Will you guys be watching the World Cup? and if so how much?

thefmveteran86

World Cup watching   

93 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be watching the World Cup? if so how much?

• All of it
    • Most of it
    • Some of it
    • None

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/11/22 at 00:00

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched a few, almost entirely England games but also the odd game.

The football itself has been really decent, can't knock that at all, but aside from that it still hasn't felt full 'World Cup' for me. Didn't feel nearly as gutted at going out to France as I might have done at other tournaments, which says a lot in itself really. Not sure if that's partly due to the stupid kick off times over here or if it is some sort of mental block at it being in Qatar, but I'll take it regardless.

8 hours ago, foolsgold said:

I've watched a few, almost entirely England games but also the odd game.

Outside of england games i've only watched stuff thats been on at the pub - last 20 mins of argentina /saudi aside. don't think i'll bother with the semis. might watch the final if argentina and/or morocco make it, but not too bothered.

if it wasnt for the qatarness of it i reckon i'd have watched well over half the games. 

Edited by Rafalution

Saturday evening was wonderful, not watching or worrying about the England match. I didn't even find out who won until the following morning. It's a far cry indeed from what it must have been like to watch and be strongly invested in what was happening. I could get used to this ;)

2 hours ago, Rafalution said:

Outside of england games i've only watched stuff thats been on at the pub - last 20 mins of argentina /saudi aside. don't think i'll bother with the semis. might watch the final if argentina and/or morocco make it, but not too bothered.

if it wasnt for the qatarness of it i reckon i'd have watched well over half the games. 

This, i've watched about 12-15 games or so, but otherwise I'd have had them all on. Easily. I love world cups

On 08/11/2022 at 13:18, The_jagster said:

I can't take time off during the first week really so half a half day on the Monday, and half days for any knockout match.

So working for the first week with it on the radio in the background. From some Talksport ad I thought they had it but fortunately it's all on BBC radio.

The last group games are rarely that great imo so don't mind missing the 3pm kickoffs for those, but any potential England game I will be able to watch :)

:lol:

At least I didn't take time off for the 0-0s in the first week.

5live coverage generally impressed me tbh except when they got too England-y for the knockouts.

On 12/12/2022 at 10:59, Coulthard's Jaw said:

On course to have only missed those 3 games on the second Monday. Possible i might not see the 3rd/4th place play off match.

I completely forgot the third place playoff was a thing. Should just bin it. 

I’ve watched a fair number of the games and have gotten five out of my six wishes so far:

1 & 2) Canada to be competitive and score a damn goal this time.  Check.

3 & 4) Senegal and Australia to be eliminated after qualifying for the World Cup through dubious means during crucial PK shootouts.  Senegalese fans shone thousands of green laser lights into the faces of Egyptian shooters and GK during kicks, and the Aussie goalie was discovered on video, to have grabbed the Peruvian GK’s water bottle, with instructions for each Aussie shooter’s tendancies, while everyone was focussed on the Aussie shooter and the Peruvian GK, and tossed it into the stands.  Not cricket, but of course FIFA did nothing.  Check, although it took longer than I hoped it would.

5 & 6) Brazil and Argentina to be eliminated after selling tickets and TV rights to a qualifying game that was cancelled after five minutes because four of Argentina’s players were clearly out of bounds with regard to Brazils covid rules at the time.  Both sides share the blame here, Argentina for keeping the players away from health enquiries until they had no choice but to have the match stopped, and Brazil for not paying enough attention to their governments rules.  The fact that both had already clinched qualification is no excuse for never organizing a replacement match.  I hope the fans and TV rights holders were fully refunded.  And I guess I need to root for France in the final to go 6 for 6.

Under serious consideration was a seventh, that Morocco be eliminated just so I could watch one of their matches and not get a headache from the whistling every time the opponents had the ball.  Worse than the vuvuzelas in South Africa.

Edited by McBruce

On my way back from Qatar today so I will be watching the final on the Beeb at home. Won’t bother with the 3rd place game tomorrow as when I get home I will be sleeping for at least 24 hours. I did miss maybe 2 or 3 group games when there was 4 a day because otherwise it takes over your entire day but other than that I’ve watched every game either at a bar, fan zone or on the missus’ TV.

On 15/12/2022 at 21:00, McBruce said:

3 & 4) Senegal and Australia to be eliminated after qualifying for the World Cup through dubious means during crucial PK shootouts.  Senegalese fans shone thousands of green laser lights into the faces of Egyptian shooters and GK during kicks, and the Aussie goalie was discovered on video, to have grabbed the Peruvian GK’s water bottle, with instructions for each Aussie shooter’s tendancies, while everyone was focussed on the Aussie shooter and the Peruvian GK, and tossed it into the stands.  Not cricket, but of course FIFA did nothing.  Check, although it took longer than I hoped it would.

That was hilarious, and no rules were broken. Why would FIFA do something? Only sides Australia lost to are now in the Final, I’ve really enjoyed this World Cup :D

Messi in the see through gown was a bit over the top tbh

and the fact Sarkozy was "comforting" in front of the camera such a nonsense after all the upheavel in the run up to the final

sure, the PSG - Qatar - France link, but still

Did groceries during the first half of the final. Was not as quiet as I hoped for. Didn't see a minute, didn't miss at all. To more missed minutes in Germany UEFA 2024!

Curious how bad the hangover of our Argentinian colleague will be tomorrow. He is a bit of a party animal.

3 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

And yeah, they are ****ing awful. You know it, I know it, we all know it. The existence of something worse doesn't make them "not so bad". 

sure, you're absolutely right

just goes to show it's not always easy to find a club ownership that is acceptable

(prob cause the cash needed for that usually isn't in the hands of honest folk)

Edited by buffalo

Fair play to the people who done a proper boycott of this, you're a better person than I. Only thing I think is missing the mark is the "haven't missed it at all :) :) :)" stuff. I mean... the fact you've missed one of the great football World Cup's is something that gives your boycott it's power, it's fine if you feel like you've missed out. 

4 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Fair play to the people who done a proper boycott of this, you're a better person than I. Only thing I think is missing the mark is the "haven't missed it at all :) :) :)" stuff. I mean... the fact you've missed one of the great football World Cup's is something that gives your boycott it's power, it's fine if you feel like you've missed out. 

Absolutely. If you've not missed it then you probably don't really like football.

31 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Only thing I think is missing the mark is the "haven't missed it at all :) :) :)" stuff. I mean... the fact you've missed one of the great football World Cup's is something that gives your boycott it's power, it's fine if you feel like you've missed out. 

I haven't missed it though, although I should say I 'boycotted' the World Cup because I didn't want to be involved with it on a personal level rather than as some kind of sacrificial act. Whatever incidental power (almost nothing, tbf) it has is because I'm not going to show up on the viewing figures or have been counted watching any of the adverts etc. and how good or bad the football is really doesn't really change that. 

I've missed loads of great football over the years, I'm sure I'll miss a lot more (especially stuff that doesn't involve Angel Di Maria scoring/winning :D). If anything it's been a useful experience. It was leaked today, on the day of the final, that one of the Glazers met with the Saudi/Qatari governments about a sale of Man Utd and I've spent the last month and a half slowly becoming more and more certain that if that does happen I could just walk away from it all and it wouldn't leave some big blank hole in my life that I'd struggle to fill. 

I've realised my love for football isn't totally unconditional, and I'm slowly starting to think that's healthy.  

Edited by InigoPatinkin

13 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I have never said I would boycot the World Cup. I have only said I wasn't going to watch it. I haven't watched any WC or EC games since 2008, which, apparently means I hate football :lol: Laughable.
No, I am just not interested in international football these days and in watching these tournaments, while I fully enjoy supporting my local team.

2 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

I have never said I would boycot the World Cup. I have only said I wasn't going to watch it. I haven't watched any WC or EC games since 2008, which, apparently means I hate football :lol: Laughable.
No, I am just not interested in international football these days and in watching these tournaments, while I fully enjoy supporting my local team.

If you've not watched it because you weren't going to watch it anyway then of course you won't miss it. 

Question here for you guys then. Has the World Cup enhanced or diminished Qatar's reputation?

At the beginning we were told it would highlight their issues, and it felt pretty negative with the poor fan zones, the poor treatment of journalists, and of course the obvious about workers rights. But now, at least from here, it feels that there is a turning point and people are seeing past that because the football has been great. Certainly the narrative in the media has changed, with the usual tabloid suspects suddenly incredibly quiet on the realities of the workers abuses and being hugely positive now over the entire tournament.

Personally, I really don't think that's a good thing, I think long-term it could be very damaging for us, but I'm interested to hear how others perceive it, particularly being in different parts of the world.

Edited by foolsgold

4 minutes ago, dafuge said:

Of course, but it’s not really a boycott if they weren’t going to watch it anyway.

It's like the fans whose idea of a protest is to march from a pub they were going to anyway over to a stadium they were going to anyway.

1 hour ago, sebsy said:

Didn't watch a single game.

Thoroughly looking forward to the 2023 World Cup in Australia/New Zealand though.

sadly we didn't qualify for that one

will probably be watching it, amount of games depending on match times / time difference

13 minutes ago, buffalo said:

sadly we didn't qualify for that one

will probably be watching it, amount of games depending on match times / time difference

Yes, a shame really as they looked like a good little side on the up in the Euros this year.

Evrard was one of the better goalies in the tournament, and I really liked what I saw of Vanhaevermaet in midfield.

10 minutes ago, sebsy said:

Yes, a shame really as they looked like a good little side on the up in the Euros this year.

Evrard was one of the better goalies in the tournament, and I really liked what I saw of Vanhaevermaet in midfield.

shame they lost to Portugal in the playoff 1st round

we were developing the squad, national league could use a boost as well

hope this doesn't mean we'll stay behind for next tournament(s)

Post by an acquaintance

"Lionel Messi was draped in a traditional Arab cloak - the bisht- during the World Cup presentation ceremony. This was done so personally by the Emir of Qatar. It’s one of the highest honours that can be bestowed. 

Yet, ignorant Western press and commentators, including BBC pundits like Gary Lineker, were criticising it. Creating unnecessary outrage and drama. 

Another example of how Western press and propaganda have tried to ruin the World Cup for Qatar even before it began, and even at its denouement. 

But for many of us, this was the most magnificent World Cup ever. 

I attend a lot of football finals, and never have I felt so safe, so secure, and so welcome. At most football events, it’s always worrying when one is going to be a victim of crime, or drunken football hooliganism. Or bad traffic and broken public transport. 

France’s hosting of the champions league final this year for example was disgraceful. 

Let’s hope Asia, and the Arab and Muslim world, will host more of these events, and show everyone how it is done."

It might be a Qatari tradition but I don't think anybody can deny that Messi lifting the World Cup in that and it obscuring his Argentina shirt has negatively impacted the images of a historic moment.That moment was supposed to be about Argentina, Messi and the players that won the tournament, not Qatar.

The other stuff, fair enough really. Nobody's going to want to praise Qatar too much but none of the horror story predictions before the tournament came true and, from my personal experience, everything ran well and there was zero signs of any trouble. And they also lucked out that on the pitch it was probably the best ever World Cup in memory.

Edited by Weezer

Rich man does so he pleases. That's why Saudi Arabia now wants the world cup, that's why they all want a F1 race (waiting for Kuwait to come in the discussion soon). They are rich people who don't take no for an answer. Without the bisht it would not be clearly visible enough that Messi won in Qatar. And it was about Qatar, not about Messi winning.