FM17: Manchester United - The Special One Arrives

mikenevo

Yeah I have to agree on Icardi, signed him in my 4th season in charge and has scored 40 goals in 32 games so far for me.

I have forgot to update people but basically won the title 2 years in a row and won the Champions League last season, currently 2nd in the Hall Of Fame for best English nationality managers with a score of 1544, I have won 2 league titles, 1 domestic cup and 5 other club trophies.

Trying to play the young players like Lingard when I can, Rashford is a world class player for me now, still got the core of the team I started with in season 1, Shaw, Pogba,Rashford and Baily all being key players.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who plays a possession style tried Franck Kessie as a box to box mid? 

Very specific but I was wondering whether it was worth having a look. I've currently got Fellaini playing really well but I want to have a player lined up as Schneiderlin has been very unimpressive. 

Could I at least get a screenshot from someone's save if no one has used him?

how does he compare to Blind? I sit Blind in front of the defence when I use the tactic to do so, and I usually get some meaty offers for Blind.

still using Downloaded tactics currently, trying to take the bits I want, ended up building around it instead, Vokins is superb already, just as good as Shaw performance wise, is only playing because Shaw is injured, Evra gets the nod in away games where a bit more defending is needed, as would the centre midfield partnership you see there (2 strong players, both can play DM as well) and Herrera in more attacking games like this, only rested him due to rotation.

although I do have an issue as Toure wants to take free kicks, and Penalties, which would be fine, if I didn't have Payet (bought fairly cheap, set pieces are really a bonus with him though)

61E2B38392C27AEB4288D53929FE3B6975F29C39

I see how the match goes in regard to Icardi, I do sometimes set him to advanced forward if there isn't much going on attacking wise, that tactic suits Zlatan though.

squad.jpg

I have created a monster.

I'm in early January 2nd season and we're 15 points clear, frequently scoring 5-6 goals a game, sometimes as much as 8. And they are coming from everywhere! I'm using a very average tactic with no bells or whistles but the attacking play is fluid and beautiful. I'm particulary impressed with Mata. I wasn't expecting much, but he has 13 goals in 17 starts in the league. Depay has also turned out to be very useful when playing on the right. Mkhitaryan and Dybala both did their achilles tendon hence the low amount of appearances for them. Still haven't found the best way to utilize Dybala. But I think Trequartista will be his role. In that role he doesn't score as much, but he seems to make everyone around him play a lot better.

£175m transfer budget, but don't really see the need to spend any of it. I could do with a right back, but it's not essential and the only really interesting option is Bellerin. Long term I might look to get Bernardo Silva or Neymar to replace Mata. 

1 hour ago, eple said:

squad.jpg

I have created a monster.

I'm in early January 2nd season and we're 15 points clear, frequently scoring 5-6 goals a game, sometimes as much as 8. And they are coming from everywhere! I'm using a very average tactic with no bells or whistles but the attacking play is fluid and beautiful. I'm particulary impressed with Mata. I wasn't expecting much, but he has 13 goals in 17 starts in the league. Depay has also turned out to be very useful when playing on the right. Mkhitaryan and Dybala both did their achilles tendon hence the low amount of appearances for them. Still haven't found the best way to utilize Dybala. But I think Trequartista will be his role. In that role he doesn't score as much, but he seems to make everyone around him play a lot better.

£175m transfer budget, but don't really see the need to spend any of it. I could do with a right back, but it's not essential and the only really interesting option is Bellerin. Long term I might look to get Bernardo Silva or Neymar to replace Mata. 

How manage to sign everyone? Hazard, Ali, Dier, Varane and Dybala?

8 minutes ago, B Sharples said:

How manage to sign everyone? Hazard, Ali, Dier, Varane and Dybala?

First half of the season I set Hazard as top target, scouted him continuously, attended some games myself, put in a bid every week or so and rejected Chelsea's counter-offers. They were mid-table and he became unsettled quickly. Price was high at first but by January they accepted £65m.

The same with Alli and Dybala. I got them for £55m and £74m. Wasn't able to really unsettled Dybala.

Dier I just declared interest in and put in some bids and he became unsettled. Signed him for £41.5m.

Varane for some reason was available at the end of the season. Payed £47m.

Some of them were bought with installments, but I've also sold players for nearly £250m hence the big budget.

2 hours ago, i Love United said:

Has anyone seen Mourinho get a new job and then the likes of Rui Faria go with him as he's a favoured person? 

Just wondering if I should prepare myself for anything staff wise... 

Rui Faria is on an eye-watering 15k a week contract, I kept him for one season before finding a new assistant.

i couldn't get Hazard even when Chelsea finished 7th, he still cost city £111m (my matched bid got refused...)

had the same issues with my main target as well Greizmann, matched bids, and got refused.

Arsenal went and won the Champions League as well so Sanchez was a no go.

£43m for Varane? I bought Sule for £30m and St Juste for 16.5m

I also went for Isco and the board would not let me give him decent wages, due to FFP, meanwhile city were throwing money around, and Arsenal had players on £300k/pw (something I wasn't allowed to offer)

Happy with Payet though, £23.5m is just peanuts for his free kick taking alone.

Just entered what will likely be my last season of this save. Season 3 was another success. Started in unreal form and was regularly battering teams by four and five goals. Dybala, Rashford, Martial and Berahino (who ended the season with an avg of a goal every 65 mins!!!) just tearing it up. In the league, I lost one game in the whole season - the second last one against Stoke after being 3-1 up. Sickened was not the word.

Second CHampions League final, this time against Bayern but this one ended in a one nil loss. Had so many injuries (Rashford, Martial, Radja, Mkhi etc.) and Dybala and Berahino had dropped in form. Just couldn't get a goal and Bayern one a real close contest.

Despite walking the league, form really did drop in second half (mainly due to injuries) and we lost the league cup final (1-0) and knocked out of the FA Cup in the 6th round (1-0). Usually I would quit when the league had been that much of a doddle but gonna give one more to try and win the cups again.

For summer activity, signed absolutely no-one. Sold Depay to Spurs for £40m. Budget now sits at about 275m but everyone I sell is replaced by a youth player. Was offered 40m by West Ham (after clauses) for Jordan Williams (who I had bought for 2m) but declined - instead he's gone on loan to Stoke. Home Grown players at the club now include:

Joel Pereira, CBJ, RSW, Tuanzebe (Loan), Jordan Williams (Loan), TFM, Pogba, Chong, Gomes (Loan), Gribbin, Florentino Luis, Januzaj, Kuki (Loan) and Rashford

Rest of the squad is:

De Gea, Shaw, Smalling, Bailly, De Vrij, van Dijk, Fabinho, Jonny Otto, Radja, Mata, Herrera, Mkhi, Martial, Berahino, Dybala

Really should have the loan players brought up now, but I'm too soft and can't bring myself to sell Smalling, Jonny Otto, Januzaj and probably Berahino to make space!

24 minutes ago, nextqprmanager said:

anyone use James Wilson or Callum Gribbins / any good / positions ?

Just loaned them for a season

thx

I've been using Gribbin as a backup DLP in centre midfield. Played about 18-25 games last season and averaged about 7.3 I think. Gets some assists, and is a solid option but I don't  think he has what it takes to be a 1st eleven player in my save. 

Wilson hasn't done anything of note. A loan in the championship followed by a loan in league one, eventually off loaded for 2.5m which was well below value but no one wanted him

Still haven't come to terms with the crazy prices in this years game. Managed to get £65m upfront from PSG for 30 year old Mata after they put in an enquiry. He was sensational last season but had 2 injuries in the latter half of the season and was out 3 months and lost a full point in most physical attributes. Signed Bernardo Silva already so I'm not at all upset.

18 hours ago, scott MUFC said:

i couldn't get Hazard even when Chelsea finished 7th, he still cost city £111m (my matched bid got refused...)

had the same issues with my main target as well Greizmann, matched bids, and got refused.

Arsenal went and won the Champions League as well so Sanchez was a no go.

£43m for Varane? I bought Sule for £30m and St Juste for 16.5m

I also went for Isco and the board would not let me give him decent wages, due to FFP, meanwhile city were throwing money around, and Arsenal had players on £300k/pw (something I wasn't allowed to offer)

Happy with Payet though, £23.5m is just peanuts for his free kick taking alone.

Did you make an effort to unsettle him or just put in a bid? You need to do a bit of work, but there are some other factors that comes into it when you approach a player and whether or not he becomes unsettled.  

1. How your team is doing in the league and if it's in a European competition - compared to the players own team.

2. Your max wage for a player in the role he sees himself as (key/first team/etc)

3. Division reputation (obviously not relevant re: Hazard)

4. Manager reputation. Easy to forget but it actually matters a lot.

I've tried signing Bellerin, but I think because Arsenal is always doing well in the league/europe on my save, he hasn't kicked up a fuss. Maybe he's loyal as well.

If addition there is a short window that lasts about a month from the season ends until a few weeks into pre-season where prices are reasonable. That's when Varane and Dybala was "cheap". Both clubs wanted well over £100m during the season. After the season is finished I frequently scout the players I'm keen on just to catch that moment when the prizes are decent.

Right guys, my laptop is not the quickest but I have completed my first season and we did it…… Premiership champions and Europa League winners.

I treated myself to the game over Christmas via Steam so it’s automatically version 17.2.

My first save is always Man Utd and as in previous versions the first thing I did was bring some new staff in, shift some out etc.

Due to laptop speed, I only load the division I am playing in as active.

The second thing is the tactic. I’m very much a plug and play person so I opted for Franky’s Total Domination Tactic v1.2 which is for 17.2 and it’s a perfect tactic I think for Utd.

Quite simply it was De Gea in goal, Darmian and Shaw at wing back with Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Bailly sharing centre half duties.

Generally Schneiderlein as defensive midfielder, with Herrera deep lying playmaker and Pogba as advanced playmaker.

Mainly Martial (left), Micky (right) as inside forward with Zlatan as complete forward.

Carrick and Blind also got playing time in midfield, Schweiny too though not as much.

Lingard, Depay and Mata as back up on the wings and Rashford as back up for Zlatan.

I was surprised by the lack of transfer activity. Not a single offer for a player in the summer transfer window with Man City buying Ignachio Camacho for £15m on deadline day to only transfer in the game over £10m.

I didn’t buy anyone. My team quickly gelled and I was soon top of the table where I managed to stay.

I won the title with 91 points and Arsenal were second on 79 points. Man City third also on 79 points and Spurs fourth with 73 points.

Liverpool were twelfth an Klopp was gone by Christmas with Marcelo Bielsa taking over. Chelsea finished sixth but were in a terrible state until Conte was binned off and Louis van Gaal took over guiding them a more respectful finishing place.

I won the Europa League but generally had an easy time. A group of Vigo, Legia and Konyaspor then knock out matches against Young Boys, Bilbao, St Etienne though the semi-final against Inter was tough.

Delighted to beat West Ham 2-0 in the final.

In January, I managed to sell Rooney to Chelsea who were really struggling and had Costa injured whilst and Fellaini went to PSG of all clubs, massively surprised by that bid.

I offered both players to various clubs as they were unhappy and on my transfer list. It meant I had to accept reduced prices but glad to get them off my wage bill (Fellaini sold for £12m in instalments, Rooney sold for £10m in full).

On deadline day I secured Aymeric Laporte from Bilbao for his full £56m release clause and Adrien Silva from Sporting for his full £39m release clause.

My budget was upped prior to Christmas so I had £90m to play with after selling the two players. Funnily enough, Conte was sacked soon after they bought Rooney and he’s barely played at Chelsea.

Now is June 2017 Carrick is off to Everton for £2.1m and Valencia off to Huaxia Zingfu for £3.3m. Carrick signed a new deal and one of the promises was that I strengthen the squad.

I bought in Laporte and Silva and he said I had not kept to my promise of strengthening so wanted to leave. I assume that is some kind of bug.

Valencia wanted a new challenge so went with my best wishes. Just need to shift Ashley Young now.

I have £67m to spend this summer and not sure what to do. I feel my squad is pretty good.

I blooded Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Ro-Shaun Williams and Angel Gomes in the first team towards the end of the season once the title was virtually secured. All did ok.

On the 2016-17 season performance what can I say about Zlatan? 47 appearances (3 as sub) with 39 goals and 15 assists. Average rating of 7.52

Luke Shaw was immense with a 7.56 average rating whilst Schneiderlein massively impressed me too. Read about people saying he’s not good but he made that defensive midfielder position his own and scored a few goals too.

Like I say, not sure what to do now with my transfer budget. Bids are being thrown around for Griezmann, Dybala and Icardi but not I need any of those. Don’t want to miss out in case Zlatan retires end of this season which I have read happening elsewhere.

Rashford is looking good though and scored 14 goals himself (11 starts plus 24 as sub).

I guess I could do with back-up at wing-back so might look there.

Very much excited for the second season now though.

Duds

Glad to see I'm not the only one seeing these sackings.  If Liverpool finish outside of top 4, it's bye bye Klopp.  And Conte usually follows because his 343 just doesn't work well in the game in the EPL.  As for Schneiderlin, his mentality doesn't cut it for me, hides in the big games and becomes complacent when we are ahead in matches.  Same with Depay and Blind, even though I want to give them a chance, they just aren't reliable enough.  On my current save I use Basti as first choice and he was rock solid until he suffered a hip injury.

17 hours ago, Sky said:

As for Schneiderlin, his mentality doesn't cut it for me, hides in the big games and becomes complacent when we are ahead in matches.  Same with Depay and Blind, even though I want to give them a chance, they just aren't reliable enough.  On my current save I use Basti as first choice and he was rock solid until he suffered a hip injury.

I was sceptical of Depay too (run and shoot wide, that's what he does right?).. but I re-trained him as a right winger, had him tutored by Mhkitaryan to become professional and later had him unlearn his shoot from distance-ppm. 2nd season he played 28(10) games, scoring 11 and assisting 20. 7.60 AVR. That's a pretty great return! 3rd season he is world class and I got a £69m bid from Real Madrid that I rejected.

I'm in season two looking like I'm going to win the league but I'm 250k/week over the wage budget because I have agreed to sign players in the summer in advance. I still have Bastian on the books who I'll either release or get on a cheaper deal in the summer. Just wanted to know how this is likely to affect the transfer and wage budgets for next season?

I got £120m for season 2 so I'm hoping for more for season 3 especially if I win the league but will that and releasing Bastian in a few months remove any major negative effect from running over wage budget for most the season?

Thanks 

2 hours ago, duds said:

If you are over wage budget they could cut transfer budget to accommodate or reduce the percentage you get from transfer sales.

Thanks. Seeing as the club is 'rich', they've already cut my transfer % to 75 before putting it up to 90% and I still have £25m left for transfers (although I can't allocate that to wages for some reason), should any third season transfer and wage budget impact be reduced? 

So I've just started my first full FM save with United after the last update; I played a season in FMT to make sure the tactic was working and it looks good so here we go!

And thanks to the fixture computer, I start with a home game against Chelsea and an away game at Arsenal. We'll see how that goes.

Have to say that, having played multiple seasons in FMT, I've never had a problem with FPP rules, but there's little to go on there (never quite sure how FMT differs from full FM). I'll be interested to watch the game unfold and will report back.

Kane or Lukaku as a replacement for Zlatan in season 3? Both similar in match stats, Kane rated as key player by scouts, Lukaku only good, Kane slightly better all round attributes, Lukaku - bit more flair and strength. 

Lukaku is around £30m while Kane will likely take the most of my £90m budget. 

Any recommendations? Lukaku was very good in FM16 while Kane was poor but the scouting reports tell me it could be different in FM17. Looking for 30-40 goals a season. 

Thanks

Almost up to Christmas in this current save and it's gone - sort of - the way I hoped. After starting with games against Chelsea and Arsenal (home and away, respectively) we won the first and lost the second. We also suffered an infuriating loss in the EFL Cup against lowly Burnley who nicked it with a long-ball and header in the 117th minute!

But we then went on an 11-match winning streak in the PL, and won every Europa League game. And just endured a 1-1 away at Liverpool.

a5K6SA2.png

All of which leaves us sitting top of the table, five points ahead of Arsenal. Top players so far have been Ibra and Depay (leading scorers on 8 each), Mata and Pogba in midfield scoring and assisting, and Smalling and Bailly in defence.

Lets see if we can avoid the mid-season slump!

How is everyone doing with Pogba? Considering his attributes i don't feel im getting the best out of him!

I generally play 4231, Pogba set as B2B (Shoot More, Risky Passes, Get Further Forward etc), he plays alongside Herrera (DLP) or Alli (AP or RPM or DLP).

I find Pogba plays better alongside Herrera, so i try as much as possible to play Alli at 10, but with Mata and Rashford i sometimes have to push Alli back.

Basically i'm struggling to find his best playing role. Is B2B the best? Should i change formation (mid 3?) or push him to #10?

Suggestions welcome!

I play a 4-3-3 with Blind playing DM as a defensive midfielder.

I have either Adrien Silva or Ander Herrera playing CM as a box-to midfielder (right side of midfield) and I have Pogba or Ander Herrera playing CM as advanced playmaker (left side of midfield).

It's Franky's Total Domination tactic.

Pogba is sensational for me with plenty of goals and assists and general a good rating. I find he tires a lot in matches though.

Duds

5 hours ago, duds said:

Pogba is sensational for me with plenty of goals and assists and general a good rating. I find he tires a lot in matches though.

+1. I'm playing a tweaked version of Franky's Phantoms and play Pogba like you - AP on the left of midfield, with Herrera in rotation. He's doing well (but not utterly fantastic) and also tires a lot. Currently rating 7.5 after 15(2) appearances; three goals, four assists, and three POM awards. Based on other saves I've done, I have a feeling that Pogba does better as a B2B with the 'gets forward more' PI. But in season 1 with United, there's really no other candidate for the AP rotation role.

And in my own save... our 5-point lead vanished like the much-feared London snow yesterday. Won the next two games against West Ham and Stoke, then lost away to Chelsea and drew away to Crystal Palace. Meanwhile, Arsenal just keep winning and winning. To make things worse, we were drawn against Man City away in the FA Cup, and lost (to Vincent Kompany's first - and I dare say, only - goal of the season). So mid-Jan we sit second to Arsenal on goal difference.

Adding injury to insult, Bailly and Rojo are now out injured, and while Smalling is playing well, Jones isn't, so I have no confidence in seeing out the next three or four games with just those two in central defence. I didn't want to sign anyone in the January window but it looks as though I'll have to. I fear we've hit the slump even earlier than I thought!

3 hours ago, nextqprmanager said:

I think its got to be DR & DC

Possibly, I could maybe sign a starting RB, and use Darmian (who's been really solid) as cover at both RB and LB. I've been eyeing Fabinho for his versatility (Natural RB, DM and CM). Not sure if there's any other players worth exploring?

I'm reasonably happy with DC, I have a Tuanzebe and Fosu Mensah out on loan, along with a couple of nice looking regens. I could possibly use Carvalho or Carrick in there as well. I think if I make any additions there, it'll be short term ones.

Played a couple of games and Arjen Robben's looking an absolute steal at £4.3mill! Softened the blow of losing Mata to PSG!

2 hours ago, Spiegel said:

Possibly, I could maybe sign a starting RB, and use Darmian (who's been really solid) as cover at both RB and LB. I've been eyeing Fabinho for his versatility (Natural RB, DM and CM). Not sure if there's any other players worth exploring?

I'm reasonably happy with DC, I have a Tuanzebe and Fosu Mensah out on loan, along with a couple of nice looking regens. I could possibly use Carvalho or Carrick in there as well. I think if I make any additions there, it'll be short term ones.

Played a couple of games and Arjen Robben's looking an absolute steal at £4.3mill! Softened the blow of losing Mata to PSG!

Danilo is a very solid RB. He costs no more than 5 mill at the start of the game.  De Vrij is a quality CB, but he will set you back a few quid.

4 hours ago, Spiegel said:

Sorry, but the reality is you have one RB (Darmian), three CBs, and one LB (Shaw), with a few players who can cover without being great in any of those positions, plus Carrick and Carvalho who are very definitely ageing and very short-term. Obviously it depends on your formation and tactics but with any kind of four-at-the-back setup I think an injury or two will leave you in big trouble at the back. Also, I'd think if you get another good season out of Carrick, Robben - and Ibra - you'll be lucky.

Assuming you have CL involvement next season, I'd say you're at least four or five players short of a decent squad. Playing two games a week for most of the season, I like to carry a squad of 25 first-team players (note: not all stars, or internationals, and certainly not world-class players) with a handful of under-21s or under-18s who might step up for an EFL Cup game or an early FA Cup round. But given three or four or five injuries to the squad in your screen shot, and I'd have to think you're looking at struggling for six-to-10 games, possibly at a crucial part of the season.

There are loads of good, solid defensive players across the back available for not-massive amounts of money. That's where I'd be spending, and although it looks as though you have plenty of options in the front four or six, I'd take a hard look there and ask yourself if two or three injuries aren't going to leave you with very weak players in key positions.

Benjamin Henrichs from Leverkusen.

Can play left back and right back. I have him, Darmian and Shaw in my second season to cover the full back positions with Fosu-Mensah and Borthwick-Jackson both playing the occasional game.

36 minutes ago, scott MUFC said:

he is 3rd Choice for me.. cant get in Ahead of Martial, or Payet.

Just finished the first season: won the PL and stormed to the Europa League title (hammering Inter, Bayern and Roma en route). Memphis finished the season with 22 goals in all competitions but was pipped as top scorer by Ibra who finished with 25. Martial had a poor, injury-plagued season and scored only 8 in 17 starts. Then in the close season he announced he wanted to move to PSG, who promptly came in with a £60m offer - so off he went.

Who to replace him with, is the question. With Rooney gone and Carrick retired, I'm struggling a bit to meet the home-grown rules (had already signed Rugani in the January window, and Andre Silva in June as the long-term replacement for Ibra). I also need a good backup for De Gea but decent home-grown keepers who are prepared to accept a backup or rotation role are scarce. I have more than £100m to spend - just can't think who to spend it on!

On 12/23/2016 at 08:35, KingNikeo said:

I have Griezmann  as well and he can be hit or miss at times. I would recommend playing him upfront as an advanced forward. He performed very well as a lone striker for me but has been incredible since i started playing him with a strike partner. 16 goals and 12 assists in 19 premier league games so far this seasons. 

What formation and tactics and roles did you use to get Griezmann to do that well? Also whats a good striker to partner him??

1 hour ago, craiigman said:

Has anyone ignored Zlatan and just used Martial as a lone striker? How has he done?

I've had a number of saves with United and almost always tried Martial as a striker (usually on his own). Results are horribly inconsistent. In a few saves he struggled for the first month or two and then hit his stride, scoring regularly. In my most recent saves with United, he has never developed as a striker, even over the course of a full season - in some games he'll bag a hat-trick, then go weeks without scoring again. But, for me, he hasn't been any better when I've tried him at IF-left and doing that leaves you a bit short-handed in the striker department.

I wonder if he got a downgrade in the most recent update; his in-game performances certainly mirror the real world now - excellent attributes but just never performs on the pitch.

Which formation has been most successful for you?

I tried the 3-5-1-1 Cruyff and it works great but the fullback areas are extremely vulnerable, I assume the wide midfields have to be set for support or defence to cover these. I have been up 3-0 and lost 5-3 at 90 minutes. So, even though the 3-5-1-1 gives you an amazing midfield it still makes your defensive line vulnerable when opposition has wingers or an attacking wide midfield.

Archived