South Korea vs Mexico - 4pm BST - ITV1

craigcwwe

6 minutes ago, The Rebel MC said:

I think Mexico could be my favourite team from World Cups after England...their name just sounds all footbally.

So you are actively trying to be disappointed. 😁

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I'd agree if his arm was just above his body, but it was bloody vertical. Haven't seen that in a while.

If they allowed situations like this, how long would it be before defenders try to exploit it?

What about shots that are clearly headed on target but stopped by non-deliberate handballs where arm isn't close to the body?

That is why I would like it if we judge it by whether the handball is deliberate or not. It's ridiculous to see defenders defending crosses by having their hands on the back of their body.

2 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

That is why I would like it if we judge it by whether the handball is deliberate or not. It's ridiculous to see defenders defending crosses by having their hands on the back of their body.

Are you serious?

Defenders would just take a goalkeeper-like stance then, just without moving their arms after the cross/shot is made.

As I said already, it would be really unfair towards attackers.

10 minutes ago, Marc Albrighton said:

No matter how obvious the decision you still get the few who disagree, not having a go but you can see why VAR will always be problematic when even the most seemingly obvious decisions can be interpreted in a different way.

While I agree that this is somewhat of an issue for the VAR system to overcome I 'll also say that you are talking about the opinions from some fans. If you show this situation to referees you'd get well over 99% calling the penalty.

4 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

That's basically what the laws do currently. 

5 minutes ago, Readingfanman said:

Any England fan should be 100% wanting a Mexico win here. If Mexico win, England can guarantee no match v Brazil or Germany in the quarters.

Brazil could still come second

14 minutes ago, Mr Wallin said:

While I agree that this is somewhat of an issue for the VAR system to overcome I 'll also say that you are talking about the opinions from some fans. If you show this situation to referees you'd get well over 99% calling the penalty.

Really? Referees for years upon years have made decisions that have baffled the majority of fans.

2 minutes ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

The worrying thing is that this is the CL final referee, idiot!

When one referee makes (or doesn't make as in this case) calls in a certain way you can question his judgement. When more or less all the referees in the tournament makes the same decisions in game after game it's the instructions one has to look at. 

I'm no fan of the way this tournament is refereed (I didn't like 2014 either) but unfortunately there is way too many "real" football fans that screams to high heavens when about the game being ruined when a player gets sent off/suspended for anything that doesn't force the opponent to an hospital and thus FIFA have chickened out and opted for this approach. IMO it will mean less goals and more injuries but it's not my choice to make and I won't fault an individual referee for following how he's been instructed to act.

Well, the ref didn’t hesitate did a moment. And he is. Very good ref. If he hadn’t done CL final, wouldn’t be surprised if he got WC final. 

Too bad bc game is essentially even but for that pen. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Wallin said:

When one referee makes (or doesn't make as in this case) calls in a certain way you can question his judgement. When more or less all the referees in the tournament makes the same decisions in game after game it's the instructions one has to look at. 

I'm no fan of the way this tournament is refereed (I didn't like 2014 either) but unfortunately there is way too many "real" football fans that screams to high heavens when about the game being ruined when a player gets sent off/suspended for anything that doesn't force the opponent to an hospital and thus FIFA have chickened out and opted for this approach. IMO it will mean less goals and more injuries but it's not my choice to make and I won't fault an individual referee for following how he's been instructed to act.

I do agree with that assessment, I'm just tired of seeing good referees blatantly ignore correct judgement because of this approach and I'm holding them accountable in scenarios such as that, when there should be no doubt for common sense to apply. I would expect a CL final referee to have acted upon some of the calls in this game with better judgement. South Korea are getting away with all sorts, just ruins the game for me.

I can count the number of referee displays I've been impressed with on one hand, I particularly liked Brych's display in last night's game a lot, people called his bookings on Serbia harsh but that was a referee doing his job without the blatant leniency you've spoken of.

It's particularly infuriating for those of us who gamble, referees have cost me money over cards in their blatant disregard for rules across this tournament i.e. England vs. Tunisia and as such, I'm particularly bitter even after stopping! However, there is of course that element of risk, as was once said to me, don't risk money on a personal opinion. Unfortunately, I just don't listen ;) 

7 minutes ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

It's particularly infuriating for those of us who gamble, referees have cost me money over cards in their blatant disregard for rules across this tournament i.e. England vs. Tunisia and as such, I'm particularly bitter even after stopping! However, there is of course that element of risk, as was once said to me, don't risk money on a personal opinion. Unfortunately, I just don't listen ;) 

Well that's just poor research tbh. If you had asked anyone that follows refereeing stuff (yea I know, not that many of us :D ) they could have told you long before the tournament started that there would be no more cards this time than there was in 2014 (i.e not a lot). Not sure what the over/under is for cards but I wouldn't ever put money on anything > 2 tbh.

44 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Brazil could still come second

2 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Germany can still win the group as well. 

Yes, although right now the logical outcome is Brazil vs Germany in the next round but Germany might well be eliminated today.

I found out last time around that being Mexican at a World Cup is a lot more fun being English. I don't have a lot to thank my dad for but I do in this case, especially given I'm eligible for Mexican citizenship (as he never fails to remind me. including when we were discussing the Germany game) and my sisters aren't. Given how completely un-Mexican I feel otherwise I've never seen the point in taking it up but occasionally I do consider it.

14 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Yes, although right now the logical outcome is Brazil vs Germany in the next round but Germany might well be eliminated today.

You think we'll beat them??? Oh darn you have a lot more faith in the Swedish team that I have.  :D 

1 minute ago, Mr Wallin said:

You think we'll beat them??? Oh darn you have a lot more faith in the Swedish team that I have.  :D 

I actually don't think you'll win, but in theory it is possible.

Archived