Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, timtim11 said:

Am I missing something or is the data update not that upto date.  An example is Oliver Glasner at Crystal Palace and no Jim Ratcliffe at Man Utd.   These were over a month ago.

they will be in the final update it would of missed there data lock sir jim ratcliffe at man united didnt become official till 20th feb and oliver glasner at crystal palace was late feb 

13 hours ago, RDF Tactics said:

You're not.

Would would be the reason for using an IWB? That would've be to invert right? So lets saying you're playing a 4231, would you rather than one of your IWB to sit on top of one of your DMs? lol

You must understand positional play. It's a tactical principle to help you progress, create advantages etc...It's not style of play. Essentially, you want players to take up certain positions on the pitch. But it's a system (creating 2-3-5s, 2-3-5 etc). It's not exactly a style of play. Let's say you want 2 DMs at ALL times to progress, and build in a 2-3-5, but you're using a 4-3-3. You can use a Libero or IWB to ensure you have those 2DMs. So, well yeah, you will be forced to play positional play IF that is what you want.

If using a B2B, expect him to move into AM because you know, he's attempting to go from box to box.

It's odd that a great thing FM introduced is also now being criticised. Imo, it's redefined roles. Made them better. When I picture my IWB, I know now the ME will replicate that. But now also they won't start bumping into each other, because that's silly. My DM will now recognise the IWB is in DM so will shift over a little bit. That is such a welcomed addition.

You can soak up pressure even by using a B2B. He won't be in AM when you're defending lol but if you want to counter, he will move into AM to support your counterattacks. But, the way you have set your system up, it doesn't then mean you're implementing positional play as such because you're not exactly using it as a tool to create a certain system shape or to help you gain advantages to progress etc. You just want your B2B to support attacks. Like a CMa would. Doesn't make the system positional play

To reiterate what he said. The positional play feature requires an understanding of how roles and duties affect buildouts. An appreciation of how systems build-out will then give some an understanding of how their systems are vulnerable.

I’ve read that positional play forces people to play attacking football when the reverse is also possible. I’ve made low block 523s that sit back soak and create issues for opposition. And, since I understand how positional play can affect the movement of some roles it’s fairly easy for me to defend well and win. Some styles are very easy to play on high block, possession systems being one easy example. Mid and low blocks are also viable, they are certainly more challenging because setting your Rest Attack is critical when playing low blocks. Get it wrong and those few chances you get on the counter are wasted.

FM24 has certainly moved on from previous editions, forcing one to have an appreciation of how the AI makes in game tweaks that can flip their formations. If you are the sort that NEVER tweaks or adapts then you might struggle defensively when the AI changes in the last moments of the game looking for a winner or equaliser. Changing your mentality isn’t a tweak; a role, duty change and perhaps one of the other TI changes is a tweak.

I’ve had some of the most entertaining games on FM24 that I’ve ever had on the FM franchise because previous editions were simply cut and paste tactic games, requiring little to no effort. The positional play feature took the franchise to a new mode of difficulty.

Yes there are some match engine issues in the game, but at least the AI has the same issues.

3 hours ago, Rashidi said:

I've had some of the most entertaining games on FM24 that I’ve ever had on the FM franchise because previous editions were simply cut and paste tactic games, requiring little to no effort. The positional play feature took the franchise to a new mode of difficulty.

Yes there are some match engine issues in the game, but at least the AI has the same issues.

This has also been my experience.

I found FM23 and prior versions of the game to be copy and paste a successful tactic from one club to the next from one save to the next because doing anything else was frustrating and pointless.

Lower league: 4-2-4 geggenpress

Top club: 4-2-3-1 geggenpress

Were the only two tactics I ever really bothered with.

In FM24 I've played all sorts of different tactical styles and shapes because the new positional rotations mean I've been able to create the attacking and defensive shapes I've wanted, which were basically impossible in FM23.

On 02/03/2024 at 20:13, wazzaflow10 said:

Luke Littler right on cue then.

Thats not football though , i mean people say it isnt scripted in favour of the AI but it is always has been its why SI dont get anymore money from me  not paying for a new wall paper every year when the game is unplayable year after year ,oooh look we added this ooooh look we added that , yes but my world class striker cant hit a cows backside with a banjo , every AI keeper turns into pat jennings peter shilton  and david seaman as one , ooooh look arsenal want my 90 million forward with a 145 million release fee lets offer 59 million for him , you want my 1 million rated defender that will be 28 million please , you offered me 25k a week im not taking that i will move to league 1 charlton for 500k and 2k a week just to show you.you world class defence gets beat by xg 0.4 every game your world class attack needs a Xg of 3.00 every game just to scrape a point , oh and this post will be deleted by a mod because SI wont allow people to call the game on here 

5 hours ago, steviemay17 said:

Havent played much since release so giving it a go now, is it normal to have an unholy amount of goals going on in the division?

image.thumb.png.0d3b74e34c88635f5046483fac68d195.png

Seems pretty spot-on to me.

Last season in SPL, Celtic scored 114 which is more than the 92 in your game. Rangers also scored more IRL than in your save.

The 12th-place team conceded 74 in your game. Dundee United conceded 70 IRL.

Just looking at the two tables - I think your save actually did very well in simulating IRL results in SPL. Down to the point difference between 2nd and 3rd. Goals conceded between 2nd and 3rd is quite significant, another thing FM managed to simulate well.

image.png.901aed33b64e357ec37a0a8b83b0bd95.png

26 minutes ago, andu1 said:

I've seen AI use IWB's in 4-2-3-1 all the time. Never seen them use libero, maybe it's disabled for AI.

AI use Libero in my save but we have to realise how much of a risky role it is. It potentially leaves a gap in CB.

I wouldn't say the AI should be using that role often. Pep and a handful of others but IWB should be used more in general by the AI in my opinion.

Because at least with IWB, they can act differently in different 4231 systems. For example, one AI coach may be using him on attack making underlapping runs. Another could actually still be using an overlap instruction with an IWB and that automatically will get the two to play differently so you're not up against the same system all the time.

Even down to the roles they are using in front of the IWB. If using an IF, the IWB will behave differently when a W is in front of him. With a W, his only real option when getting forward will be to underlap. But with IF, if the IWB recognise there's no width, they will still act like a traditional FB from time to time.

45 minutes ago, Bielsa1975 said:

Thats not football though , i mean people say it isnt scripted in favour of the AI but it is always has been its why SI dont get anymore money from me  not paying for a new wall paper every year when the game is unplayable year after year ,oooh look we added this ooooh look we added that , yes but my world class striker cant hit a cows backside with a banjo , every AI keeper turns into pat jennings peter shilton  and david seaman as one , ooooh look arsenal want my 90 million forward with a 145 million release fee lets offer 59 million for him , you want my 1 million rated defender that will be 28 million please , you offered me 25k a week im not taking that i will move to league 1 charlton for 500k and 2k a week just to show you.you world class defence gets beat by xg 0.4 every game your world class attack needs a Xg of 3.00 every game just to scrape a point , oh and this post will be deleted by a mod because SI wont allow people to call the game on here 

This is where the confusion lies. Or people are saying things just for the sake of saying things?

- If your world-class striker can't hit a cow's backside with a banjo then unfortunately and I hate being that guy, but that's on you and your tactic. Strikers are the main scores in FM24 (unless you create a system where they're not the main threat) and if you create a system suited for your WC striker, then they can be very effective. Tactically, some people may need to be more careful with roles/instructions. Example, if playing 2 AFs and a SS, that's 3 players moving into the channels. Are too many players trying to attack the same channel therefore effecting the movement of one of your strikers?

- AI keepers do have great games. On the flip side, if they didn't, you will be here complaining that you're scoring 5/6 goals every game. Challenge yourself to create more Clear Cut and Half Chances. Some people (me included) complain AI keeper playing too good but when I look, from their 20 shots, they took 14 long shots. If a keeper saves about 7 of your long shots, it will give him a good rating because he's stopping the ball from going into his net.

- If Arsenal are trying to lowball you, set a price and instruct your DOF to reject any offers below that. Sort a simple solution to that. If your player gets upset (admittedly, this is where game and interactions can improve), you tell him that Arsenal didn't offer enough and then tell your player how much they should pay. If the player is still upset, that's the challenge. It's not supposed to be that your player accepts that reason every time. Part of the challenge in FM is being able to keep your squad dynamics up. The game will throw curve balls, as it should.

- World Class defences IRL always concede to low xG moments. To show how frequent that is, here is yesterday's Man City vs Man Utd. Rashford goal was at what xG? Lower than 0.4 but, Man City managed to concede that goal and it being the ONLY shot on target for United.

Spoiler

image.png.7bf9142e079ddaf03886f4764479f29a.png

- You can accumulate a high xG if you take 30 shots. That doesn't mean that in fact you created great chances. Many people do that here - complain they had an high xG but took sooo many shots. Often, you're showing how often you create bad scoring chances.

As always, you can upload your findings and not just words. Your words that just complain don't help anyone and looks like you're just taking an opportunity to criticise because others are. 

45 minutes ago, Bielsa1975 said:

oh and this post will be deleted by a mod because SI wont allow people to call the game on here 

Some play this victim card when if they just read what they're typing, it would become obvious as to why certain comments are removed.

If you want support for your criticism from others then this isn't the way to go about it.

Edited by RDF Tactics

I find it funny that some people think the game somehow favors the AI. Based on what I have seen especially in the previous iterations of the game and how for example many YouTubers play the game, I would claim it's quite the opposite if anything. Making everything wrong in terms of tactics, playing the game with key highlights, not reacting to anything during the matches, and still overachieving is what I mean.  I would say that AI Pep Guardiola's or Jürgen Klopp's selection of roles and duties have always been more sensible than the ones that many streamers have with their team and still the human players generally perform better.

For example, when playing with Chelsea, I seemed to always be on the 'lucky' side that many people here claim that the AI always is. Edging tight games into draws or even victories regularly. With Betis, I am currently on the other end but I am confident that this will change at some point.

One thing that I don't understand with these new versions is the fact that the game is now showing the opposition's selection of roles during matches. Don't like that at all. In my opinion, you should be able to detect these and the changes that the AI is doing based on heat maps and data. Seeing the opposition roles is too powerful tool for us to use.  

A lot of talk, as usual, has been around the long-term metagame - if you will - of FM24. One thing that continues to surprise me is the fact that there's a bug, which I've reported since 2022, and it was not resolved in the newest patch either. I mean sure, i don't know why i expected it now, given how long it's been ignored, but i gave it a shot when the patch came.

The bug in question is that b- and u- team managers don't schedule friendlies even if you tell them to. Now, if this applies to CPU teams as well, it will have a massive knock-on effect on the match fitness of young and especially fringe players, which probably means they won't be selected as often, and that in turn means they will not develop properly.

Given the possibility that it has a huge effect on the long-term game, i'm really quite surprised that there's not been a fix for a couple of versions now. And for a dabbling programmer, it seems as this should be comparatively trivial to implement, but i grant you that if that were the case it probably would've been fixed.

The feedback? Well, if a bug exists for literal years, and is pretty large in scope in terms of affecting long-term saves, maybe a "Dunno mate, don't know if it can be done" tag in the bug tracker should be added, just so the people reporting the bug now that somethings happening, even if there's not a fix. And maybe, with unity, we could even send bug reports straight from the game. Although, given the amount of incessant crying about a guy hitting a woodwork once... maybe the bug reports should have a slight barrier of entry.

But oh well, here's hoping for next year. Really happy that the game is on Game Pass, so i didn't lose money on '23 or '24. 

10 minutes ago, XaW said:

Personally I still really like this match engine. I see some wonderful goals, and I see my tactical changes actually happen in the match. Got few amazing ones the last few days.

Same here. I'm probably not the right person to say this as I have missed a few editions of the game between but for me this is the best FM since 2013. And the more I lose games the more I like the game. 

9 minutes ago, Litmanen 10 said:

I find it funny that some people think the game somehow favors the AI

I just had this happen, and I'm the away team...

image.png.83b5910921aa45b75b6e42601674b04c.png

Sure, you can argue I got two pens against me, but I mean, we still won it.

4 minutes ago, Litmanen 10 said:

Same here. I'm probably not the right person to say this as I have missed a few editions of the game between but for me this is the best FM since 2013. And the more I lose games the more I like the game. 

I've, not surprisingly perhaps, played every version, and I don't think I've ever felt the game have gotten objectively worse. Now, that's not to say my enjoyment haven't been up and down at times, but looking at it without personal preference I think it gets better every version. While I don't agree with all choice made on the game, my main points are the match engine and how the game works long term. By the latter I mean how the game world look 5, 10, 20, 30 etc years in. And while it has had ups and downs there too, the longevity saves now really feel natural and with much more balanced squads than before. Perfect? No, far from it, but better.

I still maintain there is a big open gap in the game with immersion into what I as the manager are shown by the game. I've posted before a bunch of bulletpoints to what I think would be a better way of letting us users more neatly select what we want to see in the game to immerse ourselves into the world being built around us and out career. Because this in a thing I like about FM that is perhaps under-communicated, I'm not the main character of FM. I'm just another manager looking to make a name for myself in football. The few real non-diegetic part of the game I can control directly is the database setup and when time progress (unless I use the editor or like, but that's another story). If I chose to resign from my job and not get a job, I'm allowed to do so, the game doesn't force "events" to me if I don't look for it. I'm not the saviour of the world, or the chose one in any way, I'm just another guy in the universe of FM. And as such I'd like to be able to further customize how I experience the world that is happening. That's also why I posted that list in the suggestions forum, that kind of outlines who I would be able to do so to fit my needs. Others will have their own way of playing, and that's why I want that to be optional somehow.

Anyway, enough of my ranting, but this is feedback after all! :D 

53 minutes ago, MikaV84 said:

A lot of talk, as usual, has been around the long-term metagame - if you will - of FM24. One thing that continues to surprise me is the fact that there's a bug, which I've reported since 2022, and it was not resolved in the newest patch either. I mean sure, i don't know why i expected it now, given how long it's been ignored, but i gave it a shot when the patch came.

The bug in question is that b- and u- team managers don't schedule friendlies even if you tell them to. Now, if this applies to CPU teams as well, it will have a massive knock-on effect on the match fitness of young and especially fringe players, which probably means they won't be selected as often, and that in turn means they will not develop properly.

Given the possibility that it has a huge effect on the long-term game, i'm really quite surprised that there's not been a fix for a couple of versions now. And for a dabbling programmer, it seems as this should be comparatively trivial to implement, but i grant you that if that were the case it probably would've been fixed.

The feedback? Well, if a bug exists for literal years, and is pretty large in scope in terms of affecting long-term saves, maybe a "Dunno mate, don't know if it can be done" tag in the bug tracker should be added, just so the people reporting the bug now that somethings happening, even if there's not a fix. And maybe, with unity, we could even send bug reports straight from the game. Although, given the amount of incessant crying about a guy hitting a woodwork once... maybe the bug reports should have a slight barrier of entry.

But oh well, here's hoping for next year. Really happy that the game is on Game Pass, so i didn't lose money on '23 or '24. 

My youth managers are scheduling plenty of friendlies. Granted they are not always at useful times for me to take advantage of but they're definitely being scheduled.

1 hour ago, Litmanen 10 said:

One thing that I don't understand with these new versions is the fact that the game is now showing the opposition's selection of roles during matches. Don't like that at all. In my opinion, you should be able to detect these and the changes that the AI is doing based on heat maps and data. Seeing the opposition roles is too powerful tool for us to use.  

This is the only thing I disagree with about your comment. Only because clubs IRL have analyst who work on live matches feeding the manager the same thing the game feeds us.

By HT or even half way through the first half of a match IRL, managers are able to make tweaks based off the information given from their analyst. They’ll be able to spot things (not everything).

and then in FM, don’t quote me on this though, the roles we see aren’t always correct. In my current save, the roles keep switching as if our analyst isn’t exactly sure and somewhat guessing.

and by removing it and saying players should detect that, basically you’re saying we should all play the same way. Extended or comprehensive highlights.

Now, we have to understand people play the game differently. Some don’t have the time to even play games like that. Spending 30mins on each match, closely analysing your opponent’s.

FM have many different player types. Getting everyone to play in the same way would take away so much what people love about FM in the first place. Plus, analyst is totally a thing IRL.

Thats just speaking from experience. I was a performance analyst at Cheltenham Town Ladies and my job exactly was to feed that information during games “we need our RW to make runs between their full back and CB. Their FB loves to attack and doesn’t get back in position quick enough” . It’ll then be down to the manager if he wants or can make that tweak.

edit: actually, maybe having the option to have AI player roles visible can be added in preferences/options? 

Allowing FM players to make the game even more tailored for them 

Edited by RDF Tactics

11 minutes ago, Litmanen 10 said:

If the opposition roles that we see indeed aren't necessarily correct and are based on your analyst's view of things, this makes more sense. 

I think RDF is correct here, since it doesn't show at the start of the game, only after a while into the game. So I think it's ment to simulate them working it out. About it switching though, I always thought that as the AI changing things up, but I could also be wrong...

Yeah don’t quote me on that, though. It only me guessing as I’ve noticed in particular games AI roles changing like from a mezzala to B2B but I see multiple roles changing so I just assume your analyst is trying to work out the opposition 

2 minutes ago, XaW said:

I think RDF is correct here, since it doesn't show at the start of the game, only after a while into the game. So I think it's ment to simulate them working it out. About it switching though, I always thought that as the AI changing things up, but I could also be wrong...

It could be a bit of both!

I do remember some people mentioning that when AI get a man sent off, some of the roles don’t make sense like having IF in attacking midfield position, but could just because the analyst won’t know instantly what role the player is playing so it just stays on the role the player was on last.

2 hours ago, RDF Tactics said:

This is where the confusion lies. Or people are saying things just for the sake of saying things?

- If your world-class striker can't hit a cow's backside with a banjo then unfortunately and I hate being that guy, but that's on you and your tactic. Strikers are the main scores in FM24 (unless you create a system where they're not the main threat) and if you create a system suited for your WC striker, then they can be very effective. Tactically, some people may need to be more careful with roles/instructions. Example, if playing 2 AFs and a SS, that's 3 players moving into the channels. Are too many players trying to attack the same channel therefore effecting the movement of one of your strikers?

- AI keepers do have great games. On the flip side, if they didn't, you will be here complaining that you're scoring 5/6 goals every game. Challenge yourself to create more Clear Cut and Half Chances. Some people (me included) complain AI keeper playing too good but when I look, from their 20 shots, they took 14 long shots. If a keeper saves about 7 of your long shots, it will give him a good rating because he's stopping the ball from going into his net.

- If Arsenal are trying to lowball you, set a price and instruct your DOF to reject any offers below that. Sort a simple solution to that. If your player gets upset (admittedly, this is where game and interactions can improve), you tell him that Arsenal didn't offer enough and then tell your player how much they should pay. If the player is still upset, that's the challenge. It's not supposed to be that your player accepts that reason every time. Part of the challenge in FM is being able to keep your squad dynamics up. The game will throw curve balls, as it should.

- World Class defences IRL always concede to low xG moments. To show how frequent that is, here is yesterday's Man City vs Man Utd. Rashford goal was at what xG? Lower than 0.4 but, Man City managed to concede that goal and it being the ONLY shot on target for United.

Reveal hidden contents

- You can accumulate a high xG if you take 30 shots. That doesn't mean that in fact you created great chances. Many people do that here - complain they had an high xG but took sooo many shots. Often, you're showing how often you create bad scoring chances.

As always, you can upload your findings and not just words. Your words that just complain don't help anyone and looks like you're just taking an opportunity to criticise because others are. 

Some play this victim card when if they just read what they're typing, it would become obvious as to why certain comments are removed.

If you want support for your criticism from others then this isn't the way to go about it.

This is a brilliant take,I think the game needs a lot of improvement especially interactions and UI but at the same time lots of people complain simply because things don't go their way.

Setting up your striker as a complete forward doesn't mean he'll act complete and shoot more.Is he getting enough service?Is he familiar with the role?did you train him enough to be comfortable in the role?what is his quality and the quality of the opposition he's facing.

The game and football in general is all about balance. Having two ball playing defenders doesn't mean you will play like pep and have 70+ possession.They will take lots of risks and maybe lead to too many turnovers and if your team isn't good in ball recovery maybe you'll have the 30 possession.

People say pep is the best attacking coach but he's actually so defensive minded that's why he likes to always have the ball and make those extra passes to make sure the team is compact in the case of a turnover.You seen him yell at players when they make a successful attacking transition.attacking is not about verticality it's about finding the right structure,overloads, quality and decisions etc.When I play top teams and fullbacks all of my wingers have AP(s) and they are pretty fast.Why? because I recognize I need to take less risks in possession and avoid unnecessary turnovers.

People change their tactics game to game I mean don't you see Chelsea, motivate your players work on their tactical familiarity on the training ground,Find balance in your team and watch as things don't always go your way because that is football. Again passing through the centre means you'd lose the ball there and be open for a quick transition.Football is all about action and reaction. 

This isn't a perfect simulation by any means guys but it does a good job of depicting real football if we are all being honest here.

5 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

Well after yet more problems with Steam I've reinstalled FM23. I'll never buy again from these sorts of places, it's a proper package for me from now on.

Good luck with that.  The "proper package" will only provide you with a key to load into Steam.

18 minutes ago, XaW said:

Then it makes a perfect sense. I stand corrected. 

1 minute ago, Footix said:

@XaW Completely OT, but ... heia Follo! :D 

Indeed! They are my local team after all! :D 

Match engine is really bad not sure what they've done so slow and predictable 

REALLY REALLY BORING

cant arrange friendlies with mls teams cant sell players at start of season no 1 will buy them

please fix the game

1 hour ago, Jack Joyce said:

AI managers can use the Libero role, but currently only if it's set as a preferred role by the researcher.

This is essentially how it's designed yeah, your staff are watching the match and feeding back to your on what roles the opposition are using.

We believe info like this is really important because where FM differs to real life quite significantly is, in FM you're watching highlights. If you're on key/extended highlights then you don't see the full picture like a real manager would, so you need a bit more information to fill in the blanks.

Does staff quality play into the accuracy of their feedback and what roles it shows they are playing?

• SI Staff
3 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Does staff quality play into the accuracy of their feedback and what roles it shows they are playing?

From what I remember it factors into the speed at which they're able to identify the roles the opposition are playing. So you'll be left in the dark for longer if your staff are worse.

5 hours ago, RDF Tactics said:

Seems pretty spot-on to me.

Last season in SPL, Celtic scored 114 which is more than the 92 in your game. Rangers also scored more IRL than in your save.

The 12th-place team conceded 74 in your game. Dundee United conceded 70 IRL.

Just looking at the two tables - I think your save actually did very well in simulating IRL results in SPL. Down to the point difference between 2nd and 3rd. Goals conceded between 2nd and 3rd is quite significant, another thing FM managed to simulate well.

image.png.901aed33b64e357ec37a0a8b83b0bd95.png

yes and no, the top and the bottom teams are similar, but there's quite a big leap from most off  the other teams in the bottom half being in the 50's or low 60's girl to then being in the mid 70's in game, that's 5 teams conceding an extra 15-20 goals each, irl the numbers are inflated by taking a hiding off the old firm teams 2 or three times a season, in my game everyone seems to be scoring a lot more and that's why most games are having so many goals, it just feels way too much for me.

Not sure if it's a league style thing though, also played a season in Portugal and the numbers outside of porto and benfica seemed much less so will need to play on a bit more and see I guess

3 hours ago, tropicsafc said:

My youth managers are scheduling plenty of friendlies. Granted they are not always at useful times for me to take advantage of but they're definitely being scheduled.

Yeah, for sure mate, didn't mean to imply it affects everyone. It does, however, affect lot of people, and is the sort of thing that is clear and present in the save files many people have uploaded. Not subjective, like many other things.

9 hours ago, Bielsa1975 said:

oh and this post will be deleted by a mod because SI wont allow people to call the game on here 

Nope, your post is still up. And I don't think you have a good post, far from it, I think it's hyperbolic and overall just a poor comment on what could be an important thing. But you don't swear and while I think you could have made a better impact by presenting your issue in a better way, I see no reason to remove it.

18 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Yep, excellent post. A few of us have been trying to say this for a while, but ultimately some of those who it would benefit most often get the most annoyed. 

This is where I'm also going to come back to @Jack Joyce.

Going into FM25 i think we need a glossary of FM terms, because as mentioned some of ways FM measures some statistics (Like OPPDA) aren't the aame as real life, which makese sense as its not exactly real life. But it does mean that context needs explaining more.

Also think a few footballing concepts are definitely worth putting in there, like a chapter on Positional Play, and a chapter on Rest Defence, as the two go hand in hand, and as game evolves, understanding transitions will be more snd more important. Almost like a bible. I dont think it should be play by play or hand holding, rather footballing concepts as delivered by FM.

Maybe one to pick your brain on in another forum, but (and this is based on what i see in GD and the tactics forum only, so this might be a narrow collection of view points) i dont think enough players either grasp, or have enough footballing knowledge, or perhaps some do, but they cant easily translate what they know about football to FM. Updating the manual and adding more holistic insights might be a great way to bridge it

On terms, one term I think with a major disconnect between FM and reality is the "playmaker". 

It feels, plays and is described in game more like a basketball term. One guy is always coming and looking for the ball to be the side's "main playmaker". This is not a thing in football. Even players like Pirlo or Messi or De Bruyne exist as part of a system. The behaviour of constantly being sucked toward the ball rather than playing in a system creates a lot of problems. 

Even if a true trequartista is played in real football (and It never is anymore), that player isn't just always coming toward the ball which is how the playmakers operate in FM. They'll be trying to find space in certain areas. This is where FM departs from reality in a big way. 

The only "playmaker" I can honestly think of was Baggio in Carlo Mazzone's Brescia. Mazzone loved him and Brescia's play when he was there was often "get the ball to Robi."

Overall, FMs language and applications confuse the hell out of me (and I've worked professionally  as a coach and analyst). I think what gets me the most is this intricate and fiddly link between passing length, mentality and roles. It's not something we explicitly do in reality. 

Edited by whatsupdoc

14 hours ago, Rashidi said:

when the AI changes in the last moments of the game looking for a winner or equaliser.

I struggle with this. Not because I'm not looking for it, but because I don't know what to look for. I'll get the notice from my AssMan about "They seem to be more attacking" and similar, but I'm sure you mean more than just this? What should I(we) be looking for the AI to do when they are trying to change the game?

Still getting my assistant manager insisting that I play players out of position for absolutely no reason. I promised Caicedo I'd rest him for the next game because he's exhausted and the assistant manager is now like 'you should play him as a central defender instead of one of the three fully fit, actual central defenders you have.' Absolutely brilliant.

Love this Alfie Devine wants a new contract with 3 years left of this, I said wait till the end of the season but decided ok he can have one as hes a star player. 

image.thumb.png.b373059df0859f666e3452c3025311d5.png

Speak to his agent who initially suggests it would be 275-325k which I say is too much.

His agent comes in with this demand:

image.png.208ee07390df20c7ad8d5fd1b003a2fd.png

With the new loyalty bonus its probably in total a little bit less over the whole term (so can see some logic in that he gets a contract till he is 32) , but really he should have accepted my offer of a new one at the end of the season as signing mid season loses the assist bonus he would have got plus 35k pw for 6 months and he'd get the same term.

I'll be accepting all my players demands at this rate!

4 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Yep, excellent post. A few of us have been trying to say this for a while, but ultimately some of those who it would benefit most often get the most annoyed. 

This is where I'm also going to come back to @Jack Joyce.

Going into FM25 i think we need a glossary of FM terms, because as mentioned some of ways FM measures some statistics (Like OPPDA) aren't the aame as real life, which makese sense as its not exactly real life. But it does mean that context needs explaining more.

Also think a few footballing concepts are definitely worth putting in there, like a chapter on Positional Play, and a chapter on Rest Defence, as the two go hand in hand, and as game evolves, understanding transitions will be more snd more important. Almost like a bible. I dont think it should be play by play or hand holding, rather footballing concepts as delivered by FM.

Maybe one to pick your brain on in another forum, but (and this is based on what i see in GD and the tactics forum only, so this might be a narrow collection of view points) i dont think enough players either grasp, or have enough footballing knowledge, or perhaps some do, but they cant easily translate what they know about football to FM. Updating the manual and adding more holistic insights might be a great way to bridge it

The glossary you mention, if implemented correctly, would be immensely helpful. There is a big gap between what a player would like to organise his team to do and what buttons require pressing in order to arrange this, regardless of footballing knowledge - I'm a 4-4-2 hoof ball dinosaur who has played fm for decades but still can't say to my DLP(D) to repeatedly smash the ball over the opposing left backs head for my W(A) to run on to at half time, l have to suss out which instructions do *what* and they often take longer to fathom than the ten second verbal instruction I'd give irl. 

4 hours ago, Danchinaski said:

The glossary you mention, if implemented correctly, would be immensely helpful. There is a big gap between what a player would like to organise his team to do and what buttons require pressing in order to arrange this, regardless of footballing knowledge - I'm a 4-4-2 hoof ball dinosaur who has played fm for decades but still can't say to my DLP(D) to repeatedly smash the ball over the opposing left backs head for my W(A) to run on to at half time, l have to suss out which instructions do *what* and they often take longer to fathom than the ten second verbal instruction I'd give irl. 

The worst for this is the no-nonsense centre back, they are in fact all nonsense and it's caused by one PI they have that is perma-ticked and can't be removed and makes zero sense for what my understanding of a no-nonsense player would be IRL.

In my mind a no-nonsense player would take almost no risks and just clear the ball as far away from goal as possible.

But thanks to the PI take fewer risks (which IMO makes defensive players take lots of risks) they don't at all, they do the opposite in fact, in theory makes sense you'd think it would just make them hoof it but in FM reality it makes them make risky passes attempting to retain possession into dangerous areas where you can be easily countered in transition from defence to attack.

Rather than what I actually want which is for them to clear it long, where we might get lucky and counter into space, lose the ball but reset the defence or lose the ball and challenge for the second ball. 

The main thing being the ball isn't lost 5-10-15 yards outside my own box with us resetting the defence like they do with take fewer risks ticked.

So I never use no-nonsense defenders instead I used normal vanilla centre-backs and give them more direct passing instructions, then really counter-intuitively take more risks and they act way more like I want!

6 hours ago, kiwityke1983 said:

The worst for this is the no-nonsense centre back, they are in fact all nonsense and it's caused by one PI they have that is perma-ticked and can't be removed and makes zero sense for what my understanding of a no-nonsense player would be IRL.

In my mind a no-nonsense player would take almost no risks and just clear the ball as far away from goal as possible.

But thanks to the PI take fewer risks (which IMO makes defensive players take lots of risks) they don't at all, they do the opposite in fact, in theory makes sense you'd think it would just make them hoof it but in FM reality it makes them make risky passes attempting to retain possession into dangerous areas where you can be easily countered in transition from defence to attack.

Rather than what I actually want which is for them to clear it long, where we might get lucky and counter into space, lose the ball but reset the defence or lose the ball and challenge for the second ball. 

The main thing being the ball isn't lost 5-10-15 yards outside my own box with us resetting the defence like they do with take fewer risks ticked.

So I never use no-nonsense defenders instead I used normal vanilla centre-backs and give them more direct passing instructions, then really counter-intuitively take more risks and they act way more like I want!

I felt FM24 was the perfect time to tweak/change some wording before FM25.

For years now, some of us have been campaigning to change some of the wording on the tactic creator. The biggest one is mentality. Using Cautious, Balanced, Positive, and Attacking doesn't help people. It's natural to assume Attacking = Attacking football but in fact, it's just all about risk-taking. 

Take fewer risks either makes the player pass short to a player who is unmarked and safe to pass to - or will kick it long if no short option and/or being pressed. Not looking to take the risk of playing a line-breaking pass or a counter-attacking pass into a player's path. So often, it's good to pair this role with an AF or TF, someone who's a target for the NCB to always aim for (AF makes runs tempting the over-the-top pass. Paired with a high tempo, players tend to force this even more).

That said, I tend to only use an NCB when using quick tempo + direct passing directness.

The less tactical risk, the more time (tempo) the player will operate in getting the ball from back to front (I get that the role itself should override this and think it does to an extent). So below is NCB's mentality with the team on Cautious.

Spoiler

image.png.82364671394a9afaa2fc4987afb4bdce.png

But then with Attacking, we get a balanced mentality. So you can say, he's more likely to play that more direct pass with an attacking mentality (naturally, without using other instructions). If looking to counter opponents, this may not be a bad idea anyway. Because it's risk-taking, playing direct balls quickly to your ST or Winger. An attacking Mentality naturally gets you to play more directly with the ball, though you can of course tweak this with team instructions to replicate with a lower mentality.

If noticed, the passing directness hasn't changed for the player between the two mentalities. So likely the only thing that's changing is the NCB being riskier with his tempo and decision to play that direct "low risk" pass.

You may already know this stuff, but may be useful for anyone reading.

Spoiler

image.png.209a47cc0ebab1260984d66e29c120b7.png

So under the attacking mentality using a NCB, these are the passes he attempted but were unsuccessful. Can see there's a clear attempt to just hoof/play direct from CB to ST. But also, he's playing fewer passes than his partner. Now this can simply just be that in this game, my LCB played more passes than my RCB. But also the fact that BPD is looking to collect and receive the ball. (another use for the NCB other than just direct passes - you can pair an NCB with a BPD to get the better out of your BPD and play to your NCBs strengths).

image.thumb.png.3b2f449c8e8001e82fcc46821cf788c8.png

And now this is the NCB passing with Cautious mentality, passing directness in the middle but tempo all the way high.

This is likely what some of you are probably wanting. But as can be seen, it's VERY risky (despite it says fewer risks haha). I don't think he completed any of the long passes he did attempt (the tactic may not be set up for that, though). 
image.thumb.png.349862ad9b0c46595678beab96eee616.png

The passing combination map shows us the difference between the two roles, too (BPB and NCB). There's a higher tendency to use the BPD. My takeaway would be that BPD has more tactical freedom than NCB (allowed to come short to receive the ball etc). This could *possibly* also be part of the "take fewer risks". Maybe, just maybe (because I don't know for a fact) that the BPD is also moving, creating angles to receive etc.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b4cd106e312c2fa4a5ee1523820c8b58.png

And here's a great example of it in practice. Attacking - mixed passing - high tempo. He has 3 immediate passing options but instead, he's opted for his "hoof ball" pass into the channel to our AF (tip, put your target player on the same side. Example, AF on the right. TF on the right. Winger on attack on the right. This might help your NCB rather than a support role looking to come short).

image.png.6c932d0f025344c176a4c7f635809fe1.png

Apologies for the long reply/post. But maybe can help someone out here.

Edited by RDF Tactics

With the NCB, we didn't lose our heavy possession numbers haha (also showing with the right set-up and in the right league, you can fully take control of possession in a nice set-up/system).

image.thumb.png.d332dc924f3bf8800ccec85bdb122ea0.png

However, we can see a little drop, compared to our midfield, with the defence passing %. Partly down to the NCB?

image.png.3a5fc7c765f1a94cf309b7f2e2cfdafb.png

Now, our BPD has attempted 102 passes. Is this further backing up the BPD tactical freedom claim? or even reduced tactical freedom for the NCB? Possibly both haha

but there is a significant drop in passes attempted with the NCB. He also has a lower passing %. Mostly because with the limited times he does receive the ball, he looks for that long pass as we are operating with a higher tempo. Get that ball from back to front quickly. 

I get that, maybe, the role itself should override instructions. So regardless, NCB is to hoof the ball. But I also believe you should be able to manage the frequency and balance the risk. One great way is to understand *better* the mentality/risk-taking

image.thumb.png.5e1a5fafa379356bf108f0c26c44cce6.png

1 hour ago, RDF Tactics said:

I felt FM24 was the perfect time to tweak/change some wording before FM25.

For years now, some of us have been campaigning to change some of the wording on the tactic creator. The biggest one is mentality. Using Cautious, Balanced, Positive, and Attacking doesn't help people. It's natural to assume Attacking = Attacking football but in fact, it's just all about risk-taking. 

Take fewer risks either makes the player pass short to a player who is unmarked and safe to pass to - or will kick it long if no short option and/or being pressed. Not looking to take the risk of playing a line-breaking pass or a counter-attacking pass into a player's path. So often, it's good to pair this role with an AF or TF, someone who's a target for the NCB to always aim for (AF makes runs tempting the over-the-top pass. Paired with a high tempo, players tend to force this even more).

That said, I tend to only use an NCB when using quick tempo + direct passing directness.

The less tactical risk, the more time (tempo) the player will operate in getting the ball from back to front (I get that the role itself should override this and think it does to an extent). So below is NCB's mentality with the team on Cautious.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.82364671394a9afaa2fc4987afb4bdce.png

But then with Attacking, we get a balanced mentality. So you can say, he's more likely to play that more direct pass with an attacking mentality (naturally, without using other instructions). If looking to counter opponents, this may not be a bad idea anyway. Because it's risk-taking, playing direct balls quickly to your ST or Winger. An attacking Mentality naturally gets you to play more directly with the ball, though you can of course tweak this with team instructions to replicate with a lower mentality.

If noticed, the passing directness hasn't changed for the player between the two mentalities. So likely the only thing that's changing is the NCB being riskier with his tempo and decision to play that direct "low risk" pass.

You may already know this stuff, but may be useful for anyone reading.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.209a47cc0ebab1260984d66e29c120b7.png

So under the attacking mentality using a NCB, these are the passes he attempted but were unsuccessful. Can see there's a clear attempt to just hoof/play direct from CB to ST. But also, he's playing fewer passes than his partner. Now this can simply just be that in this game, my LCB played more passes than my RCB. But also the fact that BPD is looking to collect and receive the ball. (another use for the NCB other than just direct passes - you can pair an NCB with a BPD to get the better out of your BPD and play to your NCBs strengths).

image.thumb.png.3b2f449c8e8001e82fcc46821cf788c8.png

And now this is the NCB passing with Cautious mentality, passing directness in the middle but tempo all the way high.

This is likely what some of you are probably wanting. But as can be seen, it's VERY risky (despite it says fewer risks haha). I don't think he completed any of the long passes he did attempt (the tactic may not be set up for that, though). 
image.thumb.png.349862ad9b0c46595678beab96eee616.png

The passing combination map shows us the difference between the two roles, too (BPB and NCB). There's a higher tendency to use the BPD. My takeaway would be that BPD has more tactical freedom than NCB (allowed to come short to receive the ball etc). This could *possibly* also be part of the "take fewer risks". Maybe, just maybe (because I don't know for a fact) that the BPD is also moving, creating angles to receive etc.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.b4cd106e312c2fa4a5ee1523820c8b58.png

And here's a great example of it in practice. Attacking - mixed passing - high tempo. He has 3 immediate passing options but instead, he's opted for his "hoof ball" pass into the channel to our AF (tip, put your target player on the same side. Example, AF on the right. TF on the right. Winger on attack on the right. This might help your NCB rather than a support role looking to come short).

image.png.6c932d0f025344c176a4c7f635809fe1.png

Apologies for the long reply/post. But maybe can help someone out here.

The problem I had with the NCB was they'd consistently play the ball into an area of the pitch I didn't want them to trying to retain possession.

With what are "simple"passes, just ones I didn't want them to make.

We also had a target man for them to aim for who they'd consistently ignore in favour of giving goals away haha

Not a problem 8 out of 10 games but the other 2 it consistently led to us giving away goals because their passing was abysmal and they'd miss hit an easy 5 yard ball to our defensive midfielder or full-back I essentially didn't want them to ever attempt.

The opposition would get the ball and counter attack us usually scoring as players were out of position.

I understand the Cautious to Attacking means risks taken rather than actual stance.

Has anybody encountered a crash on certain date after the update? Before the update I played 16 seasons without a single crash, now started a new save with Wolfsburg and my game always crashing on June 18th 2024. I don't use any customs leagues etc, only custom graphics.

Going for holiday doesn't help as it crashes anyway 

Edited by gggfunk

Season : 2024-2025 I am managing Union SG in Belgium. My board announced new stadium building for that reason we have moved to Lotto Park ( Anderlecht Stadium ) for the season of 2024-2025. But we play at same stadium on same day even with 1 or 2 hour differences :-)

36 minutes ago, ceta96 said:

Season : 2024-2025 I am managing Union SG in Belgium. My board announced new stadium building for that reason we have moved to Lotto Park ( Anderlecht Stadium ) for the season of 2024-2025. But we play at same stadium on same day even with 1 or 2 hour differences :-)

Fans may not even have to leave the stadium :lol:

On 04/03/2024 at 10:04, RDF Tactics said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ahhh thats it must be my tactics ,after all these years i never knew that