Chelsea 2011/12 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd keep Turnbull as he's HG and I think he's improved, don't think we'd receive an amount that would make it worthwhile. Would rather Hilario go and promote Blackman as 3rd choice as it creates a non-HG place elsewhere. But Hilario has signed a new one year deal so I don't expect any movement in GK.

So your moves are basically:

OUT (7) - Bosingwa, Drogba, Kalou, Malouda, Benayoun, Meireles, Turnbull.

IN (6) - Hazard, Lavezzi, Modric, RB, Blackman, Kakuta

I'll ignore the sale of Bruma as he's not first team at the minute so it's not too relevant here. Also assume we'd promote Blackman in place of Turnbull.

I think our squad is already too small which is my main concern at this summer. If Kakuta is allowed to be a genuine replacement then fair enough but i'm sceptical. I'm not a fan of losing numbers. That's quite an ambitions set of signing too.

I think we're stuck between a rock and a hard place as we need to improve our quality (££££) but also our squad depth. And with that many outs I don't think it's possible. With a year left each i'd probably keep Malouda and Benayoun as real squad players. Think their sale value would be low.

I think it's really difficult.

In all fairness, anyone is an improvement on Malouda at the moment as the guy looks so ****ing disinterested and unmotivated that it's irritating me. We know how good he is, he just isn't putting any effort in. KDB would be put in the same position as Yossi or Malouda - ie. back up AMC for Mata and back up AML if Hazard came- and would get the starting appearances in CC games, FAC and (hopefully) lower CL opposition and could come in when Mata needs a rest or whatever.

I think it depends on our budget really because if we have 2 or 3 so-called 'big name signings' and have enough money to get good squad options in the forwards positions (ie. winger) and a RB (Van der Wiel if he's willing to be back up, but I think he's too good for that, as is Azpilicueta who's another viable option). I honestly dunno what's a realistic budget that we will have straight off. I'm also thinking that we could steer away from getting Modrić and get M'Vila or Javí Martinez at CM because both can do a box-to-box job which we've lacked since Essien ****ed up his knees. Both are also not your typical defensive minded midfielders in the sense that they are very good passers of the ball and are creative (M'Vila in particular, could be employed as a deep lying playmaker)

I'd try and keep Drogba and Bosingwa for 1 more year so we could spend all our transfer budget on top players instead of a backup striker/RB. Then replace those next summer when the first 11 is already really strong. So Malouda, Kalou, Ferriera, Meireles out and Modric, Hazard, Kakuta, Benayoun in. Think it's simple and works out well for this and next Summer.

Why are we letting Cech's and Sturridges contracts run so late before renewal?

I can only see Malouda, Benayoun and Kalou leaving and maybe Drogba. We really don't need much change if and only if we get the 3 replacements correct.

1) A midfielder/playmaker similar to Mata (can be winger)

2) A striker (can also be winger/forward if the first is proper mid)

3) Maybe a defender (DC/FB).

If you really think about it our team lacks the creativeness in the final third which can be provided by those first two players and suddenly we become a strong team. Realistically this is what is going to happen just as it happened last year (in terms of transfers). We can dream of major changes but it probably won't happen. The other players are decent rotation players and we have some good youths if it really comes to that.

Why are we letting Cech's and Sturridges contracts run so late before renewal?

I could actually understand the club not wanting to resign Cech if his demands are too high. They have gone and signed two young good keepers.

Yeah, but we got a one-goal advantage without giving them an away goal.

True but we were equal to them offensively in that game at least.

Is the consensus that FFP is bollocks and thus you'll spend what you want in the summer?

I doubt Man City would sell him to a rival, even though Mancini doesn't seem to start him very often, but it would be interesting to see Adam Johnson here. He seems to have a lot of the attributes we lack (pace, willingness to run people, reasonable goalscoring ability), has PL experience and would be another English player towards the required quota. We could offer Torres to City in a swap, ho ho. Him, Azpilicueta and Javi Martínez would be my ideal signings, were money not an issue. No Modric please, always found him overrated and he's looked dreadful in every game I've seen him in this year: Torres should be warning enough about the dangers of flashing huge money on reputation rather than form.

Pipe dream, but I'm still hoping we give youngsters a chance in squad roles next year, then use them. Last time we supposedly promoted lots of youth players, everything possible was done to avoid putting them in the team. While McEachran has been blocked off at Swansea, his league cup performances for us show he can perform against PL opposition, while Bertrand has looked positive in his appearances, and it would be interesting to gauge where Hutchinson is at, fitness and ability-wise, since his return. Probably too early for some of the FAYC standouts like Chalobah, Feruz and Swift to graduate proper, but giving them some League Cup appearances to test the water wouldn't be the worst. All our youth products now currently doing well in various leagues across Europe (Borini, Tore, Sinclair, Mancienne reportedly improving, while Jack Cork is in a league well below his talent) surely prove our reticence isn't doing anyone any favours, especially when the FFC rulings come into play, assuming we don't find some devious way of circumventing them.

As an aside, is it just me or has Gary Cahill looked really good since arriving, jitters in his first one or two matches notwithstanding? He's made some great interceptions and raised him game against difficult opponents, with Terry's guidance he certainly looks to me like a decent successor, even if his willingness to push forward a little could be a risk alongside David Luiz's similar tendencies.

Sturridge trying too hard to impress

Ruud Gullit was unimpressed. On Sky they were discussing Daniel Sturridge before Chelsea's game at Arsenal, when the forward's outrageous backheel goal against Sunderland in September was brought up. Most pundits might have cooed at such improvisation from a young English talent – and this column certainly did at the time – but Gullit was unmoved. "Why do you need to do that?" said the Dutchman, and he had a point; while Sturridge's goal was breathtaking, it did hint at his predilection for flashiness over efficiency.Gullit's criticism was vindicated by Sturridge's wayward, indulgent performance at the Emirates, in which Fernando Torres was regularly left exasperated by his team-mate's selfishness. This was a rare start for Sturridge under Roberto Di Matteo. He was a regular in André Villas-Boas's first-choice team and scored 10 goals in his first 19 games this season but Di Matteo does not rate Sturridge as highly as the Portuguese did. Di Matteo has been in charge for 14 games and Sturridge has been involved in only nine of them and has started six, scoring once.

Indeed he has been properly involved in only one big game since Villas-Boas's sacking, the victory over Napoli in the last 16 of the Champions League. Even then he was taken off after 63 minutes, at which point Chelsea were heading out on away goals. In the quarter-final against Benfica he played only the last eight minutes of the away leg and was an unused substitute in the home leg, as he was against Barcelona last Tuesday and against Tottenham in the FA Cup semi-final.While Sturridge would prefer to play through the middle, that is not going to happen while Didier Drogba and Fernando Torres remain at Chelsea, meaning he has been forced to make do with a role on the right. But in a position that demands defensive discipline as well as attacking prowess, much has been made of Sturridge's inability to track back, most notably in the 5-3 defeat by Arsenal in October, when he was responsible for André Santos's goal. The way Ramires pinned down Dani Alves and then pounced to set up Drogba's winner was a major part of Chelsea's win over Barcelona; Di Matteo could not trust Sturridge to perform a similar role against Adriano on the right.

Yet against Arsenal Sturridge's problem was not what he did without the ball but rather what he did with it. In the first half his second touch was often a tackle and a string of half-hearted crosses were dealt with comfortably by the home defence. Sturridge's frustration grew as the game went on and he increasingly looked like a player who was trying too hard, an attention-starved child doing cartwheels for an unappreciative parent. Nothing could have summed this up better than his attempt to emulate Dejan Stankovic and score with a volley from the halfway line, with Wojiech Szczesny momentarily out of his goal. Suffice to say, hearts were not in Arsenal mouths.

Sturridge in a nutshell really

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/choice-of-champions-league-secondleg-referee-for-chelsea-semifinal-revives-bara-bias-claim-7669029.html

Erzik Senes, vice-president of Uefa's referees committee, picked fellow Turk Cuneyt Cakir to referee Chelsea's second leg tomorrow night.Erzik is a former Unicef employee ... Unicef ... Barca. Just saying, like.

I'd imagine that even the slightest tackle will get a booking in this 2nd leg and Drogba will be left to roll around and not get any fouls ... gonna be fun ;)

Missed out on an FA cup ticket. I forgot to check this morning to see if they even got to go on sale to members but I don't think they did and even then I wouldn't have had the points. Rolfe/bridgekings etc, other than Chelses viagogo is there any other website/forum etc where people might sell tickets for the games. Ideally I would like someone with higher loyalty points than me to get me a ticket and then I give them the money but this would encounter problems such as people trusting someone over the internet. Obviously I would pay and wouldn't do them over but there is no way they can really know that.

Johnson's ****. Solely a MOTD player and the only reason he might start for us is the fact that we lack a winger, nothing to do with his overall quality.

Calling him **** is just being silly. There are certainly some deficiencies to his game, like dodgy decision making and not tracking back, but while I'm not going to pretend to have seen him on a regular basis, what I have seen shows he has plenty of skill and can liven up a game when on his game. He may not be David Silva, but he's certainly vastly better than the alternatives on the wing we've got right now. I'd be happy for the club to pay around £10m-12m for him, possibly a bit higher in the inflated market.

The worst thing about the ref is his inexperience. This will definitely be the biggest match of his career and I am fearing that he'll be overwhelmed by the occasion and succumb to the crowd and Barca's players :(

Hmm...

just seen this gem on sickipedia "Chelsea confirm they will lodge an appeal to UEFA about the red card they will receive in Wednesday's match against Barcelona" :D

And here it comes... :thdn:

I'm so bloody pumped up for the game. Think I'm gonna go mad by tonight with this rate.

There is nothing I would like more than a controversial and extremely ugly game where we go through. Kind of a game that will make them turn on their pitch sprinklers again.

It's difficult to see certain aspects of the game when you've never played, which is where you're coming from. I feel for you.

What a pathetic mess of a post :D

Bridcutt was Brighton's player of the year this season. Will be surprised if he stays there considering there was already reputed Premiership interest in January. He might do though, keeping the likes of Bridcutt, Vicente, Buckley and CMS with a few additions means they will be among the favourites for promotion at least.

Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo has urged five of his players walking a suspension tightrope not to worry about the possibility of receiving bookings against Barcelona that would rule them out of the Champions League final.

Will it have any effect on those players? Worrying about missing the final? Hope they don't...

I seem to remember hearing something a while ago about them looking to change the rules so players wouldn't miss the final due to accumulation of yellows? They do a card amnesty at the end of the group stage iirc and I seem to remember there was talk of introducing one at this stage too.

I seem to remember hearing something a while ago about them looking to change the rules so players wouldn't miss the final due to accumulation of yellows? They do a card amnesty at the end of the group stage iirc and I seem to remember there was talk of introducing one at this stage too.

Ya i used to think they made the rule to allow it for the final but guess not :S

Will it have any effect on those players? Worrying about missing the final? Hope they don't...

I can't see how it will. There's no way they can do anything about their yellow cards now, so I would hope they go out there and do all they can. You have to worry about what's in front of you, especially when it's ****ing Barcelona. Away.

One one hand, I'm up early (3:30am) and excited to watch this and on the other I'm dreading it.

Why do I have a bad feeling in my gut? It's not the cereal..

I can't help but feel there will be some sort of controversy. I really hope there isn't but I have the same feeling in my gut that it will come down to a dodgy call. Would rather get played off the park then have to put up with another elimination like that.

I can't help but feel there will be some sort of controversy. I really hope there isn't but I have the same feeling in my gut that it will come down to a dodgy call. Would rather get played off the park then have to put up with another elimination like that.

I get the feeling the crowd and players pressure will be too much for the ref there. I stopped watching football for almost an entire year because of 2009, if something similar happens today.. I don't know what I'lll do.

Archived