Poland vs. Argentina / Saudi Arabia vs. Mexico - 7pm UK time

Astafjevs

I feel like anyone who isn't supporting England or whoever their national team is at this World Cup is all in on Argentina. Let's come together my brothers and sisters.

20221130_184134.jpg.7c409d88e4b8b9963d963034ee5fc8fd.jpg

20221130_184211.jpg.7e17e95ba9c91ee977881fd9828e0bbb.jpg

Argentina qualify with any one of these scenarios:

* They win

* They draw, and Saudi Arabia don't win in the other game. Or if Mexico win by three goals or fewer. (There's actually more to it as well but CBA to type it all out)

Poland qualify with:

* A win

* A draw

* A loss, providing Saudi Arabia don't win the other game. The loss also has to be small enough to prevent them being overtaken on GD, because a Saudi Arabia draw can also be enough in certain scenarios to knock a defeated Poland out if Poland lose by 3 goals.

Edited by Astafjevs

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Screenshot_20221130-184531.png.72c586d78c6db77371ed0cca7d668011.png

20221130_184351.thumb.jpg.27b3831f39a8e277f82ad689a2714c35.jpg

Saudi Arabia qualify with:

* A win

* A draw, but Argentina have to lose the other game

Mexico qualify with:

* Only a win will do. They also need help from the other game. If Argentina lose, any win is enough. If Argentina draw, Mexico need to win by 4 goals. 

Feels like Scaloni is making panic changes for the sake of it.

Lautaro scored 11 and has 5 assists in 20 official matches leading to World Cup, scores from that minimal offside against Saudis and another offside goal, then is completely isolated against Mexico's catenaccio, but he's the victim? And he was the only player up front capable of pressing. Now he fields Alvarez who's even less of a #9 against Poland that will no doubt employ more or less the same tactics?

Pressure definitely got to him, let's see if Messi or Di Maria can bail him out.

Funniest thing of it all that we'll probably have Argentina-Netherlands QF, with both teams being really unimpressive.

Edited by GunmaN1905

Argentina will step up tonight. 2-0 win, top of the group, avoid France.

That's because I'm going for Mexico to finally show up, batter the Saudis, and sneak through on goal difference. I mean, they always find a way into the last 16. :D

Just now, The_jagster said:

Like to see a big gun rattled but I don't want to see any more of this slow Poland team, hopefully the Saudis take the lead and both teams have something at stake.

I don't think Poland will start attacking as long as they're not losing, they'd be happy with second place.

18 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Now he fields Alvarez who's even less of a #9 against Poland that will no doubt employ more or less the same tactics

Not sure why you keep saying this, Alvarez has played the majority of games for us as a no.9 and its the only position he played for River Plate for the previous year 

Edited by Barry Cartman

Just now, Barry Cartman said:

Not sure why you keep saying this, Alvarez is played the majority of games for us as a no.9 and its the only position he played for River Plate

#9 -> striker with physicality who's especially useful against teams that park the bus, he can play with his back to the goal, keep defenders busy, win duels in the air and lay off passes.

Lautaro isn't one, Alvarez even less so.

Argentina don't play with much width so it makes sense. Di María is narrow. MacAllister basically plays as a central midfielder. They leave space for fullbacks that just aren't very good. You'd be quite happy to let Acuña and Molina have the ball if you're Poland