Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With us having to play spurs next and city having west brom, it is going to be hard to see us finishing above city. I'm hoping the 2 matches against PSG could take a lot out of city, weather it is taking a battering or picking up key injuries.

Another win, and still just the one point behind City. Obviously we have the tougher match next, but for now the Top Four trophy doesn't look as out of reach as it did a while back.

Glad to see Fosu-Mensah got another half, played well, and also got an assist. Not sure his future lies on fullback, but it gets him matches for now and that is great to see.

Mata's cushioning of the ball prior to the goal was a joy to behold :thup:

Not a good performance but another welcome win.

Looking backwards it was a great week for us. Built up a nice cushion in terms of securing a Europa League spot (though I really don't care much for it), with West Ham, Southampton and Liverpool all dropping points.

Tough game at Spurs next week but a win there would be awesome for so many reasons. Would put us to within 6 of them with a game in hand and we're still only a point off City in fourth. Would also be huge towards Leicester winning the title!

both us and city each have 3 tough fixtures and 4 easier matches. City have arsenal, Southampton and Chelsea. We have Spurs, Leicester and West Ham. The difficulty of the last 7 games are similar and we need to gain 2 points on them (since the better goal difference). It is difficult but doable.

Hope Leicester wrap up title before their game against us which would make it an easier match.

Big win that.

Blind was fantastic today, had Lukaku in his back pocket all afternoon, one of his best perfomances in a red shirt. TFM was really good when he came on too, got the assist from Martial's goal and a key clearance to stop Lukaku scoring when he swicthed to CB.

Tough game next week away to Spurs, hopefully we can pick up at least a point.

spurs game should be a good one ...they have to win to keep title alive fancy they will just about do it, but it is squeaky bum time so you never know, the finish for top 4 will also go down to the wire

today was satisfactory great to see TFM getting a run rate this kid highly but as a CD/DM hope he doesn't get perceived as a utility man and just covers several positions from bench

everton were average probably will put all their effort into FA cup

Fantastic to see Sir Bobby get that today......wonder if LVG will one day:D

Not a United fan, but absolutely loved seeing that unveiling yesterday for Sir Bobby, very touching. When the cover was taken away, you could see he was really fighting back those tears.

No mention of Rashford's involvement in the goal? He played a few back heels yesterday, leading to a few chances (one being with Martial bursting in to the box followed by a great Stones tackle). I think we could have a half decent player on our hands there.

TFM was good when he came on, glad to see him get more minutes. Really like how calm he is on the ball.

Carrick is finished IMO, he had a poor game, I've never seen him misplace easy passes like he did yesterday, he's too slow in possession. It's sad to see.

The counter attack we had when it was like 4 on 1 and Herrera played that awful pass to Valencia and then apologised to all his team mates and the crowd :D.

Everton were poor yesterday. Do we have them in the cup if we get past WH? Would fancy us to get to the final if that was the case then. Got to get past WH first of course.

Lukaku is such an unintelligent footballer. Blind was just smarter than him at every point. Had nothing to do with strength or speed, just a better footballing brain.

No mention of Rashford's involvement in the goal? He played a few back heels yesterday, leading to a few chances (one being with Martial bursting in to the box followed by a great Stones tackle). I think we could have a half decent player on our hands there.

TFM was good when he came on, glad to see him get more minutes. Really like how calm he is on the ball.

Carrick is finished IMO, he had a poor game, I've never seen him misplace easy passes like he did yesterday, he's too slow in possession. It's sad to see.

The counter attack we had when it was like 4 on 1 and Herrera played that awful pass to Valencia and then apologised to all his team mates and the crowd :D.

Love herrerras attitude. You can see he really cares.

Everton were poor yesterday. Do we have them in the cup if we get past WH? Would fancy us to get to the final if that was the case then. Got to get past WH first of course.

Lukaku is such an unintelligent footballer. Blind was just smarter than him at every point. Had nothing to do with strength or speed, just a better footballing brain.

One of the reasons I find it preposterous the media keep linking him to us. Hope it never happens.

One of the reasons I find it preposterous the media keep linking him to us. Hope it never happens.

He's 22/23 and has an incredible goal record for teams that have generally been mid table at best - basically 1 in 2 in the league since 2012/13. In fact, I think I read he's only a handful of goals behind Messi and Aguero at comparative ages. To write him off and 'hope it never happens' just seems daft to me, especially when we've been crying out for a 1 in 2 striker for years.

Lukaku had a poor game yesterday because Everton kept lumping the ball up to him and hoping he could do something with it, not because he's unintelligent. The one chance they did create for him, where he held Blind off in the box, he easily could have scored and Blind got lucky that the shot deflected out for a corner.

that's why jose let him go

he has some merits but not good enough for the £££££ it would take to get him

the striker we should have gone for in summer was Kane but we wont get him now

anyone know the u21 score last I heard it was 1-1

Lukaku isn't a crap player, don't get me wrong, but I don't think he's good enough for United, at least for a United that wants to get back to challenging for the Champions League. He's a physical beast and that gets him goals, but he's not really the type of forward I'd want leading our line. For the prices quoted, I think it would be madness to be honest.

Would rather pay the extra and get Kane.

Kane, Stones and a right winger for me in the summer and we are set. A new manager too, but I wouldn't be too distraught he we kept LVG.

I could maybe understand Leicester players moving in the Summer for bigger pay and future potential, expecting what they've done to be a flash in the pan. However, no regular Spurs player is going to be moving to us at any point over the Summer. There's just no reason. Spurs could potentially continue their success and challenge again for the title next season, they have Champions League football, they can pay a decent wage, he's getting international games.

Kane will not be with us at any point, just don't see it. We need to get over this 'we are a top club' nonsense. Who's the last big name player to come to us because we're a big club?

Enough said. Want players that want to come to us for the history and prestige not mercenaries

Your argument has shifted from "it never happens" to "I don't want it to happen".

He seemed to do alright before he got burgled, hardly done worse than Depay has he? RvP didn't exactly hurt us either, Falcao was always going to be a flop but there were suitors for him too.

As I said, money talks.

Money does indeed talk, it's what got us Martial, and di Maria before that, but I don't see Kane moving either. Spurs will get CL football next season, may win the title this season, and could very well challenge for it next season too. We're still a bit of a mess, and far from the lucrative club we were 5 years ago. It makes more sense for him to stay and be competitive for titles there. If he keeps playing like he has for the last two seasons, a big move will be possible down the line as well.

He'd also cost silly money. Do we really want to blow 60-80m pounds on Kane (even if we could get him), when we have pretty talented English forwards ourselves in Rashford and Wilson? If we're going to chuck silly money this coming summer, there are other positions that needs strengthening more than up front. There is the big scary issue of what happens with DDG, we could do with a right winger, probably another central midfielder, and of course a central defender.

I'd rather have their manager to be honest, especially if that prevents Pop-eye coming to United.

Your argument has shifted from "it never happens" to "I don't want it to happen".

He seemed to do alright before he got burgled, hardly done worse than Depay has he? RvP didn't exactly hurt us either, Falcao was always going to be a flop but there were suitors for him too.

As I said, money talks.

The burgled thing is an excuse. He played one good (for the money we paid) game and then fell off a cliff. Depay isn't world class, he's a youngster struggling to adapt. RVP wouldn't come to us now if the situation was the same as we're not challenging for the title. Falcao was a joke.

Yeah, sorry Pan, but that bit about not wanting Kane because we have Rashford/Wilson is baffling.

Kane absolute miles ahead of either of those. I like both those guys, but I'd have Kane over either of those in a heartbeat.

What we need to hope is that we have the money tospend on all the positions we need to strengthen, the issue then is will LVG just do what he has already done and yet again fail to actually improve the squad properly. The fact he has spent so much and the squad is in the state it is, I'm not sure I'd want to give him another £150m to spend, hell I'd be reluctant to give him £50m.

Just spoke to someone who had a meet and greet with the West Brom squad today. He spoke to Darren Fletcher for around 10mins about United. Fletcher said he still speaks to Rooney and Carrick and the morale at united is basically ****. Not great to hear!

The burgled thing is an excuse. He played one good (for the money we paid) game and then fell off a cliff. Depay isn't world class, he's a youngster struggling to adapt. RVP wouldn't come to us now if the situation was the same as we're not challenging for the title. Falcao was a joke.

He had plenty of good games for us, and as he's shown at PSG he's a world class player and I never said Depay was. But as I said, you're arguing different things now because you know your original point was incorrect.

I don't actually mind any of the players LvG has bought, he's just been way too optimistic in the players he let go thinking he could bring in replacements. We've done well to avoid the likes of Otamendi, Pedro etc. but we need to actually buy a quality striker, central defender and right sided winger if we're going to challenge for anything regardless of manager. Unless Martial does actually turn into Thierry Henry next season we just don't have enough goals in the team.

Yeah, sorry Pan, but that bit about not wanting Kane because we have Rashford/Wilson is baffling.

Kane absolute miles ahead of either of those. I like both those guys, but I'd have Kane over either of those in a heartbeat.

What we need to hope is that we have the money tospend on all the positions we need to strengthen, the issue then is will LVG just do what he has already done and yet again fail to actually improve the squad properly. The fact he has spent so much and the squad is in the state it is, I'm not sure I'd want to give him another £150m to spend, hell I'd be reluctant to give him £50m.

Of course Kane is much better than both of those, that's not the issue. We need strengthening more in other positions than up front. If we can't create chances and get the ball up there (nor prevent silly goals at the back), it doesn't matter who is up there. We're not going to score much.

Just spoke to someone who had a meet and greet with the West Brom squad today. He spoke to Darren Fletcher for around 10mins about United. Fletcher said he still speaks to Rooney and Carrick and the morale at united is basically ****. Not great to hear!

Not great to hear at all -- though it's hardly surprising given the way we've played this season, and the poor results.

He had plenty of good games for us, and as he's shown at PSG he's a world class player and I never said Depay was. But as I said, you're arguing different things now because you know your original point was incorrect.

di Maria had more than one good game, but overall he was very underwhelming apart from that first month or so. What's the cause of that is debatable, but what is certain is that he didn't live up to the expectations, and he's played much better now when in PSG.

RvN or Kane would have 20+ goals in this United side, that argument just doesn't work. If a 19 year old Martial can get 13 and a dead Rooney can get 14 it's laughable to suggest a better striker wouldn't get more. Look how much more dangerous we looked in the few games where Rooney played something like his old self and actually occupied defenders. Having someone defenders are constantly scared about creates loads of space for everyone else behind them.

di Maria had more than one good game, but overall he was very underwhelming apart from that first month or so. What's the cause of that is debatable, but what is certain is that he didn't live up to the expectations, and he's played much better now when in PSG.

Neither of which is relevant to the point JJ72 originally made. AdM's poor form arrived after he moved to the club, which he did despite him being widely regarded as one of the best players in the team that had just won the CL and the fact we weren't even in the competition because we threw loads of money at him.

Whether that's a strategy you'd want to employ is another argument. Denying it's an option however is silly given the evidence to the contrary.

Money talks AM. There's a long list of players their fans thought wouldn't move.

Still no chance, homegrown player in a team like Spurs has no chance to going to Man United in their current state.

Fine if you sort yourselves out, but right now 0% chance, not even 0.1% chance!

I'm not saying he couldn't move, just not to United now.

Ronaldo left a team that had won 3 league titles, 1 CL semi, 1 win and 1 final for a team that had been irrelevant for about 5 years.

Money and names count, especially when Levy is in charge of selling.

Yes, but was still a team that was the 2nd best team in Spain. Had also won the league in 2008 and 2007 iirc.

Archived