OFFICIAL FM2011 Demo First Impressions Thread

• Administrators
Overall my feedback is very positive - as addictive as ever!

One issue I have come across though (Apologies if already mentioned, 14 pages is a lot to trawl through) is that on the 3D match engine, behind the advertising hoardings there are just fields. No crowd or stands, just green grass. Now I know that Plymouth Argyle aren't the biggest of teams, but I can assure that they do have a 20,000 capacity ground, and don't play on a random field!

It could well be a problem with my laptop, but it's something I thought I'd share!

Do you have stadiums ticked in the preferences? It should be in the 'display and sound' section - depending on your graphics card it may have auto-set to a low setting and turned stadiums off. Let me know, thanks.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well heres my first thoughts of the demo with Tottenham!

-OMG OMG have SI really taken the view by position option where you can see the whole team on one page away!?!?! I'm pretty freaked about this as having lots of players just listed is a lot more difficult for me when I am playing! I really hope I can get that view back!!

- Tottenhams new stadium which has been OFFICIALLY announced by Spurs isnt in the game??? Should say moving to the new 60,000 seater in 2012.

- William Gallas...yes William Gallas is rated as Tottenhams best player with 4.5 stars......Also Robbie keane is the best rated stricker above Defoe. As of yet IRL he is actually 4th choice!

-Lennon is still very underated for one of the best right wingers in the prem.

-Gareth Bale has a pace of 14 with acceleration of 17...excuse me but he is one of the quickest players possibly in the world! Also for one of Europes hottest properties he is worth £5.5M? I know you pay more to actually buy him but surely his value is more than that?

-Lastly my Assman says we should be aiming to win the title instead of thinking of continental qualification. Isnt that a little premature? I mean I'd love Spurs to win the title but even I think we will probably finish around 5th this season.

The game looks good so far don't get me wrong but the lack of my favourite squad view and the Spurs players ability being all over the shop I am wondering if the ressearcher has even watched a single match TBH :S

I agree on all. Im affraid SI has gone ott wih this one and so many errors like this. and for me the worst part is player interaction. I have a few posts going on it and have said my piece on it. Dont need to go into. It kinda speaks for itself.

- Tottenhams new stadium which has been OFFICIALLY announced by Spurs isnt in the game??? Should say moving to the new 60,000 seater in 2012.

Not quite correct. The stadium has only just received planning permission from Haringey council which still needs to be rubber stamped by Boris Johnson. So therefore its not confirmed.

As for the players. Stop looking at the numbers. Play the game. Bale is incredible, just like IRL. Lennon is amazing, just like IRL. Gallas was rated by the gooner researcher. And I'm sure you'll learn to live without the overview.

- William Gallas...yes William Gallas is rated as Tottenhams best player with 4.5 stars......Also Robbie keane is the best rated stricker above Defoe. As of yet IRL he is actually 4th choice!

Neither Gallas nor Keane are the best players in their position for Spurs- Gallas usually ends up in the reserves.

He's rated as one of the best wingers in the league.

-Gareth Bale has a pace of 14 with acceleration of 17...excuse me but he is one of the quickest players possibly in the world! Also for one of Europes hottest properties he is worth £5.5M? I know you pay more to actually buy him but surely his value is more than that?

Values are automatically generated. Bale isn't really anywhere near as fast as the likes of Agbonlahor, Kébé or Dyer, is he?

-Lastly my Assman says we should be aiming to win the title instead of thinking of continental qualification. Isnt that a little premature? I mean I'd love Spurs to win the title but even I think we will probably finish around 5th this season.

Again, these are automatically generated.

The game looks good so far don't get me wrong but the lack of my favourite squad view and the Spurs players ability being all over the shop I am wondering if the ressearcher has even watched a single match TBH :S

I hope my points in bold help you.

Remember, is a demo. Report the bugs (they're a lot, I know) to the SI guys no what to beterize ;)

This situation appen to a friend of mine:

"Bruno signs for Vit. Setubal

Bruno is suffering the pressure in the Estádio do BOnfim (stadium of V. Setubal) and cleary didn't do enuff to convince the manager of Vit. Setubal to aquire the pass of the player definitely"

o.0

sorry the bad english

• Administrators
Well heres my first thoughts of the demo with Tottenham!

-OMG OMG have SI really taken the view by position option where you can see the whole team on one page away!?!?! I'm pretty freaked about this as having lots of players just listed is a lot more difficult for me when I am playing! I really hope I can get that view back!!

Data issues thread please. The Tottenham researcher was actually in Milan the other night watching Spurs so I think he knows a thing or two about watching the club. William Gallas was rated by the Arsenal researcher and Robbie Keane by the Celtic researcher, it's all being discussed here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/230268-ENGLAND-Tottenham-Hotspur-%28Official%29-Data-Issues

And on a personal level, Lennon is average at best. And if Tottenham's stadium move has been officially announced why are they potentially looking to move to the Olympic Stadium because their announced stadium has had it's plans blocked by the council? - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/8044745/Olympic-Stadium-move-looks-a-real-option-for-Tottenham-Hotspur.html

OK i have started at Tottenham and have had a rubbish time. Iv played 8 games, 6 league, 2 champ lge qual, and iv not scored a single goal!! Now i know ITS MY TACTICS and blah blah but No Goals. Bale has 6 games 3 in def 3 mid and not managed above a 6.1. I play a very Tottenham style 4-4-2 with the usual starters and one new signing (Bob Carlos). Gomes has asked to leave because i wouldnt give him a new contract with a 3.4 mil release cause. Does anyone in the prem league have a clause that low? Maybe? Tried to Sign Hulk of Porto Whos worth 4.7, Porto wanted, wait for it....58 mill. Now if porto think thats what hes worth, thats there opinon and ill move on but C'Mon son 58. Why is his value so low? if it said hes worth 30 and they asked for 58 its a bit more acceptable but this is cack, and its not the first fm to do this with hulk if i remeber rightly. Got 8 mill rated Rossi for 20 just before i quit for the night(only played one but didnt score) Every match iv had at least three 6.0 ratings. Will start a new one with Real tom but will have an angry sleep first i think

Thanks for the reply.

Lol the link about the stadium says looking at POSSIBLE move to the Olyimpic stadium IF the local council blocks planning permission for our new stadium.

Here is proof planning permission has been approved and a few formallities need to be signed (just the mayors signature and sports minister because its a very large project) and can be seen on lots of sites.

http://londonist.com/2010/10/tottenhams_new_stadium_approved_by.php

http://www.building.co.uk/news/spurs-plans-to-build-new-stadium-despite-olympic-interest/5006904.article

http://www.sageforconstruction.co.uk/construction_industry_news_selected.aspx?aid=1566

Haringey Council website saying they have given planning permission for the new stadium. I can't get much more of a better example than the council themselves "Haringey Council’s planning committee approved the application with a number of conditions which will ensure measures are in place to deal with matters such as waste collection, transport, security, and access during building work."

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/news_and_events/latest_news/spurs_regeneration_goal_for_tottenham.htm

All Spurs fans should know this well. gallas and keane being rated so highly by other researchers I am sure has made it difficult because they are not comparing the players to the Tottenham squad but I am a little frustrated because Keane and Gallas should be rotational/backup players but in game they are my first picks on the team sheet. So its a little frustrating.

Personnaly I am glad the match against Inter did not over inflate Bales abilty/potencial but I think in game it isnt enough. If I got a nice offer I would sell him without worry but IRL 'Arry has slapped a NOT FOR SALE sign on him (well atleast I hope so :) ).

Anyway enough of my moaning. The game does look really great and I am am really looking forward to starting a worldwide journeyman save when it comes out. My data issues son't distract from what looks to be a well polished game (Y)

Yeah i think most would agree on a whole he is better than average

Looking forward to dark skin but on a whole the new layout looks pretty good. Altho i hope i can change the way my morale looks. It feels like someone has thrown a bag of tuti frutis on my screen!

-Negotiations - Negotiations in this game still feel one sided. The AI tells me what they want, I counter with a lower offer as I feel they are unreasonable, they come back with pretty much the same offer as before. If I raise my offer to somewhere in the middle, they come back with the same offer they just gave me before. The only chance I seem to have of getting any movement at all is if I make an offer non-negotiable, but that seems to get rejected 90% of the time. Unlike FM2010, If contract negotiations break down in FM11, there is 0 chance to restart them. They just won't talk to you at all. Agent Fees seem to be almost non-negotiable, even when the agent in question has a 2 or 3 for the "fees" attribute. If negotiations come down to just squad status, which was common in FM 2010, in the demo you might as well start all over. As soon as you raise the squad status, the agent now demands higher wages to go with the squad status. We just finally agreed on the wages not 1 conversation ago!

Re the bit in bold, I think it relates to the "personality" of the person you are negotiating with and can change. I signed some staff members on a lot less than they originally asked for - they asked for a wage higher than my maximum so I offered about half my max and they came back with something slightly higher but within my budget. Other people are inflexible on their demands and will keep coming back with the same or similar requests until they grind you down!

Blue colored confidence bar doesn't look good... nor the in-box layout... (i prefer FM10's graded confidence bar and better designed inbox).....although the inbox content are better now....

Missing clean sheet in the stat column while creating own view with appreances,goal,mom,assists....

the squad registration.... i have t pick automatically as it wont accept my choices of players....

however loved the 3 tactic option, conversation feature with both player and board.....

game feature fine...

Loving the demo so far, in particular:

Negotiation screens and personel conversations: gives the game a personal touch and makes you feel so much more that you are managing a team. I'm quite enjoying telling my players they're not up to standard (and upsetting them until they want to leave, whoops!)

The match preparation screen: I like how I can now influence what area we're now trying to improve. Squad blending is a biggie, as well as seeing how good my team can perform in a chosen tactic.

One of the biggest things I love and will be using maniacally is the specific attribute training. I've already seen improvements after a mere month on the attribute I specifically want a player to improve. Awesome!

A whole slew of small things such as seeing the keeper walking around the net, the 3d player fade out, and changing weather conditions.

However one thing that I always used in FM10 in the squad screen was the ability to categorise players by their last 5 game ratings. In FM11 this works once when you click on the "last 5 games" table header but as soon as you make a change to your squad the order goes completely random and won't even fix itself when clicking on "last 5 games" again. As soon as I drag a squad member's position and simply place him where he already was the order corrects itself again. Anyone else had this problem? (May be something i'm doing somehow)

Apart from that it looks fantastic, can't wait til the 5th! (Hopefully New Zealand gets it on time!)

OK i have started at Tottenham and have had a rubbish time. Iv played 8 games, 6 league, 2 champ lge qual, and iv not scored a single goal!! Now i know ITS MY TACTICS and blah blah but No Goals. Bale has 6 games 3 in def 3 mid and not managed above a 6.1. I play a very Tottenham style 4-4-2 with the usual starters and one new signing (Bob Carlos). Gomes has asked to leave because i wouldnt give him a new contract with a 3.4 mil release cause. Does anyone in the prem league have a clause that low? Maybe? Tried to Sign Hulk of Porto Whos worth 4.7, Porto wanted, wait for it....58 mill. Now if porto think thats what hes worth, thats there opinon and ill move on but C'Mon son 58. Why is his value so low? if it said hes worth 30 and they asked for 58 its a bit more acceptable but this is cack, and its not the first fm to do this with hulk if i remeber rightly. Got 8 mill rated Rossi for 20 just before i quit for the night(only played one but didnt score) Every match iv had at least three 6.0 ratings. Will start a new one with Real tom but will have an angry sleep first i think

Did you try negotiating for Hulk? Porto obviously have no intention of selling him so try to put you off by demanding £58million, it may be that they would accept £25-30million.

Strictly this is just my honest opinion no punt intended.

After playing the FM series for a few years down the road, and being a gamer on all platform myself i felt that people who play this game really have to appreciate the amount of work that has been done to make this game into a perfect football manager game of all time. They should not complaint/brag about minor2 bugs that appear in the game or even saying that they dont wanna buy the game after playing the demo after finding old bugs , come on guys every games nowadays has bugs in it even big games like Starcraft 2 or COD:Modern Warefare. So i suggest that people stop complaining and start appreciate things that has been done from the SI team. The point is that every year this game has improve tremendously and going into the right direction. Who knows one day this Football Manager game will be made into a module that every Amateur coach has to complete a season in order to become a manager? Well anything can happen in the future. ;) Need your comment on this thanks SI team and gamers!

I am in absolute love with this game. Besides some of the obvious bugs, like the goalkeeper closing down WAY too much and getting himself into terrible positions and conceding, the game is amazing. I am playing as Manchester City as I support them and in 2010 I found it boring to play as them but with the agents and the new transfer system stuff going on I love it. I have signed Luis Fabiano to play alongside Tevez and they are absolutely murdering the prem currently. I am 13 games undefeated. I have a similar style to barca and we are just playing beautiful football and on the 3d match engine its just gorgeous.

Game is great, i cant wait to have the full version.

Quick question thou...for next year FM-2012....when its DEMO, can you guys make it run the entire season? 6-months is just not enough as we are awaiting the full version.

Keep up the great job!!!

I very much like it, but the amount of small bugs scattered about the place is very disappointing.

this pretty much sums it up for me. no game breakers, and i'll be surely getting the game [like i was going to anyway] but it feels slightly rough around the edges, as usual...

Callum Davenport was fairly recently stabbed in real life hence the length of his injury

news story here saying he has just played for Wootton Blue Cross.

I'm glad to see him back on his feet

Only the one complaint I have re: player conversations. Two players now have come to me demanding to be the first team and both conversations have ended them with 'not being able to back down' and handing in transfer requests. Similar types of answers in comparison to FM2010 would not have resulted with such knee-jerking.

Otherwise, love the game, love the 3D, love love love it.

Very. very good so far in... just one thing I've picked up on though is that when I transfer listed a player who was out on loan - when he complained in the media about it, I was mentioned as manager of the club he is on loan to.

Has this already been picked up? If not I'll post it in the bugs forum.

Biggest plus for me has to be animation in match engine and new TV view, brilliant!

Re the bit in bold, I think it relates to the "personality" of the person you are negotiating with and can change. I signed some staff members on a lot less than they originally asked for - they asked for a wage higher than my maximum so I offered about half my max and they came back with something slightly higher but within my budget. Other people are inflexible on their demands and will keep coming back with the same or similar requests until they grind you down!

I also play off the amount the agent asks for the player re wages, signing on and appearance fees by lowering them say by 10/20% and add some of it back 5/7% into the agents fee - they generally grap it - play to their greed!

K

I just sold my first player! Proof that it's bleedin' hard to offload people in this game now.

I am not sure what you mean proof that it is hard to sell players. Can you eloborate please. If I have missed one of your posts explaining where your at in the game apologies.

K

Asked the board at Liverpool for transfer money because I would like to upgrade on a few positions int he First team, they said no 1st then I replied back and they changed their mind, that was 2 weeks ago, still waiting for the transfer budget to get off 0 so I can go out and improve the squad

I am not sure what you mean proof that it is hard to sell players. Can you eloborate please. If I have missed one of your posts explaining where your at in the game apologies.

K

No, no. This is my second go round on the demo. I'm playing as a newly-promoted team in the Portuguese Premier League and I have no money available for transfers or space in the wage budget. I tried selling 6 players in my first 6 months on the demo and no offers came about.

On my second go, I managed to sell two players (both of which I offered out in the first game).

Asked the board at Liverpool for transfer money because I would like to upgrade on a few positions int he First team, they said no 1st then I replied back and they changed their mind, that was 2 weeks ago, still waiting for the transfer budget to get off 0 so I can go out and improve the squad

with all due respect, i hate you.

liverpool board have been tighter than camel's arse in a sandstorm with me...

K

Hi mate,

Miles said it will be very hard to sell player in the first season just like IRL, so that will lead in more loan to sign transfer just like IRL this summer.

now that is wierd...

ok, so its november 1st and i get the message that the club will now be making monthly payments of £1.4m toward our £283m loan. that's fine.

so in the last month we recorded a loss of £3.4m, and that's without the £1.4m, and we have a balance of £6m.

next message is the board announcing they have increased my transfer budget to £2.9m

now i'm not being ungrateful, but isn't it odd that they should give me cash when our financial position makes Portsmouth look like accountants...

And that helps you.

It won't help anyone else or change it for future patches etc.

Plus if you check the German data thread you'll see that Muller is indeed subject to an interesting feud between the German researchers. Seems everyone has a different opinion of him.

yes, it seems selfish. but as you said everyone has a different opinion, so as I edit in editor it would be realistic for me and maybe not for everyone...

I also posted in data thread some of my options and hope they'l make some changes

-----------

anyway the game is owesome

yes, it seems selfish. but as you said everyone has a different opinion, so as I edit in editor it would be realistic for me and maybe not for everyone...

I also posted in data thread some of my options and hope they'l make some changes

-----------

anyway the game is owesome

TBH with Muller I think they will if they can get their researchers to put the handbags away.

And yes it is awesome :thup:

Anyone noticed how many players aged 40 and above are in the game - I have 46 40yrs and above players and the oldest is 47 - come on, this is far too many 40 yr old plus players in the database.

Every time there is a game I get notified that player xxxxx set the new record fo rthe oldest player etc etc.

There are no where near that many 40 year olds still plying football. This needs sorting SI

First impressions - very good, am very impressed. I have noticed a few more bugs than in normal demos, but I have logged these, so hopefully can be ironed out.

Match Engine - graphically a superb upgrade on last year, and so much smoother too. The stadia look better, and fans look better too. A fine job on that front. Have found that a lot of 1-on-1 chances involve the striker missing the goal completely, including 2 from the penalty spot for me too. Noticed a bug or 2 affecting submitting team, and losing the start/pause button in-game, which is rather hard to restart a match at half time with! Player movement and skills are again significantly improved, looks very impressive. The backgrounds behind the stadia i cannot say i really notice in-game, 1 i did in pre-season friendlies was 1 that appeared to be a lake behind the ground, if this is true, lake's do not have square edges! Would be nice if away fans were put more in a corner than they are, I cannot say I like seeing the entire Clock End at the Emirates taken up by a sparse collection of derby fans in the league cup! The widgets on the TV view also do not remember their place, and keep moving and re-setting for me.

Tactics - set piece creator was very useful, gave me a much better idea where i am putting the ball, and who is where, and where they are moving, nice little addition there.

Training - cannot say I have got into this, which is a shame, as i was delighted about its inclusion. It does not seem obvious where everything is, and upon hearing of the 14 areas of training i can still see only 1 new addition - splitting the goalkeeper training into 2.

Press Conferences - 1-click answers are a good move, and the responses and questions appear more varied and less ambiguous. Am pleased by this.

Negotiations - as someone echoed above, it is a total 1-way street, and I am very fed already of either paying what my player and agent say or losing my player on a free at the end of the season. Furthermore the chat option to ask them to drop their wage demends is only allowed in a club in financial trouble, whereas i would like to tell a player he is simply not getting a pay-rise. I find some demands quite unrealistic, I cannot see why Rosicky's agent would demand £68k per week, especially with current deal at £45.5k pw, and a reasonable squad status.

Graphics - skin is plain and fresh, but dark option in first patch is much appreciated.

Player Chat - players seem unwilling to listen. new signing emiliano martinez was angry at me dropping him into under 18's when he arrived, despite the fact he is very young, and not up to the standard of my other goalkeepers, and in fact there was no option to tell him there are 5 keepers ahead of him, or that under 18 is his level, is available. In fact even as a pre-arranged deal he should not come into first team when he arrives due to his clear lack of age and talent. Vermaelen, Fabregas & denilson have a poor opinion of me, simply for asking them to take a new PPM - again I cannot see this is a fair reflection, or that the players in question would be quite so dismissive.

Archived