OFFICIAL FM2011 Demo First Impressions Thread

Demo looks pretty good to me, from the little time I've had to play it.

This will be my first version of FM as a dad, so not sure how much time I'll have to spend on the full version.......

One thing that I'm struggling to find is advice from your coaches ahead of a game which says the sort of tempo, defensive line and width settings to use against your opponent - that advice was always my main tactical weapon!

Backroom advice? Or they'll often tell you at the pre match meeting.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just downloaded the demo and played a few hours with Inter, arriving up to October. My first impressions and even bugs i noticed are:

1. Record quick goals in other matches - almost every week there is a new record of the fastest goal in that specific competition, everyone seems to be scoring goals within the first 15-20 seconds in this game, though it has only happened in other matches that i have not watched, i just get the news, such as for Europa League, CL, Euro Qualifiers etc.

2.Agents dismissed - half my team has already fired their specific agents, how often does this really happen IRL?

3. Easy easy easy - i am not the best football manager you find around these forums, i enjoy the game to the fullest mostly because i am a realist and my games are always pretty real (unlike many users here who seem to win 5 CLs in a row) i can't do that and i expect to have crisis in the team and i expect to have a VERY HARD time winning matches. However, i am not sure if it's because Inter is super strong in this game because of last years conquests, or because the game is way too easy, i didn't even work on ANY training, specific tactics except the basic ones, and i have no done ANYTHING extra, yet my results until October include these (with no draw or lose at all):

Inter 2-0 Roma (Super Cup), Inter 1-0 At Madrid, Palermo 0-3 Inter, Roma 0-4 Inter, Inter 3-1 Sampdoria, Napoli 0-2 Inter, Inter 5-0 Zilina

And i only bought Afellay, who i must admit has been so superb at AMC, i was forced to move Sneijder to MC. Still though, these results with no big tactical knowledge or anything else, are just not even Amateur-level, they are absolutely BABY level.

4. I had a penalty given to my team with no highlight in front of it, leading to the penalty. So i have no idea how i got the penalty, but Eto'o missed it.

5. A bug, it says Ranieri was at Roma for 12 months, but since 2007! See for yourself. :-)

bug.jpg

Like it so far (got to December), and impressed so far. A couple of things I'd like though would be more description on the goals after the game in the match report it gives you in your news inbox, such as saying someone went on a great run, beat 2 men, and placed the shot into the bottom corner. Also in the same section I'd like to see more descriptions of own goals, rather than just that someone scored an embarassing own goal. Would also like replays (different angles) of penalty decisions (given and not given), and for the screen to slow down/freezeframe when it comes to offsides given/not given for goals that are given/not given. I know we have the lines, but it'd be good if it slowed down at that moment too. Overall, happy though.

I posted this in the wishlist, but I'm not sure if this is better already in FM11. Can't be sure cos the demo is to short to tell:

I would like to see more interest for my services from other clubs. Only when I'm top of a league I get an occasional job-offer without having applied for that job (one or two during a 10 year career), but it seems realistic that higher-reputation clubs see my achievements at a cash-strapped club and think "hmm, that guy knows what he's doing with little money. He can probably do it at a higher level also", a club in relegation battle saw me lift a club out of that misery and would like to offer me that challenge, that kind of thing. Or maybe even een lower reputation club with ambition for higher things (eg after a takover) might want to tempt a higher rep manager (see the Eriksson Notts County coup) into taking charge there to achieve these ambitions. Let them take that chance with me. I would like offers from lower-rep or similar-rep clubs. Especially when my contract runs out I would like to have offers come in for the next season. Seems realistic to me. No hard feelings from board or supporters etc.

What I have seen from FM10 the job offers are sparse and only occur when you get a team promoted or do really well. This makes leaving a club for greener (or different-) pastures very hard as you have to apply for jobs in the knowledge that it makes your position at your current club insecure, your loaylty lower and you can't be sure the target-club wants you or not. Now a job always ends in a quarrel or joblessness (cotract runs out or you get the boot).

4 competitive games = 4 red cards and 4 penaltys... Realistic

Well log it in the bugs forum then. It should also be pointed out that 4 games is not a suitable sample, statistically speaking. You could go the rest of the season with none.

I have not played any matches so far but from what I'm seeing this game looks pretty good. I like that the inbox and news are all on the same screen I don't find it confusing and it also saves a lot of time for me. I also like the new way to interact with the players and the board I've already persuaded my board to increase my transfer budget and improve my youth recruitment :).

One thing I would say is that I'm not to fond of the bright skin but that's not to much of a problem as there will be new skins to download soon hopefully.

1 other thing I'd like to add regarding my earlier post talking about more detail in the match reports which are in the news inbox after the game has processed all the other results. I just scored a goal which came from...........not a mistake to be honest, but went down as a mistake, yet in the 90th minute, the opposition goalkeeper whacked the ball against his own man, it fell to 1 of my guys, who just tapped it in from about 18 yards out, and yet it said nothing about the comedy error between keeper and defender, and said it was a well executed finish. Seems a bit silly really.

I think people are just looking for bugs that aren't there, I've played three seperate saves through to the end of the demo and I've not found anything that I would consider a bug (playing both 3D and classic 2D viewings) ME is superb in my opinion.

Agents are very realistic, a bigger name player coming to a smaller club, they want to the the highest payed player and the agent wants a slice of that. A smaller player demands less and so on.

Set peice creator is great, free kicks and corners provide a real goal threat if you use the right set up.

Transfer system seems great.

Skin is darker than last years ulta bright version and I have no complaints.

Three great saves with Newcastle, Man City and Southampton, can't wait for release day so I can crack on with the Newcastle save :D

Cheers SI!

not sure where to post this - someone suggested to post it in the bugs forum but thought this was where the feedback for FM11 is. Firstly, I think it's awesome - only one situation that has popped up that I can't figure out:

Not sure if anyone has had an issue with this or if it is a complete anomaly. Playing the demo with Arsenal, and Alex Song was injured during all pre-season and missed the first couple of games. I put him in the reserves for a game or 2 until he was match fit, and then he has started 5 out of the last 6 games, and came off the bench in the other game.

I then get a message saying Alex Song is unhappy and he wants to speak to me and he complained that he wasn't getting first team football. None of the answers provided gave me the option of saying 'WTF - you ARE in the first team and starting every game'. So I started him again in the next match and then after that game, he has handed in a transfer request telling me I have treated him poorly and my refusal to fulfil the first team football promise is one of the main reasons why.

Interested to get your thoughts on this - I have now offered him a new contract as continuing playing him doesn't make him happy again

Apologies if this has been covered but in my squad screen, the whole team is listed in a way that means i have to scroll down to the bottom. In previous games, I was able to choose 'position' in the View drop down menu and the squad would split into two columns but I can't find how to do that now. Any ideas?

Apologies if this has been covered but in my squad screen, the whole team is listed in a way that means i have to scroll down to the bottom. In previous games, I was able to choose 'position' in the View drop down menu and the squad would split into two columns but I can't find how to do that now. Any ideas?

Yeah basically they've dropped the overview view now. Something to do with custom panels not working with it.

Well since my last post on this matter I have played a good few hours more and I have to say I'm sticking with my first impression, as I mentioned earlier, apart from some graphical improvements I'm starting to find this game just as annoying as it ever was. I've been at this demo for a good few hours now and I'm still struggling with the messy interface and all the millions of pointless messages I get, the 'agent' thing is just another annoying feature that's been added in my opinion, by the time you've muddled your way through everything it could be days before you actually get to see a match! When you do get to a match, yet again apart from looking much better, it's still very annoying and frustrating, for example, my first league match of the new season...... Between them both teams managed to produce 13 yellow cards and 1 red, 4 injuries that needed substitutions and the usual FM hideous amount of throw-ins and still there is no difference what so ever in how your team plays no matter how many times you change the tactics, in fact I'd go as far as to say there are loads of interactions you go through that have no bearing on what goes on, they just seem to be there to fill the game out more.

In conclusion I'd say FM 2011 will still be a big hit with all the 'anoraks' who seem to love sitting there for hours reading pointless messages about Joe Bloggs and his dog signing up for The Red Lion first team....etc, etc and then clicking through a hundred screens looking for what ever it was they wanted (it took me that long yesterday to get the screen I wanted, that I'd forgotten why I was going there by the time I'd found it)........ Would I buy this game?.... I'll probably do exactly what I did with FM 2010, I'll wait until SI think they've fixed it with patches again and then pick it up cheap off eBay.

I personally am enjoying the demo. Most of the new features are good, i particularly like the board interaction and contract negotiations. However some of the player interaction and manager comments where you have to sit through a chat with the press can get a little tedious.

There is definite improvement in the match engine too.

Looking forward to the full release.

I'm really enjoying the demo, i think that we are getting closer to really having a great managment sim.

However, my only problem with it, and it is a big big problem, is that with regard to the player interaction, SI have cut our balls off. There are 4 responses we can make, all totally out of touch with what we want to say to the players, because there is no middle ground option! A player wants to leave, for example, and we have such a poverty of options that it's almost impossible to handle the situation. Why can i not placate a player who wants leave? Why can i not say,'Keep working hard and you will get your chance/I rate you highly etc..', instead of being forced to either sell him or basically take the hard, stubborn stance where there is no negotiation?

There is no excuse for it really. Otherwise, ME is crackingly good, not perfect, but much better than FM10.3, and eveything else is cool. Preferred the FM10 interface though, gotta be said. Not much reason to have changed it.

Simple question, tried to find the thread I'm hopefully most likely to get a mod response on!

Basically (I may get lambasted for not being 'hardcore' enough!) but I like to keep FM running whilst doing other stuff on the PC, like accessing iTunes etc.etc.

On the old games you could always just press 'Esc' to return to desktop and then you could just click on the FM tab at the bottom to return to the game and keep switching screens at your own discretion.

BUT...on the demo pressing 'Esc' merely goes back one screen on Football Manager, and I can't find any way to return to desktop without quitting the game, (which obviously I don't want to do but what if I want to change music/check emails etc!)

Thanks in Advance!

Not sure if u havn't tried already, or if your comp set up to do so,

but usually i just press the windows key(start key) on the keyboard. For me it minimizes the game screen back to desktop, then i check my music,then just click the tab on the bottom taskbar.

might take a couple seconds to size down depending on how much programs u have open.

Kl :D

Tried it with Spurs and getting close to the end of pre-season and I haven't had any interest in or bids for any of my players, has it become harder to sell again? I also managed to make all four strikers upset in the first couple of days, I think the new interaction will make it hard to keep the squad happy.

not sure where to post this - someone suggested to post it in the bugs forum but thought this was where the feedback for FM11 is. Firstly, I think it's awesome - only one situation that has popped up that I can't figure out:

Not sure if anyone has had an issue with this or if it is a complete anomaly. Playing the demo with Arsenal, and Alex Song was injured during all pre-season and missed the first couple of games. I put him in the reserves for a game or 2 until he was match fit, and then he has started 5 out of the last 6 games, and came off the bench in the other game.

I then get a message saying Alex Song is unhappy and he wants to speak to me and he complained that he wasn't getting first team football. None of the answers provided gave me the option of saying 'WTF - you ARE in the first team and starting every game'. So I started him again in the next match and then after that game, he has handed in a transfer request telling me I have treated him poorly and my refusal to fulfil the first team football promise is one of the main reasons why.

Interested to get your thoughts on this - I have now offered him a new contract as continuing playing him doesn't make him happy again

When you say you put him in the reserves, did you mean that you made him available for the reserves until match fit or did you actually move him to the reserves?

The first one was the option you actually needed to do as he would keep his status as a first team player but will play in the reserve matches. The second one tells him that you don't see him as a first team player and that's probably why he got upset.

I agree with all the good points and that the game is a general improvement on 2010.

A couple of issues though.

I signed Romelu Lukaku for 6.5m with absolutely no competition. Being as all the big clubs in Europe are supposed to be interested in this player and the price is normally quoted as between 15m to 25m that seems a little unrealistic. Especially as he is every bit as good as he's supposed to be.

Also, I agree with whoever complained about the Tactics screen flicking to 'Individual Instructions' when you access it in game. Very annoying an no reason for it.

Been playing the demo for a few days now and thought I would throw in my thoughts.

Note: I am comparing this against FM09 as I never got FM10, been playing FM09 until now, it will be a hard goodbye.

I think the ME is good and I really like the new tactics creator, even if this is basically using template for player positions etc, I find it is a quick and efficient way of creating tactic frameworks which can then be tweaked as needed.

I have heard ppl raising issues with the amount of 1-on-1 chances missed, although after about 10 games I have not noticed this. Yes, 1-on-1's are missed, but then again I have seen plenty of 1-on-1 goals go in. I think the chances the player shoots straight at the keep increase if the player charges though the middle, as if they come in from the site of the Pen Box, then I see the amount of goals scored on 1-on-1's increase.

I LOVE the new shouts and subs. I believe this was implemented in 2010, but still have to praise it. Making tactic decisions is much smoother and more responsive now.

I like the Match Prep Screen, it is really usualful to see how the team are adjusting to your tactics and how to focus them on particular areas. I also like the Back Room advise and the Pre-Match Advise (although not always that useful).

The new contract negotiation is fun. Haven't seem any HUGE agent demands, but then again I play Liverpool who have no money so no surprise there!

The general layout takes awhile to get used too (especially from FM09) but I find in the end it saves a lot of time to have the info where it is.

The new player "private talk" is "ok", but think there could be some improvements to it, but it is a start. When I tried to transfer list some players they wanted to speak to me and unless I got on my knees and apologised they got really angry. While the way this happens is not that well implemented, I like the fact that there ARE consequences for transfer listing a player. I also think a player is more likely to be mad at you if you have only managed the club at short time (regardless of prior experience). I look forward to seeing how player talks go after a few seasons in.

All in all I have been very impressed with the Demo and cannot wait for the full game to come out! Bring on the 5th!

Well. The biggest issue for me in every version of this game is, what has been done with ME.

I see same stupid defensive mistakes. And i see same stupid offensive mistakes. Patch 1,2,3 will folow...every version...same story.

Whats the difference in last 3 FM games in this department. Seriosly...has there been any mayor improvement in ME in the last 3 FM versions?

Some new anoying additions, like agents and even more conversations with players. I swear if irl players acted like they do in the game...well, i doubt coaches would tolerated them.

Looks like this game is heading in the "more talk, less play" direction.

Well. The biggest issue for me in every version of this game is, what has been done with ME.

I see same stupid defensive mistakes. And i see same stupid offensive mistakes. Patch 1,2,3 will folow...every version...same story.

Whats the difference in last 3 FM games in this department. Seriosly...has there been any mayor improvement in ME in the last 3 FM versions?

You are going to be a little more specific if you want anything done about it. This ME is massively improved over 10.1,10.2 and substantially better than 10.3. So specifically what is wrong?

Just to be clear, I don't believe its perfect but I'm intrigued as to what this helpful poster thinks is so terrible this time round.

Agree with edgar555 on this one. After playing about 3 or 4 matches now there is a vast improvement on the ME. I noticed it as soon as I played my 1st game actually. It looks a lot better and plays a lot better. Granted there will be a few tweaks here and there because no game is perfect when it first comes out.

A couple of only minor things I've noticed though is some of the really simple passing does seem to go astray, some of the players just run the ball out at the byline for no reason - and what I mean by that is the player is running down the flank with the ball and just continues to run it out without attempting to do anything like pass it or cross it from the byline and just runs the ball out for a goal kick for the opposition - and a couple of times some players have hoofed the ball out for a throw in when there was no need to.

Now while I know that the simple passing going astray part happens in real life - moreso with the lower league teams, reserves and youths - I don't understand on why a player would just run the ball out at the byline without attempting to keep the ball in, pass it or cross it. Also the kicking it out for no reason part is a bit like the way FM2010 used to be before it was corrected with the 1st patch. Example - the opposite team player battered the ball upfield from his side, my right full back was running after it (not an opposition player anywhere near him), got it and then just booted it out the park. Now this is a player that knows what he's doing and isn't a 16 year-old youth who's still wet behind the ears. I remember FM2010 (before the patches ) players doing this as well like I say and I haven't seen it in abundance but it is a little bit annoying when it does happen though cos no player would boot it out like that when under no pressure at all.

I haven't found anything else happening that would be considered out of the ordinary like bookings or sending off or penalties. Only other one that I can think of is the amount of long range efforts that are on target from opposition and my team. I had an opposition score two long range screamers against me a couple of days ago in one match - one was a hit and hope kinda shot and one was a free kick from about 50 yards out and both the keeper SHOULD have save BUT they could have been flukes though and will see how it goes as the season goes on. If it starts happening every match (or every other match) then I think it is an issue but unless I see that I won't believe it will be an issue - if you get my meaning :p

These are my only main minor gripes with the ME so far though because the work that has gone on with it compared to FM2010 is (for me) far superior.

Still a big :thup: to SI for what they have produced so far in my opinion.

hey everyone

not a huge poster on here, but thought id give my thoughts on the demo, which seems to of gotten mixed reviews.

gotta say, on the whole im impressed.

the agents are annoying dont get me wrong, and seem to be annoying a lot of people, but thats what they do in real life. seem 2 remember alex ferguson saying recently how he has no problems with footballers, it's agents he has a problem with.

the gameplay has improved a lot in my opinion also, dont feel the need 2 switch to commentary even on my pc which isnt top notch.

thought id say thanks 2 all at si who continue their hard work year in year out to make the best game they can, and sure each year there are people who have issues and find problems, but there aren't that many games where you can come on the forum, and find so many people willing to try and find a fix for you.

again, thanks for the hard work, and looking forward to the 5th on the main release.

matt :D

Like the demo so far really. The camera views on the new match engine are especially nice, I somehow miss a function that would set goal replays (or heck even highlights) to a random view. I guess some like to use the same but it would make the game more TV like for me ;)

I have a really basic annoyance - I do not seem to be able to mark news items as "unread"! This would be a problem to me as I use this method with 9-5 work emails, private emails as well as FM news - its how I do things in my life. Or maybe I just havent sussed how to do it in FM11?

Click on the icon above the news. Whats the point of this feature anyway?

Okay, did anyone have problems with giant stat drop like this?

6ace2b7d46f6d2a0fa96a3359fc3be14.png

This is beckham, i know hes injured/old and all, but the same thing also happened with Pato once, and he was healthy. The only similarity between cases was that i left the match preparation slider on intensive for a few weeks/days. Anyone else got this too?

I guess the match preparation sucks up most of the training work load, leaving them with poor enough regular training to take a dip. For Beckham it's going to be worse on the technical and physical attributes due to age, as seen in the image.

Training and Match preparation are awful

Set pieces creator is horrible

Player positions are @@&!~ I mean what the M(RC)/F(RLC)

oh... and the agents I really hate them, tried to sign Robert Pires (36 years old), the agent demanded a big fee (Agent Fee=1,3 million euro) I mean what the?

Hi

Been playing the demo like most folks for a week now. Whilst not a tactical genius like some, I can put together a 442 combo. So, as always I took the job as manager of NUFC.

Beside some of the ME defenders' issues mentioned in the ME thread, I have decided to concentrate on game play and not comment on ME issues here. This is on the basis that if they is, which there are ME issues, then they affect the AI as well as my team, and they do seem to; re too many shots going widely off target and defenders forgetting that there role is to defend!

The Team

SI have really captured the NUFC atmosphere, whether by luck, chance or coding it can be a real sod to run the team. Joey Barton is a mare if you say anything detrimental to him (presumably because they think I am a jumped up nobody of a manager).

I had Steven Taylor visit me and tell me I had to decide between him and Carroll – I said I was the manager and he stormed off in a hissy fit – this was followed by Ryan Taylor telling me in no uncertain terms that I treated his mate Steven with disrespect! Smith then told me his pal Joey was unhappy with me and so was he, so there – all refused to speak to me for weeks.

After a few good signings, Pires/van der Meyde/Franco, the Board decided to up my wage bill due to all the injuries the club was carrying – good thing too as I had overspent the wage bill.

So far so real: quite frightening really.

The Matches

Just as in rl, NUFC continue to frustrate – I have had more draws that a Victorian Dresser and I am tipped for a relegation struggle. I tend to use variations of 442 and tweak individual players roles. However, I am finding that my assman tells me that there is gaps between midfield/defence. Not only that my attack seems to have forgotten that in the game there is such a thing called a goal and they have difficulty in finding that thing called the “net”.

Using touchline shouts and tactical tweaks, I generally find that the opposition can manage to score in the last 2 minutes of injury time. I even got so exasperated that I changed to 424 in 2 games, then overload and that seemed to work! I used that for 90mins against Arsenal and lost 1-2, they scored in the last 15mins to win. I will continue to perservere.

Conclusion

FM11 is every bit as good as FM10 and as as frustratingly difficult if you try and run an average team in a good division, without cheating/using editors and so forth. It is not a great move forward, but still is very enjoyable (in so much as beating your head against the wall is when your team fail to display anything that approaches football acumen).

Also I think that this review is pretty close to accurate: http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/113/1131007p2.html

I have pre-ordered from Steam and for once I will definitely start a new game come 5/11/10 .

K

Archived