OFFICIAL FM2011 Demo First Impressions Thread

Have been playing as plymouth and found winning quite tough, even though had signed Aliadiere and a few other better players for the club.specially for League 1.

in comparison to my 1st quick start Hercules,just promoted into primera (trezeguet,drenthe,N,Valdez) and was smashing goals in every game.obv a differance in talent but still such a stretch apart considering they were in the same league equivelant last year.

so strange in how this reflects the players ability.

Also not sure if im being a total c*ck but have put in for a few contracts (usual player/agent demands palava) then gone to double check my finances to be sure to accept the right players. decided to go back and adjust/change the contract given,but gives me no option to do so,unlike fm10(positioned under withdraw transfer).

thought i would withdraw to then renegotiate, but agent says-my player is not interested after previous break down in talks :o

Woah 'alright darlin,no need to get your knickers in a twist' you'll neva find a club who could've loved ya as well as i could' ok now bye bye then. :p

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

really,thats wierd coz it doesnt give me any other options apart from withdraw,last game had 2 or 3 differant options. maybe i need to reinstall the demo or something.

other than the 2 things ive spotted,oh and players throwing hissy fits over being transfer listed,every thing seems grand,

Dark skin all the way wooohooo!!!!

In private chat it seems you can't make a comment about an upcoming or previous match, just general comments about a manager's style, ability or relegation/title chances and so on. This even happens when you're trying to make a comment responding to a pre-match comment another manager has made to you. And the "mind-games" section only covers relegation or title battles. For me, at least.

I am not sure if anyone else is/has been experiencing this, but on the transfer deadline day I made a signing that required a workpermit. The squad registration accured just before I managed to have the player in the squad although he accepted terms and workpermit was granted (transfer-window was closing later that day), so it looks like I can't use him until the transfer window opens in January & a new squad registration is possible. Wouldn't it be more correct if the final squad registration happened immediatly before the transfer window closes (like the page before in computer terms ;))? Having the V.D. Vaart deal in mind...

Hope I didn't get you wrong but you don't have to wait for the registration screen to show up, you should be able to access it on the same panel where 'squad' and 'tactics' are.

how on earth do we go about uploading Match Highlights ? uploading 1 goal to youtube is easy but an error always comes up when uploading match highlights to youtube. Always check your internet connection and try again later.

I've tried a few different things including having the firewall on and off, and closing all other web browsers & programs other than FM and still comes up with the error. I have seen 1 person only in the Youtube thread with Match Highlights uploaded, Anyone have any ideas ?

Yes, until I set my match prep on defensive corners to get their ability up.

Aye, I found that really helped as well.

Think I'd spent too much of pre-season trying to work on team blend, which I'm not sure was even necessary anyway :D

My first impressions - loving it. I'd gotten a bit burnt out with doing so much for FM last year, and I really don't have any spare time this year. But FM11 is seducing me with its magic once more... Well played SI :)

It's not easy to judge the game as the motivation to 'dive in' is minimal because you know in advance you can only play half a season. I can't seem to get hooked yet, but that is probably the reason.

Apart from that my first impression is a good one. Especially the player interaction (allthough reactions are often strange and ill-tempered), agents and the match-view are nice improvements. There are some minor errors, as are suggested in this and the bug-topic, but I'm hopefull they won't make it to the retail version.

What did strike me though was the fact that in half a season of playing I never saw a striker who was through on goal try to dribble past the keeper. Every striker shoots hard from outside the area in those cases. Lobbing the keeper is also not something that's in the players dictionary it seems. These dont seem very realistic to me.

Furthermore I don't really like the fact that when playing in Spain, Chile of the UAE for example, the surroundings of the stadium are just as they are when playing in Britain. A typical british setting, not very common in chile I would think. I also didnt see anything of the promise of a large number of different stands and new roofing-types in the stadiums. I didnt see any major changes in comparison to FM10, apart from the colouring of the seats maybe. Is this because the demo is a stripped version of the real game?

I would still ike to see an option to ask for stadium-improvement next to just the stadium-expansion. Would be nice to get some uncovered stands covered or seated, not nescessarily increasing capacity. Low cost to achieve and still more revenue from more expensive tickets.

I also miss the position of my players at half time. They seem to get orderd by number in stead by position, which makes it harder to make substitutions (need to go to tactics first). I believe this wasnt the case in FM10.

I just want to say a massive thank you to SI.

Year on year you strive to bring us new features that enhance our playing experience. Sometimes these features take a little getting used to and take a little bit of trial and error. For years we have been crying out for a 3D view, something 4-5 years ago we never really thought possible, but this year the TV view makes the match day experience much better.

Whenever a new feature is added to any game its a little hit and miss, but without gaining the gamers reaction how can they be improved? I think that as a company, SI are far closer to the 'fans' than many, many other developers. They ask for advice, ask for your opinion and even give you a platform to discuss the game - so comments, good or bad, can be explained and reacted to by SI.

I have seen countless threads started to complain about an area of the game and in almost every single one a member of SI have replied to the original poster. Problems are discussed and I guess the majority are resolved. SI are very proud if what they do and they should be, they work hard to ensure we have the most realistic, and complete managerial experience possible. Sure, there are things that need to be addressed in the coming months, but SI are dedicated to updating those elements that need improvement. This year Agents have been introduced, and whilst I also think there is improvement to be made in this area, we are being exposed to more of the real-life activities that clubs are faced with.

I have been a big fan since the old days of Championship Manager Italia, and although the odd feature does take a little tweaking, I believe the game has improved year on year and is set to be the best ever this year round. Thanks to the game I have increased my knowledge of world football, I have gone on to take coaching badges after being inspired by playing - I have even had help changing my career, after working on The Bootroom fanzine I have managed to move into a graphic design job for a Marketing Agency. Next week I am off to watch Burton Albion play after managing last year on FM and I'm sure that I am not the only one who has been inspired to watch a lower league side after playing the game.

All in all, I am delighted with SI and the FM game - can't wait for Nov 5th!

s

Thought of a another one.

1. Still a problem when it comes to assigning roles to strikers. Say you want a target man and a complete forward well you can have that but it also means you can't have them switch position as they will also switch roles also. Si really need to look at this as in real life (and i assume they are trying to get a close as possible to that) strikers don't switch roles as soon as they find themselves playing on the right side of attack instead of the left. Personally i want my forwards switching sides, makes them harder to mark and i've noticed in past versions it gets me way more in way of goals but in the same breath chances are missed because of the whole role switching side of it where a speedy striker gets caught in possession because he's not much of a target man.

+1 for this, cannot believe it still hasn't been changed.

When I bid for a player and it gets accepted I make a good contract but it wont allow me submit the contract to the player

Hi ponting

Did you check that the Board have not vetoed your offer to the player? Veoted offers are in red which means that the board think you are offering too much and so on!

Kazza

Furthermore I don't really like the fact that when playing in Spain, Chile of the UAE for example, the surroundings of the stadium are just as they are when playing in Britain. A typical british setting, not very common in chile I would think. I also didnt see anything of the promise of a large number of different stands and new roofing-types in the stadiums. I didnt see any major changes in comparison to FM10, apart from the colouring of the seats maybe. Is this because the demo is a stripped version of the real game?

/

Agree with this completely - the terraced houses etc are a real bug-bear of mine so far. Would like to know if SI can clarify if this is because of the game being a demo or whether the stadiums etc in the demo are the same in the full version of the game. If so, there's definately room for improvement. Otherwise, a very, very good game.

When I bid for a player and it gets accepted I make a good contract but it wont allow me submit the contract to the player

Hi ponting

Did you check that the Board have not vetoed your offer to the player? Veoted offers are in red which means that the board think you are offering too much and so on!

Kazza

Hey Kezza.

Is that what it is. Just above the submit offer or what ever it is it does say something about the board yes

That isn't what he's saying at all. He's saying that 'jumping' actually means the height a player can reach through the combination of their leap and their actual height. So you will see short people with a great leap getting similar ratings to very tall players without a great leap. Cahill has a terrific leap but because of his height, he's still not going to be able outjump some who's 6'4/6'5 with a good leap of their own.

Sorry to disagree with you guys on this, but I agree that this explanation is not logically sound. If the attribute was named jump reach coefficient then I'm on your side, but it is not. It is called Jumping. As previous contributors have pointed out, there is no logical link between height and jumping ability.

I entirely understand the use of this attribute, and exactly what SI are trying to do with it, and it makes perfect sense in terms of the final outcome. However, this does not hide the fact that "jumping" should be an attribute entirely detached from height.

Just a thought.

Sorry to disagree with you guys on this, but I agree that this explanation is not logically sound. If the attribute was named jump reach coefficient then I'm on your side, but it is not. It is called Jumping. As previous contributors have pointed out, there is no logical link between height and jumping ability.

I entirely understand the use of this attribute, and exactly what SI are trying to do with it, and it makes perfect sense in terms of the final outcome. However, this does not hide the fact that "jumping" should be an attribute entirely detached from height.

Just a thought.

Whatever you all think, this is how the 'jumping' attribute is judged and rated. Yes for transperancy they could have renamed it. But you know what, its their game they can call it what they like, as long as all researchers are singing off the same hymn sheet. Keep arguing, but what you are really asking for is attribute renaming.

I think I'm getting too old for this now. For me the game doesn't have the magic it used to. Too much going on in the game - all I want to do is buy a few players, pick a team and play a match. I don't want all the phaff with "conversations", intricate training and tactics, pointless repetitive interactions with the media etc etc.(

Let your assistant manager handle the press, opposition instruction, motivation etc. etc. Download a working tactic from tactics forum and play with only commentary, i have never enjoyed FM2010 like this after turning the off 3D and increased the game tempo to max.

I really hope that SIGames continues to let us users to switch off all the new features...

Right finally got round to playing a bit of the demo, and am kind of glad I did as I am now not in a hurry to get the new version and can carry on a very enjoyable game on 10.

There are some good new features, I like the agent interaction, and the contract negotiations too. However the conversations part in not very good at all imo, very childlike and always leads to a player getting the hump, I don't think if I do eventually get 11 it is a feature I will use unless I have to.

I do like the new TV camera, definately adds to the 3D experience, but that is instantly negated by the appauling crowd, very cartoon like, just terrible.

Last year I thought about not getting 10 as I was enjoying 09, but as soon as the new editor was announced and the chance to play lower down the league came about that sealed the deal for me, this year I just feel I'd be spending £25 on a worse game, so think I will wait and read peoples comments in the forums before getting it, if I do at all.

Just an observation....I tried to sign a staff member (at BSN level), as he was also still a registered player he decided to change the offer to player only. That is silly, if he had wanted to be coach/player I could understand it but not a totally different singular role, and it wasnt clearly indicated as a change to contract on the negotiating screen (needed highlighting better!). It was pure luck that I didnt make the wromg offer.

Hi guys...

I want to expose two more things that makes me some brain distortion x'D

1st - Set Piece Editor - What have this new feature added to game ? I think that nothing... Why ? Maybe it's only a 1st sight of our piece definition. I thought that we would be able to set the players movents around the area until the corner / free kick leave the taker.

2nd - Interaction with players - Why do we have two non friendly possible anwsers, when the player refuses to start / forget a movement, instead of an 3rd option like "sorry for my interpelation".

Now i want to know a thing...

Playing at ONLINE VERSION, what will be the differences in tactics engine ? Usually, a good tactic at OFFLINE VERSION it's crap at ONLINE VERSION... What is the cause of that ?

Thought of a another one.

1. Still a problem when it comes to assigning roles to strikers. Say you want a target man and a complete forward well you can have that but it also means you can't have them switch position as they will also switch roles also. Si really need to look at this as in real life (and i assume they are trying to get a close as possible to that) strikers don't switch roles as soon as they find themselves playing on the right side of attack instead of the left. Personally i want my forwards switching sides, makes them harder to mark and i've noticed in past versions it gets me way more in way of goals but in the same breath chances are missed because of the whole role switching side of it where a speedy striker gets caught in possession because he's not much of a target man.

Agree with this as well, always bugged me. Would be particularly useful in set piece instructions as well, if you are swapping a smaller player for a bigger one most likely you want them doing completely different things at corners/free kicks.

can anyone tell me a bit more about the "sell on fee profit percentage" clause in the contract negotiations...?

is it just as it sounds - the PLAYER will get the percentage of the sell on fee?

thats crazy if so, doe that go on in real life?

thanks

Yes,it is very common particularly with south-american players.

• SI Staff
Just a question on something I am interested in, I didn't think you had to register players for the football league (25) like in the prem? My team Saints have signed Bignal and Chaplow in real life but in the game I cannot register players after august 31st (we signed this players 2 weeks ago in real life)

Although much less widely reported, the Football League has also adopted a 25 man squad registration rule.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/lat...245681_2066602

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/colcheste...squad_1_622941

After the registration deadline you are able to register free transfer or loan signings, as long as you still have space in the squad list to do so.

Change system purchasing of players by installments! It is impossible in the real world, having 5 million dollars, to purchase players on 25 million so doesn't happen! Change this system! Let owners of club as that supervise purchasing of players by installments. Now if there is money for minimum payment of it enough what to purchase expensive player! It not correctly and very much simplifies the game world!

P.S.

And in general - thanks for Great GAME!

In private chat it seems you can't make a comment about an upcoming or previous match, just general comments about a manager's style, ability or relegation/title chances and so on. This even happens when you're trying to make a comment responding to a pre-match comment another manager has made to you. And the "mind-games" section only covers relegation or title battles. For me, at least.

Just like to second this.

First impressions.... Absolutely brilliant. Have bought the game every year since original release... yep I am 40!! What a real gem this release is, fantastic match engine. It makes me want to watch the whole match. Lower league game with high street and shops in the background!!!! The new animations are excellent. I scored 8 goals against a lesser side and all 8 were completely different. I'm used to clearing out my squad when I start a game... usually start as Spurs, so a bit more of a challenge in the selling players department, i've been offering 0 upfront and the rest over 48 months which seems to be getting better responses. On the whole EXCELLENT, just ordered on steam.

1750177c416eb4e36868f839b278801b.png

Also the DOB/Age shown is wrong for ALL players, they all have the same. And it resets for another DOB/Age every time i reload the screen. The DOB/Age it resets to however always belongs to one of the featured players. In this case its the age of Tommaso Rocchi, who has most MOM awards with 5.

When it comes to attributes, particularly physical ones like jumping and strength, people need to understand these are just instructions to be given to the match engine, not to be taken quite so literally. Height and weight stats seem to be just there for detail; they don't matter, so instead of Tim Cahill being given a height and jumping ability, to be weighed against each other in the ME, he's just given a "jumping" attribute, to measure how high he can get. I'd guess they don't call it "jumping reach" or whatever because it's more awkward sounding, and it really shouldn't be that hard to understand anyway.

Three questions I cant find answers to:

• Where do you find the individual league reputations?
  • Where do you see the offside bars when a goal is disallowed?
  • What is the small pale blue coloured box for next to the mouse when you hover over certain items?

Three questions I cant find answers to:

• Where do you find the individual league reputations?
  • You can only see a list of the reputations, and the star rating of the top 3, in each geographical area.
  • Where do you see the offside bars when a goal is disallowed?
  • It just happens.
  • What is the small pale blue coloured box for next to the mouse when you hover over certain items?
  • It means there is a tooltip, and i'm not sure if its supposed to do that or not actually.

:)

Feel like creating a "BEST FM EVER!!111!" thread because this game is awesome! Love how immerisive the 3D now makes the game feel and the stadium and it's occupants are not generic either. If you have a low gate then thats reflected in how many supporters you see. Took a bit of getting used it with the graphics for the crowd but the way they'r done with different emotions/stances makes it seem like they do move - whether they have their head in the hands after a miss or cheering a goal or maybe even jeering a player. *spooky!"

Like the match preview and overview screen where it reviews the ref! Only briefly played the demo of FM10 and the same with FM09 so I'v had two versions of features thrust upon me but all I can say is that I'll be buying this because it's superb.

Reminiscing in the other thread got me thinking back at the Amiga version and you know how you wished back in the day about having all these different features? Within FM11 they are there! No doubt FM12 will build upon it once again and I'm sure it will but FM11 is very good indeed.

Way too many red cards.. referee's are too harsh.

Start of november, 19 matches played

41 yellow cards

7 red cards. John O'Shea has 3.

Also players get unhappy way too easily. I got gibson, giggs and vidic hand in transfer requests because a lack of managerial discipline.. wtf? I fined o'shea and gave them warnings for there first red cards, how do i lack discipline. I also have harsh team talks. How do i make them happy again??

Been playing the Demo for a couple of days and I like it. The match engine is much better than FM10.

A few issues:

Too many long range shots (unrealistic)

Too many red cards

The player position display format is awful, there was nothing wrong with the traditional format (e.g AMR/L)

Skin is too bright

It would be great if anyone could advise if these are being looked into?

Well done SI!

Archived