The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on 30k a week, id be amazed if you could find m/any takers and shorey, especially now hes over 30, wouldnt be a massive upgrade and if he learns konchesky is on 30k ( which i imagine wouldnt be hard for his agent to find out ) hed want to be on at least equal that, if not more :D

Judging from that and other posts, I'm guessing it's a good thing we've missed out on signing him? :D

Been seeing rumours of a take over in the past couple of days. I'm 100% convinced they're bollocks, unfortunately :(

really hope we spend a good wedge on a good champ centre forward and winger. we'll be right up there next season if we can do that and add a couple of competitive players to boost the squad depth.

someone like matty fryatt or charlie austin

oh and get rossco back <3

just noticed that about 10 games are easy to get to for me next season from sunderland.

Leeds, Huddersfield, Blackpool, Sheff Wed, Burnley, Barnsley, Bolton, Blackburn, Middlesbrough and Hull.

A 2 hour mega bus to Lees leaves me about an hour tops away on the train from most of the northern ones. Boro is direct. happy days :)

few new grounds in there as well thank god, 9 seasons in the champ can make things a bit dull stadium wise

• SI Staff
Palace reckon he will play prem. Only way that will happen is if develops outstanding cricket ability and gets auctioned in India
Sold Joel Ward to Crystal Palace for £400k. :D

Unlucky Palace!

Can't say that these quotes are filling me with confidence. :p I don't really know much about him to be honest, what's his natural position?

“He’s got a lot of attributes. He’s physically strong, he’s quick and can play in a number of different positions."

Is what Appleton said in the article about him leaving on our official site, I wouldn't say he's particularly quick or strong but he's neither slow or weak. He's a jack of all trades that works really hard and I'm honestly shocked that he's been so in demand.

• SI Staff

I'm guessing that we're looking to play him primarily as a right-back for when Nathaniel Clyne leaves. Don't think he'd get ahead of our centre-backs and 400k would be a lot of money for us to spend on a "squad player". Fingers crossed he'll have a "Jagielka-resque revelation" and find out that that's his best position. :p

Lancashire Telegraph reporting that we've accepted an offer around £7 million from Southampton for Jay Rodriguez, also being reported in the Southampton press.

Reading the paper's this morning, and it look's like this one is true. First offer we have accepted for Rodriguez, after rejecting two offers from Fulham and Cardiff in recent times (£5million and £5.5 million)

Also saying that if Rodriguez agree's terms with Southampton, then Chaplow can go the other way and re-join Burnley if he wishes. But if Rodriguez says no, then Chaplow won't be going.

Not sure if that means he is or isn't part of the deal. I think it may be some sort of Gentlemen's agreement. If Rodriguez joins Southampton, then they are willing to let Chaplow speak to us..

(In the Southampton press it's being reported has a £6.5 million offer that's been accepted. In our press they are reporting it has a £7 million offer that's been accepted? Unless Chaplow is part of the deal, and Southampton value him at £500k. But there is nothing in any of the official stories about Chaplow being part of the deal, it's just being reported that he will be allowed to speak to Burnley if Rodriguez signs)

Reading the paper's this morning, and it look's like this one is true. First offer we have accepted for Rodriguez, after rejecting two offers from Fulham and Cardiff in recent times (£5million and £5.5 million)

Also saying that if Rodriguez agree's terms with Southampton, then Chaplow can go the other way and re-join Burnley if he wishes. But if Rodriguez says no, then Chaplow won't be going.

Not sure if that means he is or isn't part of the deal. I think it may be some sort of Gentlemen's agreement. If Rodriguez joins Southampton, then they are willing to let Chaplow speak to us..

(In the Southampton press it's being reported has a £6.5 million offer that's been accepted. In our press they are reporting it has a £7 million offer that's been accepted? Unless Chaplow is part of the deal, and Southampton value him at £500k. But there is nothing in any of the official stories about Chaplow being part of the deal, it's just being reported that he will be allowed to speak to Burnley if Rodriguez signs)

Chaplow this morning on Twitter...

Richard chaplow ‏@Rchap04

Morning,a lot of RUMOURS flying around on my future,I am still a saints player and it's somewhere I want to stay 4 a long time! #saintsfc

Surely he's not worth half of that price? I know that's rich coming from a Leicester fan, but still :D
After Matt Mills you aren't allowed to comment :D
Fair enough :D

At least if Jay Rodriguez signs for £7m, Rory Delap will no longer be the club's record signing at £4m. Delap didn't even do long throws for Saints in the same way he does for Stoke.

£7m may on the face of it seem a lot, but Rodriguez is 22 years old, English, an under 21 international, voted in the 2011/12 PFA Championship team of the year and was one of the top scorers this season in the Championship. £5m to £8m is probably the market rate for such a player.

"Jay Rodriguez" is currently trending worldwide on Twitter! Saints hit the big time. ;)

Surely he's not worth half of that price? I know that's rich coming from a Leicester fan, but still

In todays market, then yeah-maybe.

Over inflated prices and all that, which I'm sure Leicester know all about. ;)

I'd be interested to see if he can make the step up, Rodriguez is a good all round player. But his finishing at times is not the greatest, plenty of times I've seen him mess up when one on one or with a really good chance when he has time to think about it (ever since he was younger).

I'm not saying that because he's leaving now, but I've always thought finishing/ or being in the right place to get goals like Rhodes and Phillips doesn't come natural to Rodriguez. But he's a better all round player than those.

Chaplow this morning on Twitter...

Richard chaplow ‏@Rchap04

Morning,a lot of RUMOURS flying around on my future,I am still a saints player and it's somewhere I want to stay 4 a long time! #saintsfc

Alan Nixon reported it, and that sly tw@t is usually right when reporting stuff about Burnley and Bolton! Many times he has p!ssed the Burnley board off, by reporting stuff which they did not want to announce yet or want other people knowing about. :D

He did say "If Rodriguez says yes, then Chaplow can go other way if he wants. If Rodriguez says no, Chaplow won't go."

So it's not that he would be joining us, but that he can go if he wants.. look's like he won't want to then. (although, if he was not to be in the first team plans at the Saints. A move back to Burnley should tempt him. Back to his home town of Accrington and his boyhood team of Burnley.)

Yeah because he knows it's his only chance of playing in the premier league :D

:D

He did get a few games in the Premier League when West Brom signed him from us.

Earlsdon, which is one of the poshest area's in the city :D xsmug (not saying much mind)

You joking about Hillfields I presume? :D Bloody horrid area, wouldn't wish it on anybody.

How long you been at Cov Uni then?

Another 2 years of Cov for you then. Unlucky :(

You planning on moving into a house next year then (presuming you're in halls atm)? If so Earlsdon is where you need to be at :cool: though it is mostly full of the Warwick Uni mob.

Tell you what, it's quite nice to be on the side that benefits from an inflated transfer fee for a change. Just sat here laughing at all the moaning that's going on about the Jay Rod transfer fee on twitter. :D

Oh yes, it is nice! I bet Stoke were laughing when we spent nearly £2 million on the 30 year old Leon Cort. What a total waste of money that was (big wages too) and money to terminate his contract early. But that's what you get from somebody like Brian Laws.

Abit of an expensive gamble from Southampton, on a player who has never played in the Premier League before, and for the first few months of last season during his really poor spell, looked more like a League One player. :D Mind you, money is no problem to Southampton.

Sorry to see him go, but for that sort of money, it would be rude not to.. and only 1 year left on his contract.

Same price Fletcher went to Wolves, and I thought Fletcher was a much better player at the time we sold him, than what Rodriguez is at the moment. (But Jay is young enough to get as good or better) Plus Fletcher had proven the season before he could more than hold his own in the Premier League, and score goals in that League.

I wish Rodriguez all the best and hope it works out for him, be nice to see a local lad doing well in the Premier League. :)

And if not, we have still got our money from the deal. :D

Archived