Football Manager 2009 - Arsenal edition

As an Arsenal and long time fan of CM/FM, I am slightly confuddled about this release.

Personally I would pay £5 or something for an official prem league skin,face, stadium pack. or whatever league etc etc.

but the base of the game is still FM09.

but like having a mobile phone and adding the bolt ons.

I am not sure for example how successful this can be, I can see from a marketing point of view having a game in the shops to an enormous fan base is a good thing.

my only comment is that a friend of mine who works for EA said that they did a fifa arsenal version and it died a death.

personally I would of approached it differently, paying arsenal rights to use logo's etc etc or giving them a royalty off each sale and then introducing a web base selling site to SI.

infact and this may be worth looking at Miles ( you can always talk to me about a job later ! ) I know you may be contractually bound to Sega, but with the dixon group looking a bit ropey, and comet also, infact alot of the high street that could go tits up in Jan, I know this from our retailing experience, maybe its time SI branched out on their own, I have always wondered why you actually need sega or any other company before, cut them out and I think you will find you could reap bigger rewards as they probably get the lions share of the profit ! you have the website, it just needs an E-commerce section !

feel free to mail me,

Dan

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Understand that. Not having a pop at the concept - I'm sure there are loads of Arsenal fans out there who will buy it. It's not SI's decision to make a club specific version I dont understand - it is the idea of gamers who want to spend all their career at one club. I'm a Newcastle fan but if I was managing Newcastle and Ajax, or Milan, or Barca etc etc came in for me I would be out of St James' like a shot - that's the beauty of the game - the whole career building aspect...well, for me....horses for courses though....

I am a massive Arsenal fan, hence my screen name, and I think this is a good idea to bring in some new customers. I already have the game, so most likely won't be purchasing this.

Arsenal are amazing in real life at our best. On fm 09, I do agree that maybe Arsenal shouldn't be as good as they are, and are a tiny bit overated. However, Arsenal in fm 09 is a represenatation of the inevitability that lies ahead in the next few years for Arsenal in real life.

We should definatly be up there with Chelsea and Man Utd every season. I came 3rd with Arsenal on my first season lol...I guess i'm not as good as the ledgendary Arsene Wenger.

no wonder arsenal are so over rated then ;);)

Much too late, that came up about 100 posts ago...

I am a massive Arsenal fan, hence my screen name, and I think this is a good idea to bring in some new customers. I already have the game, so most likely won't be purchasing this.

Arsenal are amazing in real life at our best. On fm 09, I do agree that maybe Arsenal shouldn't be as good as they are, and are a tiny bit overated. However, Arsenal in fm 09 is a represenatation of the inevitability that lies ahead in the next few years for Arsenal in real life.

We should definatly be up there with Chelsea and Man Utd every season. I came 3rd with Arsenal on my first season lol...I guess i'm not as good as the ledgendary Arsene Wenger.

Welcome to the forums, but thats not really on-topic. Post in the 'Football Forum' to talk about Arsenal, this thread is just for discussing the Arsenal version of FM09:thup:

Are there any ideas in the pipeline to introduce microtransactions for any of the content? Some of the people who have already bought the game could then download the official content (say via FMClub) at a price that doesn't include the full price yet again.

I don't really see the idea of this. The skin, logo and images doesn't really change anything, and I'm afraid that other clubs/organizations might be put off by the "favouritism" of Arsenal and give SI problems with the licensing. The fact that the changed are so insignificant, means that this really seems like a waste of effort.

Of course, if this is a very limited edition, taking no time and resources for SI, it may not do so much harm either. I can see the idea, but in reality it doesn't make much sense. I guess SI are making a step towards a different way of marketing the game, where we might see several different edition of the game in the future. I guess there might be some sense in that, but it really doesn't seem to add much to the game. I'm glad about Arsenal's cooperation in this, though.

And I guess this exxplains why the Arsenal players are so good in the game :p

come on guys why does everyone always slag off something that is new

ok, so miles is just trying to expand his customer base - i see nothing wrong with that after all that is what business is all about

but miles is there ever gonna be a J-League or is that something out of the picture atm? i'm happy with the general leagues atm and there is a heap of choices but i'm desperate to manage in japan :)

You English blokes are lucky. We in Holland are dying to see a club version of any game, be it Fifa, PES or FM.

I can see why there isn't any though, the Dutch Footy market probably isn't big enough. Let alone the market for special club editions. Although I think a Feyenoord or Ajax edition wouldn't sell badly.

What seemed at the start to be excellent business sense from SI with the way they marketed the game and deals they struck with companies etc is slowly starting to look like they are selling out. I wonder just how far this will go.

Fair play to them for doing it, i have no problem with them doing it, its just unfortunate to see in my opinion that they lasted this long without doing it but have finally caved in to the man.

• SI Staff
i really hope that the deal doesnt affect anything and fm dont sell out. heres hoping fm stay on the right track.

Sell out to what? A lot of games have special editions linked to various things. Sure I read that PES have a Liverpool version or something like that.

Now that the posting frenzy has ended - despite the fact, that I am a Liverpool fan - I would like to congratulate S.I. for making this deal with Arsenal. It would be glad to see other editions of course, but after having no license for Premier Leagues clubs since the restart of FM series I think it is a huge surprise and very positive response for all the work. Congratulations!

So is this just the exact same FM09 that everyone else has? Only with pictures of Arsenal is which you could quite easily get from the editors forum?

Sorry I dont mean to be negative but I dont really see the point in this. If you care so much that Arsenal has its pictures the presumably you would want the rest of the players in the premiership to have that too. Therefore you still have to go to the editors forum to get the premiership pack which would have included Arsenal anyway?!

Plus I bet this wont drop in price anywhere nearly as quickly as the original FM09

where do you find the editors forum

i really don't get the anger about this. the only slight worry would be that clubs would force SI to shut out the skinners/modders (i know if i worked for a club that was putting out an exclusive version, one of the first things i'd want to make sure is that there aren't any free unofficial <insert club name> skins out there, and no way for there to be). but Miles (or another SI guy - sorry, on the previous page) already said that won't happen, so what's all the fuss over?

arsenal are overrated? well, my Sunderland side beat them in each of our three games in the first season so i don't get that myself, but it happens every year. every single version of FM has at least a couple of teams that are vastly overrated - these kind of things slip through the net when you're dealing with thousands of clubs and players and differing ideas amongst a vast array of (sometimes) partizan researchers. there's a free editor provided if you don't agree with some of the ratings (i know the first thing i do is "fix" my own team, Kilmarnock, cos there is always at least a couple of mistakes that stand out to me).

and i know there will never be a special version of FM for my own team, but that doesn't mean i'm going to get annoyed. the game is just the same whether it has a different cover or fancy new skin. of all the things to get heated over, this isn't one of them. but if i was an Arsenal fan, and a FM player, then i'd really like this version - though i agree that releasing it now is a bit late. but they might pick up a few new fans, and widening the FM fanbase is always a good thing cos it ensures that there will be an SI to keep putting out the world's best football management game at a time when even some of the big games studios are beginning to tighten belts and shave budgets.

No, there are plenty of people who are able to offer balanced views.

Here goes...

I fail to understand why people seem to be so adversed to an Arsenal branded version. It's not replacing the existing version, nobody is forced to buy this. It's not even that surprising. Eventually it was going to happen.

Simple answer, if you don't like it don't buy it. If it doesn't sell then SI won't repeat it next year, if it does sell, all the naysayers were wrong. The only people who could complain legitimately are Arsenal fans who bought the original release. Haven't seen them complaining yet...:cool:

Here goes...

I fail to understand why people seem to be so adversed to an Arsenal branded version. It's not replacing the existing version, nobody is forced to buy this. It's not even that surprising. Eventually it was going to happen.

Simple answer, if you don't like it don't buy it. If it doesn't sell then SI won't repeat it next year, if it does sell, all the naysayers were wrong. The only people who could complain legitimately are Arsenal fans who bought the original release. Haven't seen them complaining yet...:cool:

Well, I am an Arsenal fan who has already bought the game, and I am deeply unhap....

Question to SI/SEGA, is this costing you anything in licensing?

I agree with others who have suggested SI make this downloadable content, just for this or subsequent FM09 editions. You'll no doubt recoup some of your liscensing fees by reqesting a fiver, and I'm sure you'd sell a few...

And that would be the way to go for FM10 as well, if y'all don't want to have to do up each team you manage to work a deal with in time for release day...

I'm an Arsenal supporter but I have absolutely no interest in this game since I bought the original last month and I don't see the point of buying an additional copy of the same game.

However, I would have been interested if this game was released the same day as the original was. So my question is, in the future will special editions like this be released at the same time of the game rather than a month later?

I'm an Arsenal supporter but I have absolutely no interest in this game since I bought the original last month and I don't see the point of buying an additional copy of the same game.

However, I would have been interested if this game was released the same day as the original was. So my question is, in the future will special editions like this be released at the same time of the game rather than a month later?

(Hi Tubz A-Lander?) I agree - SI/Arsenal will be missing a trick if they don't have a patch with the skins etc available for those who'd already purchased the game.

If I was a Arsenal Fan and have some extra cash to burn on games/movies/etc... why not spend another 30pounds on a product which would represent my fav club and my fav game franchise in a classy shape. I dont think this will play any better than original game( well maybe Arsenal squad has some build-in strenghts such as sometimes they can play with 12 guys or their goalie can have 3 hands...on second thought no not really) but this being said, unless you are broke or you born to hate Arsenal, this is a decent fan product. I know people buying lots of overpriced crap just to see their team logo on them so why not FM :) besides it is not a crap.

• 4 months later...
Just bought this does anyone know if the normal update patches apply to the Arsenal game? When searching for the update it stated "no version upgrade required.

They should do. Just download the patch installer here and see how it goes. You didn't install through steam, did you?

Archived