The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorted my house for next year, it's a street off Holyhead Road. Spon End maybe? Can't remember. Getting closer to you Earlsdon snobs anyway ;)

Up near where my cousins live. Will tell them to pop round and visit you. ;)

Have Southampton given up on Gary Hooper? Or are they still hoping to sign him aswell?

They won't sign both, for a start it would cost a fortune to get Hooper and Rodriguez, with Tadanari Lee, Rickie Lambert, Guly do Prado, Steve De Ridder and Billy Sharp already at the club they don't need two more, one will do. I think Hooper is the first choice target but they are now moving onto Rodriguez as Celtic want too much.

Going to be hard to fit 4 strikers into a 451 formation as nearly every away game thats what you have to play

"Nearly every away game", what makes you think that? Really doesn't seem Adkins style to play like that too often away from home, let alone against those in the bottom half of the Premier League. I remember your "predictions" from last summer saying Lambert and Lallana won't make the step up to being top Championship players (let alone the rest of the squad), how did that prediction turn out? ;)

If they'd have kept recording about 5/10 minutes longer, they'd have seen an unstoppable header from Rodriguez.. his 2nd of the night. :cool:

In fairness to Jay Rod, he still stepped up to take penatlies against Millwall and Palace after that miss, and scored them both.

Edit:

[video=youtube;_mhCdalfZ_c]

Trippier with 2 great assists (lovely skill for the first, typical of the lad) I really hope we don't sell Trippier.

He won't have to deal with a poor City Ground playing surface next season and don't worry we have Lambert for penalties. ;)

city ground surface is never poor nowadays, our team may be ****, but the surface is second to none :mad:

really hope we spend a good wedge on a good champ centre forward and winger. we'll be right up there next season if we can do that and add a couple of competitive players to boost the squad depth.

someone like matty fryatt or charlie austin

oh and get rossco back <3

Doubt Fryatt will leave now, unless it's a big fee.

just noticed that about 10 games are easy to get to for me next season from sunderland.

Leeds, Huddersfield, Blackpool, Sheff Wed, Burnley, Barnsley, Bolton, Blackburn, Middlesbrough and Hull.

A 2 hour mega bus to Lees leaves me about an hour tops away on the train from most of the northern ones. Boro is direct. happy days :)

few new grounds in there as well thank god, 9 seasons in the champ can make things a bit dull stadium wise

Hull's easy enough to get to from here too, normally train from Newc to York, then York to Hull. Depending when it is, might look at travelling down with ya for the game.

So is this J-Rod deal £7m (-ish) guaranteed or worth that if he plays x number of games and scores y number of goals etc? Very good price for Burnley at £7m, especially if they can invest it well, but puts pressure on him to start well after how good Lambert and Sharp were this season and a lot for a newly promoted club to spend on one player so could go either way for Soton, good buy or big flop.

Hope we attempt to get Sharp, exactly what we need, Soton might want to sell for the amount they got him for.

Why would they sell Sharp, especially as Connolly has been released this summer freeing up a striker position? You need a squad of players - Sharp, Lambert, Tadanari Lee and (it seems) Rodriguez will be the 4 main strikers in a squad of 25 over 21 players. Beyond that Guly Do Prado, Lallana and De Ridder can play upfront if needed.

In any case, if Sharp were to be sold it wouldn't be for the £1.8m he was signed for. That was a min fee release clause, not his market value. Last summer Saints had a bid of £3.2m for Sharp (before his min fee release clause kicked in, in Jan 2012) and since then he was the Championship's 3rd top scorer last season with 19 league goals.

Just brought in Scott Malone from Bournemouth for £250k plus mcquoid.

Chris Taylor is still stalling on a deal but we only offered him a one year deal apparently which is ridiculous. We obviously don't want to gamble after giving long contracts to mcquoid, n'guessan and racon that didn't work out

Richard Keogh 25 - Our POTY and a incredibly consistent performer. Signed him as RB and he played there for 3/4 of last season but he's really come into his own at CB and consistently performs every game. Incredibly cult player with his ridiculous diving, frequent runs up the pitch (with the ball) and never say die attitude. Only missed 1 league game in 2 seasons and was a red card against Donny from playing every minute of every league game for us. Good championship defender but probably couldn't make the step up to the prem, would be a rock in League 1 but will probably be sold to another championship club.

Sounds good, handy to have further centre back options and a right back to compete with Super Kev, could signal the end of Darcy's time and almost certainly Gerrard's spell. If we make a bid think he's ours with his former team-mates here, Gunnar and his gal are really close apparently, feel for Coventry though.

Cardiff now the latest to be linked to Keogh. Hopefully we can get a bidding war going for him.

From two days ago Bluebirds. Bristol City have already had a bid rejected and Ipswich are also interested, so he certainly seems to be in demand.

Also just to clarify in case you weren't sure, played RB 3/4 of his first season at the club and played as a cb for the remaining 1 and 1/4 seasons. His bombing runs at RB are awesome but his actual crossing/final ball is non existent and I personally think he's much better as a CB. Solid and cult at RB, god damn awesome and still cult at CB.

I also have seriously never seen a defender in the championship who dives more than him :D Yet he always seems to get away with it.

Yeah he has no technical ability really but he'll happily somehow dribble around about 5 players before making a **** cross/pass :D Is exactly the same at CB as well, would really help open things up only to make a stupid dive and take a free-kick rather than just play one of our strikers in :D

But that's why he's so cult :cool:

From two days ago Bluebirds. Bristol City have already had a bid rejected and Ipswich are also interested, so he certainly seems to be in demand.

Also just to clarify in case you weren't sure, played RB 3/4 of his first season at the club and played as a cb for the remaining 1 and 1/4 seasons. His bombing runs at RB are awesome but his actual crossing/final ball is non existent and I personally think he's much better as a CB. Solid and cult at RB, god damn awesome and still cult at CB.

I also have seriously never seen a defender in the championship who dives more than him :D Yet he always seems to get away with it.

Yep, knew we were linked with him but what tends to happen is we are linked/interested but the Echo have now said that your director has confirmed a bid for something, some confirmation at last! If it's any consolation I see Platt has left, fancy Parkin? :(

It's not a consolation! Leaves us with only 1 striker and a transfer embargo that wont be lifted until at least August probably. Guy actually turned down our contract (where he would have been first choice) to join a League 2 club ffs :confused: The utter humiliation :(

As I said we're in a transfer embargo so we can't sign anyone. We aren't Pompey :mad:

Could realistically be looking at a squad of about 10 players by the time the seasons starts

As I said we're in a transfer embargo so we can't sign anyone. We aren't Pompey :mad:

Could realistically be looking at a squad of about 10 players by the time the seasons starts

So you can't even get freebies?, you probably will have a squad that thin then, didn't even realise the embargo, that's just mean :(

Coventry City can sign players using the same Football League rule Pompey used. Even when under a transfer embargo, if a team's senior squad size falls below a certain number (I forget the exact number), then it can sign players.

14 senior pros isn't it? Unfortunately for Cov, they've played youngsters who weren't quite ready for Championship Football.

Yep, where as Pompey released lots of 18/19 years olds and refused to play others so they didn't count as having senior experience whilst in admin and then loaned in better players. Coventry simply not as good at manipulating the rules! Too honest for their own good!

How many players with 1st team appearances do you currently have G-Man11?

Local reporter has said talks with the new manager are in advanced stages, and hopeful of being done by the end of the week. Also confirms it won't be Steve Bruce, as confirmed by a source close to Bruce. I'd be thinking it'll be Clark now.

Paul Quinn's available on a free :D

Pre-season's also confirmed as Forest Green, Cheltenham, Oxford, Bournemouth away and Newcastle home, will be trying to get to all :D

Forest Green do the best Curry Sauce and Chips in the world, a must try.

Having obscenely rich buggers is not all its cracked up to be. You soon see your debt rising to insurmountable levels and realising it's just a matter of time before you go bust (again).

Yep, where as Pompey released lots of 18/19 years olds and refused to play others so they didn't count as having senior experience whilst in admin and then loaned in better players. Coventry simply not as good at manipulating the rules! Too honest for their own good!

How many players with 1st team appearances do you currently have G-Man11?

Joe Henderson 1 app 11/12

Will Roberts 1 app 11/12

Jordan Willis 3 apps 11/12

Josh Ruffels 1 app 11/12

Shaun Jeffers 6 apps since 09/10

Callum Wilson 1 app in 10/11

Plus our senior players and 'better' youngsters. That's 4/5 better youngsters and 13/14 senior players as it stands but we're still likely to see quite a few leave. If the rule is indeed 16 we basically have to get down to a squad of 10 due to those players above or release some of them. That's also not including more youngsters who have contracts/squad numbers but have yet to play for the first team. Really were not helped by playing all those guys against you on the last day :D

That said the way our academy has been going in recent seasons it's not that unlikely that a couple of those players step up into the first team next season and do a pretty decent job.

Why is there still a delay with Coventry's accounts?

We still haven't paid the rent for the Ricoh and are in negotiations with the Higgs Trust who want to sell their share (50%). Until all that's sorted out the budget and hence the accounts cannot be sorted.

There are some social media rumours that Watford's owner, Laurence Bassini, has or will miss deadlines to prove that he can fund the club for the year. If that is true then ownership will revert back to Lord Ashcroft who will sell it to another interested European based party with pots of cash. I know taht there were rumours of the Udinese owner buying the club a couple of months ago, but they were rubbished by a director at Udinese.

There is another rumoour that Graham Taylor has stepped down as chariman. If true I'm not too surprised as he was a reluctant chairman. This could go hand in hand with new owners.

EDIT: This isn't a rumour but something that has only just been announced

Archived