Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

what needs to be addressed is the people running the show at the top, (players have good games and bad games the danger in modern times is anyone who has a very good game is immediately given the title World Class/Wonderkid so if you buy into this its tantrum time when the said player doesn't reach that level all the time)

get woodward doing what he does better than anyone else, the man is fantastic at getting money in to the club:thup: and should be left to do that and given the praise he deserves

we need a director of football in(and not someone internally being shoe horned into the post;))someone with a proven track record to deal with transfers etc

and of course a new manager.....and that too has to be someone with again a proven track record

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when your manager (and last time I checked we are still Manchester United ;)) says this yesterday

"We can win the FA Cup," he said. "And we are still in the race. How many teams can say that? Not many. Our aim was to qualify. Of course you can say Manchester United need to be champions, yes I know the expectations are like that but I don't think that is realistic."

and forgets he was hitting the table with both his fists last year at the end of the season saying we were so close now to challenging for the title

forget the tripe he has served up and playing players out of position etc he is now a lame duck as he has 1 year left and is telling the fans of Manchester United lower your expectations, if he stays the board endorses this

The original post could easily refer to United fans in general rather than only those who contribute to this thread. Indeed since I've not Bliss in here all that much I'd say it's more likely (certainly the way I interpreted it).

Alternatively if you're going to be pernickety enough to insist that it refers solely to opinions voiced in this thread, then the absence of criticism for the West Ham game would surely lead one to conclude that the observation related to criticism of Rooney in general, which has been pervasive and which you yourself have quite rightly recognised to be excessive on occasion.

And non-existent after the West Ham match. Rendering the whole thing pointless.

Can someone please explain why Woodward is keen on LVG seeing out his contract??

Poor transfer decisions, poor tactics, poor in-game strategy (see subs), poor man management and total delusion.

And I don't want anyone talking about youngsters. He had no choice because aside from Rashford, the were all dropped again when the senior players came back. And to be frank, most were not yet at the required level anyway.

So either Woodward is to proud. Or he doesn't like Mourinho. The latter of which could be mutually exclusive of sacking LVG. There are other managers if he hates Mou that much.

Can someone please explain why Woodward is keen on LVG seeing out his contract??

Poor transfer decisions, poor tactics, poor in-game strategy (see subs), poor man management and total delusion.

And I don't want anyone talking about youngsters. He had no choice because aside from Rashford, the were all dropped again when the senior players came back. And to be frank, most were not yet at the required level anyway.

So either Woodward is to proud. Or he doesn't like Mourinho. The latter of which could be mutually exclusive of sacking LVG. There are other managers if he hates Mou that much.

the only explanation is that he would have to admit appointing the wrong manager twice, and the decision has been made that giggs will be the next man no matter what:seagull:

there have been some stating that it is due to the fact the club would have to pay compo(we took a bigger hit in the DI maria deal/sale than what itwould take to cover the compo)

secondly the club wants to be seen as being loyal.....now that is a cracker for football in 2016:D there is no loyalty it is a business for everyone involved!!!

If we stick with the incumbent it tells a few things, either the board is ok with the way things are going....so that would be alarming

or they don't believe there is any other better options

or we have approached all the obvious candidates and they have said no thanks ...very alarming

either way you look at it what a bloody mess, as we stand the remit must be 4th as a minimum and amazingly he could still get that which says a lot about the Prem

for me 4th or not he goes, the question is do we let him have his day at Wembley I would like to think so, come what may he deserves that and it would be something he could use to leave with head held high(but I doubt he wouldn't do that anyway even if palace humiliated us ;))

I find myself in situation I have never been as a United fan of over 40 years, being ambivalent to getting the 4th spot....if finishing 5th or lower means he goes I would rather that than 4th and he stays. Do we honestly think if we get to the UCL with LVG in charge we will do anything other than fall at the first hurdle??

In the ideal world for me its 4th and an announcement immediately he is going after the cup final....but I may be asking for too much there

Sometimes you have to look at tangible measures. If you tell a manager to get 4th as his target, you can't sack him when he can still get 4th plus a cup.

All the other stuff, use of players and playing style varies with who you ask and can't be used as a measure when the primary target is still achievable......those come in to play if the primary is missed.

If he gets 4th and that was what he was charged with, then he does not deserve sacking, the question should be why was he not given bigger targets.

Can you imagine the likes of Barcelona, Madrid or Munich coming 4th & winning the local cup. There would be demands on all sides for the manager to go. Have we fallen so far that reaching these goals is adequate.

Hence the final line in my comment.

the question should be why was he not given bigger targets.

Can you imagine the likes of Barcelona, Madrid or Munich coming 4th & winning the local cup. There would be demands on all sides for the manager to go. Have we fallen so far that reaching these goals is adequate.

a) Yes

b) The PL is very different to La Liga

c) The above is further demonstrated by this season being particularly weird

I don't like Van Gaal, but if his target was to keep champions league football and reach the semis/quarters of the FA Cup, and he manages it, then he deserves to stay.

If he misses CL, then as Icon said, he'll expect to pulled up on it, and factors like quality of performances, style of play, signings etc. will play a part.

a) Yes

b) The PL is very different to La Liga

c) The above is further demonstrated by this season being particularly weird

I don't like Van Gaal, but if his target was to keep champions league football and reach the semis/quarters of the FA Cup, and he manages it, then he deserves to stay.

If he misses CL, then as Icon said, he'll expect to pulled up on it, and factors like quality of performances, style of play, signings etc. will play a part.

Agreed and I'd like to add that we don't want to be seen as a hire and fire club, we stressed this with Moyes and I believe the same is true for LVG, we give our managers time, if that means we don't quite achieve our best for a season or two but develop something more long term like SAF did then I'm all for it. Champions league as a target for this season was reasonable with so many changes and the competition in the PL, because that competition has not come from Chelsea does not come into it. I still expect him to go if he doesn't achieve CL football. If he doesn't go in those circumstances then I think a lot of people will be more upset. If he gets fourth, then give him another season to develop the youngsters further as he's so good at it :p

If its Lingard @ #10 then its 6 of the XI playing out of Position. I dont understand the obsession.

Lingard is a no. 10 naturally, so not really out of position. If anything, he's out of position on the right wing considering he spent all of his time at U21s/U18s at LW/AM.

And if you're counting Martial as out of position then thats wrong too. He is much better coming in from the left. And Valencia is much better at right back than right wing now too. An argument could be made that Mata is much more effective from the right than in the centre too, as he enjoys the extra space made from coming in from out wide.

The only problem is the shoehorning of Rooney. His position is the bench.

So, City lose, we know we need to win and we **** it up. Pretty much how today is going to go?

Pretty much. Our lads will know the city score at half time, got to be an incentive if they lose.

I dont reacll ever being searched when i went, i kinda hope its more likely to occur now but in the several years BBB and I had our pair of ST's no searching whatsoever. I guess arriving soon before kick off helps there mind you ;)

Stan Collymore tweeted that it was a phone connected to a pipe with wires.

And someone i follow on Twitter who works at OT said they've spoken to a colleague and he said "its shocking what has happened" but wont elaborate what on Twitter.

Archived