Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

Yes, but was still a team that was the 2nd best team in Spain. Had also won the league in 2008 and 2007 iirc.

They were the second best team miles behind the best team, and the 'best team' in England will be very much up for grabs next season. I was speaking about the Champions League, they went 5 seasons without getting past the first knockout round.

Our situation might be worse than Madrid's was back then, but then Spurs are no where near the level United were either. Man Utd with Kane are suddenly a totally different proposition, Spurs with Kane are clearly better right now, but if Kane is thinking "which club gives me the best chance of trophies in the next 8 years" then it becomes a lot less clear.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They were the second best team miles behind the best team, and the 'best team' in England will be very much up for grabs next season. I was speaking about the Champions League, they went 5 seasons without getting past the first knockout round.

Our situation might be worse than Madrid's was back then, but then Spurs are no where near the level United were either.

From a CL perspective fair enough, despite the gap in the league in 2009, they still had finishes of 1st, 1st and 2nd from 07-09.

With Ronaldo you had to factor in the lifestyle factor, Madrid for him ahead of Man United meant it partially went beyond footballing matters. And to bring that into the Kane situation now, for players in England being in London can be a factor.

Lastly, no of course we are no where near the Man United team of 2009- which is one of the best I've ever seen. But then Kane isn't on Ronaldo's level either, the comparison of Real/United to present day Spurs/United is a whole notch down.

our chance was last year he will not come to us now

he will stay at spurs unless a madrid/barca come in for him

talking about strikers javier Hernandez's latest goal was a cracker in post match interview stated his form is down to manager having faith in him

think he has 15 in league he is looking sharp

Quite like the dismissal of developing our young strikers in favour of another big money signing considering Spurs broke their club record on a supposed guaranteed goalscorer to then bring Kane through once he'd flopped spectacularly.

Think it's really unlikely we get Kane. Di Maria and Falcao are reasonable examples of us still being a draw without the context of the push factors of both players' clubs wanting rid of them. When's the last time we signed a big player from a team around the same or a higher level than us, who wanted to keep that player? Calling Real an irrelevance, particularly in the context of Ronaldo, is laughable. Even the money aspect falls down since the TV cash plus CL money should give Spurs enough clout to keep him on, particularly with the leverage of the on-field success. If Kane('s agent)'s got half a clue he'd negotiate a new 'CL-player' contract which would then put him at a stronger starting point if he wanted to leave next year.

Only slim chance I reckon we'd have would be if the stadium move means Levy can't or won't be able to offer him a good enough package to keep him or actively seeks to cash in on him now, and even then with other interested parties likely I don't think Woodward's a canny enough operator to seal the deal. Getting a competent manager in could make a difference I suppose, depending on who it was.

I'm hoping the PSG matches will take its toll and they draw to WBA and lose to Chelsea

That would be even better. Think we will beat Spurs and we better put at least 3 past Villa. 4 points ahead after the next two games would be fantastic.

Quite like the dismissal of developing our young strikers in favour of another big money signing considering Spurs broke their club record on a supposed guaranteed goalscorer to then bring Kane through once he'd flopped spectacularly.

Think it's really unlikely we get Kane. Di Maria and Falcao are reasonable examples of us still being a draw without the context of the push factors of both players' clubs wanting rid of them. When's the last time we signed a big player from a team around the same or a higher level than us, who wanted to keep that player? Calling Real an irrelevance, particularly in the context of Ronaldo, is laughable. Even the money aspect falls down since the TV cash plus CL money should give Spurs enough clout to keep him on, particularly with the leverage of the on-field success. If Kane('s agent)'s got half a clue he'd negotiate a new 'CL-player' contract which would then put him at a stronger starting point if he wanted to leave next year.

Only slim chance I reckon we'd have would be if the stadium move means Levy can't or won't be able to offer him a good enough package to keep him or actively seeks to cash in on him now, and even then with other interested parties likely I don't think Woodward's a canny enough operator to seal the deal. Getting a competent manager in could make a difference I suppose, depending on who it was.

1) RvP

2) European irrelevance, comprehension is hard ik.

3) We'll still be paying higher wages than Spurs, financial juggernaut and all that.

That would be even better. Think we will beat Spurs and we better put at least 3 past Villa. 4 points ahead after the next two games would be fantastic.

Very unlikely we beat Spurs though. They are much stronger and are at home.

United next 2 matches: Spurs away and Villa Home

City's next 2 matches: WBA home and Chelsea away

Would you take us being still 1 point behind them after the two fixtures?

wrong

its spurs away, west ham away in cup replay and THEN villa home.... :p

Pretty sure he just meant the league games. We could hammer WH 10-0 and it would getting us closer to city, which is what he was talking about.

I'm all for pointing and laughing at Sids nonsense but this wasn't one of those times.

Just spoke to someone who had a meet and greet with the West Brom squad today. He spoke to Darren Fletcher for around 10mins about United. Fletcher said he still speaks to Rooney and Carrick and the morale at united is basically ****. Not great to hear!

Sad but doesn't surprise me in the least.

Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf reports that Louis van Gaal will remain as Manchester United boss next season - and will be given £80m to spend in the summer, most of it to be used on a striker.

:(

**** me. Maybe we can all chip in and hire another plane?

Don't want too much of a battering for city as i want them to be still in the tie come the 2nd leg so they still put out their strongest team for 2nd leg. 2-0 to Psg would be fine along with a couple of city injuries.

1) RvP

2) European irrelevance, comprehension is hard ik.

3) We'll still be paying higher wages than Spurs, financial juggernaut and all that.

1) No trophies in seven years versus us having won four of the last six titles and finishing 19 points clear of them is the same or higher level? Never mind the context of their hand being forced by RvP being in the last year of his contract.

2) Which had what bearing on Ronaldo? It's really not that hard, despite your endless demonstrations to the contrary.

3) We'd have the capacity to pay him higher wages, but would we go all out for him, and if we did would the difference between what we and Spurs would be willing to offer be sufficient to overcome the non-financial factors? I don't see it happening.

Take your pick; though common sense and basic comprehension would probably be the best places to start. Give me a bit of notice though won't you? I'm a busy boy and you'll take an awful lot of work.

Yeah. He has at least 2-3seasons at the highest level, and if he managed his fitness as well as I expect he can, could see 4-5 more years out of him.

At which point, throw in the commercial revenue someone such as Ronaldo would bring in and it practically pays for itself.

BBC gossip reckons we've been offered the chance to sign Ronaldo in the summer for £48.2 million.

If it's remotely true or even likely that's a bargain.

Hardly. Real wouldn't be selling at that price if it was that much of a bargain.

Tbh you'd be better off putting that towards a younger player. Draxler?

When has he played RW recently? He'd command his best place off the left.

Thats why I was asking, don't watch any football apart from Utd.

Think I would rather allow Martial to keep developing if that was the case.

Martial is probably going to end up down the middle anyway unless we adapt a really tight front 3 like Barcelona. I think Ronaldo is so good anyone else has to make way whether it is good for them or not. I think it would spell the end for Rooney if it does happen.

Well, that I can get behind.

How many goals do you think Ronaldo would score in England?

Well, that I can get behind.

How many goals do you think Ronaldo would score in England?

Didn't do too badly before, and he's a better player now than when he left (but less exciting to watch). Our team isn't nowhere as good though, so that would be an issue.

If he leaves Madrid, I'm not sure he would choose us tbh. He'll want to win trophies, and short of doing all the work himself, that's not too likely in United right now. I suspect PSG may be a more likely destination. Maybe to replace Zlatan leaving?

But wouldn't surprise me if he stays longer in Real Madrid. At least the league is competitive, and he has more to play for than just the CL nights.

Nah he's not.

He's absolutely a better player now than he was when he left United. He just chooses to focus his entire attention on putting the ball in the net though rather than trying to influence the play.

If he wanted to be more involved in play and be more creative for others he's more than capable. It would mean he scores less though so he won't.

I'm actually surprised people think he is better now- although based on the stats fine, it backs that up.

He is a goal machine now, I personally think overall his impact was better as a player during 07-08. Real are so dominant in a lot of La Liga games, I think he gets far more opportunities to rack up the goals. But just what I think.

just Ronnie would be amazing.....but sure this story might have been doing the rounds last summer the summer before that etc :rolleyes:

but this time it might be doable

he wouldn't come unless there is a change in manager tho, he wouldn't want to play for LVG

Archived