How Do You Feel After Finishing a Really Long Save?

Does finish a long save affect you?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel after finishing a save you spent many seasons/ real-life weeks on?

• very happy
    • happy
    • satisfied
    • neutral (no feelings)
    • anti-climatic
    • a bit sad
    • empty

I'm about to finish a save after ten seasons (or nearly a month IRL) and will start a new journeyman.

I feel a bit sad that all my trophies and achievements won't carry over and will be for nothing.

Honest question: How do you feel after a really big save you invested many weeks of your time on?...

Edited by phd_angel

• phd_angel changed the title to How Do You Feel After Finishing a Really Long Save?

I invest +/- 1 year to one single save. Well, technically 2 saves. Testing the Beta and familiarising myself with new features for then to start a real career save when the full game is released.
I play that save until the next Beta is out.
It's a neutral feeling for me. It has run its course and i move on to a new career.

-Edit-
Normally i manage to get to between 2050-2070 so there are a lot of seasons.
This year it won't be so much as i haven't played as much as i usually play, due to other commitments.

Edited by roykela

Is ten season's considered a "big save"?

I feel satisfied in the poll but the truth is it depends on the save and how it's gone.

I did 47 years with a club this year which I documented in the career thread but by the end I was thinking about my next save and it had run it's course, I was only keeping it going the last few seasons for the sake of the thread and my immediate thought was relief.

I did 15-20 at Gutersloh after that but got bored once I'd got them into Europe so that felt anti-climactic.

But when I look back after some time I feel satisfied as while the save was happening it was fun.

The most satisfied I can be is when I end up in a save like @roykela, the aim every year is to just have one save file the entire game.

Edited by metallimuse

I would say happy.

Pros

+ My tactics and game philosophy still working and will move on with me to next FM.

+ Relationship to players. I still remember some of my most legendary FM12 players following in the team from div 5 to premier League.

+ Drama in games especially at the end of the season.

Cons

- Was it too easy?

- Been there done that. (Easy?) :D

- Haven't been finishing long saves anymore. Because of... Life, kids :D but also because game is "easy" every year.

Edited by Pasonen

I'm still on one FM21 save, just entering 2059 with my 4th club. for the 4th FM, I've done a 'journeyman' of sorts with the aim to become one of the best managers and then joining the club I support (Bristol City) and rescuing them/taking them to glory.

FM20 - Monopoli > Chippenham > Hemel Hempstead > Malmo FF > Bayern Munich > Bristol City

FM21 - Skovde > Brommapojkarna > OL > Bristol City

It almost feels like joining City in 2040+ is when the game actually starts.

On 06/08/2021 at 05:24, -Jef- said:

What do you mean finish?

Good question. It's when you stop playing a save for whatever reason you give. My question is less about why you quit but rather about how you actually feel after dropping a save you spent a good deal of time on.

Empty. I have few saves 2030s and in the end just wasting of my time.

• Newgens are strange and too early reached PA. Many players who have nice atrbts in 19-21 years, but no progress later at all
  • My club started as semi-pro already won D1 but my sponsors still worst in D1
  • Some clubs still don't build new stadium, but my board build second already, despite it was better to wait 2-3 seasons and build just one bigger
  • New stadiums have no corners in 3d engine
  • In journeyman saves some clubs are good (better than FM17 for example), but other have terrible squad, have no idea how they play at all
  • sometimes feeling that ME lives own life - tactic, atributtes, all doesn't matter for possession, chances, result. But I absolutely know if goal is scored, it's 50% chance to score new goal in next minute, mb two minutes. Feature of current ME you know
  • I really don't like interface shell, it should have been updated a few years ago. Totally outdated and bugged 

I like tycoons, I love football, I addicted FM and played few houndred hours in FM21 before delete this, but at the end, bitterness and an unpleasant aftertaste remain. I was planning to take a break after FM20 but I didn't enjoy FM20 at all so I played FM21 too and for now I want to keep my time for better times. 

I would say I have mixed feelings, taking a team to the top and winning everything there is is no doubt very satisfying, however a little sense of sadness that the save has come to an end. Had a great save with Brno became the most dominant force in the Czech Rep. and winning a couple of CL titles was greating, but not losing a domestic game in three years became rather dull.

How do you define a 'really long save'? For example, in my current FM19 save I'm about to start the 33-34 season so (*scratches head*) that's 14 seasons factoring in starting unemployed and a spell unemployed between clubs.

In terms of RL time however I started playing this save at Xmas 2018 so the hours clocked count is pretty high. This save means a bit more too as it kept me going through various lockdowns so I'm pretty invested in it. I can only see three potential reasons why I'd give it up:

1. I achieved everything I wanted to in the game - I started unemployed at have worked my way up from league two to Bundesliga champions and the CL. I didn't have a goal at the start but what I'd like to achieve is to get the England manager's job and win a trophy. Why? Firstly, because it still rankles me that I got fired for an early confederations cup exit in CM03-04 and secondly, well because the Euros final still hurts...overriding emotion then? Mix of happiness and satisfaction

2. The game gets fundamentally broken as time progresses - for example I've abandoned a journeyman save before as regens were not that good and the sides who dominated were full of players 33+, which was a bit unrealistic. The final straw was I couldn't get Milan to sell me Donnaruma (they sold him elsewhere for less money than I offered) and there were no decent LBs, so I opted for a 343 which didn't really work. In my current save there's a dearth of aggressive DCMs and ball playing CBs which is quite irritating, but not enough to tip me over the edge. Overriding emotion if it did? Frustration.

3. I get a girlfriend. Not sure I could devote enough time to keep both of the loves of my life satisfied. The emotion? 😅

Edited by IbrahimAliMaher

So for me, a long save is about 20 seasons +, appreciate its different for everyone :)

Short-term, I answered your poll as "a bit sad". But my emotion is "a sense of relief" because when I quit a long-term save, it's got to feel, for me, like a job, rather than pleasure.

Longer-term, its very high satisfaction which I reflect on for years beyond :)

On 11/08/2021 at 05:35, CARRERA said:

Actually I really struggle to start a new one after finishing as it always feels like „I’ve went through all of this already“ and I usually take a break for a few weeks or month

I agree. But to avoid that, my next save is usually something totally different: a different continent, league level, personal profile, unemployed, etc.

I am now 600 hours in. Cork City FC. It's 2041. 270m in the bank. Everything upgraded. Won everything, except any of the Europes. Only made it as far as Second Knock Out Europe League. Have 5 wonderkids in my team. Can't create a reserve or -21 squad, but I do have a -19 squad. Have 4.5 stars coaches, so I need to upgrade them. Scouting can be improved as well. My physios are all female. As long there are still females in the game. I am now just following that carrot aka buying players, train them, sell them, rinse and repeat until I win one of the European cups. Or Ireland Premier League in Top 10. edit: without a reserve squad etc I am really handicapped, so EL or Conference league finale may be the highest, or so.

Back in days in 2017 or so I made it as far as 2 CL and 1 EL with Cork City as well. Both lost. I was so sad. Eventually deleted the safe. Regretted it a lot, but it was pure fun.

Edited by RinusFM

Honestly, I have no idea... lol 

It's been a while since I "finished" a long term save. I just get bored too quickly and start a new save that's completely different from the old one(usually I take a big break before starting it). 

My main issue with the game is that it's too easy when good times roll in. It's so easy to sustain them once you build a strong team. Almost nothing can break the cycle of you winning everything each year and that gets boring. You can change teams, but for some reason for a lot of my saves it just doesn't feel right, because of the nature of the save. (except journeyman types of course). And I also constantly get new ideas for a new save while playing the old one, and sometimes I give in... and then it's really hard to get back to the old save. 

I'm trying to remember how I felt when I did finish a long term save... hm... 

My first one was in FM 08. I took Welling to the EPL and won everything. It ran like 12 seasons and I gathered all the world stars like Pokemons in the end lol. Ronaldo, Messi, Fabregas, Rooney... They were like 35 each but FM 08 was weird like that and the players were still really good in their mid 30s. I think I felt really good when finishing that save. But it was my first long term one. 

The next long term save I can remember is from FM 15. It was in my home country Bulgaria and I took a club from the 2nd division to winning the CL a few times. Destroying Barca 7-1 in the CL final one time, oh I remember that. That save lasted again like 12-13 seasons, I think? I ended it prematurely(the goal was to get the Bulgarian League to the number one spot), because it got a bit boring and I made a massive error - failing FFP and having no CL football the next season. That basically killed the whole save since I didn't wanna waste a full season I just ended it. I was a bit sad because of my screw up. 

But I don't think I've ever finished another long term save... I mean, I have a few going, but they are not "finished" yet. I just get bored at some point and jump to a new save with the idea of getting back to the old one at some point later. And I do get back at it sometimes, but then life happens and I stop playing. Then I get a new idea and yeah... they drag on forever. 

I have like 2 or 3 long term saves on FM 18 alone that I need to finish. And yet I'm currently messing around with FM 20, cuz I found a super cool tactic that I can try a moneyball type save with, so yeah... 

On 06/08/2021 at 07:06, roykela said:

I invest +/- 1 year to one single save. Well, technically 2 saves. Testing the Beta and familiarising myself with new features for then to start a real career save when the full game is released.
I play that save until the next Beta is out.
It's a neutral feeling for me. It has run its course and i move on to a new career.

-Edit-
Normally i manage to get to between 2050-2070 so there are a lot of seasons.
This year it won't be so much as i haven't played as much as i usually play, due to other commitments.

How many hours do you roughly play a week to get that far into the future, I've always wanted to get really far into the future starting from the current season, but have never achieved it

10 hours ago, Colorado said:

How many hours do you roughly play a week to get that far into the future, I've always wanted to get really far into the future starting from the current season, but have never achieved it

For me getting that far I'd say around 3/4 hours a day and more on weekends.

Basically unless I'm out or watching a film I've got my laptop on and plugging away.

Guess that will change when kids come but, they're no hassle right? What I heard anyways so maybe shave an hour off when they come ;)

10 hours ago, Colorado said:

Not quite sure but the game is usually up and running every time i'm home.
Had 2738,3 hours with FM20. The vast majority of it is playtime, as it includes idle time as well (sleeping, working, forgetting to close the game etc).

I normally dont get past 10 seasons as weird things start happening with the game. The stadiums and regen faces are stale, so its starts to lack depth and some of the decisions made by the AI controlled teams is just bizarre

1 hour ago, metallimuse said:

For me getting that far I'd say around 3/4 hours a day and more on weekends.

Basically unless I'm out or watching a film I've got my laptop on and plugging away.

Guess that will change when kids come but, they're no hassle right? What I heard anyways so maybe shave an hour off when they come ;)

Enjoy it while it lasts, that's all I can say! 😀

Thank you all for your answers. As of today (8/20/21), 47% of survey answers claim negative emotions (empty, sad, anti-climatic) against 35% of positive (very happy, happy, and satisfied) upon ending a long save - and 18% neutral.

I just finished a three-month save managing Porto, Roma and Italy (three months may not sound too long for many in this forum, but for me it's a pretty long stretch of time). By 2030, I was getting bored and decided that I'd only play one additional season if I win silver. To no avail, I ended runner-up in both Italian cup and top league, and also lost to Nigeria in the World Cup. To end this save this way is a little bit disappointing, even as I had won many trophies and awards over the decade...

Well, well,... In my next save, I plan to start at a very low league in a small club, maybe with a smaller number of playable leagues for a change.

Regards.

Edited by phd_angel

• 2 weeks later...