5+ things you (possibly) didn't know you could do in FM - Tips and tricks

XaW

7 hours ago, XaW said:

but if you don't care much about the details, you can set everything to "None" and improve processing. Or, if you really want realism, add as much as you want and let the processing take its time. Anything that allows us to customize the game to our wish is great!

Setting to "None" is great for doing a 'holiday' test save. It will fly through the seasons especially if you put lots of leagues as 'view only'. It's a great way to test edited files. Leave it running overnight and it's usually racked up 60 or 70 seasons. 

12 hours ago, XaW said:

Sure lets do one more.

Level of detail!

- Many of you probably know about this screen, but do you know how it works and what it actually does? It's located in the FM-menu drop down.

sBt8OCL.png

Once you are in you can see a bunch of leagues and continents, based on what leagues you have loaded.

YM2L9jY.png

All of this can be quite confusing, but what it actually means is "how many, and what type of, matches do you want to be played in full?". Clicking on the list on the left will show more details, like this for England.

SnpVDWZ.png

So what does that entail? Well, the game has two different match engines, the normal one that is used when your team plays, which is played out in full where you can see match statistics and all the details, but there is also a quick match engine, the QME. This version of it is a simplified version that does it much quicker, but in far less detail than the normal one. So matches played in the QME cannot be opened to look at in detail, nor will it use all the features of the normal match engine and use a more simplified way of deciding the result. SI haven't given much details of exactly how it works, but think of it just as a simplified version. The QME is faster, but less uses less details. So the more matches played in full, the longer processing time the game takes to simulate them.

So what you are selecting here on this screen is how many matches should be played in the full version. So why would you want the game to go slower by adding matches here? Well, the matches will give actual statistics and not just estimated ones, so if you care about how players do in other tournaments, then this is what you want to add. Also, the league your team plays in is forced into full detail for competitive matches. Games you attend or scout will also be played in full detail automatically. Personally, I think the default setups work well, but if you don't care much about the details, you can set everything to "None" and improve processing. Or, if you really want realism, add as much as you want and let the processing take its time. Anything that allows us to customize the game to our wish is great!

I found you get significantly more scout results, at higher frequency, when you have match detail set to anything other than None.

14 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I used to struggle to see the damn ball in matches until I changed the colour to bright yellow or orange.

There are match ball upgrades in FMscout . You can you go back as far as FM19 to use them in FM23 or 24

5 hours ago, Harper said:

I found you get significantly more scout results, at higher frequency, when you have match detail set to anything other than None.

This really bugs me. Did you find more good young players? Can it be a coincident with increased scouting knowledge etc?

8 hours ago, Harper said:

Also, would be great to be able to right click on a competition and add to screen flow, rather going into the preferences every time.

Suggest it in the feature requests forum?

A bit tedious, but it helps a ton:

When you're low on money and want free agents, wait for the season to finish (30/06/20xx) and July 1st you hunt down every free agent by trialing them.

(For Southern Hemisphere teams it's January) 

Simply go to a league above you, click on transfers and find released players. You now have a whole batch of candidates. Trial 30 of them for 3 weeks and there you go. 

The same can be down for youth players. 

Note, this isn't affected by your scouting knowledge or your scouting package.

Surely, you might already know a bit about the player, but when you're the manager of FC KeepItSimple, a Premier League team most likely has something good to offer. 

On 11/10/2023 at 21:11, Brasilia88 said:

A bit tedious, but it helps a ton:

When you're low on money and want free agents, wait for the season to finish (30/06/20xx) and July 1st you hunt down every free agent by trialing them.

(For Southern Hemisphere teams it's January) 

Simply go to a league above you, click on transfers and find released players. You now have a whole batch of candidates. Trial 30 of them for 3 weeks and there you go. 

The same can be down for youth players. 

Note, this isn't affected by your scouting knowledge or your scouting package.

Surely, you might already know a bit about the player, but when you're the manager of FC KeepItSimple, a Premier League team most likely has something good to offer. 

Even better - you don't have to wait until the season ends, just offer them a trial while they're still at their club. Clubs will accept your trial requests if they don't intend to keep the player.

For example if you're managing in Scotland or in a lower league English team on a smaller budget, instead of wasting money on a UK-wide scouting package and waiting to get scouting reports back you can just offer trials to any premier league youth kid on a short contract.

I literally click on Man City, go to "Squad" and "All players", sort by contract expiry date and offer a trial to everyone with less than 6 months left. Immediately cancel the obviously bad players and repeat for every team in the prem until you're full on trials, then repeat a few weeks later to work your way through the league. There will be a few you can't get on trial, but you can scout those later if you need to.

I think the real tip for free transfers though is to save some money for October/November - I know it's tempting but don't spend all your money in August unless you really need to. Every season there will be a handful of really good players released that were previously at a bigger club and are still expecting really high wages. They'll sit unemployed for a few months until finally, around October/November, their demands will drop by enough that you can sign them. You can sign some absolute gems this way, and they still have 2/3 of the season left to be involved in.

• XaW changed the title to 5+ things you (possibly) didn't know you could do in FM - Tips and tricks

Players' attributes dropping half way through a season is something that really annoys me, and from reading various forums I've found a lot of other people are too. This is something that I have done quite a bit of research on and I have found numerous reasons as to why it happens, including a player playing in a league that is lower than the level they should be playing at, and players not receiving regular playing time. But recently I have found another potential reason or cause for players declining. Apparently, if one of your players perform really well in a match and gets a match rating of 8.5 or something, and you rest them for the next match without warning them, they will start to decline. This is something that I recently discovered in my save, but I don't think many people know about it.  

4 minutes ago, Eccentric_Ed said:

Players' attributes dropping half way through a season is something that really annoys me, and from reading various forums I've found a lot of other people are too. This is something that I have done quite a bit of research on and I have found numerous reasons as to why it happens, including a player playing in a league that is lower than the level they should be playing at, and players not receiving regular playing time. But recently I have found another potential reason or cause for players declining. Apparently, if one of your players perform really well in a match and gets a match rating of 8.5 or something, and you rest them for the next match without warning them, they will start to decline. This is something that I recently discovered in my save, but I don't think many people know about it.  

That's worrying. I maintain a very tight part-time squad and when games come twice a week I need to rotate the whole lot.

21 minutes ago, Eccentric_Ed said:

Also, if you are retraining them, or you have set up individual focus on a player close to, or at, his max potential, this can cause the rest of the abilities to give red arrows, even if they don't really go down much, as they are reduced by a fraction to allow for the change you have set up. Worth knowing about too.

1 hour ago, Eccentric_Ed said:

A lot of people panic when they see red arrows on a players profile, but most of the time its just attributes rebalancing because of something happening in training, or a change in ability etc. And more often than not, it's only fractional differences. If you go deeper into the attributes you can see if any have actually dropped and by how much (as well as ones that increase). Usually nothing to worry about. 

22 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

A lot of people panic when they see red arrows on a players profile, but most of the time its just attributes rebalancing because of something happening in training, or a change in ability etc. And more often than not, it's only fractional differences. If you go deeper into the attributes you can see if any have actually dropped and by how much (as well as ones that increase). Usually nothing to worry about. 

To illustrate the point, attributes rise and falls by increments of 0.2 (I believe, kind of guess work) and the game truncates the float values.

Here is a player's attributes with an indicator of decrease in is long shot ability
image.thumb.png.7c1c71d200531b8214cbae45800f1728.png

Hovering over the attribute in the progress tracker on the previous month (August 2026), you see "Long Shots - 13"

Long Shots in August 2026

On the current month (September 2026), you see the slight decline from the previous month, but the information when hovering over the data point still reads "Long Shots - 13"

Long Shots decrease Sept 2026

Different play (new signing, but with a more dramatic arrow indicator). The darker red arrow, indicating a sharper decrease indicates the integer has changed, but the decrease isn't a significant decline. Here the player has 13 stamina

image.thumb.png.76aeb0e0288c525dc0361f4ae1fd241b.png

The following month, the integer is 12, but it may have gone from 13.0 to 12.8 (maybe 12.6).

image.thumb.png.4700fb2402b4db38139098608b4ef428.png

Edited by Harper

• 2 weeks later...

This will be useful to very few people but I've seen people complain about this so here it is.

You can go back and watch the entire 90 minutes of a game you've played. To do this first to preference and search for "when viewing matches from the start screen" change it from "show final results and stats" to "play through match from start".

whenviewingmatch.png.3b2563de858dc4ac5ca6b13461659f34.png

once that is done you can go into your game and save and match you want to rewatch. To do this go to your fixture list and click on the result of the game then it will take you to the summary page. On the top right of that page you will see where it says "save match" when you click on it a pop up window will ask you where you want to save.

samematch.thumb.png.ac7d3d57b439e5dd7430c77760e752ed.png

When that is done all you have to do is go to the start screen of the game and on the the right where it asks you if you want to start a new game or load a game just click where it says more then pick the option that says view match then a popup will appear and you will be able to choose the match you want to rewatch then change it from key highlights to full match then click play.

viewmatch.png.ef9931e6da89fc5b0f12d796ecfa3fef.png

IMG_0914.gif.b62125b493feb5bdde7fa7c56b4cb70d.gif

2 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

Is there any way to customise and make these screens permanent during a match?

image.thumb.png.1663158e6948e5380ba949ecc33e7b66.png

If by permanent you mean they remain solid even Eden the ball is underneath then your only option is to use skins 

I'm really intrigued by the 'detail level' screen which I hadn't really considered before.  I already play with a custom database to try and get as many players in the game as possible, but it'll be interesting to see what impact DL has.  I've changed it so that all continental club comps and more of the international tournaments have higher level of detail now

42 minutes ago, dalenichol said:

I'm really intrigued by the 'detail level' screen which I hadn't really considered before.  I already play with a custom database to try and get as many players in the game as possible, but it'll be interesting to see what impact DL has.  I've changed it so that all continental club comps and more of the international tournaments have higher level of detail now

I think It has more impact than the number of players and leave you have loaded 

On 04/11/2023 at 10:04, DarJ said:

This will be useful to very few people but I've seen people complain about this so here it is.

You can go back and watch the entire 90 minutes of a game you've played. To do this first to preference and search for "when viewing matches from the start screen" change it from "show final results and stats" to "play through match from start".

whenviewingmatch.png.3b2563de858dc4ac5ca6b13461659f34.png

once that is done you can go into your game and save and match you want to rewatch. To do this go to your fixture list and click on the result of the game then it will take you to the summary page. On the top right of that page you will see where it says "save match" when you click on it a pop up window will ask you where you want to save.

samematch.thumb.png.ac7d3d57b439e5dd7430c77760e752ed.png

When that is done all you have to do is go to the start screen of the game and on the the right where it asks you if you want to start a new game or load a game just click where it says more then pick the option that says view match then a popup will appear and you will be able to choose the match you want to rewatch then change it from key highlights to full match then click play.

viewmatch.png.ef9931e6da89fc5b0f12d796ecfa3fef.png

IMG_0914.gif.b62125b493feb5bdde7fa7c56b4cb70d.gif

That's quite a painful way to do something you used to be able to do in the game just be clicking on the fixture. "Full match" in highlights used to be there

14 minutes ago, craiigman said:

That's quite a painful way to do something you used to be able to do in the game just be clicking on the fixture. "Full match" in highlights used to be there

Removing it improved the game speed so it’s a good trade off for something few people use anyway