Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Mou the only option?

I know many other coaches out there don't necessarily have the experience. We've left ourselves in a bit of situation where we either take Mou or gamble on someone like Poch or Thomas Tuchel from Dortmund etc.

Is Mou the only option?

I know many other coaches out there don't necessarily have the experience. We've left ourselves in a bit of situation where we either take Mou or gamble on someone like Poch or Thomas Tuchel from Dortmund etc.

Hope not. I'd take a house plant over him.

Is Mou the only option?

If we want to get to winning things then yes Mourinho is the only option

We're actually in a situation where we could well end up with our league top scorer having less than 10 goals. Currently Martial 8, Rooney 7.

Hard to fathom, because our team really isn't that crap. Think SAF could have won the title with the same lot. He wouldn't have given so many kids the chance though. Not judging by his last decade or so.

We're actually in a situation where we could well end up with our league top scorer having less than 10 goals. Currently Martial 8, Rooney 7.

Hard to fathom, because our team really isn't that crap. Think SAF could have won the title with the same lot. He wouldn't have given so many kids the chance though. Not judging by his last decade or so.

He would have had he faced the same injury problems we have under LVG/LVG has only done so due to injury problems.

Saying that, if Fergie were still in charge, the squad would be in much better shape anyway, as he would have planned a few more years ahead than he ultimately did.

Hard to fathom, because our team really isn't that crap.

It is when you consider the vast amounts of money that was spent on transfer fees and wages to put it together. Its not just LvG, the recruitment structures at Man Utd are a shambles. Leicester, Saints and West Ham have shown Ed Woodward up in terms of how to recruit players for pound for pound value in the top half of the Premier League.

It is when you consider the vast amounts of money that was spent on transfer fees and wages to put it together. Its not just LvG, the recruitment structures at Man Utd are a shambles. Leicester, Saints and West Ham have shown Ed Woodward up.

TIL we've not sold any players so we only count money spent :thup:

Well, not really today, the "OMGZ, 300 MILLION" brigade has been preaching it for months now

That was really atrocious. We had a CB playing at LB, a LB playing CB, a LW playing ST, a ST playing LW, a RW playing AM, a AM playing RW, of course we deserve to lose.

Also worrying how an 18 y.o. centre back playing right back was much better than an Italian international who plays right back for his country. Not to mention leaving Herrera on the bench. I mean this squad is loaded with good players, player-for-player we're certainly better than Leicester. Difference is we're so pre-occupied in keeping possession rather than scoring and that was the end result of it all. Can we let go of Van Gaal now? I'm at the point where I'm actually in the "Give it to Giggsy until the end of the season, can't be much worse" camp. And is Mourinho the only option available? If we don't get Champions League, I hope Van Gaal gets the same treatment as Moyes did and get sacked.

That was really atrocious. We had a CB playing at LB, a LB playing CB, a LW playing ST, a ST playing LW, a RW playing AM, a AM playing RW, of course we deserve to lose.

Also worrying how an 18 y.o. centre back playing right back was much better than an Italian international who plays right back for his country. Not to mention leaving Herrera on the bench. I mean this squad is loaded with good players, player-for-player we're certainly better than Leicester. Difference is we're so pre-occupied in keeping possession rather than scoring and that was the end result of it all. Can we let go of Van Gaal now? I'm at the point where I'm actually in the "Give it to Giggsy until the end of the season, can't be much worse" camp. And is Mourinho the only option available? If we don't get Champions League, I hope Van Gaal gets the same treatment as Moyes did and get sacked.

Blind's a CM, surely? :D not that we'd know, haven't seen him play there for a couple of years now

Blind's a CM, surely? :D not that we'd know, haven't seen him play there for a couple of years now

Well for me was brilliant at LB at the World Cup. He also played there at the tail end of last season when Shaw was injured. Didn't he play a few games at LB too this season when Jones was given a run of games before he injured himself again?

Well for me was brilliant at LB at the World Cup. He also played there at the tail end of last season when Shaw was injured. Didn't he play a few games at LB too this season when Jones was given a run of games before he injured himself again?

When he came in there was talk of him being rotation for Carrick. I don't know, all I know is he's not a CB by any stretch of the imagination

Yeah this Blind at CB experiment has got to stop. Way too many times this season he's been at fault in some way or another for us conceding. I do like him though, I think he'd be a very good defensive midfielder.

He would have had he faced the same injury problems we have under LVG/LVG has only done so due to injury problems.

Saying that, if Fergie were still in charge, the squad would be in much better shape anyway, as he would have planned a few more years ahead than he ultimately did.

I really don't think he would have. More likely he'd play senior players out of position before giving kids like Rashford, Fosu-Mensah and Borthwick-Jackson chances, at least so often. LVG deserves criticism for many things, but he genuinely deserves praise for giving youths chances. It's not just about injuries. Today for instance, he could easily have put Darmian, Young or Valencia on RB. Or Martial up front and Young on the left. But he didn't. He played with Fosu-Mensah and Rashford from the start.

LVG is a lucky manager, he got lucky with Martial (who he said he didn't sign for himself but the next United manager), he got lucky we have a few talented youngsters in the reserves which he had to use after his dinosaur football style and training injured out first team players. Hope he leaves before the trains all the skill out of the youngsters.

I really don't think he would have. More likely he'd play senior players out of position before giving kids like Rashford, Fosu-Mensah and Borthwick-Jackson chances, at least so often. LVG deserves criticism for many things, but he genuinely deserves praise for giving youths chances. It's not just about injuries. Today for instance, he could easily have put Darmian, Young or Valencia on RB. Or Martial up front and Young on the left. But he didn't. He played with Fosu-Mensah and Rashford from the start.

Van Gaal does deserve praise for giving youth a chance and credit where credit is due, but in all fairness he lucked himself into it. The only reason he has played so many youngsters is his training regime injured everyone that he didn't even have players to be put out of position anymore. And while Ferguson isn't always the type that gives youngster a go, he still does. While he did mess up with Pogba, he still gave Cleverley, Gibson, Simpson, and Welbeck games to name a few. Whats for certain is that he wouldn't put Young at ST when theres Martial on the pitch.

It might be true that the whole line-up will look different under SAF, at least we know we won't be too disappointed with the performances.

Van Gaal does deserve praise for giving youth a chance and credit where credit is due, but in all fairness he lucked himself into it. The only reason he has played so many youngsters is his training regime injured everyone that he didn't even have players to be put out of position anymore.

These two statements are entirely contradictory. Why should he be praised for doing something it was literally impossible not to do? If we'd not had constant injuries crises, we just wouldn't have seen the likes of Rashford or Fosu-Mensah this season.

^^ Which as I pointed out above, isn't the case, because he could easily have picked somebody else today. Instead, he went with youth.

It is like it was with Moyes at the end. Team is poor, so everything is LVG's fault, and even the good things he does are underplayed or ignored.

There are plenty of things to criticise him for, but he has genuinely given youths chances, and he deserves credit for that.

There is also the somewhat "hidden" factor that if he didn't trust the youths, he could have bought more players, for instance in January, and played them instead of our academy players. He didn't do that. He trusted in the youths, for better or worse.

Yeah, I mean it's not like we haven't had injury crises for the last 1000 years under pretty much every manager.

He went into the season with a small squad to give young players a chance, I don't agree with the decision but it's what he did and it was brave (and stupid).

If Louis van Gaal came into Old Trafford with the intention of reducing the pool of established players, especially in attacking areas, in order to give youth a chance, I'm prepared to give him his due there. I'm just not convinced he really thought things through that much. I'm not sure what his strategy ever is. As far as I could tell, he showed up, thought he could bring his formation and style from his successful Netherlands side to United, told us to give it a couple of months to allow it to work, realised it didn't work, ditched it and then winged it ever since. Injuries are still the main reason young players have found themselves in the first team squad, couple with poor form from a number of players which seems to have reduced his faith in them. If these chances came about because he made sure the squad was small in order to allow youngsters to get there chance, fair enough. A brave and flawed approach, though.

These two statements are entirely contradictory. Why should he be praised for doing something it was literally impossible not to do? If we'd not had constant injuries crises, we just wouldn't have seen the likes of Rashford or Fosu-Mensah this season.

It might be contradictory but thats what I have seen so far in his tenure. He started off this season with all the senior players that were punching below their weight every game, playing players our of their positions, then suddenly all of our defenders and forwards start to drop like fleas at the same time, senior players that Van Gaal could 'makeshift' into other positions also got injured, he had to take chances of the youngsters. Suddenly these youngsters that were given a chance turn out to play better than their senior counterparts and just kept on playing them.

The praise he deserves here is that he kept playing the youngsters that played well (Rashford, TFM, Lingard, Varela for a good period). But he needs to also be criticized for doing weird stuff like subbing Mata off for Powell in an important Champions League tie, or subbing Young on for Rashford and not switch places with Martial. A side of me wants to applaud him blooding in promising youngsters, but another side of me thinks he wasted good first team players already in the team like Chicha, Kagawa, Welbeck etc and let them go. For every 1 good thing he's done, he certainly has 3 or 4 things that infuriates fans.

Yeah, I mean it's not like we haven't had injury crises for the last 1000 years under pretty much every manager.

He went into the season with a small squad to give young players a chance, I don't agree with the decision but it's what he did and it was brave (and stupid).

Bingo. Some chances for youngsters? Great. This? Stupid. Careless, actually.

Well that was a shambles. Started so well but Martial was the only one with any ideas in and around the box and he was out on the wing.

Made even less sense then when Young came on the play upfront.

All while Mata is on the wing, and a winger is playing no. 10, and it still confuses me why we have a DM at CB who's not got the pace to make up for his pressing

Archived