Champ Man 0102

The amount of people that are still playing Championship Manager 01/02 is absolutely crazy (just do a twitter search) 

So it made me think, are sigames missing a trick by not doing a Championship Manager type FM game with only text as the match? 

I understand they have FM Touch but it's not the same. 

If Sega gave the 01/02 community access to the game code and let them update things such as competition structures (champions league has changed formats etc), FM would have taken a massive sales hit. 

No... 

Yes... 

Kinda... 

Seriously, 0102 is awesome and it's even better with all the updates the community has put together. I much rather play that than FMT. 

A modernized 0102 would be the best thing since sliced cheese. Like, shut up and take my money-good. 

I don't see the point in this thread either. You can always go into Settings > Preferences > Match and set the Highlight Mode to "Only Commentary" if you want FM19 to be more like CM01/02.

4 minutes ago, FrazT said:

The Championship Manager brand is owned by EA sports and has nothing to do with SEGA/SI so this thread has little relevance

I thought it was Square Enix (who took over Eidos) - or have I missed something?

28 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I thought it was Square Enix (who took over Eidos) - or have I missed something?

You are right- got my companies starting with E mixed up, although I have never come across Square Enix!

47 minutes ago, FrazT said:

You are right- got my companies starting with E mixed up, although I have never come across Square Enix!

All I know about Square Enix is that they do Final Fantasy ans are therefore awesome. I don't play many computer games though so they could be the actual devil for all I know lol

• SI Staff

I'm not going to even try to go into the intricacies of what happened when we changed publishers .. beyond indicating that I've enjoyed working with people from a wide array of other companies as part of my employment at SI and found them all to be very professional and ultimately helpful in ensuring the studio has been successful.

You are correct however in that FM Mobile is intended to be a spiritual successor to the original CM01-02 game which was very much a labor of love for me :)

18 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

You are correct however in that FM Mobile is intended to be a spiritual successor to the original CM01-02 game which was very much a labor of love for me :)

Interesting to read that Mark as I had never made that connection but get what you mean. I wonder whether, in hindsight, SI made that connection obvious enough when promoting the launch of FM Mobile? 

8 hours ago, Footix said:

Folks, for all things 0102 head over to www.champman0102.co.uk

Full game (legal, courtesy of Eidos / Square Enix) , patches and updates available for download 

See ya! 😃

I was about to post this.  Seeing as people still talk about it, I thought I'd give it a try and see how it stacks up.

I honestly can't see why people would play this today over the current iteration of FM.  Tactics wise its extremely limited and the interface is all over the place.

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

I honestly can't see why people would play this today over the current iteration of FM.  Tactics wise its extremely limited and the interface is all over the place.

Because it's a classic. It's the same for me with CM 99/00. I still play it now (recently started a career as Cheltenham Town in Division 3), and whilst I've not played loads of FM19 yet, if I had to choose between the 2, then it's CM 99/00 every time. For most it's because it was the game that defined their teenage (and beyond) years.

I much prefer the retro game scene than the modern one.

1 hour ago, Peter Morgan said:

Because it's a classic. It's the same for me with CM 99/00. I still play it now (recently started a career as Cheltenham Town in Division 3), and whilst I've not played loads of FM19 yet, if I had to choose between the 2, then it's CM 99/00 every time. For most it's because it was the game that defined their teenage (and beyond) years.

I much prefer the retro game scene than the modern one.

I love retro games too. But CM01/02 really didn't feel like it's aged well. To me at least. 

I totally understand both sides of the fence here. I'll occasionally fire up The Double (man, I loved that game back in the day), Multi-Player Soccer Manager, Kenny Dalglish, Graham Souness, or Football Director, on my C64 emulator and play for hours and hours. These are the games that started my football management addiction, and it's still fun to occasionally revisit them. 

I also fondly remember CM0102. I did reinstall it on an old netbook a couple of years back, but never got back into it. It's great to see the love that it's still receiving on here though. 

Football management games have moved on massively since the text-based games of my youth. It's hard to beat shear pick-up-and-playability of the old games though. 

I grew up a bit more with CM4 02-03. But I still played 01-02 A LOT as it's the one I started with.

Those were great great games. I played them not that long ago, and can still spend hours and hours on it.

Some months ago I tried again CM4 (the one who really got me into the series) but I didn't last more than an hour. I was missing almost everything really, even going back to FM18 is weird to me because of the so simple and limiting training section...

And I'm someone who likes old games. Just not this one :)

8 hours ago, Baodan said:

I gave it a look and it has not aged well. Seems like you'd need some heavy nostalgia to even consider playing it over any of the current manager games.

Pretty much this. Ever since roles and duties became such a huge part of FM, I've not really been able to get into the older CM games. I also don't get why CM01/02 is regarded so highly by so many users (maybe because it's free now?). Personally, I don't think it's all that different from CM00/01, which I played a lot when I was younger.

1 minute ago, 99 said:

Some months ago I tried again CM4 (the one who really got me into the series) but I didn't last more than an hour. I was missing almost everything really, even going back to FM18 is weird to me because of the so simple and limiting training section...

And I'm someone who likes old games. Just not this one :)

I loved CM4 as a teenager, but I revisited it six years ago - and it had aged terribly. Even when you put aside all the progress that's been made over the last 15 years, CM4 was ravaged with bugs and was even missing quite a few features we took for granted during the CM3 era. It should never have been released in the state it was in.

9 minutes ago, Welshace said:

I still play it... it's no USM though....

Ultimate Soccer Manager! My god that game was good - ha!

Just think, in 15 to 20 years they'll be saying the same about FM19. "Hey guys, remember when you had to choose a pre-written sentence in order to interact with players?" "I know! And the best they could offer was a 3D match engine!"

Bring back Premier Manager on the Mega Drive I say.

13 ore fa, Footix ha scritto:

With some skins and patches applied, it's not that bad?

There are a couple of main deal-breakers for me...

1) Attributes are sorted alphabetically, which makes it impossible to assess a player's skills, as my brain is wired to look for the "new" Technical/Mental/Physical columns

2) Commentary only may be great for speedruns and "immersion", but boy, does matches feel like RGN. Tactical-wise there are a handful of choices whose effect you can only guess in hindsight... Like, you switched to Long/Attacking and won 3-0, so it may have worked... But really who can tell?

3) Clunky interface. (I know, the current one is also a terrible mess to navigate through, with tabs, sub-menus etc, but the new-old CM one with drop-down menus slapped over the good old blocky UI was just too clunky.

And I DO have fond memories of wasted afternoons, FOR YEARS, from CM96-97 onwards... But nostalgia isn't powerful enough to make me forget more modern FMs have a half-reliable representation of the match, and countless of other features.
As vocal as I've been in criticizing current FM's many many many quirks, flaws and questionable choices, it's impossible to deny the game has improved to an incredible degree over the years.

Going back can work for a quick trip down memory lane, but as an actual gaming experience, it's kinda disappointing.

The best thing on CM0102 was that you could finish a season in a 1-2 hours. A know a few people who stayed on that game forever. They just liked the fast processing and simplicity of that game.

15 hours ago, Footix said:

With some skins and patches applied, it's not that bad?

Can you send me the links ( here or in a PM)  for downloading that game and also that patch you posted in the screenshot?

I still go back to it every now and then. Love it. I'll just unload some Super Greek nostalgia:

GK Chioitis
DL Kalogeras
DC Anastasiadis
DC Tobros
DC Traianos Dellas
DC Andrielos
SC Skalidis
SC Alexandros Papadopolous
SC Angelos Charisteas

:)

• Administrators
2 hours ago, RBKalle said:

There are a couple of main deal-breakers for me...

1) Attributes are sorted alphabetically, which makes it impossible to assess a player's skills, as my brain is wired to look for the "new" Technical/Mental/Physical columns

2) Commentary only may be great for speedruns and "immersion", but boy, does matches feel like RGN. Tactical-wise there are a handful of choices whose effect you can only guess in hindsight... Like, you switched to Long/Attacking and won 3-0, so it may have worked... But really who can tell?

3) Clunky interface. (I know, the current one is also a terrible mess to navigate through, with tabs, sub-menus etc, but the new-old CM one with drop-down menus slapped over the good old blocky UI was just too clunky.

And I DO have fond memories of wasted afternoons, FOR YEARS, from CM96-97 onwards... But nostalgia isn't powerful enough to make me forget more modern FMs have a half-reliable representation of the match, and countless of other features.
As vocal as I've been in criticizing current FM's many many many quirks, flaws and questionable choices, it's impossible to deny the game has improved to an incredible degree over the years.

Going back can work for a quick trip down memory lane, but as an actual gaming experience, it's kinda disappointing.

1) is a big deal when you're so used to something else. Other changes to the interface, like players on squad screen in two columns - which was huge when this changed - is another big thing. 

2) Not being able to "see" whats going on is an issue because it could be harder in many ways to figure out how to improve your team. Arguably easier nowadays. 

3) I think the design of CM3 (and more to the point, CM2 series) was very easy and quick to learn. In contrast, the latest series loads of screens are very different, layout is not as consistent. Yet as the same time, lots of UX improvements done over the years that change the way you play the game now.

Database quality and Transfers and Contracts has improved over the years as well, much less exploits than in the fabled CM3/CM2 games in terms of super players and wonderkids. 

Main reason I might go back to an old version is for the nostalgia but if I want a quick game nowadays I just play FM Touch. 

46 minutes ago, yolixeya said:

The best thing on CM0102 was that you could finish a season in a 1-2 hours. A know a few people who stayed on that game forever. They just liked the fast processing and simplicity of that game.

Can you send me the links ( here or in a PM)  for downloading that game and also that patch you posted in the screenshot?

Register at www.champman0102.co.uk and have a look around. We're a friendly bunch over there. :)

Game, patches, graphics, it's all available on the above url. 

33 minutes ago, Footix said:

Register at www.champman0102.co.uk and have a look around. We're a friendly bunch over there. :)

Game, patches, graphics, it's all available on the above url. 

Ok, I registred and I'm downloading the game. If I want to install March 2019 Data Update I also first need to download and install  SI Games Official Patch - v3.9.68. Is that correct? And what patch I need to install to have a starting date like in your screenshot? It is easier form to ask you then to browse a completely new site for me. I hope you don't mind.

6 hours ago, yolixeya said:

Ok, I registred and I'm downloading the game. If I want to install March 2019 Data Update I also first need to download and install  SI Games Official Patch - v3.9.68. Is that correct? And what patch I need to install to have a starting date like in your screenshot? It is easier form to ask you then to browse a completely new site for me. I hope you don't mind.

I think this thread should cover the installation:

https://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10099

Regarding step 6: there's a few variations of the latest patch, namely which screen resolution and game speed you'd like. I'd suggest going with the highest screen resolution possible for your machine, and 8x speed. Faster speeds are available but make the matches fairly hard to follow. At 200x speed the text just fly by, lol

Graphics etc are available in various threads in the relevant sub forum:

https://champman0102.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13

I think it's easier if you give it a go and rather start a thread over there if you run into any issues.

Happy gaming!

Archived