The 'How Do I Pronounce That?' Thread sponsored by David Pleat

Oh yeah, almost forgot some names I have in my game and still don't know how to pronounce them:

Remy Beukers - Holland

Robin Mijnheer - Holland

Freek Busscher - Holland

Erjon Osmani - Germany/Albania (Osmani I think is Os-mah-nee, but Erjon I don't have a clue! Eh-rdj-on, maybe?)

Abdallah Yaisien - France/Egipt

I believe it's:

Reh-mee Beh-oh-kers

Roh-been Min-hehr

Frehk Buhs-hehr

Er-ee-on Os-mah-nee

Ya-ee-see-ahn (Abdallah it's easy to read)

At the non-Dutch names i'm 100% sure. At Dutch names, I believe I'm right but I'm waiting for a native to state that.

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that ß is pronounced like an 's', so Groskreutz (like in Kießling the German striker) so I'd say gros-kreuts

and I think it's like a cross between a 'uh' and a 'er' sound in Gotze so it's pronounced Gurtse

I haven,t trawled through the whole thread but has this fella had a mention yet.

16rirAalsteinsson.png

The "ó" sound in Icelandic is a combination of "o" (as in "goal") and "u" (as in "good") in one sound. All in all I suppose the "ow" combination as in "low" can be a decent enough approximation, at least while having to explain it written.

þ and ð sound like English "th" in "thin" and "that" respectively. Also, the "stein" part isn't pronounced (as expected) like in German, but the "ei" part is just "ay/ey" as in "lay" or "obey".

So the name is more or less "THOW-rir Ah-dhal-STAYN-son"

P.S. surely Icelander83 can be a more reliable source ;)

I believe that ß is pronounced like an 's', so Groskreutz (like in Kießling the German striker) so I'd say gros-kreuts

and I think it's like a cross between a 'uh' and a 'er' sound in Gotze so it's pronounced Gurtse

Quite right :thup:

Großkreutz IPA: [gʀoːskʀɔɪ̯ʦ]

http://translate.google.com/#de|de|Gro%C3%9Fkreuz

I chose Großkreuz on the translate tool because it is the same pronunciation as Großkreutz should be, but the Großkreutz-pronunciation of the translator is inaccurate.

Götze IPA: ˈ['gœʦə] the nearest œ-sound (ö) in English would be the ɜ (like the 'e' in 'German' but shorter). The 'e' is pronounced like in 'the'

http://translate.google.com/#de|de|G%C3%B6tze

IT may have already come up, but the young German CB, Benedikt Howedes? Is the surname pronounced How-eeds? OR something different.

Höwedes IPA [høː vɘdɘs]

Remember, 'ɘ' is the sound for the 'e' in 'the'.

Another example for a word with a øː -sound would be the German word schön or the french word milieu.

http://translate.google.com/#de|de|h%C3%B6%C3%B6wedes

I chose Hööwedes because when I tried Höwedes, the translator puts to much emphasis on the first e.

Hope that helps. If not, please ask :)

Höwedes IPA [høː vɘdɘs]

Remember, 'ɘ' is the sound for the 'e' in 'the'.

Another example for a word with a øː -sound would be the German word schön or the french word milieu.

http://translate.google.com/#de|de|h%C3%B6%C3%B6wedes

I chose Hööwedes because when I tried Höwedes, the translator puts to much emphasis on the first e.

Hope that helps. If not, please ask :)

I think I get it. Who-ved-es.

Oh yeah, almost forgot some names I have in my game and still don't know how to pronounce them:

Remy Beukers - Holland

Robin Mijnheer - Holland

Freek Busscher - Holland

Ray-mee Beu (eu as in french "bleu") - kers (with the e as in "the")

Robin (same as english name) Mijn (ij-sound is difficult to explain, éj or something, same pronounciation as Frank Rijkaard, although enlish tend to pronounce that wrongly) - heer (like the english "here").

Fr-ache (as in head-ache, but harder k) Bus (u as the ö in Rudi Völler) - sjer (like the singer Cher, but with the e like in "the")

Gross-kroyts

Gurt-zer

If you pronounce it English, you're right but if you try to pronounce it German I'd say Gros-kroyts (not gross, the o is long). Gurt-zer is also quite accurate, if you try to pronounce the r's as silent as possible.

Ray-mee Beu (eu as in french "bleu") - kers (with the e as in "the")

Robin (same as english name) Mijn (ij-sound is difficult to explain, éj or something, same pronounciation as Frank Rijkaard, although enlish tend to pronounce that wrongly) - heer (like the english "here").

Fr-ache (as in head-ache, but harder k) Bus (u as the ö in Rudi Völler) - sjer (like the singer Cher, but with the e like in "the")

Mijn pronounciation like mine.....mijn in dutch means my or mine, it's easy as Dutch is a mix between english and german.

Mijn pronounciation like mine.....mijn in dutch means my or mine, it's easy as Dutch is a mix between english and german.

No it's not like the english 'mine'. We dutchies would write that phonetically as 'maain'.

The ij-combination is very hard to explain (just as ei (same sound) ui and uy and uij (like in Cruijff or Kuyt are) as the sound isnt used in the foreign languages I can think of (english, german, french, spanish). I'm not familiar with phonetic symbols, so I tried to find a german or english wordt that has this sound in it, but couldnt find a single one. Other languages just dont use this sound, which makes it very hard to explain.

It does mean mine by the way, but doesnt sound like it. If you pronounce Rijkaard correctly you have it, but I doubt english do, they probably 'mine' it like you do. Reyecart is probably what you make of it.

So it's far from easy. Off topic: Dutch isnt some combination of english and german. Its a bit like german, although hearing is a different thing than speaking Koki ;-). I'm actually as surprised as you are that you could understand the dutch commentary. There are very similar words, but most of it seems quite different. Most dutch understand german and english, and its no problem watching german or english tv. I guess it has something to do with subtitles: we subtitle all movies and series (even german series like Derrick or Der Alte) while germans (and english) use voice-overs. So from the moment we can read we watch foreign series and movies (mostly english) and learn along the way. Its just "Oceans Twelve" in Holland, while it's probably "Ozeane Zwölf" in Germany?

If you pronounce it English, you're right but if you try to pronounce it German I'd say Gros-kroyts (not gross, the o is long). Gurt-zer is also quite accurate, if you try to pronounce the r's as silent as possible.

Yeah I'm going for an English phonetic translation :)

Off topic: Dutch isnt some combination of english and german. Its a bit like german, although hearing is a different thing than speaking Koki ;-)

It sure is. I couldn't speak a word Dutch. English, Dutch and German derive from the same language, that probably explains the similarities.

eg. mijn|mine|mein

german series like Derrick or Der Alte

OMG, I thought it was enough that WE have to watch them...

"Ozeane Zwölf" in Germany?

This made me giggle. Thank god they didn't translate that title! I think that Germans are somewhat uneasy about their language and translated things can easily sound strange (that's why I giggled). It's also the reason why many series/films keep the English title and a German subtitle is added (e.g. "Scrubs - Die Anfänger" ~ the beginners).

I think your observation about the subtitles is spot-on! Lucky you, I wish we would have more films shown in original language here.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually thought of a french word with the dutch "ij" sound and it was quite obvious really now that spring has arrived: soleil.

If you pronounce this like the french do, the last part is very much like the dutch ij-(or ei/ey) sound, although the j-sound at the end of soleil is probably a bit thicker due to the added l..

In french there's also wordls like 'vieille' that have the same sound.

So Robin Miijnheer is Robin Mijn(as in soleil)-here. And mijnheer (or the more commonly used meneer) is the dutch equivalent of sir/herr/monsieur/señor.

I'm playing in Malaysia at the moment, and I'm noticing an awful lot of players with "Mohd" or "Muhd" as part of their names. I know this is obviously the shortened Mohammed/Muhammed, but how do you pronounce it correctly in Malay?

I'm playing in Malaysia at the moment, and I'm noticing an awful lot of players with "Mohd" or "Muhd" as part of their names. I know this is obviously the shortened Mohammed/Muhammed, but how do you pronounce it correctly in Malay?

Mohammad/Muhammed - it's just an abbreviation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohd

In addition, some Malaysian-Indian names have s/o or d/o (son of, daughter of), or a/l or a/p (anak lelaki, son of; anak perempuan, daughter of), inheriting their father's name.

• 1 month later...

haha its funny how englishmens pronounce even own names

in my language u read what is writen and u write as u speak

if is writen line we read line not lajn as u speak

if u said lajn(line) we write like that lajn

understand?

im sorry for OT but its connected to theme

I always thought the curly B was more of a ss sound - So Fooss and Shoe-ssler. I only studied German to GCSE level mind.

it's their 'double s' iirc, so yeh, fooss and Schoss-ler

In the light of changes in broadcasting Chris Coleman should be the new sponsor of this thread, he is woeful with names

NAME - IPA - GOOGLE PRONOUNCIATION

Alexander Fuß - [aleksandə fu:s] - http://translate.google.com/#de|de|alexander%20fu%C3%9F

Christoph Schößler - [kristof ʃɜː:slə] - http://translate.google.com/#de|de|Christoph%20Sch%C3%B6sler

I can confirm that those are spot on. German "ö" by the way is a bit like the "u" in "burn" if that helps.

Actually the second ones "ö" is a bit shorter because of the "ß": http://translate.google.com/#de|de|Christoph%20Sch%C3%B6%C3%9Fler

I can confirm that those are spot on. German "ö" by the way is a bit like the "u" in "burn" if that helps.

Actually the second ones "ö" is a bit shorter because of the "ß": http://translate.google.com/#de|de|Christoph%20Sch%C3%B6%C3%9Fler

I actually thought that Schößler/Schösler would have a long ö because of the ß/single s. The ö would be short in Schössler. But anyway, that's splitting hairs and might also be down to regional aspects.

• 4 weeks later...
Parid Xhihani (Albanian)

par-eed Shi-hahn-ee?

Lounès Gaouaoui (Algerian)

Loon-eh Gw-ow-ee?

According to some sources I found (can't be sure they are correct though), it should be:

Parid Xhihani ~parid dzee-hanee. The accent should fall on the 'a' in the first name and the final 'i' in the last name.

The Algerian one is more complicated since you don't know in which language he pronounces his last name. The first one is pretty clearly French so it's /lu:'ne/. The last name could be either (imho) /ga.wa.'ui/ or /ga.wa.'wi/ with the accent on the last syllable.

Georgian youngster Nika Kvekveskiri

Neeka Vek-vesh-kiri...possibly. I'd imagine either the K or the v is silent.

If the v is silent then it'd be Kek-vesh-kiri...and that seems better.

Archived