Miles Jacobson

Oliver & Paul Collyer - M.B.E.s

375 posts in this topic

As you can imagine, Ov & Paul are somewhat overwhelmed with the response, so I'd like to thank you all for your lovely comments on their behalf - I would have done it sooner, but my net connection is down from home (you cannot believe what I went through last night to get the announcement up here!) so I've come into the studio to respond :)

Just noticed there's an OBE in the honours list to someone for services to the computer gaming industry. A Paul Jackson? No idea who he is though.

Good to see our favourite past-time is getting more recognition.

Paul Jackson worked at EA for years, but was also the chair of ELSPA, BAFTA and has been involved in lots of other games industry iniatives.

A few others from the industry have got awards over the years - Peter Molyneaux (Bullfrog/Lionhead), the Darling Brothers (Codemasters) and some from publishers.

Does Paul get a bigger medal seeing as Ov went on holiday for a big part of it? :)

Paul also had his fair share of time off - trying to be a rock star in the early CM days (he was in a band called Elevate) - so no, they get the same size medal...

well done congratulations on your mbe's and for recognizing your hardwork

Fantastic - and well deserved. For the gameplay you have offered the world in the Championship Manager and Football Manager Series it is long, long overdue. Well Done Guys :)

Is it true that they were due an mbe 2 years ago but they had that date put back a bit a la fml style?

Seriously, well done lads, in the days of death for many industries in the uk you two have been big players in uk games development.

Nice one lads. Well deserved for sure. You have created many a tactical genius around the world.

Many congratulations guys!!! :thup:

I've had many years of enjoyment playing this game, long may it continue!

Bastards! I thought it was me this year :( Just Kidding. :D

Congratulations to both of you. What a way to see the New Year in!! From everyone in the almost dead Papin GW CONGRATS!! :D

I had no idea about this until I read this thread. What can I say apart from congratulations, it is very well deserved and I would never had as much fun gaming if it were not for you two. I hope you have a fantastic 2010 and enjoy the day with her majesty.

It great that they have been given recognition as they have probably given most of us a good few day/months playing this game, with each version

So congrats to both of you :thup:.

Only just noticed this, well done Paul-liver, Queenie obviously a fan, I hear she plays LLM but checks the Good Player Forum, someone have a word!! :thup:

Just read about this on the BBC Tech website, congrats Ov & Paul :thup:

wow first Patrick Stewart and now you guys...

I believe its the first time ive agreed with the honours list in years..... congrats chaps, couldnt have happened to a more deserving pair

Title should be M.B.E.s, should it not? They aren't belonging to a Member of the British Empire.

Alternatively, "Paul and Oliver Collyer are M.B.E.s", "The M.B.E.s of Oliver and Paul Collyer", "Paul and Oliver Collyer's M.B.E.s".

Can't get the grammatically correct titles these days ;) And yeah, at least one of my suggestions is probably flawed.

Cracking way to end any year :thup:

Very much deserved, biggest congratulations!

credit where credit is due.....

Congratulations to you both guys.Please make me beta tester:)

I guess it was a matter of either kicking them out of the country for ruining so many people's lives (especially our academic performance and our sentimental relationships) or giving them this award for giving us countless hours of fun and enjoyment for years.

I'm glad they chose the latter ;)

Congratulations guys, I guess everything's too surprising right now, but in some days time you'll probably realize it's amazing how far you've come by achieving this. And I believe you truly deserve it.

I don't even want to imagine what kind of new year's eve party you're gonna have tonight :D

Well done lads!

Do you think when you pick up the medals you can ask her what her favourite formation is? And has she edited Old Phil into the game?

Brilliant. This is just what the honours list should be for. Congratulations to you both.

many congratualtions, hard to believe i've spent nearly 20yrs of my life playing the games you guys are involved in - well deserved!

Congratulations. Best game(s) ever.

We may see a lot of moaning on the board but that's only 'cause people feel compelled to come on and say so when something goes wrong. It doesn't stop it being the best game of all time.

Great stuff. Well done again.

Congratulations to both. Well deserved considering the joy CM and FM has brought me over the last few years.

That is wonderful news and very much well deserved. Congratulations to Paul & Oliver, this news has made me really happy. Well done to you both!

Congratulations but most of all I would like to say thanks lads for creating a large part of my life. Much thanks :D

Congratulations for the MBE's, thank you for the games and damn you both for the hours I've played :D.