Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

Ah yes, I am familiar with Paradox and EU3 as I have it. :D

Excellent game, albeit in a niche market. I do not have Windows 8 - and do not plan on getting it anytime soon either. In fact, when I upgrade my PC next (either March this year or next year), I will get someone to build it for me with Windows 7.

Well my original plan was to put my SSD (with W7) in the new one, but that proved to be impossible. W8 is a bit irritating, and I can see why people find it a bit of a pain, but hardly 'game-breaking'.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is way off topic but I really wanted to share the moment that I managed to beat FTL: Faster Than Light on normal mode. I'm so happy as I have been playing this game for ages and had only beaten the Rebel Flagship a couple of times on easy mode before this!

This was the scene as my ship landed the final blow on the Rebel Flagship:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125365825

So tense. I was down to one point of hull left, with fires everywhere and shields down.

I was punching the air when I saw this screen:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125365831

Only took 48 hours of play time for my first win on normal mode. :D

I think we have a few FTL players in here. For those who don't know about it, the game is about running a spaceship and trying to save the galaxy. It's super hard and very punishing but a ton of fun. I highly recommend the game to my fellow FMCUers if you are looking for a little break from FM now and then. It's an amazing game! :cool:

That's all well and good, Crouchy, but it doesn't get your career thread back up and running, does it? Are you finished with it now? Will there ever be a new one?

My Mezzocorona save is dead due to the Italian taxes bug. I was extremely cross with FM for a while after saying goodbye to Mezzocorona so had a few weeks away from the game (and also, I have just moved house as well, so that has kept me busy).

I've been craving FM really badly though and the last day or so I've been thinking about what kind of save I want to do next. I did think about returning to Mezzocorona and starting from scratch but I don't think I have the patience to start again after all, plus I think Italy's finances are still a bit dodgy. Therefore, I've pretty much settled on starting a journeyman save instead.

I have written my opening post and I'm ready to begin but I'm just having some doubts about which leagues I should load. As usual, I'm having terrible trouble settling on which countries I want. I have ten countries in mind (and all leagues loaded from these nations) so far but I'm wondering if I should sneak another couple on top or not. I'm tempted to do so but then, at the same time, I'm always a fan of a fairly quick paced game versus having loads and loads of leagues. But I'm just so indecisive when it comes to starting an FM save. :rolleyes:

I'm always a fan of a fairly quick paced game versus having loads and loads of leagues. But I'm just so indecisive when it comes to starting an FM save. :rolleyes:

I'm the same :D Maybe if you like the idea of a bit of freedom to move but you're not sure where have a few view only divisions, that way if you see a team struggle, or a dominance that you'd like to break then you can add that division as playable the following season?

Decided that since I can't work for the next month or so Malmo won't be much of a long term challenge as I never set myself any goals so now i'm going through a few ideas for myself which include

Holidaying 2 years and see if a big team from any division gets relegated.

A journey across the Alps - start unemployed with Sunday rep and only accept job offers from clubs around the Alps (maybe slightly extended to within 10 miles if this proves difficult)

Des Tiny's Iron curtain idea from last year.

Torino - based on this challenge

Restore former glories - Take on fallen giants only (the club must not have won a major competition since 1992)

I know this is way off topic but I really wanted to share the moment that I managed to beat FTL: Faster Than Light on normal mode. I'm so happy as I have been playing this game for ages and had only beaten the Rebel Flagship a couple of times on easy mode before this!

So tense. I was down to one point of hull left, with fires everywhere and shields down.

I think we have a few FTL players in here. For those who don't know about it, the game is about running a spaceship and trying to save the galaxy. It's super hard and very punishing but a ton of fun. I highly recommend the game to my fellow FMCUers if you are looking for a little break from FM now and then. It's an amazing game! :cool:

Very well done :applause:. I still haven't beaten it on Easy mode never mind Normal.

Great stuff Crouchy. So you decided to buy the game after all - if you remember, we spoke on Steam as you wantred to know if it was any good. You know your answer now. :D

I'm the same :D Maybe if you like the idea of a bit of freedom to move but you're not sure where have a few view only divisions, that way if you see a team struggle, or a dominance that you'd like to break then you can add that division as playable the following season?

That's a good idea, although I don't know if I will implement it in my save as I don't normally like to use view-only leagues due to the fact that they don't load in players.

But the general point of adding and removing leagues is a good one, for sure. If I'm unhappy with the speed, or finding that I'm not going to manage in a certain country after a number of years in the game, I can always remove it later on. :thup:

Decided that since I can't work for the next month or so Malmo won't be much of a long term challenge as I never set myself any goals so now i'm going through a few ideas for myself which include

Holidaying 2 years and see if a big team from any division gets relegated.

A journey across the Alps - start unemployed with Sunday rep and only accept job offers from clubs around the Alps (maybe slightly extended to within 10 miles if this proves difficult)

Des Tiny's Iron curtain idea from last year.

Torino - based on this challenge

Restore former glories - Take on fallen giants only (the club must not have won a major competition since 1992)

I like the Iron Curtain one. Go for it! :)

Very well done :applause:. I still haven't beaten it on Easy mode never mind Normal.

Thanks HRB! Stick with it and you'll get there.

To be quite honest, I didn't think I would ever beat it on normal and as you can see from my screenshots it was a damn close call!

I think the key for me was not overvaluing shields so much, realising just how important engine upgrades are (especially when you don't have defensive drones), working on getting a good level of powerful weaponry and also upgrading pretty much everything, even if it doesn't get power, so that if it gets hit it doesn't go straight offline (e.g. the med bay and oxygen rooms). Also, The Osprey (Federation Cruiser) is really good as it comes with the awesome artillery beam which you can upgrade.

The other times I have completed the game have been on easy and they have all come with The Kestrel Cruiser. To be honest, that's the main ship I've played with so far. I've yet to get really into drones, cloaking or teleporting although I've dabbled a bit in each.

Great stuff Crouchy. So you decided to buy the game after all - if you remember, we spoke on Steam as you wantred to know if it was any good. You know your answer now. :D

Yeah, I love this game. It's seriously one of my favourite games ever!

I still have a ton of stuff left to do in the game. I've unlocked six ships so need to unlock three more. And then there are the type B layouts, which I only have one of (for the Kestrel Cruiser).

Have you been enjoying it Daz?

SRL can be one of the many Liverpool supporters tweeting abuse at various members of the British press. :D

"You aren't biased enough in our favour even though 90% of the football media are ex-Liverpool players or supporters :mad:"

I don't know how a fanbase who can be so dignified in some areas (Hillsborough) can be so borish in others (everything else).

Follow the people/organisations you are interested in and you get a superb, up to date news feed on them.Follow the wrong people and it is terrible.

The Mirror's football writers are hands down the worst group. They're so Best League in Da World they make the Sun seem like quality journalism.

The Mirror's football writers are hands down the worst group. They're so Best League in Da World they make the Sun seem like quality journalism.

They're both crap to be fair.

Follow the people/organisations you are interested in and you get a superb, up to date news feed on them.Follow the wrong people and it is terrible.

Yep.

On football I follow mostly the clique of Guardian writers and bloggers associated with it (ex. Zonal Marking, Snap Kaka and Pop, guys from In Bed With Maradona etc etc), yeah it's a bit of a clique but they write intelligent articles and make interesting points.

I use it best probably to catch up with Formula 1 and other motorsports though, you get little bits of info here and there if you follow the right journalists and people.

It all ends up as a mix of news feed, links to opinion articles, and little tidbits, info snippets and banter (yeah "banter" is an awful word I know) from interesting people, plus the occasional real life folks (Twitter isn't very popular here it's not like Facebook so you only get very few real life friends and acquaintances) and guys from forums like this that you can interact more directly with. It's pretty nice - but as you say all depends on who you follow and what are you interested in.

I follow loads of wrestlers, footballers, comedians, comic book news twitter, various sportsmen along with lots of football fans. I'll talk to anyone about FM on twitter I quite enjoy using it. What are peoples twitter names on here?

Does anyone else use Opera browser? The reason I ask is i've been wanting to read (or watch would be more appropriate) Flamers thread on here but for some reason every time i've tried the page either takes ages to load or it just freezes, same happens with IE too and I don't have Chrome or Firefox to check with that. I've never had problems with pages that have lots of pictures or embedded videos before so it's a bit odd, Adobe are all up to date as is Java so it can't be those :confused:

Does anyone else use Opera browser? The reason I ask is i've been wanting to read (or watch would be more appropriate) Flamers thread on here but for some reason every time i've tried the page either takes ages to load or it just freezes, same happens with IE too and I don't have Chrome or Firefox to check with that. I've never had problems with pages that have lots of pictures or embedded videos before so it's a bit odd, Adobe are all up to date as is Java so it can't be those :confused:

I've been having problems in Opera also. I've noticed a severe lag on some websites like Alan Sepinwall's reviews or the SBNation pages. No lag here, but some threads don't show any of the pictures that I can deduce are there.

Unless Opera and IE are screwing about with HTML5 (thats all I can think of)

Could be, cheers mate I will get round to your thread as soon as a browser lets me :D

I've been having problems in Opera also. I've noticed a severe lag on some websites like Alan Sepinwall's reviews or the SBNation pages. No lag here, but some threads don't show any of the pictures that I can deduce are there.

Funnily enough I had problems with SRL88 pictures not showing for a while yesterday, but once I went out of the thread and went back later it was fine :confused: Don't really like chrome or firefox and safari is crap unless you're on a mac so hope whatever it is gets sorted soon, either that or I could go back to 12.1 or something on Opera because I had no problems before 12.2 came out and 12.3 and 12.4 are just as bad.

Now I need to know the story behind your avatar. :D

Sky Sports, around 2 years ago or so, were showing live darts. On Twitter, the sponsor invited questions to be asked, which I did. The sponsor, if they chose your question, got the darts girls to pose with a poster with the answer. Hence the picture. Bloody cool though. :D

Guys, I am thinking about starting another save to play alongside my journeyman one. I fancy a one club save and there are two options that interest me:

• dafuge's Challenge. Take a newly promoted club from the Blue Square North/South to Champions League glory.
  • Andorran Youth Product Challenge. Take an Andorran club to Champions League glory and the Andorran national team to World Cup success.

So, which one would folks prefer to read about?

Archived