've described) then he'll select what he thinks is the best option. Remember creative freedom allows the players to deviate from instructions and do what they think is best more often. Even if there was a short forward pass available the player could go for a long cross field ball if he thinks its worth the risk and you've allowed him that freedom.

HUNT3R,

Thanks for such a quick and detailed reply. I still have a few questions:

It's the horizontal space between fullback and centreback. So forwards with that instruction will drift wide.

Just to clarify, a more complex example:

DIR7cXy.png

So, in this example stricer won't go option A, he'll go for option B - sidewas, right?

And a midfielder - what is considered as a channel for him - option C, or maybe B or A?

Passes into space. If you ask a player to attempt fewer risky passes, you're asking him to play to the feet of his teammates.

Is a pass to feet to a teammate which is tightly marked or closed down by oposition considered as a risky pass in terms of this instruction?

Mentality is risk. With an attacking Mentality, he will take more risks in everything he decides to do.

In your example, if he has short passing, he'll still pass short. You will just see riskier short passes with an attacking Mentality.

He'll only go with the longer pass if it is within the passing range you set for him or if he has the creative freedom to 'ignore' instructions on occasion.

But that's not what I see in the game. A player with average mentality and short pass instruction usually does'nt pass to feet to his mates sideways or behind him. He chooses an option to play a long ball forward or to the opposite flank. I use an instruction "Fewer risky passes" to avoid this and "Be more desciplined" to decrease his creative freedom and make him follow my insctructions, but that has no effect.

In some guides I found an assumption that mentality defines general passing direction - low mentality - more sideways and backwards passes, high - more attacking passes. Thus, low mentality requires more passes to get to the goal, high - less passes. Isn't it right?

Just to clarify, a more complex example:

DIR7cXy.png

So, in this example stricer won't go option A, he'll go for option B - sidewas, right?

And a midfielder - what is considered as a channel for him - option C, or maybe B or A?

It's horizontal, so the striker will go for B.

A is a forward run, which has a setting of its own.

I'm not sure if it is possible for midfielders, but again, it'll be horizontal, so C.

Is a pass to feet to a teammate which is tightly marked or closed down by oposition considered as a risky pass in terms of this instruction?
No. Risky pass is pass into space. If he's instructed not to play risky passes, he simply won't pass into space anymore.

Whether a potentially dangerous pass to feet is deemed good or not, will be determined by a players own decision making and Mentality which determines the amount of risk.

But that's not what I see in the game. A player with average mentality and short pass instruction usually does'nt pass to feet to his mates sideways or behind him. He chooses an option to play a long ball forward or to the opposite flank. I use an instruction "Fewer risky passes" to avoid this and "Be more desciplined" to decrease his creative freedom and make him follow my insctructions, but that has no effect.

In some guides I found an assumption that mentality defines general passing direction - low mentality - more sideways and backwards passes, high - more attacking passes. Thus, low mentality requires more passes to get to the goal, high - less passes. Isn't it right?

With a higher Mentality (more attacking, more risk) of course they'll look forward more. The player may deem a short sideways pass as not part of his instructions if the team has an Attacking mentality, so if no one else is within range, he'll pass long.

summatsupeer,

Thank you for a quick reply

If neither option match his instructions (as you've described) then he'll select what he thinks is the best option. Remember creative freedom allows the players to deviate from instructions and do what they think is best more often. Even if there was a short forward pass available the player could go for a long cross field ball if he thinks its worth the risk and you've allowed him that freedom.

So, ideally if he has no creative freedom and restricted to two options - long ball forward and short pass to the deffence, he should choose the second option, even though he has average or attacking mentallity?

One more question I always had - regarding one of PPM - "Plays one-twos".

One-two consists of two phases:

1) Player A passes to player B and changes position.

2) Player B with first touch passes back to A at his new position.

So, the described PPM - does it mean that the player is player A or player B?

summatsupeer,

Thank you for a quick reply

So, ideally if he has no creative freedom and restricted to two options - long ball forward and short pass to the deffence, he should choose the second option, even though he has average or attacking mentallity?

I'd say no because neither fully match how he's been told to play. It will be up to the player to interpret how he can best follow the instructions and make a decision based on those instructions and his ability.

One more question I always had - regarding one of PPM - "Plays one-twos".

One-two consists of two phases:

1) Player A passes to player B and changes position.

2) Player B with first touch passes back to A at his new position.

So, the described PPM - does it mean that the player is player A or player B?

Player A

1) When should i choose a FB or a WB?

I tend to choose a FB when ahead of him i have a player that also remains wide, and a WB when ahead of him i have a player that cuts inside.

I choose this because i believe the WB have more creativity so it's a better choice if he doesn't have anyone to play with.

I came here to ask exactly these two questions. So thanks for answering those even if, in the second case, it only adds to my puzzlement as this is definitely not what I expected from the PI 'move into channels'.

In both cases, part of the problem I have is that things get lost in translation between English language forums and my Dutch language game. In the Dutch version the PI "move into channels" is translated to "tussen de linies spelen" which (literaly) translated back into English gives something like "move between the lines". As far as I know when commenters us this phrase in Dutch they DO mean them to move between the HORIZONTAL lines, e.g. between DC and DMC. Likewise "Wingback" becomes "attacking fullback" in Dutch. Thus I really wondered what is the difference between a WB and a FB(A).

I suppose there is no dictionary somewhere with exact translations of English FM-terminology in other languages ? My most pressing issue at the moment is to identify the Dutch counterpart of the 'anchorman'. I believe it is the "hangende middenvelder" but I'm not 100% sure.

I don't think Retain Possession does that anymore.

I am pretty sure it does, otherwise all you would need is shorter passing. I know it doesn't move the tempo bar on the tactics screen, all it moves is the passing bar, but if you watch the match, it does slow the tempo down a bit. It was never listed as something that was changed, and we did get some changes to TI's that were documented. It's possible that all it does is imcrementally shorten passing so you don't have as big of a leap from mixed to shorter passing but I never saw anything indicating that it's been altered.

Thanks for answering my query Dr Hook ;)

Another quickie.. Team Shape. In laymans terms does increasing the team shape to fluid or very fluid basically just make the gaps between the lines of Df,Mf and Sts smaller but not narrower and increases each players creative freedom.

If i want to see my team pressing as a unit high up assuming iv set the instructions right very fluid would be the way to go?

Thanks for answering my query Dr Hook ;)

Another quickie.. Team Shape. In laymans terms does increasing the team shape to fluid or very fluid basically just make the gaps between the lines of Df,Mf and Sts smaller but not narrower and increases each players creative freedom.

If i want to see my team pressing as a unit high up assuming iv set the instructions right very fluid would be the way to go?

You have pretty much right-what it does in game terms is set the mentalities of the players closer together so they have more of a tendency to move together and play more compactly, and yes creative freedom is increased. It doesn't affect width, just depth, as I understand it and have experienced it. Unit pressing could be done the way you say, bearing in mind that a very fluid shape will have other effects you might not like. I use a fluid system, but have added a TI of less creative freedom to balance it out a bit.

Dont think ive ever heard of this before can someone confirm?

So I've found recently that your staff member responsible for youth intake can pass down his personality attributes to the regens who are coming in every year. In my save Raul (finally) retired, I've hired him on the staff, made him responsible for youth intake.

Lo and behold, every year my best regen has near Raul's Professionalism, Ambition, Pressure, Loyalty, all the important hidden stats at near maximum. Making them improve rapidly and become better players even without mentoring.

So what you need to do is search staff by personalities, look for people who are Model Professional, Model Citizen, Perfectionist, Iron Willed, and so on. Find the best guy, make him do the youth recruitment and swim in those regens who develop obscenely quick and stay loyal to your club. You can also just look for a former player who had a reputation for a great work ethic. Ryan Giggs is great for this is you're running United, for example.

Dont think ive ever heard of this before can someone confirm?

Yes, your head of youth development can pass along his personality traits to incoming newgens. In my current save, my HOYD is Spirited, and I seem to get one or two each intake with that same personality. Usually you'll see it mentioned in the "New Youth Intake" message in your inbox.

Herne beat me to it, and he's right, you won't by any stretch "swim" in obscenely fast developing regens ;)

Training question - With the way that the training is set up now, usually for strikers and most other attackers I train Complete Forward, as it covers the largest number of attributes, especially the mental ones. I read somewhere recently that said the fewer attributes you train, the more gains you will see for those attributes that you are training. So my question is: Is it better to rotate the roles you are training on 3-month intervals or so, so that you are training less attributes at once, or is this all a rumor?

If you really want to min/max this to wring every single last drop out of training, then 3 month rotations training certain attributes and/or roles is the optimal way to go. However, that involves a lot of micro management which isn't to everyone's taste. You can of course achieve excellent results with sticking to just more generalised training schedules.

If you want to know more, Rashidi's blog is the place to go.

What are the effects of using control strategy with more direct passing selected?

The team will take risks in their decision making (as it is an attacking Mentality) and also will be direct with their passes. Does what it says on the tin, really. :)

I recently started an unemployed save, with Sunday Footballer Reputation, from South Africa. I'm currently managing in a lower league in Romania. My club DNA (thank you Rashidi) is built around the following core attributes: Pace, Acceleration, Strength and First Touch.

Bearing in mind that lower leagues lack in creativity attributes, will it be wise to have a Fluid shape? I know that Fluidity results in the team working as a unit given the situation on the field (attacking, transition and defending) and will have a more compact shape, but will the addition of "creative freedom" limit their ability from making good decisions?

I am getting just crushed defending corner kicks. Last in the league by some margin. It can't be the personnel that we're THIS bad. It's gotta be something I'm doing wrong.

I put a man on each post. 4 on the 6 yard box. I leave one player high to try to get a cheap counter goal. The other three mark tall players. What am I doing wrong?

What's the age limit on tutoring? I thought that players could be tutored up to (and including) the age of 21, however I've just had a 23 year old player "fall out" with his tutor. Is this a bug or have SI increased the age limit this year?

What's the age limit on tutoring? I thought that players could be tutored up to (and including) the age of 21, however I've just had a 23 year old player "fall out" with his tutor. Is this a bug or have SI increased the age limit this year?

The tutoring age limit is no older than 23. That hasn't changed for this year.

I am getting just crushed defending corner kicks. Last in the league by some margin. It can't be the personnel that we're THIS bad. It's gotta be something I'm doing wrong.

I put a man on each post. 4 on the 6 yard box. I leave one player high to try to get a cheap counter goal. The other three mark tall players. What am I doing wrong?

Define "crushed"? Your corners set up seems ok on the face of it. However, if you are last in the league by some margin that would indicate to me you have something a bit more serious going on than just conceding a few corners.

Define "crushed"? Your corners set up seems ok on the face of it. However, if you are last in the league by some margin that would indicate to me you have something a bit more serious going on than just conceding a few corners.

We're last in CK goals by some margin. We're 3rd in the league as a whole. (There's an enormous knot of teams from 2nd to 7th with almost the same number of points.) If we were merely "bad" conceding goals on corners, we'd be clear 2nd and set for promotion.

That's the thing. My team is good. We score well, and our defense outside of corners is good. We concede a CK goal basically every third match. Just unbelievably bad, unrealistic numbers.

If it was a glitch in the match engine it would be OK, because we'd be scoring on CK's every third match and it would even out. But we're about -10 on corners, so clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Also...I'm managing Notts County. It's year 4 and we're in the Championship trying to get to the Prem. (I can't believe it myself.) Another thing that's hurting my team is that we're pulling an Arsenal...we drop too many points to the bottom 5 teams. I'm sure it has something to do with my pep talks. Any advice there? We make up for it by doing well against the teams at the top, but I'm a perfectionist. I wanna beat those bad teams too.

We're last in CK goals by some margin. We're 3rd in the league as a whole. (There's an enormous knot of teams from 2nd to 7th with almost the same number of points.) If we were merely "bad" conceding goals on corners, we'd be clear 2nd and set for promotion.

That's the thing. My team is good. We score well, and our defense outside of corners is good. We concede a CK goal basically every third match. Just unbelievably bad, unrealistic numbers.

If it was a glitch in the match engine it would be OK, because we'd be scoring on CK's every third match and it would even out. But we're about -10 on corners, so clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Also...I'm managing Notts County. It's year 4 and we're in the Championship trying to get to the Prem. (I can't believe it myself.) Another thing that's hurting my team is that we're pulling an Arsenal...we drop too many points to the bottom 5 teams. I'm sure it has something to do with my pep talks. Any advice there? We make up for it by doing well against the teams at the top, but I'm a perfectionist. I wanna beat those bad teams too.

Ahh ok, that's different then, I didn't understand :).

It could be nothing more than just sheer bad luck. This morning I was playing against Stoke, we went in at half time losing 3-1, and all 3 of their goals were from corners. Just meh.

If you struggle against bottom teams that could be more to do with how they play against you. Think about it, you are near the top, they are at the bottom struggling for points. The last thing they want to do is concede, so in all likelihood they'll play fairly conservatively against you. So the space your team might enjoy against better teams (who may be willing to play a more expansive game against you) simply isn't there any more.

But that's just a guess, you'd need to watch matches to see if that's the case or not.

Central Defender with more direct passing (forced less risky passes) vs. Ball Playing Defender (forced mixed, more risky passes):

which one is more likely to go for a Bonucci-esque pass?

edit: assuming no ppm

Be More Disciplined - when is it a good time to use this team instruction?

ie - I am currently trying to emulate rafa benitez type tactics from the old valencia/liverpool sort of style of play. a compact 4231 which employs a medium press with high pressure in the right zones, now to reach the level of compactness I have opted to go standard with very fluid. Very fluid allowing players high creative freedom. would it be a good idea to use be more disciplined to bring it back down a bit get to team to focus on sticking to the tactical shape?

Central Defender with more direct passing (forced less risky passes) vs. Ball Playing Defender (forced mixed, more risky passes):

which one is more likely to go for a Bonucci-esque pass?

edit: assuming no ppm

BPD.

Be More Disciplined - when is it a good time to use this team instruction?

ie - I am currently trying to emulate rafa benitez type tactics from the old valencia/liverpool sort of style of play. a compact 4231 which employs a medium press with high pressure in the right zones, now to reach the level of compactness I have opted to go standard with very fluid. Very fluid allowing players high creative freedom. would it be a good idea to use be more disciplined to bring it back down a bit get to team to focus on sticking to the tactical shape?

It could help yes. Bare in mind there are other ways of achieving compactness when in possession without resorting to Team Shape (eg., Shorter Passing, Higher Def. Line and so on). It depends on how you want to set up.

BPD.

It could help yes. Bare in mind there are other ways of achieving compactness when in possession without resorting to Team Shape (eg., Shorter Passing, Higher Def. Line and so on). It depends on how you want to set up.

wouldnt a higher defensive line negate the medium block?

wouldnt a higher defensive line negate the medium block?

It'll depend on your starting mentality.

eg., if you pick Counter + push higher up, you'll get a def line roughly equivalent to the Standard mentality.

It'll depend on your starting mentality.

eg., if you pick Counter + push higher up, you'll get a def line roughly equivalent to the Standard mentality.

Fair point. Counter is something I've considered it's been a tough system to put together with many a pumping lol