Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Work Ball Into Box reduces crossing tendencies for all players.

Thank you HUNT3R. I see now, If I can not tell player cross less often with PI, I can tell team work ball into box which is reduce shout also reduce crosses. That what I ask, thanks again.

Thank you HUNT3R. I see now, If I can not tell player cross less often with PI, I can tell team work ball into box which is reduce shout also reduce crosses. That what I ask, thanks again.

Just be aware that it also reduces shooting from range. Both are done to be able to work the ball into the box.

Just be aware that it also reduces shooting from range. Both are done to be able to work the ball into the box.

I will, thanks HUNT3R :)

Can somebody help me with tactic? You can see league table, I am in good position. I have best defense in the league, but I am bad in scoring goals.

01713781E2DDEDE56738524178A7F0AB9F1AAFEE

57820672979D567B1FCA6A878C382FF1621E1DD5

What would you change to be more dangerous in attack, but still be the best in defending? Thanks

Can somebody help me with tactic? You can see league table, I am in good position. I have best defense in the league, but I am bad in scoring goals.

The formation alone is never very efficient in problem solving. Stuff can look good on paper, but in the end it depends on your player, or on a certain PI or TI that does not fit. If you want help, you should give the experts here a bit more to chew on:

- Why are you not scoring goals? How does your team try to score, and what happens when they do?

- Do you watch some matches on full mode and look at how your team behaves, how they move, how the chances they create are started?

- How do you WANT them to score? What's your underlying plan?

- Who should score, who should support?

- Why did you choose the Team instructions that you chose? And the team shape?

From a first glance, you have quite a lot of instructions and some very specific settings (Counter & Highly structured). All of this might complicate things, because you give your team very clear orders how to play. Maybe by doing so you created a tactical approach that does hinder your team to score? The best can often be to start a rather blank tactic and add instructions as you go.

"Close down much more" is also, in my opinion a very specific instruction that can complicate things a lot. Your team can be drawn completely out of position, because everybody is chasing the opposition players around the pitch. Unfortunately, FM still does not simulate closing down as realistically and detailed, as it is, for example practiced in the Bundesliga (Gegenpressing, Angriffspressing, Mittelfeldpressing, flexibles Pressing, Pressingfallen, etc.).

Thank you for you response. I will think about it.

- I need more goals from my strikers. You can see that his average rating is 6.84, my second striker has rating 6.92. Other players has 7 and more.

- goal assists

- I would say that I need more chances per a game. My matches are quite boring - very little shots and chances.

- I choosed that formation because it is like 4231, but more solid. Players are always tracking back, so i like it.

team instructions:

- pass into space + higher tempo (because i want very fast counterattacks)

- play out of defence (for increase ball possesion)

- work ball into box (i just dont like shots from long distance)

- push higher up + close down much more + prevent short GK distribution (yes i want counterattacks but i want decrease my opponents ball possesion)

- play much narrower (i want very solid defence)

Just some quick remarks (I am a bit busy atm)

team instructions:

1.) pass into space + higher tempo (because i want very fast counterattacks)

2.) play out of defence (for increase ball possesion)

3.) work ball into box (i just dont like shots from long distance)

4.) push higher up + close down much more + prevent short GK distribution (yes i want counterattacks but i want decrease my opponents ball possesion)

5.) play much narrower (i want very solid defence)

1.) Please take a look at Cleon's fantastic "Art of Counter attacking" thread. You will see that you don't need any specific TI for counter attack movements, because the Match Engine is doing that automatically. By giving those two specific TI, your team will apply those whenever possible (not only during counter attack), so they will always try to play quick and pass into space. I can imagine this will lead to losing the ball a lot.

3.) You dont like shots from distance, and yet they might be the right tool in certain situations. Maybe one of the reasons you don't score is because your players always seek to dribble and short pass until they reach the box and are simply intercepted on the way, instead of trying to shoot from distance? I would at least watch a few games without this specific TI and see if your players are indeed shooting from distance a lot. Maybe they are not doing it anyway? Maybe they are actually quite good at it?

4.) If you push higher up, you reduce the chance the Match Engine will start a "counter attack" movement. Counters normally need space. Ypu have to drag the opponent out into your half to create that space. What you try to simulate here is less a "counter" and more something like the famous "Angriffspressing". Again, I direct you to Cleon's thread.

5.) The "play narrower" will mostly affect your attacking style. Your players will not spread out to the wings, but instead stay close to each other, probably resulting in more short passing and less players who offer themselves as recipients for a long, quick pass.

What I am trying to convey is: The Team Instructions look like a bunch of shiny, interesting features, but they are actually quite powerful tools who can break the whole engine easily, when applied. I sometimes have whole squads behaving differently, because I changed just one specific PI for one player. (And I partly blame the game for not explaining this fact more clearly).

edit:

BTW, by combining a "High structured" shape, which lets all players stick to their duties very rigidly and at the same time a lot of "attack" duties for your front line and "defend" duties for you defence, I imagine that your team will probably stretched out from goal to goal quite a bit. Maybe one of the problems is also that your forwards don't really connect with your supporting midfield? At the same time you are playing "much narrower", so I imagine a shape where players are very close horizontally, but very wide streched vertically. Is that also what you see when you watch your matches? (Because, as mentioned, it is always difficult to judge just from the paper).

Re: "Attempts to Develop Weaker Foot" Training

(I haven't found a satisfactory answer for this anywhere)

How does "Attempts to Develop Weaker Foot" training work?

I train my player with a "reasonable" left foot and a "very strong" right foot.

After a few months, I receive an email telling me that he is "far more comfortable using his weaker foot". However, his left foot is still rated "reasonable".

On the PPM list, "Attempts to Develop Weaker Foot" appears.

However...

After some time, the "Attempts to Develop Weaker Foot" disappears from the list of known PPM's.

His left foot is still rated "reasonable".

The option to train his weaker foot re-appears.

In FM15, I tried the in-game editor to see the exact "footedness" ratings, and despite repeatedly training many players on their weaker foot, the numerical rating did not go up or down. I'm assuming that this is not a bug and is working as intended.

How does this PPM work? Am I doing something wrong? For example, will it only work if I give the player enough playing time? Please, not the same speculation that I've seen on the lesser websites on FM. I'm stupid, and need and need exact and sure answers.

If there any actual benefit to putting WingBacks in the WBL/R positions instead of DL/R positions when playing with 3 centre backs?

Hello.

Does play out of defence also shortens passing length for DLP and Regista in DMC position?

Thanks.

Thank you for you response. I will think about it.

- I need more goals from my strikers. You can see that his average rating is 6.84, my second striker has rating 6.92. Other players has 7 and more.

- goal assists

- I would say that I need more chances per a game. My matches are quite boring - very little shots and chances.

- I choosed that formation because it is like 4231, but more solid. Players are always tracking back, so i like it.

team instructions:

- pass into space + higher tempo (because i want very fast counterattacks)

- play out of defence (for increase ball possesion)

- work ball into box (i just dont like shots from long distance)

- push higher up + close down much more + prevent short GK distribution (yes i want counterattacks but i want decrease my opponents ball possesion)

- play much narrower (i want very solid defence)

I'm no tactical genius but on point four of team instructions you contradict yourself. You want to play a counter style but then you also want to press high up the pitch? It looks as if you're not 100% sure how you want your team to play.

Countering is all about sitting back, keeping shape and allowing the opposition to have the ball so you can win it back with them high up the pitch and out of position. You can then exploit the space.

By pushing higher and closing down more you're pretty much reducing the chances of counters to zero.

If there any actual benefit to putting WingBacks in the WBL/R positions instead of DL/R positions when playing with 3 centre backs?

Yes. The wingbacks bomb forward to a point that both wingbacks are attacking instead of one. I used at three in the back system and and the wingbacks were already across the halfway line when I begin the play

Hello.

Does play out of defence also shortens passing length for DLP and Regista in DMC position?

Thanks.

Yes...

Everyone in the defense and the defensive mids will be encouraged to patiently play the ball out instead of hoofin it away

Yes. The wingbacks bomb forward to a point that both wingbacks are attacking instead of one. I used at three in the back system and and the wingbacks were already across the halfway line when I begin the play

I agree, I have a sweeper & 2 CB formation that I use sometimes with wingbacks, and they really get up the pitch well. Because of being wingbacks, I find that they do a passable job of defending in the midfield as well.

How can I get my players to play more passes sideways or backwards? I'm trying to play with possession and patience but my players tries to pass it forward way too much. I play on "counter" with "pass shorter" and "less risky passes" and there are usually simple passing options for the players.

It should be possible as the AI pass it around like crazy all the time getting 100+ passes for several players.

Yes...

Everyone in the defense and the defensive mids will be encouraged to patiently play the ball out instead of hoofin it away

Thanks a lot

Does the game play during a match look a bit different on those winter muddy pitches compared to a pitch in good weather (viewing in 2D - not classic).

How can I get my players to play more passes sideways or backwards? I'm trying to play with possession and patience but my players tries to pass it forward way too much. I play on "counter" with "pass shorter" and "less risky passes" and there are usually simple passing options for the players.

It should be possible as the AI pass it around like crazy all the time getting 100+ passes for several players.

You may wanna look at this thread, I guess it helped alot people;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/445500-The-Art-of-Possession-Football?p=10638027#post10638027

Hey Guys, in fm 16 we cant choose the intensity of the individual training. My Question is how should i setup my General Training? In previous Versions of fm, i went for low general Training and high individual Intensity to get high Workload.

Do your players have options near them that they can pass sideways to?

So I'm playing this system: http://i.imgur.com/4Pz553b.png

But we are not scoring as much as I would like, although I find that we are creating a lot. Most teams we face play defensive against us because we're predicted nr. 1. I would like my IF-A, Eilers, to score more goals, but I think he is playing too wide and rarely gets in goal scoring opportunities. So, what I'm wondering is, should I perhaps change the team shape from Highly structured to Fluid perhaps, to get more movement? I'm just a bit apprehensive to change something dramatic and ruin our good form in the middle of the season, that's why I'm asking for input.

Why not start a thread showing what you've tried? It's easier to respond to a thought process rather than a grumble.

Dude, ok then. Apologies. FM16 is brilliant.

Terrific :applause:

If you want help, please ask for it. If you're going to throw your toys out of the pram for nothing, please do that elsewhere.

But we are not scoring as much as I would like, although I find that we are creating a lot. Most teams we face play defensive against us because we're predicted nr. 1. I would like my IF-A, Eilers, to score more goals, but I think he is playing too wide and rarely gets in goal scoring opportunities. So, what I'm wondering is, should I perhaps change the team shape from Highly structured to Fluid perhaps, to get more movement? I'm just a bit apprehensive to change something dramatic and ruin our good form in the middle of the season, that's why I'm asking for input.

You might consider just tweaking the IF-A a little bit rather than making changes that would affect the whole team. If he's staying too wide, you could perhaps give him the "sit narrower" PI, or make him a raumdeuter. Or if you changed the WB on that side to attack, that might stretch the defense more and open up space for your IF (obviously that comes with some risk though).

As far as team shape, maybe make a smaller jump than going all the way from highly structured to fluid. You could start with structured, see if you notice a difference and if you like it, then try to go up another notch.

You might consider just tweaking the IF-A a little bit rather than making changes that would affect the whole team. If he's staying too wide, you could perhaps give him the "sit narrower" PI, or make him a raumdeuter. Or if you changed the WB on that side to attack, that might stretch the defense more and open up space for your IF (obviously that comes with some risk though).

As far as team shape, maybe make a smaller jump than going all the way from highly structured to fluid. You could start with structured, see if you notice a difference and if you like it, then try to go up another notch.

Yes, I will try telling him to play narrower. Not a big fan om the Raumdeuter, because I've never gotten that role to work. And besides, the Raumdeuter will stay more wider, which I don't want. I've tried with the wingback on attack, but I find that when he's on attack the whole team tends to play the ball to him and effectively making the tactic into a "crossing tactic". My main concern is mostly if the highly structured shape will make the IF more cautious and not try to move into dangerous areas. Because even with roaming as PI he's a bit stationary imo.

Does he has roaming on? If not, maybe you want to give it to him so he has more freedom to move around and make himself available.

I play two strikers and a guy in the AMC spot. How can I best set these guys up so they don't all get clogged up in the middle? I want the AMC to play through balls the other two guys can run on, or the three of them to create some nifty one-two's for someone to get a clear shot on goal. My initial setup was AP (s), DLF (s) and (AF), however they all tried to run towards the penalty spot and I had absolutely no width up front. Since then I have tried experimenting with AM (more risky passes, more direct, roaming) and replacing the DLF with a CF (s) and run into channels, however I am not seeing the behaviour I want from them.

What to do? Help?

I play two strikers and a guy in the AMC spot. How can I best set these guys up so they don't all get clogged up in the middle? I want the AMC to play through balls the other two guys can run on, or the three of them to create some nifty one-two's for someone to get a clear shot on goal. My initial setup was AP (s), DLF (s) and (AF), however they all tried to run towards the penalty spot and I had absolutely no width up front. Since then I have tried experimenting with AM (more risky passes, more direct, roaming) and replacing the DLF with a CF (s) and run into channels, however I am not seeing the behaviour I want from them.

What to do? Help?

Umm...you are playing with an AM and two strikers but you don't want them to clog up the middle?? What sense does that make? :?

If I set the general training on low, is the individual training more effective then ? If not what would be your suggestion for the general intensity?

I often see very fast players slowing down dramatically as soon as they receive the ball. Is there a specific attribute or preferred move related to this that can be trained? This dramatic slowness with the ball hinders fast strikers like Vardy to outrun slow defenders, as he seemingly does with ease in real life.

I often see very fast players slowing down dramatically as soon as they receive the ball. Is there a specific attribute or preferred move related to this that can be trained? This dramatic slowness with the ball hinders fast strikers like Vardy to outrun slow defenders, as he seemingly does with ease in real life.

I would say the three main attributes are:

Agility: If he needs to turn this will affect the speed of the turn.

First Touch: Controlling the ball.

Technique: Ability to do more complex moves to control it.

PPM of avoids using weaker foot (or just having a weaker foot) could affect how they can control the ball.

If the players role has "Hold Up Ball" they will tend to wait for support.

If I set the general training on low, is the individual training more effective then ? If not what would be your suggestion for the general intensity?

You want general on high ideally and on balanced (if you want to make the most of player development) to make general training effective.

I would say the three main attributes are:

Agility: If he needs to turn this will affect the speed of the turn.

First Touch: Controlling the ball.

Technique: Ability to do more complex moves to control it.

PPM of avoids using weaker foot (or just having a weaker foot) could affect how they can control the ball.

If the players role has "Hold Up Ball" they will tend to wait for support.

Thanks, seems logical. I guess the "hold up ball"-instruction could be my main culprit, but waiting for support when you are alone with the goalkeeper, and letting the defense regroup seems to be a trend here.

Cleon, that's for FM16, right?

I remember read that in FM15 you used general training on low and balanced, right?

Cleon, that's for FM16, right?

I remember read that in FM15 you used general training on low and balanced, right?

Yeah as you can no longer set an individual intensity level for players.

You want general on high ideally and on balanced (if you want to make the most of player development) to make general training effective.

This has confused me, I was always under the impression that the lower general training the more time spent on individual, which allows for better player development. If I change this general to high this increases the overall individual training workload to very heavy, which I can assume isn't a good thing leading to more injuries, no?

This has confused me, I was always under the impression that the lower general training the more time spent on individual, which allows for better player development. If I change this general to high this increases the overall individual training workload to very heavy, which I can assume isn't a good thing leading to more injuries, no?

No.

More heavy training isn't a bad thing and doesn't really increase the risk of injury. On FM15 and before it was better to keep it on low because you off set that with the individual intensity which mean more individual focus time. However on FM16 the workloads are now combined so you can't do that. Players who complain about heavy workloads are the unprofessional types anyway, so they don't really make the most of training to begin with. If you have any of these in your side then try tutoring them to give them better personalities.

Lower workloads the less effective training is because they're not really being pushed or using training to full effect.

Yeah as you can no longer set an individual intensity level for players.

That makes sense, thanks.

Thanks, seems logical. I guess the "hold up ball"-instruction could be my main culprit, but waiting for support when you are alone with the goalkeeper, and letting the defense regroup seems to be a trend here.

That sounds like Composure or an issue with his mental condition (ie. nervous).

What are the differences between AP S and IF S in the AMR position. And which one would be more suitable when AML is RMD and lone striker is F9. There is no AMC

What are the differences between AP S and IF S in the AMR position. And which one would be more suitable when AML is RMD and lone striker is F9. There is no AMC

You can tell by comparing their default PIs. The main difference is the AP has the Playmaker Focus whilst the IF does not. Suitability depends on more than just the striker and opposite side player; it's the system as a whole that matters.

Hmm I try to play possession game with a defensive midfield triangle with AP S and CM A with DM D behind them. Also the player in question to play in that position is Ozil or Chamberlain

Well ask yourself if you want Ozil / Chamberlain to be a focal point of the system or not. If you do want them to receive the ball more, then go for AP. However - make sure that the AP (S) in the MC line is on the opposite side (i.e. MCL) to avoid them "clustering" together.

You can tell by comparing their default PIs. The main difference is the AP has the Playmaker Focus whilst the IF does not. Suitability depends on more than just the striker and opposite side player; it's the system as a whole that matters.

Sorry I replied to you in the previous post but it didn't work as I am on my phone

Well ask yourself if you want Ozil / Chamberlain to be a focal point of the system or not. If you do want them to receive the ball more, then go for AP. However - make sure that the AP (S) in the MC line is on the opposite side (i.e. MCL) to avoid them "clustering" together.

Yeah the AP S is on the opposite side. I guess I'd rather the RMD be the focal point so IF is better?

Yeah the AP S is on the opposite side. I guess I'd rather the RMD be the focal point so IF is better?

Possibly, as the Raumdeuter should be close to the AP on that side, so should be an immediate passing target if he has space. As ever the only way to find out is to try it.

Possibly, as the Raumdeuter should be close to the AP on that side, so should be an immediate passing target if he has space. As ever the only way to find out is to try it.

While you are here. What do you think suits the Ramsey Wilshire midfield role wise. The aforementioned combination or do you have anything else in mind. Thanks

While you are here. What do you think suits the Ramsey Wilshire midfield role wise. The aforementioned combination or do you have anything else in mind. Thanks

If you want the Raumdeuter to be focal, then one of the two needs to be a Playmaker Role of some sort on that side. I'd probably go with Wilshere as AP (S) and Ramsey as BBM or CM (A). With Ramsey, you'd need to make sure that his path to goal isn't obscured by the AML/R player on his side.