The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, Bolton are big trouble so will have to offload a lot of players. QPR could afford to offload a lot and still have a great Championship team, look at how many strikers and centre backs they have.

1987 :mad:

QPR would have been ok with their rich owner.. would have been like having another Leicester in the League.

Haven't Bolton got alot of players out of contract this summer?

Really looking forward to next season, there is some strong teams in the League next year.

Wolves should do well, with Coyle's fluid attacking style, he should do well in the Championship once again. (If Venky's keep Kean, I can see them being down in the bottom half tbh)

Leicester will should be a threat if they splash the cash again, Cardiff and Ipswich are never shy about spending money, and we could also have West Ham here next season still.

Then other teams like Brighton who will want to improve on last season, and a couple of big teams coming up in Charlton and Sheff Wed. (Hopefully Huddersfield too)

I can't wait for next season's Championship. :)

Posted this on 2/elsewhere:

We have Knight, Jussi, Klasnic, Robinson, Steinsson, K Davies, Gardner, Sean Davis, Sam Ricketts, Blake and Petrov out of contract, all of whom are on a hefty wage, the wrong side of 30 and most aren't even playing.

Give K Davies and Ricketts new contracts and f*ck the rest off tbqh.

If we can avoid selling more than 3 of our 'sellable assets' - ie. M Davies, Reo-Coker, Lee Chung Yong, Holden, Ngog, Bogdan and Eagles, we should be alright.

That would lead to a starting XI next year:

Bogdan; Ricketts/Alonso, Ream, ????, Riley/Mears; Holden, Wylde, Pratley/Vela, Eagles; Ngog/SKD, Sordell

That's with NRC, LCY and M Davies going.

UPDATE:

SKD has penned a new contract

QPR would have been ok with their rich owner.. would have been like having another Leicester in the League.

Haven't Bolton got alot of players out of contract this summer?

Really looking forward to next season, there is some strong teams in the League next year.

Wolves should do well, with Coyle's fluid attacking style, he should do well in the Championship once again. (If Venky's keep Kean, I can see them being down in the bottom half tbh)

Leicester will should be a threat if they splash the cash again, Cardiff and Ipswich are never shy about spending money, and we could also have West Ham here next season still.

Then other teams like Brighton who will want to improve on last season, and a couple of big teams coming up in Charlton and Sheff Wed. (Hopefully Huddersfield too)

I can't wait for next season's Championship. :)

AHEM :mad:

Just looking at who the favourites with the bookies are to go up and teams like Cardiff and Hull who were consistently a threat this year, and have no reason not to be next year, are nowhere near.. If West Ham go up, it really is anyones for the taking and I really can't wait.

Just looking at who the favourites with the bookies are to go up and teams like Cardiff and Hull who were consistently a threat this year, and have no reason not to be next year, are nowhere near.. If West Ham go up, it really is anyones for the taking and I really can't wait.

Leicester 8/1, Leeds 9/1, Birmingham/Bolton/Wolves 10/1, Brighton/Blackburn 12/1, Cardiff/Sheff Weds/Charlton 16/1

Posted this on 2/elsewhere:

We have Knight, Jussi, Klasnic, Robinson, Steinsson, K Davies, Gardner, Sean Davis, Sam Ricketts, Blake and Petrov out of contract, all of whom are on a hefty wage, the wrong side of 30 and most aren't even playing.

Give K Davies and Ricketts new contracts and f*ck the rest off tbqh.

If we can avoid selling more than 3 of our 'sellable assets' - ie. M Davies, Reo-Coker, Lee Chung Yong, Holden, Ngog, Bogdan and Eagles, we should be alright.

That would lead to a starting XI next year:

Bogdan; Ricketts/Alonso, Ream, ????, Riley/Mears; Holden, Wylde, Pratley/Vela, Eagles; Ngog/SKD, Sordell

That's with NRC, LCY and M Davies going.

UPDATE:

SKD has penned a new contract

Wait, you want Steinsson out? But he's so good at... err... ehm... Divorcing? Nope, not even good at that ffs :D

Ah, Cardiff have jumped a bit then. Why are Leeds so high?

Warnock in charge, with his record you have to give us a chance. Plus a lot of people would be putting on Leeds if they were outsiders and bookies don't wanna risk losing money. I'll see what we do this summer, but I'm fairly optimistic for next year.

Despite shedding players Bolton will still have a core and players who have played at this level as well in Eagles (who has always been stand out at this level), Sordell (who did well for watford at the level) Pratley (again done it at this level) A reasonable GK with good players about them. Even NGog will i suspect do alright at this level.

You compare that to say Blackburn who have dropped and they dont have solid players backing up the stars that are leaving. Yakubu i cant see staying, they will end up with Goodwillie up front and im not sure he will make much of an impact.

QPR yeah i forgot they still had players like Hulse, DJ Campbell, they probably would have fallen back onto these, Jay Boothroyd, gabbidon etc etc

I didn't forget you tbh, or Middlesbrough, or Leeds, or Forest, or Derby, or Hull, or Burnley ;) etc.

So many big/strong teams next season, that's why I can't wait.. along with the usual dark horses, it will be anybody's ball game.

Hopefully we will have brought in some more players to suit Howe's total football system, and we can enjoy some lovely football against these teams at the Turf.

Apparently we've had a £1.2 million offer rejected for Jason Shackell according to Nigel Clough.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11708/7755660/Clough-rejects-Shackell-bid

Strange one that, we backed out of signing Shackell from Barnsley last season, when they were looking for a fee of around £1 million.. Howe said he wasn't prepared to pay that much.

I was slightly suprised to see it was you supposedly after him. I'll be very suprised if we sell him for anything near £1.2m. He was excellent last season, he's got plenty of time on his contract and we don't need to sell.

Eddie Howe was very much after him last summer, and Shackell was his number 1 centre back target on his list. But you came in with a bigger offer than what we were prepared to pay.

So he turned his attentions to Stoke's Ryan Shotton, and we ended up missing out on him aswell.

Look's like he's gone back in pursuit of his first choice from last season. (maybe we are going to splash some of our parachute payments at last.. or use some money from the inevitable Rodriguez sale)

Do Debry have money problems? I read something about Clough may need to bring costs down at Derby this season, not sure if that's true or just a rumour?

It's nonsense. We're basically compliant with the full Financial Fair Play rules already and running at break-even, so we don't need to cut anything. We don't have masses of cash to spend on transfers though, so if we do sell him it will be to reinvest in the squad (which is why we'd be wanting more than £1.2m as we'd barely be able to replace him with that).

It's nonsense. We're basically compliant with the full Financial Fair Play rules already and running at break-even, so we don't need to cut anything. We don't have masses of cash to spend on transfers though, so if we do sell him it will be to reinvest in the squad (which is why we'd be wanting more than £1.2m as we'd barely be able to replace him with that).

That's fair enough. (I didn't think Derby would have money problems)

Yeah, I don't blame Clough, especially if he had a excellent season for you last season.

Would be daft to accept a average offer, when you would need to invest money on players who are better/just as good.

I like this though, last season Eddie Howe tried to play everything cool (he wouldn't be forced into high offers, and bided his time in trying to get lower offers) and we ended up with very few players coming in, compared to going out.

Howe has said he won't be wasting anytime this season, and he will look to get deals done early. (unlike his 'I won't be rushed' approach last season) Look's like he's going to be true to his word.

I wouldn't expect us to be back in for him if that bid was rejected. I was surprised to see us making such a high bid in the first place, tbh.

Same here, I can't see us being prepared to go much if any higher.

I think Howe would be for younger players. (which are the sort of players he's said he's still vey much after. But he said he wants to add a bit more experience back into the team this season aswell)

I think a bit of experience is desperately needed in that squad. I realise he wants to keep the age of the squad down, but I'm not suggesting he goes around trying to tempt players out of retirement or anything. A couple of lads in their mid to late twenties who know the league would be good for us, imo.

i really don't think mccleary is good enough for the premiership and i reckon mcgugan has better potential.

still, fair play to him. this comment may come back to bite me.

Like **** are we friendly :D

The Bristol derby is as fierce any other when the teams are close imo.

I thought it was a bit odd, surely it's going to cause of alot of hassle in terms of policing?

Oh and I'm hearing Joel Ward to Leeds for 450k!

Why thank you for your charity, so that's 950k for Pearce and we throw in Ward for free and get around the Bournemouth sell on fee ;)

Our scout is our manager :( He never replaced himself after becoming manager :D

Can find quotes where he states he was still doing all the scouting as well. Not that it was worth doing considering we couldn't sign anyone :(

Archived