Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

35 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

It's a good point that police officers often don't actually know the law themselves. 

Think we will see a lot more of this over the coming days. You would hope officers would be given clear direction as to what constitutes a breach...but I won't hold my breath. 

Stupid thing is, cracking down on the slightest sign of anti-monarchy is only going to encourage more ardent republicans to gather in protest, cos in their eyes this overkill from the police is proof of how authoritarian the UK is and getting arrested is what they want, it justifies their beliefs.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

Stupid thing is, cracking down on the slightest sign of anti-monarchy is only going to encourage more ardent republicans to gather in protest, cos in their eyes this overkill from the police is proof of how authoritarian the UK is and getting arrested is what they want, it justifies their beliefs.

They weren't all out shouting about abolishing the monarchy last week or the week before?

Loud mouthed milennials or gen z trying to grab attention or get the police some more negtaive attention when they're just doing their job.

Yes, I'm old. :kriss:

Did they all shut for Diana's? Was a Saturday iirc.

Work hadn't said what was what when i went home but we don't normally work them and one of our corporate sites was featured yesterday quite extensively to the West of Queensferry Bridge.

Just now, anagain said:

They weren't all out shouting about abolishing the monarchy last week or the week before?

Loud mouthed milennials or gen z trying to grab attention or get the police some more negtaive attention when they're just doing their job.

It's almost like now is entirely the right time to be protesting the monarchy when a new monarch is proclaimed.

"Just doing their job"...except they're not doing their job, are they?

2 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

Gotcha. Hidden away where the thing you're protesting isn't actually happening.

So pretty much the way the government wants protests to function going forward.

The thing they're protesting isnt happening where these people are doing these things. 

This is a long drawn out overblown funeral. Go protest the coronation, go protest public appearances where their mum isn't dead in a box.

These people aren't protesting anyway, theyre using protest as an excuse to be a bunch of ***** to loads of people ad to be the centre of attention.

This is essentially no different to me going into the Dr. Who thread to say it sucks.

Edited by Ackter

Just now, Ackter said:

These people aren't protesting anyway, theyre using protest as an excuse to be a bunch of ***** to loads of people ad to be the centre of attention.

I do agree with the general point you are making but this is the same logic that means people aren't actually grieving but pretending to be sad about an old woman dying. A lot of protesters are attention seekers but still believe in the cause.

35 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Instead of abolishing the monarchy we should be more focused on trying to abolish the police force and replacing them with competent, semi-intelligent individuals.

Thing is, most competent semi-intelligent people don't want to stand and be abused by drunks in town on a Saturday night, or on a Saturday afternnon on football duties, or have bricks chucked at them for just turning up to a 999 call.

1 minute ago, The_jagster said:

I do agree with the general point you are making but this is the same logic that means people aren't actually grieving but pretending to be sad about an old woman dying. A lot of protesters are attention seekers but still believe in the cause.

That's there's only like 5 people doing the "protesting" has me highly questioning their motives.

Protests are usually organised and follow strict rules.

THere'll be a huge % of people there only pretending to grieve as well, but there's more than enough crazy people there who are genuinely grieving.

11 minutes ago, Ackter said:

The thing they're protesting isnt happening where these people are doing these things. 

This is a long drawn out overblown funeral. Go protest the coronation, go protest public appearances where their mum isn't dead in a box.

Alongside a funeral we've simultaneously been forced to have a new monarch. That didn't wait for people to have a grieving period.

Edited by ginnybob

1 minute ago, Ackter said:

That's there's only like 5 people doing the "protesting" has me highly questioning their motives.

Protests are usually organised and follow strict rules.

THere'll be a huge % of people there only pretending to grieve as well, but there's more than enough crazy people there who are genuinely grieving.

That we've heard about being arrested, it might be that more people have protested with no further action. The one in Oxford wasn't an official ceremony but where each village/town/city had its own commemoration.

2 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

Alongside a funeral we've simultaneously been forced to have a new monarch. That didn't wait for people to have a grieving period.

Yes, so go protest the coronation when it happens, or a public appearance that's not leading up to a funeral. The only thing you're doing by protesting now is upsetting people and reducing the effectiveness of your protest.

18 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

Gotcha. Hidden away where the thing you're protesting isn't actually happening.

So pretty much the way the government wants protests to function going forward.

Do you support the protests of the Westboro Baptist Church at soldiers funerals?

9 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

Do you support the protests of the Westboro Baptist Church at soldiers funerals?

Are the people protesting right now protesting against the person who died? Or are they protesting against the monarch coming in, which is a simultaneous act?

Edited by ginnybob

Just now, ginnybob said:

Are the people protesting right now protesting against the person who died?

They’re protesting the monarchy, so yes. And the Westboro Baptist Church protest against all soldiers etc. not just the one who’s funeral they’re at.

1 minute ago, Harryseaess said:

They’re protesting the monarchy, so yes. And the Westboro Baptist Church protest against all soldiers etc. not just the one who’s funeral they’re at.

They have a right to protest. Funnily enough being a dick isn't a reason to be arrested, otherwise there would be a few people on this forum in trouble.

1 minute ago, ginnybob said:

They have a right to protest. Funnily enough being a dick isn't a reason to be arrested, otherwise there would be a few people on this forum in trouble.

Of course, but if you protest at a funeral or when a coffin is being paraded then you’re ****ing scum.

4 hours ago, titchuk said:

Not sure I was expecting the monarchy to be quite as popular as it is 

the ABC1C2DE grading system is based entirely on occupation. I don't think its what people mean when they say about differences in social class here. There's also an issue in chucking them altogether, it wouldn't surprise me at all if support was highest among AB and DE and lower in C1 and C2 but it's impossible to say from the above image whether that is true or not. How ever you want to define 'Upper Class' - it's probably going to be 5% max of the population and a massive pro-monarchy opinion among them is easily swallowed up by these groupings. 

Edited by Rafalution

1 hour ago, anagain said:

As it's not possible to downvote on here I made this, especially for you: image.png.647f4d5a218ae7b9b41a0fb2e3dae1f5.png

Edited by Rafalution

21 minutes ago, Rafalution said:

the ABC1C2DE grading system is based entirely on occupation. I don't think its what people mean when they say about differences in social class here. There's also an issue in chucking them altogether, it wouldn't surprise me at all if support was highest among AB and DE and lower in C1 and C2 but it's impossible to say from the above image whether that is true or not. How ever you want to define 'Upper Class' - it's probably going to be 5% max of the population and a massive pro-monarchy opinion among them is easily swallowed up by these groupings. 

I think Upper Class is generally considered to be about 1% of the population max and as you've put statistically insignificant. Not necessarily the richest 1% but the small subset of people who can essentially live off wealth and investments with wealth in the family.