Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

Another little issue/eccentricity on FM13: has anyone else noticed that sometimes, when giving individual team talks, a player will not react to your talk until you give a talk to someone else? Is that a bug or intentional?

For example, before a game, maybe I give one player 'you have faith' and another 'expect a performance'. The first player won't react until I give the second player talk and then, all of a sudden, he will have some feedback associated with him after I have completed the second talk.

It's weird. Pretty sure it's not intended to work that way. At least, it doesn't make much sense.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure it's always been like this, the betting odds don't always match up with the 'commentators' predictions.

Yeah, I'm sure it has but this is a bit extreme, don't you agree?

For example, it happened a lot in my Mezzocorona save. I'd be relegation candidates and I would be given the favourites label by a long shot against teams going for promotion.

It's almost like the odds are the wrong way around.

Yeah, I'm sure it has but this is a bit extreme, don't you agree?

For example, it happened a lot in my Mezzocorona save. I'd be relegation candidates and I would be given the favourites label by a long shot against teams going for promotion.

It's almost like the odds are the wrong way around.

It is a bit far out, now that I think about it. Although I've been away from FM13 for a good 2 months, only just getting back into it, so I can't properly compare it. :D

Here is an example of the match odds issue I was talking about above.

1) Pre-match - I am shown as clear favourites for this game away from home against the team predicted to come 2nd in the league:

Crouchy_NewsInbox-7_zps7e1e0668.png

2) The opposition team are predicted to finish 2nd in the league. My team is newly promoted and one of the favourites for relegation.

Trollhaumlttan_InformationGeneral_zps0b6fc8d4.png

Vimmerby_InformationGeneral_zps2016f7ec.png

3) The prediction for the game is: 'I can't look beyond...' the opposition team for this game, even though the match odds show that they are huge underdogs for the game. Essentially, the match odds and the commentator contradict each other.

TrollhaumlttanvVimmerby_PreviewMatchAnalysis_zpse032927f.png

4) Even my assistant is confused, advising me that 'nobody fancies us to win' despite the match odds being hugely in our favour. In addition, all of the team talks that have a context suggest that we are big underdogs.

TrollhaumlttanvVimmerby_AwayTacticsTeamTalk_zpsaa0b2b6d.png

This has happened quite a bit for me on FM13. For example, I'd be relegation candidates with Mezzocorona and I would be given the favourites label by a long shot against teams going for promotion for no reason I can ascertain. It's almost like the odds are the wrong way around.

There is definitely something not quite right about the pre-match odds in certain cases anyway.

I posted a bug thread here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/347106-13.2.3-Incorrect-match-odds-issue

Another little issue/eccentricity on FM13: has anyone else noticed that sometimes, when giving individual team talks, a player will not react to your talk until you give a talk to someone else? Is that a bug or intentional?

For example, before a game, maybe I give one player 'you have faith' and another 'expect a performance'. The first player won't react until I give the second player talk and then, all of a sudden, he will have some feedback associated with him after I have completed the second talk.

It's weird. Pretty sure it's not intended to work that way. At least, it doesn't make much sense.

Also, here is an example of the delayed individual team talk reaction I was talking about that I'm sure all of you have seen.

TrollhaumlttanvVimmerby_AwayTacticsTeamTalk-5_zpscd520dd8.png

No reaction given in the screenshot above by either player but then I give a talk to the next player up and...

TrollhaumlttanvVimmerby_AwayTacticsTeamTalk-6_zpsa6b005f0.png

Suddenly the last player I talked to has a reaction associated with him.

Very strange issue. Really does need a fix as it is frustrating.

I've also posted on the bugs forum about this. Someone has apparently suggested that it is intentional but surely not in the way it is currently working!

Also, here is an example of the delayed individual team talk reaction I was talking about that I'm sure all of you have seen.

Suddenly the last player I talked to has a reaction associated with him.

Very strange issue. Really does need a fix as it is frustrating.

I've also posted on the bugs forum about this. Someone has apparently suggested that it is intentional but surely not in the way it is currently working!

I think it is a bug, but more of a display issue. Say you talk to someone, and they should show a reaction - they will be processing a reaction behind the scenes, you just don't see it until you talk to someone else.

Or that could be rubbish and it's just generally broken, with players hearing voices in their heads.

Have you done any practice tests? My experience was that the questions were so ridiculous that even someone who had never read the highway code ought to be able to pass.

Not yet, didn't realize there were any. Just that there is so much in the code that it would be useful if i knew I didn't need to bother much with some of it, and could especially focus on other bits.

Having a hard time not believing the latest update hasn't unbalanced my team. Can't hold leads, players showing "complacent" body language when they never did before, giving the ball away because of trying Hollywood balls when there's a guy standing RIGHT NEXT TO HIM.

Not yet, didn't realize there were any. Just that there is so much in the code that it would be useful if i knew I didn't need to bother much with some of it, and could especially focus on other bits.

The main things I remember having to learn by rote were the colours of lights on the motorway, the different signs, stopping distances, and tyre pressures. The practice tests I did were on DVD, but there seem to be some here as well: http://www.safedrivingforlife.info/practicetheorytest/practicetests_car.html

In the test I did, most of the questions went something like:

A lorry ahead indicates left, but turns slightly to the right. Should you:

A) Sound your horn to notify them of the mistake, and overtake as quickly as possible.

B) Accelerate past, they are likely to be stopping.

C) Sound your horn to notify them of the mistake, and stop as quickly as possible.

D) Slow down in order to let the lorry make the left hand turn.

So yeah, not exactly rocket science.

The main things I remember having to learn by rote were the colours of lights on the motorway, the different signs, stopping distances, and tyre pressures. The practice tests I did were on DVD, but there seem to be some here as well: http://www.safedrivingforlife.info/practicetheorytest/practicetests_car.html

In the test I did, most of the questions went something like:

A lorry ahead indicates left, but turns slightly to the right. Should you:

A) Sound your horn to notify them of the mistake, and overtake as quickly as possible.

B) Accelerate past, they are likely to be stopping.

C) Sound your horn to notify them of the mistake, and stop as quickly as possible.

D) Slow down in order to let the lorry make the left hand turn.

So yeah, not exactly rocket science.

Pretty sure I saw a,b and c on my way to work this morning.

I posted in GD but might as well ask here as I think I'm more likely to get an answer. Can we manage in the CFA in France? I added the French leagues to my save but on the job screen it only lists the status of French jobs in the three leagues and not the CFA. Any idea?

I posted in GD but might as well ask here as I think I'm more likely to get an answer. Can we manage in the CFA in France? I added the French leagues to my save but on the job screen it only lists the status of French jobs in the three leagues and not the CFA. Any idea?

I have never been able to on any FM, nor have I ever seen an editor allowing me to either.

Wonder how the steam achievement works then if it's impossible to actually be promoted from the lowest French league, although the achievement does say lowest playable. Seems weird that' it's even a selectable league if we can't manage there.

Wonder how the steam achievement works then if it's impossible to actually be promoted from the lowest French league, although the achievement does say lowest playable. Seems weird that' it's even a selectable league if we can't manage there.

AFAIK, CFA is only playable if you get relegated. But IIRC the achievement doesn't require you to get promoted from that league, the one above is perfectly adequate, i.e. the lowest league playable from the start.

I'm swithering over what to do for my next career after some mixed success with my experiments, so thought I'd ask here...

Basically, two over-arching options

1) Go for the standard journeyman thread, starting somewhere humble and building up in the style of many threads on here. Sunday league manager, completely unknown, making his way in the world.

2) Go similar to number 1, but instead of starting a new game, add a new manager to my old Tetradecagon save and see if I can emulate some of the success my previous manager had in a completely different landscape.

I'm edging towards number two, as I don't think it's something anyone has attempted. It would also give me the chance to eventually continue with the legacy (or complete lack of) I put in place at places like Como and Hertha Berlin.

Actually, you know what, I might given number two a try anyway, and if it all falls apart I can go back to a more traditional save. But what do people think of the idea?

Good idea, be interesting starting with the footballing world looking very different to how it normally is.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I've gotten quite bored starting again - seeing the same old faces. I find it hard to care about the Messi/Ronaldo battle when I'm toughing it out in the fifth tier of Welsh football. I missed that save, so continuing it seems like a no-brainer. Even if it's just for a few more seasons, I'd like to see how things go.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I've gotten quite bored starting again - seeing the same old faces. I find it hard to care about the Messi/Ronaldo battle when I'm toughing it out in the fifth tier of Welsh football. I missed that save, so continuing it seems like a no-brainer. Even if it's just for a few more seasons, I'd like to see how things go.

Just a thought, but if you untick the "play with real players" box at the start, it'll solve your problem...

My old HP was terrible for that. I used to have to keep it "stilted up" at times to vent things enough, otherwise FM would bring it to its knees and force it into a temporary coma. It's common for the fans to be used extensively when FM is on - I assume Macs have the same killswitch PCs have to stop them overheating to the point of death, so you should be OK. If it starts shutting off regularly, maybe time to worry.

I got worried occasionally on the old laptop, not least since the processor was underspec (which is why though it's good for another year or two, I decided I needed a much better one for FM), but my friend unblocked the fan when he stayed a few months back so I was never that worried. This one sounds busy on FM rather a lot but it can take it, especially being within the recommended database size limit, which until FM12 I'd always thought of as rather cautious and ignored with impunity with no problems.

I'd also like to raise an interesting question. I've sometimes seen certain nations (Norway for one) described as being especially 'fun' nations to be in. Surely that depends on what happens, regardless of club or nation, so I was wondering how people can specifically describe certain nations or leagues as such?

Interesting. For me the Premier League has always had a very different attraction. Getting far into the game, the talent is well spread among different clubs and leagues, the money and rep of the Premier League allows you to tap into an excellent resource of players, even without being one of the bigger clubs, which appeals to me as an non-tactician who depends on squad-building to be successful.

For me Belgium is fun because of the different, well-thought league format, you always have something to play for all season long.

Yeah it's subjective and depends on your experiences but I definitely have had more fun in certain leagues than others. For example Switzerland I thought the top level was a bit sh*t due to having to play the same 10 teams multiple times over and over again. Malaysia was awful, there's no talent no potential whatsoever. Italy I always love it no matter what level from Serie C2 to Serie A.

For me Belgium is fun because of the different, well-thought league format, you always have something to play for all season long.

Yeah it's subjective and depends on your experiences but I definitely have had more fun in certain leagues than others. For example Switzerland I thought the top level was a bit sh*t due to having to play the same 10 teams multiple times over and over again. Malaysia was awful, there's no talent no potential whatsoever. Italy I always love it no matter what level from Serie C2 to Serie A.

Agree with that 100% it's ok for 3-4 years but unless you are doing the gundo challenge or something then it soon loses it's appeal. Saying that Slovenia is the same in terms of fixtures but I enjoyed that due to the rep being so low it means you've potentially got 10 years+ before you can win a European trophy so there was always an incentive to stick at it.

No I didn't mean the dullness of dominating a midlevel European league whilst waiting to triumph in Europe. Been there done that (in Croatia for Gundo challenge, to some extent Ajax in Holland too) and it was annoying yeah. What I meant is that Switzerland does that Scotland thing of the teams playing each other 4 times in a league season instead of 2. So you play the same 9 teams over and over and over again, whereas normally you'd have 15, 17 or 19 different opponents, that's a bit more variation at least.

That being said I've always wanted to play in Scotland for some reason, I'm probably going to hate it anyway when I do that.

Yes and possibly? I haven't checked the temp.
My old HP was terrible for that. I used to have to keep it "stilted up" at times to vent things enough, otherwise FM would bring it to its knees and force it into a temporary coma. It's common for the fans to be used extensively when FM is on - I assume Macs have the same killswitch PCs have to stop them overheating to the point of death, so you should be OK. If it starts shutting off regularly, maybe time to worry.
I got worried occasionally on the old laptop, not least since the processor was underspec (which is why though it's good for another year or two, I decided I needed a much better one for FM), but my friend unblocked the fan when he stayed a few months back so I was never that worried. This one sounds busy on FM rather a lot but it can take it, especially being within the recommended database size limit, which until FM12 I'd always thought of as rather cautious and ignored with impunity with no problems.

It's a brand new one that well eclipses the specs of my previous machine but sounds like it's going to take off during a game, even in a save with about 15 leagues loaded. There's a thread in the bugs forum with people saying that it is a problem because those that are running boot camp with windows don't experience the same fan speed and temp. Considering that though, it was reasonable last night but I want to load 40 leagues and still not have a problem. :D

Unless Apple have seriously screwed up the motherboard, it's not going to explode/melt/catch fire whatever happens, so if the noise doesn't bother you, you could carry on.

You have to go a fair way back to find a board that will overheat to a damaging level without shutting the machine down.

Personally though, it would drive me mad so I wouldn't bother.

It's a brand new one that well eclipses the specs of my previous machine but sounds like it's going to take off during a game, even in a save with about 15 leagues loaded. There's a thread in the bugs forum with people saying that it is a problem because those that are running boot camp with windows don't experience the same fan speed and temp. Considering that though, it was reasonable last night but I want to load 40 leagues and still not have a problem. :D

Is the fan accessible? I know that Apple like to hide pretty much everything, and sometimes solder things on so you can't fix them yourself, but if you can get to it I would have a look and see if something's blocking it. It's unlikely given it's brand new, but you never know. Maybe the Apple fans just aren't that good, so have to work harder.

I know on my old laptop, the fan started making awful noises ever since I dropped it going through Gatwick security. I think something got trapped in the fan, but since I ended up getting a new one, I never bothered fixing it.

Is the fan accessible? I know that Apple like to hide pretty much everything, and sometimes solder things on so you can't fix them yourself, but if you can get to it I would have a look and see if something's blocking it. It's unlikely given it's brand new, but you never know. Maybe the Apple fans just aren't that good, so have to work harder.

I know on my old laptop, the fan started making awful noises ever since I dropped it going through Gatwick security. I think something got trapped in the fan, but since I ended up getting a new one, I never bothered fixing it. It's now my fiancee's laptop, so she can deal with the ear-splitting roar it gives out :D

Archived