Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

If you say have four corner or free kick routines in the set pieces folder (therefore within the drop down menu in set pieces) can you only set one for the start of each match and only that one would be used or will your team use the various routines that are available?

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can a roaming playmaker and Advanced Playmaker play together in a three man midfield? With DM behind them and IF on the wings? If so, would you put the AP on attack or support? Would these two positions 'get in the way of each other' on the pitch?

Can a roaming playmaker and Advanced Playmaker play together in a three man midfield? With DM behind them and IF on the wings? If so, would you put the AP on attack or support? Would these two positions 'get in the way of each other' on the pitch?

It'll probably depend on your overall system. However, just remember that the AP(A), RPM and IF all have Dribble More set by default. That's a lot of dribbling.

How on earth can I stop conceding from crosses? In two games I've conceded 5 goals all of which are from crosses. Infuriating is not the word.

I think you'd need to detail your system and give examples.

It'll probably depend on your overall system. However, just remember that the AP(A), RPM and IF all have Dribble More set by default. That's a lot of dribbling.

It might look like a Harlem Globetrotters match :D

If you say have four corner or free kick routines in the set pieces folder (therefore within the drop down menu in set pieces) can you only set one for the start of each match and only that one would be used or will your team use the various routines that are available?

Actually, this is a great question, and I don't think it's possible. At least, it hasn't worked like this that I saw. Unless we are just idiots and missing something :D but it sounds like a good feature request. How would it work though? Each set piece you would have to stop and select the routine? Or are you just wanting it to cycle through so that it is throwing variations at the opponents? Maybe random? I kind of like that idea as a setting.

Actually, this is a great question, and I don't think it's possible. At least, it hasn't worked like this that I saw. Unless we are just idiots and missing something :D but it sounds like a good feature request. How would it work though? Each set piece you would have to stop and select the routine? Or are you just wanting it to cycle through so that it is throwing variations at the opponents? Maybe random? I kind of like that idea as a setting.

Well we were discussing Fenech's tactic which I am using at the moment and I also downloaded a few corner routines. Someone felt that by just putting them in the folder they would rotate but others felt you would have to load which one you used at the start of each game, unless you physically load a new routine during the game. I have kept clicking into set pieces as the game goes on but it does look like whichever routine you choose at he start of the game is the one that is used in the game, unless you change it. Never really thought about it before but it's a fair point that more than one corner, free kick and corner routine is used in matches IRL. Same goes with defensive set pieces as depending on the area of an opposition free kick you wouldn't necessarily have say 4 men in a wall. So to somehow have an automatic option of swapping set pieces would be great.

I can't see how SI could make them just random or is it possible that whatever is loaded in to the set pieces folder can get used randomly? I guess one way thy could do it is to be able to allocate a routine for a particular player. So for instance Mark Noble has a routine and if he leaves the pitch the next allocated player and his routine would be used.

Is it possible somehow to have a 4 man defence and when one of the two full backs bombs forward, the other three make a -as close as possible- traditional back three?

For example, WBa - CDx - CDc - FBd (who will be the CDx on the right, maybe with "CD" PIs).

Is it possible somehow to have a 4 man defence and when one of the two full backs bombs forward, the other three make a -as close as possible- traditional back three?

For example, WBa - CDx - CDc - FBd (who will be the CDx on the right, maybe with "CD" PIs).

In short no.

What is the difference between IF(S) with PI "Get further forward" and IF (A) ?

The IFS with gets further forward will naturally be deeper out of possession and the get further forward instruction is an in possession instruction. The IFA will always be higher because his mentality instructs him to be higher both in and out of possession.

Guest El Payaso

I asked this before and got no answer: if I employ the "dribble less" team instruction, what effect will it have on those roles that have the "dribble more" hard coded. These roles are for example wingers, inside forwards, complete forwards and false nine. Does it influence on these roles?

Also if I decide to use "dribble less" as a team instruction and use wide midfielders and employ " dribble more " for them, then how much dribbling will they have activated?

You can load up to 3 routines from your set pieces folder. In my games, it does alternate between the routines I loaded.

Nice one. I never noticed :D It is the sad man who can't learn at least one new thing once in a while! Thanks.

I asked this before and got no answer: if I employ the "dribble less" team instruction, what effect will it have on those roles that have the "dribble more" hard coded. These roles are for example wingers, inside forwards, complete forwards and false nine. Does it influence on these roles?

Also if I decide to use "dribble less" as a team instruction and use wide midfielders and employ " dribble more " for them, then how much dribbling will they have activated?

TI and PI are "stackable" now, so if you the dribbling in the case you mention would be a midpoint between the two (without sliders it is hard to tell exactly where).

Guest El Payaso
TI and PI are "stackable" now, so if you the dribbling in the case you mention would be a midpoint between the two (without sliders it is hard to tell exactly where).

Okay so it will also effect on those players... Thank you.

Hi guys. I am in the third season with Granada, and I keep struggling to score goals and my defense is very leaky. Could you give me some advice on my tactics?

Instructions: Control, Flexible, Retain possesion, shorter passing

GK - GK D (Inst.: roll out to central defenders)

DR - FB S

DC - CD D

DC - CD D

LB - WB S

CM - DLP D

CM - BWM S

AMR - W S

AMC - SS A

AML - IF A

ST - F9 S

How can I improve either of my problems. Thanks in advance.

Hi guys. I am in the third season with Granada, and I keep struggling to score goals and my defense is very leaky. Could you give me some advice on my tactics?

Instructions: Control, Flexible, Retain possesion, shorter passing

GK - GK D (Inst.: roll out to central defenders)

DR - FB S

DC - CD D

DC - CD D

LB - WB S

CM - DLP D

CM - BWM S

AMR - W S

AMC - SS A

AML - IF A

ST - F9 S

How can I improve either of my problems. Thanks in advance.

What sort of goals do you concede? What is your vision of how you will create and score goals? People can offer guesses but need more information to give any solid advice.

When the AI goes more attacking what changes do people make? As I play counter i don't really want to drop deeper but think maybe More Direct Passes would be good, the intention being to exploit space behind the advancing players

It depends on the score at the time. Usually they will only go on the attack if chasing a game, and if you have managed to get a lead and the AI suddenly starts to leave more space, why would you change a thing?

It depends on the score at the time. Usually they will only go on the attack if chasing a game, and if you have managed to get a lead and the AI suddenly starts to leave more space, why would you change a thing?

An example is a game i had last night, 2-1 up they went attacking and i scored a 3rd. I ended up drawing the game 3-3 and it just seemed i couldn't get out my half. Granted my Left full back was attacking so maybe I should have dropped this to support but my thinking is by going more direct it gets the ball further away my goal a little more quickly

my thinking is by going more direct it gets the ball further away my goal a little more quickly

Alternatively - it risks conceding possession back to a team who are going all out to get a goal. Generally I don't do much but I might slow the tempo down and look to keep hold of the ball, rather than risk losing it.

What sort of goals do you concede? What is your vision of how you will create and score goals? People can offer guesses but need more information to give any solid advice.

There is no general picture. I just concede a lot. Maybe a tendency could be that they cross from deep in behind my CD's and then an oncoming striker first times it in.

I want to have my main outlets (AML and AMC) to score goals. I aim to play possesion football, so goals should be built up. Don't know waht to say really other than that.

What sort of things would you keep in mind when playing a Counter strategy as a big club? Is it possible to play this way but with a high block so you arent completely conceding possession?

I am worried that if I pl;ay this way against defensively minded sides, the game will just completely fizzle out.

I use an advanced playmaker CM - should I be setting him to 'attack' or 'support' in most people's opinion? What are the main differences there, given that he's 'advanced' by definition I'd expect him to mostly attack either way. Which is best?

(as a bit of background I use a 4-3-3 with AML&AMR, and either three CMs or a CDM and two CMs depending on the match/team etc)

What sort of things would you keep in mind when playing a Counter strategy as a big club? Is it possible to play this way but with a high block so you arent completely conceding possession?

I am worried that if I pl;ay this way against defensively minded sides, the game will just completely fizzle out.

Personally, I wouldn't want to play with a higher line. You won't actually get the counter attacks to trigger in the Match Engine. Remember too that in the case that a counter attack doesn't trigger, that your side will play a relatively patient possession style of football (In my experience anyway).

I'm playing a Very Fluid Counter Attack 4-4-1-1 with Arsenal and it's one of my best seasons. I often end up with more than 50% possession anyways, but ultimately I'm not concerned with possession, rather efficient utilization of possession. If you're not able to beat the more defensive sides, then typically you aren't creating enough space or using space that is created efficiently. Something to look at in that case would be the player roles and movement.

That's just my opinion, others may have a different view.

There is no general picture. I just concede a lot. Maybe a tendency could be that they cross from deep in behind my CD's and then an oncoming striker first times it in.

I want to have my main outlets (AML and AMC) to score goals. I aim to play possesion football, so goals should be built up. Don't know waht to say really other than that.

OK. Defensively see if there is a pattern down your left side. You have an Attack Duty at AML and a wing back behind, who will move further up field than a standard full back. When the IF advances the wing back will try to support play and / or cover space to prevent attacks. A BWM can work well as herne79 has shown in his 4-4-2, but his had a different Duty to yours. Watch how effectively he covers space, and how advanced he gets when you have the ball.

In attack, check that the F9 and Shadow Striker complement each other, rather than compete for the same spaces. Up front, you have short passing inherent in the Mentality and then you add to that with Retain Possession and the Shorter Passing TI. How many chances do you actually create? Are you not scoring chances, or is it just that you aren't creating chances in the first place?

I use an advanced playmaker CM - should I be setting him to 'attack' or 'support' in most people's opinion? What are the main differences there, given that he's 'advanced' by definition I'd expect him to mostly attack either way. Which is best?

(as a bit of background I use a 4-3-3 with AML&AMR, and either three CMs or a CDM and two CMs depending on the match/team etc)

Would need far more detail, such as the Roles and Duties of the rest of the team, and an idea of what sort of play you expect from him. The in game descriptions of the Role / Duty give a clear indication of the different type of play to expect from an AP on Attack versus Support Duty.

Who is a better pk taker?

Player A PK - 20, composure - 15 and finishing 10.

Player B PK - 20, composure - 10 and finishing 15.

Or is there any other attribute to define a better a pk taker?

I'm always a bit pragmatic about this stuff. When you look at attributes and then someone says "but what about their body language at the time? What sort of game have they had so far?" it adds a whole layer of potential thinking that probably isn't efficient or provable. I'd go with the first one as I like a bit of composure.

OK. Defensively see if there is a pattern down your left side. You have an Attack Duty at AML and a wing back behind, who will move further up field than a standard full back. When the IF advances the wing back will try to support play and / or cover space to prevent attacks. A BWM can work well as herne79 has shown in his 4-4-2, but his had a different Duty to yours. Watch how effectively he covers space, and how advanced he gets when you have the ball.

In attack, check that the F9 and Shadow Striker complement each other, rather than compete for the same spaces. Up front, you have short passing inherent in the Mentality and then you add to that with Retain Possession and the Shorter Passing TI. How many chances do you actually create? Are you not scoring chances, or is it just that you aren't creating chances in the first place?

Okay, I will look for that. Thanks for the advice.

How important are coaches when it comes to player development?

I intend to give a lot of games to my prospects, and the club I'm currently managing has excellent facilities. But I don't like the idea of coming in, firing everyone, and just searching for 4-5* staff. It feels like a chore to do that every save. Of course, it's not big deal, but I'd rather avoid it if it doesn't have a big impact.

How important are coaches when it comes to player development?

I intend to give a lot of games to my prospects, and the club I'm currently managing has excellent facilities. But I don't like the idea of coming in, firing everyone, and just searching for 4-5* staff. It feels like a chore to do that every save. Of course, it's not big deal, but I'd rather avoid it if it doesn't have a big impact.

Play times frees us CA and then training distributes that CA. If the coaches are poor then that CA gets distributed poorly, slower and maybe in the attributes you didn't want. Of course coaches are important, be pointless if not no?

I have a stupid question;

Is there a difference in the way a DLP and a CM/D defend? I have always skated on the impression that a DLP relies on positioning while a CMD will actually tackle. Are my impressions correct? O_o

Also, I'm starting to blur the lines between a DLP and AP/S - going over some of the saves I have has kind of made me realise they both tend to sit in the same position on average, whether that's a quirk, or I should look at the DLP as a 'defensive-minded' playmaker and the AP as an 'offensive-minded playmaker who tracks back' is up in the air. - I guess the question is, does my description broadly cover the finer details of the two? I'm used to DLP's but certainly not AP's.

:)

If I want my team to press hard as a unit but don't want my defensive players trying something flash, am I right in thinking a fluid mentality with 'be more disciplined' selected with have the desired effect?

Or am I totally on the wrong page?

You see my dream style of play is press hard and high then quick one touch attacks, I'm happy with the TIs I have selected so far, but my problem is I'm always thinking 'can it be better'.

How important is the personality of the director of football when it comes to youth development?

I'm stuck between a model professional with very good attributes and a fairly determined dof with slightly better attributes.

How important is the personality of the director of football when it comes to youth development?

I'm stuck between a model professional with very good attributes and a fairly determined dof with slightly better attributes.

For me, very important. Having a good HoYD with either a resolute/professional/model professional personality is ideal as it has a chance to transfer to your youth intake, therefore increasing chances of development.

For me, very important. Having a good HoYD with either a resolute/professional/model professional personality is ideal as it has a chance to transfer to your youth intake, therefore increasing chances of development.

Thanks for replying but I mean a Dof not a HoYD

Can anyone explain, or point me to some thread or post, the "move into channels" instruction?

I have many doubts... for example, if i set my BBM with PI to "move into channels" what will he try to do? Try to move between the open space in the midfield?

Can anyone here explain to me how "Attempts to Develop Weaker Foot" training actually works?

It uses CA to (try to) improve his weaker foot to make it stronger.

Can anyone explain, or point me to some thread or post, the "move into channels" instruction?

I have many doubts... for example, if i set my BBM with PI to "move into channels" what will he try to do? Try to move between the open space in the midfield?

It's literally the space between fullback and centrebacks, that is what a channel is.

It uses CA to (try to) improve his weaker foot to make it stronger.

It's literally the space between fullback and centrebacks, that is what a channel is.

Ok.

But, i order to have a player to "move in channels" with sucess, there must be someone, near by, to make a through ball to him, right?

But in the midfield? Is it the same situation?

For example, having a player in the midfield, like a BBM, pair with a playmaker, to make through balls to him?

Ok.

But, i order to have a player to "move in channels" with sucess, there must be someone, near by, to make a through ball to him, right?

But in the midfield? Is it the same situation?

For example, having a player in the midfield, like a BBM, pair with a playmaker, to make through balls to him?

It's nothing to do with through-balls or anything, it's just his movement and the position he likes to pick up when he doesn't have the ball but your side does. It can be used to create space and drag his marker with him, it can be used to give the player more freedom, it can be used to give the player more space to play in etc. There are many different ways it can be used and the reasoning's behind them.

Ahh the regular "move into channels" question. The simplest definition is "a player moving laterally to either find space or draw a defender out of position".

There's more technical explanations but I think the game implementation of it isn't so complicated.

edit: doh didn't see a new page of responses