Oliver & Paul Collyer - M.B.E.s

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

As you can imagine, Ov & Paul are somewhat overwhelmed with the response, so I'd like to thank you all for your lovely comments on their behalf - I would have done it sooner, but my net connection is down from home (you cannot believe what I went through last night to get the announcement up here!) so I've come into the studio to respond :)

Just noticed there's an OBE in the honours list to someone for services to the computer gaming industry. A Paul Jackson? No idea who he is though.

Good to see our favourite past-time is getting more recognition.

Paul Jackson worked at EA for years, but was also the chair of ELSPA, BAFTA and has been involved in lots of other games industry iniatives.

A few others from the industry have got awards over the years - Peter Molyneaux (Bullfrog/Lionhead), the Darling Brothers (Codemasters) and some from publishers.

Does Paul get a bigger medal seeing as Ov went on holiday for a big part of it? :)

Paul also had his fair share of time off - trying to be a rock star in the early CM days (he was in a band called Elevate) - so no, they get the same size medal...

I had no idea about this until I read this thread. What can I say apart from congratulations, it is very well deserved and I would never had as much fun gaming if it were not for you two. I hope you have a fantastic 2010 and enjoy the day with her majesty.

Title should be M.B.E.s, should it not? They aren't belonging to a Member of the British Empire.

Alternatively, "Paul and Oliver Collyer are M.B.E.s", "The M.B.E.s of Oliver and Paul Collyer", "Paul and Oliver Collyer's M.B.E.s".

Can't get the grammatically correct titles these days ;) And yeah, at least one of my suggestions is probably flawed.

I guess it was a matter of either kicking them out of the country for ruining so many people's lives (especially our academic performance and our sentimental relationships) or giving them this award for giving us countless hours of fun and enjoyment for years.

I'm glad they chose the latter ;)

Congratulations guys, I guess everything's too surprising right now, but in some days time you'll probably realize it's amazing how far you've come by achieving this. And I believe you truly deserve it.

I don't even want to imagine what kind of new year's eve party you're gonna have tonight :D

Congratulations. Best game(s) ever.

We may see a lot of moaning on the board but that's only 'cause people feel compelled to come on and say so when something goes wrong. It doesn't stop it being the best game of all time.

Great stuff. Well done again.

Archived