Third place play-off: Croatia vs Morocco, 3PM GMT, Khalifa International Stadium

Darius1998

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two flaws in the way VAR is developing: refs 70% sure that what they saw is a penalty are not calling it, knowing that VAR will correct if obvious.  Second, it has become nearly impossible to get a free kick just outside the box because referees don’t call these either, knowing that VAR will catch obvious penalties but ignoring that non-penalty fouls cannot be corrected by VAR.

Just now, metal_guitarist said:

Referee's lost control of this

Never had control, was just lucky there were no hard decisions to make. As soon as there were, he got shown up. But who would have expected otherwise? No doubt he's doing his best, but his best is Qatari league level. 

2 minutes ago, Marc Albrighton said:

Like the Mount one against France, iys a clear penalty in real time at full speed so how do they watch it on slo-mo video and not give that a pen? The officiating has easily been the worst thing about the tournament. Absolutely appalling. 

Doesn’t quite rise to the level of “a clear and obvious error” or a “serious missed incident.”  If the referee tells the VAR room that he saw the contact and judged it minor, VAR cannot overrule unless the video shows bone coming loose….

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Depends on who you ask.

Quite a few teams got eliminated after bad refereeing.

This Moroccan team doesn't know how to behave, btw.

True but I can't think of many if any where it can definitely be claimed they're out because of the refereeing. Us and the Dutch for example had utterly awful referees but not why either team went out. There's not been a massive last minute utterly dreadful decision or anything.

Edited by Pukey

1 minute ago, Ackter said:

They can't hold their heads too high after this tbh, they're being pathetic.

The ref was actually terrible, but they really can't complain, the Croats have more reason to. Reminds me of Arg-Ned. Messi complaining he did't get three yellows, basically :D 

3 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

Moroccan players are still fighting!

Sadly, here in Canada we’ve had five minutes of commercials immediately after the final whistle.  Has it calmed down yet?  Coming back now, will they notice?

In old PES/ISS games, legendary World Cup winning teams had special adjectives describing them. Like Beloved Brazil, Heroic England etc. It's such a shame Croatia only reached silver as their best result. I wonder what adjective would fit them best.

Edited by Bunkerossian

14 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

To absolutely noone's surprise, Modrić isn't retiring from NT.

He will play in the Nations League finals.

The commentators were talking in absolutes that this would be his last WC game but I don't think it's entirely impossible that he makes it to 2026 if he wants to carry on playing.

Just now, brett.spurs said:

The commentators were talking in absolutes that this would be his last WC game but I don't think it's entirely impossible that he makes it to 2026 if he wants to carry on playing.

I don't think he'll be playing in 2026, but I can definitely see him playing in 2024 EURO and retiring from football alltogether after it.