Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I'm thinking of starting a new career (had one on FM12 which lasted less than 2 seasons if that even counts) but I'm stuck on what I want. Current ideas include:

- Starting unemployed with Sunday League reputation and having a world journeyman

- Starting with a local Irish or Northern Irish (I move between Dublin and Belfast so hence why both countries would have 'local' teams to me) and see where that takes me

- Starting with Liverpool (team I support) or Southampton and imposing a UK + Irish transfers only ruling as well as bringing through as many youth team players as possible

- Starting with Barcelona (regularly go over to see them) and similar to Liverpool but only signing U18s and having my entire squad come through the ranks and be 'Home-Grown'

- Starting unemployed but with a good reputation and trying to reawaken fallen giants from around the world.

I'm also open to any other suggestions and ideas. At the moment, I'm leaning towards Liverpool. Thanks in advance for any feedback, whether positive or negative.

The reawakening of fallen giants. I nearly did this, in mine I was planning to take over one and then move on to the next one after winning the CL, for example start at Notts Forest then go off to France for St. Etienne or Stade Reims.

There's loads you could do, those mentioned above, Monaco, Torino, Red Star Belgrade, Nantes, Ferencvaros, Honvéd, NK Ljubljana, Dynamo Dresden, Hamburg, Verona, Bologna, Real Sociedad, Preston, Huddersfield, Wolves, Willem II, Feyenoord, HVV Den Haag probably more that I can't remember top off my head too :D

The reawakening of fallen giants. I nearly did this, in mine I was planning to take over one and then move on to the next one after winning the CL, for example start at Notts Forest then go off to France for St. Etienne or Stade Reims.

There's loads you could do, those mentioned above, Monaco, Torino, Red Star Belgrade, Nantes, Ferencvaros, Honvéd, NK Ljubljana, Dynamo Dresden, Hamburg, Verona, Bologna, Real Sociedad, Preston, Huddersfield, Wolves, Willem II, Feyenoord, HVV Den Haag probably more that I can't remember top off my head too :D

Blackpool. ;)
The fallen giants thing is an excellent idea. Could do Ipswich :D
Or an actual club that was a giant :brock:
:D

TBH Liverpool wouldn't be that hard, i've seen the AI manage it in the first season 2 or 3 times now so it should be easy under human management :eek:

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I've decided to go with the sleeping giants and only manage teams that haven't won their top domestic league in the past 10 years and will only move on when I've at least improved the club but hopefully have won both the league and continental title or if I get sacked. Should be up later today, if not first thing tomorrow morning.

Has anyone tried out a long-term career save with any of the edited leagues that are kicking around? I'm working on my next career, and plan on making use of some of the fantastic extra leagues that have been created, including such highlights as North Korea, Congo and...Wales. Would hate to run into any errors or crash dumps once I'd started, although for the most part I trust the edited parts.

Also, I ran a bit of a test on the number of countries and leagues that I wanted to include last night. After kicking off the DB at around 11 last night, I left it running overnight with one unemployed manager on holiday, starting at July 2012 in game. When I returned at around 830, the game had reached August 2013.

Now for around 9 hours of holiday time, advancing around 14 months is pretty cripplingly slow, right? I can't quite remember how many countries I'd loaded in total, but it was a lot. Would love to start with that many, but at 1/2 star speed rating, and the results of my little test, not sure how wise it is to go on with so many loaded. Any advice?

Okay, I'm thinking of starting a new career (had one on FM12 which lasted less than 2 seasons if that even counts) but I'm stuck on what I want. Current ideas include:

- Starting unemployed with Sunday League reputation and having a world journeyman

- Starting with a local Irish or Northern Irish (I move between Dublin and Belfast so hence why both countries would have 'local' teams to me) and see where that takes me

- Starting with Liverpool (team I support) or Southampton and imposing a UK + Irish transfers only ruling as well as bringing through as many youth team players as possible

- Starting with Barcelona (regularly go over to see them) and similar to Liverpool but only signing U18s and having my entire squad come through the ranks and be 'Home-Grown'

- Starting unemployed but with a good reputation and trying to reawaken fallen giants from around the world.

I'm also open to any other suggestions and ideas. At the moment, I'm leaning towards Liverpool. Thanks in advance for any feedback, whether positive or negative.

A true sleeping giant would be Pro Vercelli. Seven time Italian league winners!

Has anyone tried out a long-term career save with any of the edited leagues that are kicking around? I'm working on my next career, and plan on making use of some of the fantastic extra leagues that have been created, including such highlights as North Korea, Congo and...Wales. Would hate to run into any errors or crash dumps once I'd started, although for the most part I trust the edited parts.

Also, I ran a bit of a test on the number of countries and leagues that I wanted to include last night. After kicking off the DB at around 11 last night, I left it running overnight with one unemployed manager on holiday, starting at July 2012 in game. When I returned at around 830, the game had reached August 2013.

Now for around 9 hours of holiday time, advancing around 14 months is pretty cripplingly slow, right? I can't quite remember how many countries I'd loaded in total, but it was a lot. Would love to start with that many, but at 1/2 star speed rating, and the results of my little test, not sure how wise it is to go on with so many loaded. Any advice?

I'm getting loads of crash dumps with edited leagues but that's on FM12 and I suspect the crashes are due to the very big database not the leagues. I already got crashes without edited leagues before.

FM13 for me was very slow on the off-season, I would offer caution on setting up the leagues and starting with a little bit less.

After the shambolic performance of Liverpool tonight I'm more determined to take over them and try having success with them.

Don't let Enrique or Johnson try and pass a football then while you're at it.

I'm thinking for FM14, maybe we should have a forum-wide challenge?

Like have the same 5-6 leagues to start with (first season), then the challenge grows organically from there.

Example:

Italy

Spain

Germany

France

UK

Russia

We go for any club in their bottom division, all semi-pro. Then let the fun begin?

I'm thinking for FM14, maybe we should have a forum-wide challenge?

Like have the same 5-6 leagues to start with (first season), then the challenge grows organically from there.

Example:

Italy

Spain

Germany

France

UK

Russia

We go for any club in their bottom division, all semi-pro. Then let the fun begin?

I like it! An official FMCU challenge! Nice idea.

Might need to work on which leagues to load though to satisfy everyone but also ensure all can compete even with lower spec machines. Could be difficult.

I like it! An official FMCU challenge! Nice idea.

Might need to work on which leagues to load though to satisfy everyone but also ensure all can compete even with lower spec machines. Could be difficult.

Well, the idea was that everyone had a start point. After that season, you can add leagues, take away leagues, go to Asia, India, wherever, stay in the job for years, become a journeyman. The point would be that EVERYONE starts the same.

I like the idea of that - it's good to have a common starting point to keep some structure, but then lose the structure to let everyone treat their save as their own. The existing challenges are great, but they're pretty narrow - this one should suit everyone.

Yeah, I think it's a good idea too, but I think the spread of leagues would need looking at. As someone who's starts at the lowest level possible with Sunday League rep, I'd want more than the choice of Italy or England to choose from (I wouldn't get offered positions from any of the other leagues).

So, yes, in principle, I think it's a good idea, but would like to see the logistics before committing to it :)

Yeah, I think it's a good idea too, but I think the spread of leagues would need looking at. As someone who's starts at the lowest level possible with Sunday League rep, I'd want more than the choice of Italy or England to choose from (I wouldn't get offered positions from any of the other leagues).

So, yes, in principle, I think it's a good idea, but would like to see the logistics before committing to it :)

Same here. I also start with the lowest level possible with Sunday League rep and would want to see the detail first.

Does anyone ever just manage a nation and no club? I know it's a bit boring but I'm strongly considering it at some point. I don't mind holidaying for a long time while I use the internet.

I think I did it for a little bit on FM12 when I managed New Zealand after leaving Darlington. Was for 5 month or so until Blackpool approached me.

I might give it a go, I know it might sound a bit strange but I'd like to get through a few seasons and see if any club jobs catch my eye, I'm not willing to holiday through matches though. I've already played more seasons in this save than I have in any other save ever.

Does anyone find the odds in FM13 to be a bit messed up some of the time?

Like, for example, I have noticed having huge odds in my favour to beat a side away from home who are actually much better than my team (or predicted to finish higher than my club) for no particular reason at all.

Then, when I go to team talks, they don't seem to align with the odds. For example, the context for some of the team talks suggests that you are huge underdogs. And your assistant advises that you should encourage the team because nobody fancies you to win here (despite the odds apparently being overwhelmingly in your favour).

Anyone else notice this?

Does anyone find the odds in FM13 to be a bit messed up some of the time?

Like, for example, I have noticed having huge odds in my favour to beat a side away from home who are actually much better than my team (or predicted to finish higher than my club) for no particular reason at all.

Then, when I go to team talks, they don't seem to align with the odds. For example, the context for some of the team talks suggests that you are huge underdogs. And your assistant advises that you should encourage the team because nobody fancies you to win here (despite the odds apparently being overwhelmingly in your favour).

Anyone else notice this?

I don't really pay much attention to the odds, but I have noticed times where my assistant thinks we're underdogs when we really shouldn't be. Given I usually trust my assistant about as much as I'd trust a labrador in similar situations, I usually just ignore it.

I might give it a go, I know it might sound a bit strange but I'd like to get through a few seasons and see if any club jobs catch my eye, I'm not willing to holiday through matches though. I've already played more seasons in this save than I have in any other save ever.

I've had a few saves where I've gone exclusively international, but I rarely have a save where I don't manage them in some capacity. The international side of the game really interests me. Plus it's a very quick way to fire through seasons if you don't have too many leagues loaded.

Something definitely is wrong.

I've noticed it before but tried to ignore it but I really ought to post a bug report.

On the pre-match screen, it contradicts itself sometimes too. For instance, it'll say, 'I can't look beyond team x for this match' and then below the odds will be overwhelmingly in team y's favour.

I guess it's just another FM13 bug. I honestly feel like this is the most buggy version of the game since FM09.

Does anyone ever just manage a nation and no club? I know it's a bit boring but I'm strongly considering it at some point. I don't mind holidaying for a long time while I use the internet.

I'm considering it too, think it'd be better than doing both nation and club, I've done that a few times and it's too much for me, I always quit the international job as soon as I can.

Haven't yet, but I will do if the opportunity arises in my current game. Tried to do both with Paraguay and Hertha, but it was taking too long (plus Paraguay were rubbish).

I did on FM12 as well, England and Turkey. It's a nice change of pace for a while but you end up wanting to go back to club football fairly quickly.

Something definitely is wrong.

I've noticed it before but tried to ignore it but I really ought to post a bug report.

On the pre-match screen, it contradicts itself sometimes too. For instance, it'll say, 'I can't look beyond team x for this match' and then below the odds will be overwhelmingly in team y's favour.

I guess it's just another FM13 bug. I honestly feel like this is the most buggy version of the game since FM09.

I'm sure it's always been like this, the betting odds don't always match up with the 'commentators' predictions.

Archived