Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What does the setting 'Use Offside Trap' do, apart from the obvious? I'd like to know the mechanisms of that setting. Does it only increase the attempts of the defence to set a striker offside, or are there other 'under the hood' instructions or consequenses kicking in? (E.g. the flat back 4 playing more as a unit, operating more in line, playing more zonally instead of tracking an attacker...) And when exactly do defenders try to set an attacker offside then?

(I know those questions sound a bit stupid, but hey, this is the stupid questions thread, so...)

Is the PI "hold position" the equivalent of setting forward runs to rarely?

Yes, that's correct. You should still be able to get a player to Hold Position, but also Roam, so while he won't attempt forward runs, he'll still try and find space around him.

Which skin(s) for FM16 can show the opposition players roles and duties on the tactical screen?

Unless someone can give a quick answer, you're probably better off asking in the Skinning forum.

If you want to try and train a player to be a goal scoring midfielder, given a CM(a) role, what schedule would be best to use that doesn't also try and improve unnecessary defensive or creative attributes?

In my opinion a CM(a) needs defensive and creative attributes as well as being able to score goals, so not improving these areas may not be a good idea.

If you really want to just focus on his ability to score, set him up in a similar way you would a Poacher, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

Dunno if it belongs here or in 'general questions' but...

Does Adaptability matter at all for a scout that is intended to work solely in his home country? For example, an English Scout scouting in England? The manual doesn't really say on this.

Check the FAQs.

Hi,

I play the touch version on a Ipad, so i have the option to make a quick match. In there i have two options: simulate or instant result.

When i choose simulate, i believe that the game is played with my current tactic, but my question is... will my Assist Manager make any changes during the game?

Yes, No?

And if Yes, what kind of changes? Will he change the formation, players roles, or only the team mentality?

Anyone knows?

Hi,

I play the touch version on a Ipad, so i have the option to make a quick match. In there i have two options: simulate or instant result.

When i choose simulate, i believe that the game is played with my current tactic, but my question is... will my Assist Manager make any changes during the game?

Yes, No?

And if Yes, what kind of changes? Will he change the formation, players roles, or only the team mentality?

Anyone knows?

You may be better off asking this in the FMT forum.

1- What's the effect of the bench shouts (be more creative, stay calm, and so on) ? I'm asking because a message always pops-up stating "making tactical changes", but what are these tactical changes ? How are they visible (because nothing changes at a TI and / or PI level) ?

2- Shouldn't the TI Drible Less be visible in PI ? If a player has a in-coded PI Dribble More, shouldn't the TI to dribble less have an impact on his PI ?

I got a question regarding Shape. I know that the more Fluid you play, the more compact your team becomes, but are we talking about with the ball or off it?

With the ball. When defending your team naturally retreats into a compact formation anyway, regardless of your tactical settings.

Hi,

what does the ppm dwells on ball effectuate? My player has also trys killer balls often. Is this not the exactly the difference from the first?

Dwells on Ball = a player is likely to pause for a short while before making a decision about what to do with the ball. Not always a good thing to have and (I believe) can only be learned via Tutoring. Could be wrong there.

Tries Killer Balls Often = A player will attempt through balls more often. So yes, very different from Dwells on Ball.

1- What's the effect of the bench shouts (be more creative, stay calm, and so on) ? I'm asking because a message always pops-up stating "making tactical changes", but what are these tactical changes ? How are they visible (because nothing changes at a TI and / or PI level) ?

2- Shouldn't the TI Drible Less be visible in PI ? If a player has a in-coded PI Dribble More, shouldn't the TI to dribble less have an impact on his PI ?

1) These bench shouts during matches may give a small boost to players for a very limited time during a match. As far as I am aware there is no visible change to either attributes or morale - I believe it's more "under the hood" (correct me if I'm wrong). Personally I never use them.

2) PIs override TIs, so a role that is hardcoded to dribble will still dribble.

1) These bench shouts during matches may give a small boost to players for a very limited time during a match. As far as I am aware there is no visible change to either attributes or morale - I believe it's more "under the hood" (correct me if I'm wrong). Personally I never use them.

Yeah they last for ten minutes, I believe, and they are like adding a short-term team instruction- so if you use "get creative" it will up creative freedom for the duration of the shout. You're right, they don't alter any visible settings in the tactics screen. I use them on occasion, and I think in principle they could be good, but as with most things, if you aren't sure what they do, don't :D

Shouldn't a BBM with get further forward PI occupy the same space as an CM(a)? I've tried both with the same player and judging by the heat map, BBM never goes as forward as CM(a).

The heat map shows average position, and as the BBM, even with the get further forward, will still drop a lot deeper than a CM(A), so his heatmap will show him sitting deeper. In reality when you have the ball he is going further up the pitch more often.

With the ball. When defending your team naturally retreats into a compact formation anyway, regardless of your tactical settings.

Dwells on Ball = a player is likely to pause for a short while before making a decision about what to do with the ball. Not always a good thing to have and (I believe) can only be learned via Tutoring. Could be wrong there.

Tries Killer Balls Often = A player will attempt through balls more often. So yes, very different from Dwells on Ball.

2) PIs override TIs, so a role that is hardcoded to dribble will still dribble.

thanks herne :)

so, it maybe the case to ask "what are they doing there ?" ? Are there plans to make them more useful ?

As for 2) I thought the override was gone since fm15 (or maybe this one), at least I remember reading something maybe written by the Hand of God - really not sure - that the override of instructions had become less clearer and it was now something more complex mixing also player roles and duties. On the other hand, if the player has both Dribble More and Dribble Less available, shouldn't the Dribble Less TI have an impact on the PI ?

Yeah they last for ten minutes, I believe, and they are like adding a short-term team instruction- so if you use "get creative" it will up creative freedom for the duration of the shout. You're right, they don't alter any visible settings in the tactics screen. I use them on occasion, and I think in principle they could be good, but as with most things, if you aren't sure what they do, don't :D

Ok finally I understand why is it possible to use them only after 10 minutes, never thought it was related with how long they last. I think there might be a few that not translate like a (short) team instruction, such as Be Calm (or something like this) and the one that might translate, wouldn't it be more logic to be visible in team instructions or some other solution more tangible ?

Generally I use them at the beginning of the match and at the beginning of 2nd half.

The heat map shows average position, and as the BBM, even with the get further forward, will still drop a lot deeper than a CM(A), so his heatmap will show him sitting deeper. In reality when you have the ball he is going further up the pitch more often.

Thanks. Sorry i said heat map but i wanted to say average positions. Yes indeed BBM with get further forward it's mostly in the same line as is partner who is a RPM and when i use CM(a), the player it's more advanced.

So i assume that when the ball it's still on my own half the BBM may get deeper to look for the ball and when the ball it's further up the pitch he will bomb forward to the box, and the other way the CM(a) will bomb forward earlier

Thanks. Sorry i said heat map but i wanted to say average positions. Yes indeed BBM with get further forward it's mostly in the same line as is partner who is a RPM and when i use CM(a), the player it's more advanced.

So i assume that when the ball it's still on my own half the BBM may get deeper to look for the ball and when the ball it's further up the pitch he will bomb forward to the box, and the other way the CM(a) will bomb forward earlier

Right, so I think it is working as it should here for you- the BBM starts deeper usually and arrives in the box later than the CM(A) who is already upfield and ready to go :)

Ok finally I understand why is it possible to use them only after 10 minutes, never thought it was related with how long they last. I think there might be a few that not translate like a (short) team instruction, such as Be Calm (or something like this) and the one that might translate, wouldn't it be more logic to be visible in team instructions or some other solution more tangible ?

Generally I use them at the beginning of the match and at the beginning of 2nd half.

Well, I think it doesn't show because it temporary, and also because lots of players use highlights that won't even show a play for ten minutes so there would be no need for a change, but I don't know the SI logic here really. A possible feature addition would be to have a different color bar added to the visible display to show when the touchline shout is active.

Well, I think it doesn't show because it temporary, and also because lots of players use highlights that won't even show a play for ten minutes so there would be no need for a change, but I don't know the SI logic here really. A possible feature addition would be to have a different color bar added to the visible display to show when the touchline shout is active.

That's a great point and very good solution :thup:

Playing with Milan, and I seem to have bad possession and pass completion stats.

So far this season we've averaged about 74% pass completion, whereas I really want to be having 80%+ per game. This is made worse by the fact that our cross completion is only 15%! We normally have less possession and have found ourselves overrun by quite a few teams, drawing when we should be winning.

I'm playing a 4123 DM Wide formation (the fairly standard one), on either standard/very fluid or attacking/fluid. Rotating between short and mixed passing, 'play out of defense' and 'work ball in to box', usually having 2/3 on. However, it still seems to be the same story every match. any advice?

Hello guys!

I'm using this tactic:

gk

dr dc dc dl

a

wm ap wm

ss

p

It's better to use an advanced playmaker behind the striker or a shadow striker? And why?

An SS with a Poacher is not a good combo, because the first will look to occupy the same space of the second, you will need instead a forward that creates space to the SS.

Is there any other way to increase % of transfer revenue made available than asking the board?

This is really frustrating in a small club like FC Groningen. I have the opportunity to sell one of my players for 15 million, which is a lot for this club, and that would let me buy some good players to increase my team quality.

However i will only see 7,5 million from that because i only have 50% of revenue and i had to ask to the board because i only had 35%!!! :mad:

Edit: Maybe i should've asked in general discussion forum.

Okay so I fixed my last problem, and seem to have caused a new problem

The last 3 games we have dominated possession, chances and had great pass completion. However, in the last 10 minutes of the games we've conceded 4 goals, so that we drew three times rather than winning. What can I do to stop my team conceding stupid goals in the last few minutes?

Okay so I fixed my last problem, and seem to have caused a new problem

The last 3 games we have dominated possession, chances and had great pass completion. However, in the last 10 minutes of the games we've conceded 4 goals, so that we drew three times rather than winning. What can I do to stop my team conceding stupid goals in the last few minutes?

When the AI is chasing a game, it will go overload at the last few minutes and throw everyone forward. Do you do anything to react to this at all? What I generally do if they are starting to mount some sort of momentum (they don't always, but when they do . . .) is to slow the game down and play compact. For me this is generally a defensive mentality, even contain, a retain possession TI, time wasting up, and clear ball to flanks to keep it away from the dangerous areas if I need a clear. You can also adjust roles, by getting your midfield to drop deeper and clog up the middle. If you are just trying to hang on to a result, you can dispense with any attacking roles completely, and even put your strikers on Defensive Forward defend. There are a number of things you can do, but the moment you see that all of a sudden you are getting pressured, you have to react.

Can anyone advise why Training progress reports on an individual default to one of the coaches (in my case a Goalkeeping coach) forcing me to select a different coach very time - and when I change it it doesn't retain the selection I previously made?

Thanks

Very silly question

Will better training facilities and coach prevent injuries in training?

No- that is down to player injury proneness and heaviness of workload

Can anyone advise why Training progress reports on an individual default to one of the coaches (in my case a Goalkeeping coach) forcing me to select a different coach very time - and when I change it it doesn't retain the selection I previously made?

Thanks

I tried a bunch of things just now and couldn't get a change to stick either- probably this is one to bring up to SI unless someone else knows how it is done. If it can be done, it isn't very intuitive.

Out of curiosity when is the best time to play with a lower/higher tempo? I've came to the conclusion that if I'm getting press then higher is the best way to go.

Depends on what you want which I guess is why no one rushed to answer- lots of scenarios where you may want to do one or the other. But, yes, high tempo can be effective against a hard pressing team , as low tempo can be useful to see out the last bits of a match. But again, I can imagine many situations where you might want to adjust your tempo.

Is it possible to try and get a player who is booked to be sent off?

In real life teams sometimes look to get opposition players sent off once they have been booked. I.e. if they know the player has a bad temper etc.

Is it possible to do this in FM? :D

In a way- you can set an OI on him to hard tackle in hopes he will get angry and retaliate and there might be other tricks that people have learned, but there is no straight out instruction to do that; kind of wish there was though.

Does 3 star potential mean that the player can be as good as my current best player for the position?

Potentially yes. Star ratings are all relative to other players at your club, so somebody with 3 stars or above I'd expect to be able to at least challenge for a first team place.

When using a DM the defensive line is pushed back a little, if using an AM does the defensive line get pushed up a little?

No.

In a 4-4-1-1 playing fluid, can i close the gap between defence and midfield by pushing the defensive line up?

Yes.

(Sorry for short answers but there isn't much else to say !).