The 7th Annual FMCU Awards - Awards Night

deltablue

Thanks for the nominations guys I wasn't expecting anything but these few drinks I've had to go with the nominations will spur me on to try harder next year :D congratulations everyone with their awards in what has been the greatest FM year I can remember! :D I'd share my awards beverage but the file is bigger than 2 mb :(

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first thought of the award I wondered if Dafuge would make it his own, that's why it was really interesting when Smp20 looked like pulling off a giant-killing early on. Then they were level but Abulezz came up from behind and moved ahead with Smp20 together to claim what was arguably a genuine shock result. not just over Dafuge but Forameuss as well.

1 minute ago, abulezz said:

Seconded! Congrats smp20, and thank you everyone, seriously!

On a slightly more serious note, I have a wife and kids whom I love and adore very much that I have not seen in five months because of some rampant disorganization and theft by those very close to me in my businesses, so while my daughter and wife were receiving medical treatment (my wife's surgery lasted 10 hours, and she had complications after the surgery that were described to me by the doctors as near fatal), I couldn't budge because my livelihood - and what was paying for all that medical treatment - needed cleaning up.  It has been a looooooong year, one where I felt very alone for most of it, but thanks to this FMCU community and the Kafra thread, I always found some positivity in the bleakest of times.  Thank you all for the support, nomination, and awards, and most of all, thank you for the kind words in my thread and for the replies. It means the world to me.

Congrats @abulezz - FM (and it's community) can be a great light in dark times - sorry to hear you've had a rough time!! I'm going to have to go back and read through your thread :)

6 minutes ago, smp20 said:

Thanks oriole :D 

No problem man, you deserve (half of) it.

Hopefully I'll make an appearance on the ballot next year with my FM17 NK Maribor save. " 'They're the best thing in purple since Barney the Dinosaur' - an FM17 Maribor Story" , "Dusting Off the Purple Yugoslavian Boots", and "The Scot Hunter: Reloaded" are some thread title ideas.

Can't make the afterparty I'm afraid, it's seriously time to go.

7 minutes ago, abulezz said:

Seconded! Congrats smp20, and thank you everyone, seriously!

On a slightly more serious note, I have a wife and kids whom I love and adore very much that I have not seen in five months because of some rampant disorganization and theft by those very close to me in my businesses, so while my daughter and wife were receiving medical treatment (my wife's surgery lasted 10 hours, and she had complications after the surgery that were described to me by the doctors as near fatal), I couldn't budge because my livelihood - and what was paying for all that medical treatment - needed cleaning up.  It has been a looooooong year, one where I felt very alone for most of it, but thanks to this FMCU community and the Kafra thread, I always found some positivity in the bleakest of times.  Thank you all for the support, nomination, and awards, and most of all, thank you for the kind words in my thread and for the replies. It means the world to me.

And everyone know that is what communities and this game is all about. Really hope everything gets sorted for you and really glad we as community have helped. Viva these awards. Where's the ****ing bar?

So the winners in full:

Best Player: Steve Murray
Best Retro Career: Scandinavian Shankly: The Swedish Chapter
Best Thread Name: RKC from outta nowhere!! Waakwijk what a move!!!
Best Poster: Jimbokav1971
Best Fountain of Youth: Kafra FC - All youth in England
Best Journeyman Career: Dafuge on tour again
Best Newcomer: Jupjamie
Best Team: Dafuge's Barcelona
Best Career Thead: If I had a Nicol for every goal, I'd have just over six dollars
Best Manager: Abulezz/Smp20

Shocked tbh, never thought I would win any awards! Buzzing now, and keen to crack on with my Hammarby save. Been playing this evening so updates imminent :)

Congrats all those nominees and award winners :D

I hope you've all enjoyed yourself tonight. I want to thank everyone who had threads this year for making such an open and competitive awards night possible, not just in terms of the number of nominees for each thread but also the winners, with only Dafuge taking multiple awards outright and the first ever joint winners I can remember. I hope next year proves to be just as enjoyable. Until then it's goodnight from me...

Just now, deltablue said:

I hope you've all enjoyed yourself tonight. I want to thank everyone who had threads this year for making such an open and competitive awards night possible, not just in terms of the number of nominees for each thread but also the winners, with only Dafuge taking multiple awards outright and the first ever joint winners I can remember. I hope next year proves to be just as enjoyable. Until then it's goodnight from me...

Thank you very much for hosting the evening @deltablue:thup:

Woops, I had completely missed the Fiorentino thread up until now. Tbh there were just so many San Marino threads this year, that I just chose one to follow and forgot the others. But shows how difficult it is to vote fair, I spent a while thinking about the votes and thought that I'd looked over all the better threads...

Congrats to all the winners!

7 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Wait, hold on, I got a vote for best manager? What nutter thought that someone who took 200 years to work out playing defensively against better teams was a good idea deserved that award? :lol: 

That was me. :D

5 hours ago, noikeee said:

Woops, I had completely missed the Fiorentino thread up until now. Tbh there were just so many San Marino threads this year, that I just chose one to follow and forgot the others. But shows how difficult it is to vote fair, I spent a while thinking about the votes and thought that I'd looked over all the better threads...

Congrats to all the winners!

This is exactly how I feel. 

I've missed so many good threads that I don't think I was in a reasonable position to vote in hindsight. I just voted on what I had read. 

I now have a reading list that looks something like this. 

Best FMCU Player.

I'm not at all into retro careers and this one is from [FM12], but the performances of Steve Murray suggest that this thread deserves at least a little look. As it only lasts 4 pages, it's an absolute no-brainer. I have never had a player score anywhere near that number of goals, (even a certain Mr Kyle Wilson), so maybe I will learn something from @Dexter_Morgan

Best Retro career holds absolutely no interest for me, but congratulations anyway to @withnail316. I must admit that I wasn't even able to vote in this category because I just hadn't read a single one. Maybe this will be my first. 

Best thread name is actually a category that I really like. Unfortunately, I think a lot of the better names passed me by this year and I certainly wasn't aware of que-sera-sera-whatever-rhyl-be-rhyl-be, which would have got my vote had I seen it, but congrats anyway to @Deisler26 on a well-deserved award. 

Fountain of Youth was a really tightly contested category this season, and although I was completely on my own last year, I think I did well to make the shortlist this year, such was the standard of threads. I actually stayed clear of the deserved winning thread most of the time simply because I had more interest in San Marino, Luxembourg and Andorra, but I will be making a point of reading the @abulezz thread from start to finish.

It can be of no surprise that @dafuge won the Best Journeyman Career, and I think the only way he wouldn't win it is if he didn't do a Journeyman save. As soon as he opted for that type of save, it was game-over as a competition.  I haven't seen much of his thread if I'm honest, but I know exactly how it goes anyway. Win, win win, win really quickly, move, win even quicker, win some more move etc etc etc. I have never seen anyone play so quickly and post so well and consistently again and again for such long periods. (Yes someone has already pointed out that he is in fact funded by us as a teacher, but I think we will over-look that fact until at least next year when he wins again). :lol:

Best FMCU Newcomer was deservedly won by @Jupjamie and to my mind at least, I think this was as a result of his contribution in other threads as much as the content of his own, (which was excellent). There is a tone in this forum, (set by the likes of @dafuge& @deltablueamong others), and it's really positive, friendly and encouraging compared to other parts of the site and @Jupjamiefits right in, (as do the other nominees is should be said).

Best FMCU Team I think is a new awards and it's interesting that although @dafugewon, both he and @smp20each had 2 entries in this category. I think we are missing a trick here and need to find a way of pitting these teams off against eachother, (possibly even managed by the AI to even tings out, so my suggestion is that when you see someone achieve something at the highest level, give them a nudge and ask them to create a save at that point, (I don't know how export team for competition works), and ideally I would like to see a mini league created where each of the nominees plays against eachother twice to come up with an overall winner. I don't know if this is possible in game, but even if not we could just do it via a series of individual games, but I think the key is that they need to be managed by the AI during the competition.

Thoughts?

Best FMCU Thread is indeed "the big one", and it's no surprise that @forameusswon it with his behemoth 47 page thread that is still going strong. (oh no it's not actually, he's finished the save and the thread just keeps going and going because people keep reading and posting because of it's brilliance. I would love t catch up with this thread but I only have about 1 month to go before FM17 so it might be a push to get it done in time. :lol:

Best FMCU Manager was of course a ridiculous injustice because I was robbed....... no really I was..... ok, no, maybe I wasn't robbed at all, but congratulations to @abulezz& @smp20for a share of the spoils and significantly for finishing ahead of dafuge in this one, (no mean feat).

Lastly, thanks to @deltablueand all the attendees for making last night so enjoyable that I was forced to give up and go to sleep mid ceremony, :lol: (in my defence I do get up at 4am every day), and it's little things like this, that actually take a fair bit of time out of our already busy lifes, that make this forum the place it is today. Thank you again to all concerned and good luck with FM17. :applause:

36 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

It can be of no surprise that @dafuge won the Best Journeyman Career, and I think the only way he wouldn't win it is if he didn't do a Journeyman save. As soon as he opted for that type of save, it was game-over as a competition.  I haven't seen much of his thread if I'm honest, but I know exactly how it goes anyway. Win, win win, win really quickly, move, win even quicker, win some more move etc etc etc. I have never seen anyone play so quickly and post so well and consistently again and again for such long periods. (Yes someone has already pointed out that he is in fact funded by us as a teacher, but I think we will over-look that fact until at least next year when he wins again). :lol:

You'd be surprised, I had some struggles early on in my career and even got the sack at Hartlepool!

32 minutes ago, dafuge said:

You'd be surprised, I had some struggles early on in my career and even got the sack at Hartlepool!

That's part of what made it a great read though. If 'best career' meant wining the most stuff, wouldn't we all just start at Real Madrid and watch the league titles and Champions Leagues pile up? I felt in my own career that my early struggles were a valuble lesson and an important part of my story. Every professional manager gets the sack at some point, so FM should be no different :)

2 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

This is exactly how I feel. 

I've missed so many good threads that I don't think I was in a reasonable position to vote in hindsight. I just voted on what I had read. 

I now have a reading list that looks something like this. 

Best Retro career holds absolutely no interest for me, but congratulations anyway to @withnail316. I must admit that I wasn't even able to vote in this category because I just hadn't read a single one. Maybe this will be my first. 

That's fair enough, Jimbo. We all like different types of career I suppose (I'm not a huge fan of youth-only careers, personally.) 

One of these days I'll climb out of the retro category, but my laptop would have a fit if I moved on at the moment. I did buy 15 - I used to buy the new version every other year - but the game dragged so much it was unplayable. I suspect there are a few of us who are playing older versions for similar reasons. Still. laptops can't hang on forever, so maybe this will be the year I upgrade and move on. Then again, maybe it will just mean my FM13 world gets bigger and faster, who knows? 

Anyway, enjoy your reading, fella. 

Cheers. 

2 hours ago, Northernpilgrim said:

That's part of what made it a great read though. If 'best career' meant wining the most stuff, wouldn't we all just start at Real Madrid and watch the league titles and Champions Leagues pile up? I felt in my own career that my early struggles were a valuble lesson and an important part of my story. Every professional manager gets the sack at some point, so FM should be no different :)

Absolutely, I really enjoyed the struggles at the start of my career (including the sacking!). I just wish the game was able to provide that level of challenge throughout, rather than getting easier as you go because the AI is poor at building squads.

It's been a long while since i've been on here or even played FM (real life takes over sometimes :D) so it was a nice surprise to log on and see that Murray was voted best player :) I still have the save and have a few days off work so might carry on with career :)  Thanks for the votes and well done to all the other winners :) 

Congratulations to the winners -- I'm finally catching up on this.  Work is killing me lately, but I hope to honor the nominations I received by making some progress with Arsenal!  Seriously, folks -- much appreciated.

Strongly debating FM17, or continuing on with 16 ... at least, for now.

Well....it's a shame I missed this

I was a bit shocked when I saw that I had been nominated so I'd like to thank all those that nominated me. It really means a lot to me and if I have provided an enjoyable read then more than any award that's enough for me.

I'd also like to congratulate all the winners and express my appreciation for the quality of threads this year. There has been some brilliant stories and some exceptional dedication shown. It has been a great year, also a :applause: to @deltablue for putting on the show.

Archived