Where do regens come from?

It's regen day, the day that the new youth is presented to you. For me this is one of the highlights of the game, the moment you see what your future team is gonna be.

And then you realise your future team is *@#$.

After having another dramatic youth intake in my game with Arsenal, I have some questions about how this part of the game works. Because to me, it all seems way to random.

Recruitment = Regen PA

Junior Coaching = Regen CA

Youth Facilities = Rate of youth player CA improvement

This is what I read on almost every website, or forum. The only problem i have is that this is not the way i experience it.

Acording to this, if you have the highest Recruitment, the highest Junior Coaching, and the highest Youth Facilities, you create the ''highest'' (best) regens in FM, right?

So why havent i had any world class regen in my youth intake?

It seems to me, that a club like Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Ajax, PSV, etc. should be able to ''scout'' at least 3 or 4 players that are capable of playing at the level the club is playing now.

If the club is playing in the Champions League, the players scouted for the youth team should be able to play at Champions League level. If your club is playing in the Jupiler League, the regens should at least be able to play at that level.

Also, at Arsenal, if a player is not capable of playing at the Premier League level, why did my scouts chose him? He is never gonna make it to the first squad, so why bother to bring him to the club.

It just seems to me that everything you do, doesn't matter. And that the chance that the next Ronaldinho is in your youth squad, is as high as in the youth squad of Willem II.

(From the Netherlands, so there gonna be some spelling errors.)

Moving to GD ..

My first question to you would be, how many clubs do you know anywhere in the world that produce 3 or 4 players a season who go on to make their first team?

Secondly, those players are just players who are potentials to come into your youth teams, they haven't been signed they are just players who turn up and have a trial of sorts.

You then choose to sign them or not to your youth team.

Interesting discussion. I have the same experiences. Everything that has any possible influence is at a maximum level but the regens are terrible. Other clubs, with lower accommodations, a worse youth development level and lower rated trainers getting much better youth players every year.

If it's completely random it's pointless to invest in these things. I can not imagine this is how it works. I think there's something, maybe somewhere in the source code, that roughly determined what's the level of your regens.

I don't know if there's are part of the source code (like the newgens file) visible for us where we can find stuff like this.

Moving to GD ..

My first question to you would be, how many clubs do you know anywhere in the world that produce 3 or 4 players a season who go on to make their first team?

Secondly, those players are just players who are potentials to come into your youth teams, they haven't been signed they are just players who turn up and have a trial of sorts.

You then choose to sign them or not to your youth team.

I havent gone to the clubs to check. But i assume that al the big clubs have at least 1 or 2 players per year in their squad that can make it to the first squad. Whats the point of having a youth network if you can't scout players for your level?

The last 2 years i haven't had anyone coming through in my youth that could make it to my first squad. I can't believe that is also the case at Barcelona, or Ajax.

And where do these trial youth players come from? And how did they end up at your club? Is this al on the Head of Youth? Otherwise i gotta fire that guy. Just saying that at a club with all the youth requirements maxed. You can expect 1 or 2 regens a year that are capable of playing in your first squad. Sometimes more. Sometimes less.

I just cant understand how i get such rubbish players, when everything is maxed out. If you max everything out, you should get the max potential of players. And it is not just me that has this problem, its a lot of players. Its just doesn't seem to benifitial to update al your facilities, because it doesnt pay out.

I'm just wondering is the OP basing these evaluations just on the star rating, or on a proper attribute analysis cross-checked by position suitability, etc? The stars are based on your top player, which I'm guessing is Alexis in FM15. Since he's a pretty special talent, it would be surprising to have many regens coming through near his level, hence the low initial ratings. But 3, 3 and half star kids can still be excellent top league players, so don't despair. Then every now and then a real gem comes through, and xmas comes early :p

I'm just wondering is the OP basing these evaluations just on the star rating, or on a proper attribute analysis cross-checked by position suitability, etc? The stars are based on your top player, which I'm guessing is Alexis in FM15. Since he's a pretty special talent, it would be surprising to have many regens coming through near his level, hence the low initial ratings. But 3, 3 and half star kids can still be excellent top league players, so don't despair. Then every now and then a real gem comes through, and xmas comes early :p

I am basing this on multiple things:

The star rating, I know you can't trust on this 100%. But with a 1,5 star rating you can be pretty sure this player is not going to play in your first squad.

Attributes of the player, you cant tell if a player is going to grow a lot or not. But you can tell if he is pretty bad.

Comparing with other youth intakes.

If you compare your youth intake, with a club with the same facilities. They are going to have more players with a potential to play in the first squad then you. In my game I have seen this with Bayern, Monaco, PSG, Ajax, Man Utd, Everton...

Al these things combined just gives me the impression that my youth intake on a yearly base should produce better regens. As said. At least a couple of players capable of playing in the first squad.

@Borobadger I hope someone from maybe SI can comment on these questions. I too think that this is a part of FM that can be improved.

@Welshace A club with a stature of Chelsea, Arsenal or the Spurs should be able to look further then their own town. They should look over the whole world to find these players.

Ive always found youth intakes pretty random in the game.

Once in a blue moon will I get a regen that is amazing.

Cant say ive ever had a wonderkid that ive not bought myself. But then I never play any top team. I build the teams up.

Add in the fact that its very hard to buy promising youngsters when clubs in the lower leagues in Scotland still insist on 10mil+

I would love to see the addition of control over youth setups in the game, where players maybe dont have a PA and that is decided by factors that you have a little control over when they reach 16.

IMO, I agree with one of the OPs two issues: too many regens that would have no hope of making the first team being created.

Using the IGE and my squads current CAs, I can say from many league-years on FM14 that roughly 2 or 3 out of the dozen or so generated every year would ever make it to the first team, even if they reached their full potential. I have no problem with the 2 or 3 part, perhaps only 1 or none; my thing is: why bother giving me the 10 players who aren't ever going to amount to anything? Why couldn't my "youth intake" every year just consist of zero, one or two players that could possibly contend for first team slots?

my thing is: why bother giving me the 10 players who aren't ever going to amount to anything? Why couldn't my "youth intake" every year just consist of zero, one or two players that could possibly contend for first team slots?

Because that wouldn't be realistic and if it happened the gameworld would be populated with world class players and nothing else.

IMO, I agree with one of the OPs two issues: too many regens that would have no hope of making the first team being created.

Using the IGE and my squads current CAs, I can say from many league-years on FM14 that roughly 2 or 3 out of the dozen or so generated every year would ever make it to the first team, even if they reached their full potential. I have no problem with the 2 or 3 part, perhaps only 1 or none; my thing is: why bother giving me the 10 players who aren't ever going to amount to anything? Why couldn't my "youth intake" every year just consist of zero, one or two players that could possibly contend for first team slots?

Because that isn't how youth teams work and you know it full well! For a start that wouldn't be a team, your under-19s would just sit around doing nothing and even those 5-star prospects wouldn't improve. Players that don't make the grade with you can go on to enrich lower leagues or other nations, it's not just about your team.

I was actually insanely happy with FM14 youth system, built up a Real Sociedad team that after years of honing moved 17 points clear at top with 7 or 8 academy graduates always in the first XI. Of course, that's when my hard drive decided to call it quits, now waiting to see if it can be saved and if not, if I left a copy on the Steam cloud. If I lose that save, I don't know if I can go back to FM for quite some time, the wound will be too fresh.

With Sassuolo over 4 youth intakes I've gotten 3 players described as having world class potential, and two of them "the best of their generation".

The surprising thing is the first the three came through when junior coaching and networking was 'Average'. My latest youth intake, after a takeover, where the board consequently allowed me to increase both to the max, was very poor, with just a couple of players that will be very lucky to make it in Serie A.

I consistently see a few clubs produce top class youth, and they should. The likes of Barca, RM, Athletic, PSG, Bayern, Schalke, Rennes, Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, etc, seems to produce a lot of them, but I like the fact that it's also a bit of luck involved.

why bother giving me the 10 players who aren't ever going to amount to anything? Why couldn't my "youth intake" every year just consist of zero, one or two players that could possibly contend for first team slots?

The game gives you the opportunity to sign them or not. I personally sign all of them, just to fill up my youth squad with inexpensive players. Then, during the coming months I add to that by signing talents that my scouts find, and before the season start I release the ones that are not needed. I think the way it works now is realistic. I mean, out of most clubs youth teams you hardly ever see a large amount of players make it through. I guess there are a few exceptions like Ajax, but overall there's rarely more than 1 player every other year out of a large pool of players that make it through to the first team.

Can't believe some of the things I'm hearing in here tbh..

People would seriously want to get rid of the realism and just have a few top class players come through every year?

What club on earth in real life has brought through more than a handful of players into the first team in the last 10 years? never might every year?

@Borobadger I hope someone from maybe SI can comment on these questions. I too think that this is a part of FM that can be improved.

@Welshace A club with a stature of Chelsea, Arsenal or the Spurs should be able to look further then their own town. They should look over the whole world to find these players.

Clubs aren't allowed to look further than their own town, it's in the FA rules, every club has a 'catchment area' from which they are allowed to sign youngsters. Otherwise Chelsea would sign every promising youngster in the country.

You can improve your youth intakes if you do deals with foreign clubs and ask them to populate your youth teams with their youngsters every now and then. Some of my best youngsters have come from those kind of deals.

Can't believe some of the things I'm hearing in here tbh..

People would seriously want to get rid of the realism and just have a few top class players come through every year?

What club on earth in real life has brought through more than a handful of players into the first team in the last 10 years? never might every year?

I think the problem is some people see a team like Barca and think 'why is my youth team not like that?' Well, let's see. Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Valdes, Busquets, Messi, Pedro, and a few more I'm forgetting now. A great bunch, but they're seven players from what in FM terms would be 20 youth intakes. Three 'world class' players, and another handful of very good ones, over more than 20 years in the world's best academy sounds about what the OP is complaining about

Thats not at all what i am saying.

To me it just seems that the money i put in to my youth, with facilities, staff, head of youth... it just doesnt seem to make any impact on the intake of players. It doesn't matter that you have a decent youth network, or a perfect one. It is all random.

Regarding to how many players you get; Every year I scout all the regens that are introduced to the game. And every year at the same clubs i see decent regens. Not amazing player that are gonna blow your mind, but players that are decent enough to play for the first squad. So why cant i create a youth situation that provides me with 2 or 3 players that I can possibly bring in to the first squad?

Because i havent had any talent (bench first squad) come to in 2 years, I posted the thread here, hoping to find out more on how to get good regens.

Like i said in the OP, I just dont experience it as it coming down to the things said online. It seems to me that there is a whole aspect of regens that also comes in to play, do i have control over this or not? These are things i want to know.

Great facilities across the board mean you have a much better chance to bread good talent.. but it's still not a certainty... particularly if other factors are in play like I mentioned earlier, such as other clubs, catchment area etc..

2 years = 2 intakes and you worry about the talent coming through? .. don't ... give it time...

Ajax/ Southampton and co didn't start producing regularly over night.. it took years and years.

If we're talking about cheesing the system, you can probably still save and reload on the regen day until you get three four star players or whatever.

If we're talking about weird game mechanics, the national "youth rating" plays a part in player generation. Germany has the highest youth rating in Europe (Brazil has the highest overall), so if you can develop perfect facilities at any European club a German club will produce the best players.

I'd love to specifically know how region population ties into it - also, how are second nationalities allocated? I know a London club will produce more players with interesting nationalities than Sunderland and Celtic will take in Irish players while Rangers won't.

One game I had fun with was creating a Conference South team with perfect facilities and taking them up the leagues without buying anyone. It was a little frustrating when I realized two of my four best players were keepers.

Just thought i would come here to give my 2 cents... It isnt always the best players at first... I had a 1.5/2 start when he first came in at 15/16 yrs old and once he develop in my youth squad U18 for a season or two he was a 4 star... Im not even playing as the top league either im playing as a crap Vanarama Conference North Team... It's your HOY or Director of Football which ever you have that determines the youth players i think anyways

Country is a huge factor and England does not have a highly rated youth system, check it in the editor and up the numbers there if you want to see better regens. Also, as a person who plays low level teams, you are quite frankly, a little silly for even saying you only want players of top quality to come through... the lower teams would all die if that happened. Your low quality regens are going to be the stars of lower leagues and that makes them necessary to the game.

I have found having a non domestic head of youth in charge can result in a couple players of their nationality arrive on "regen day"

Also feeder clubs, I had Dinamo as one and I found I was having the odd Croation player arrive again on "regen day"

Just to broaden the spectrum :)

Great facilities across the board mean you have a much better chance to bread good talent.. but it's still not a certainty... particularly if other factors are in play like I mentioned earlier, such as other clubs, catchment area etc..

2 years = 2 intakes and you worry about the talent coming through? .. don't ... give it time...

Ajax/ Southampton and co didn't start producing regularly over night.. it took years and years.

What i mean is normally (talking FM 14, FM 13....) when im playing, in my youth i always get 1 or 2 decent players. Players who can make it to the first team. Sometimes they do, sometimes they dont. But every year you got players who are potentionally capable of playing in your first squad, with this game. I havent had a decent player come through in 2 years. I know there a a lot of factors that come in to play, but these guys would never make it to the first squad.

I have maxed everything out, and this is my youth. Since it is not better then a youth of QPR, then why should i invest in this, when it doesnt seem to affect anything at all?

Thats why i started this thread, to find out more on how Regens are generated, populated, en distrubeted

Country is a huge factor and England does not have a highly rated youth system, check it in the editor and up the numbers there if you want to see better regens. Also, as a person who plays low level teams, you are quite frankly, a little silly for even saying you only want players of top quality to come through... the lower teams would all die if that happened. Your low quality regens are going to be the stars of lower leagues and that makes them necessary to the game.

This is were for me the confusing kicks in, so you got your nation rating. How does this affect the players, does this affect the amount of players fromt that country, or the PA of the players who are good?

Does a country get a fixed PA to spread over all his regens? How does a regen from Brazil end up in the youth of Arsenal?

So, for the last time i just want to know the ''science'' behind the regens, is it mostly random? Do the numbers even mean anything?

If you look in real life, my favourite team, Southampton have produced some quality players over the years. But how many are 'premier league level'? Well, in the last 10 years, we've produced Walcott, Chamberlain, Shaw, Lallana, Bale and Chambers. Only Bale would currently be described as a 'world class' player and the others, although good premier league players, have still yet to prove themselves to be world class. Before this, I can only think of 5 Players (Channon, Chivers, Paine, Le Tissier and Shearer) who would be described as 'top Premier League' Players (3 of whom played their whole careers before the Premier League). In the team that lost to Man City at the weekend, we had nobody from our academy start, and had 2 on the bench who didn't come on. And that is from one of the best academies in the country...

Now, compare how many we've produced, and compare it to the amount of players who are squad players in the premier league, or plying their trade in the lower leagues. I would say less than 0.1% of the players who enter a Premier League Academy (even one as successful as Southamptons) go on to be top Premier League players, and even then they Need not only the right training/facilities etc but a fair bit of luck as well. 99.9% of players who entered into the Southampton youth system (our 'youth intake') are either in our squad somewhere, playing for a variety of teams in the English league system somewhere or most frequently, drifted out of the game. Out of the literally thousands of players who have made up Southamptons 'youth intake' over the years, 1 God (Le God of course :D )1 currently world class player and maybe 10 others, it goes to Show that you're not going to find the next Messi, or even the next Heskey, every other year no matter how good your academy is...

So, to sum up, I would expect a potential first teamer every other intake at best really.

OFFT: Chamberlain is a World Class player, you just wait and see!

ONT: I agree with you on the fact that most players dont make it, and that every 2 - 3 years you maybe get 1 player that is actually good enough to play first team football. I just dont really understand the way the regens come in to the game.

They get generated on the day they are needed, but what then? How do they end up at your Southampton?

In FM when i get my youth, they dont start at my team right? They start at a another club, not sure if these are playable. Because when you get your regens it displays a club name next to the regens.

But do they actually play there? Or is this just a string of text without any meaning what so ever? About tactics, scouting and everything else you can find al sorts of info, but on the subject of regen genererating everybody says the same thing. Thats why i want to know how they are generated.

There are apprently a lot of factors that determine how a regen is generated. Does anybody understand how this works in the game, in the code?

What are steps, FM takes to make a regen?

The players (I'm assuming) have come through the academy and youth teams and are at the gge where you decide if they're good enough to be in your U18 team or not. The ones that are deemed good enough stay with you when offered a contract, the ones that aren't drop down the leagues or fade into obscurity, much like real life. In FM, I haven't played as Southampton in years, so can't really remember what mine were like, but at most FM clubs i've managed, I get maybe 1 or 2 squad players a year. The regens are just produced on the day and the quality of them is determined by facilities/Junior Coaching/Reputation/recruitment/Location etc so in terms of the names, they're pretty random in (apart from Eneko Osia ;-) ), but almost all other things are influenced by things within and beyond your control

I wass afraid this was the case, that you dont really have that much control over what you get in your youth.

Yes and no. Of course the standard of young players coming through at Arsenal will be better than those coming through at lower league teams due to the better facilities/Junior Coaching/Reputation/recruitment. And the Location Plays a role (somewhere like London will always produce more players than the Highlands for example due to the amount of pro Teams and the population) and a country like Brazil or Spain will almost always produce better players than somewhere like Andorra or the Marshall Islands. So it's not entirely random by any means. As far as I know, the random part is mainly how many future 1st teamers you get per Intake (you may get none for 3 years then 3 in 1 intake) and their names...

If it really mean that much to you to get club regen, you can try this.

Right before the game generates regen, save your game. Then reload until you get something worthwhile. Ive tried it myself just for the heck of it, and the fun part of developing your own club regen. In my 8th season, and the best I got so far is Leading Premiership player class.

Honestly it is easier to buy young players and develop them, but as I said, just for fun of it.

Yes and no. Of course the standard of young players coming through at Arsenal will be better than those coming through at lower league teams due to the better facilities/Junior Coaching/Reputation/recruitment. And the Location Plays a role (somewhere like London will always produce more players than the Highlands for example due to the amount of pro Teams and the population) and a country like Brazil or Spain will almost always produce better players than somewhere like Andorra or the Marshall Islands. So it's not entirely random by any means. As far as I know, the random part is mainly how many future 1st teamers you get per Intake (you may get none for 3 years then 3 in 1 intake) and their names...

So you are saying just wait, if you got the facilities they will come?

My last major low league save, as time pushed on, and I was rising, the last few leagues were spearheaded by a Dutch striker who came through Chelsea's youth, and wasn't good enough for them. Done the world of good for me in League One, The Championship, and by then had developed into a useful Prem player, moved on from me as my squad grew in class, but still had quite a fine career in the lower reaches of the Premiership. Also, Rickie Lambert. Wasn't good enough, but then he was.

My last major low league save, as time pushed on, and I was rising, the last few leagues were spearheaded by a Dutch striker who came through Chelsea's youth, and wasn't good enough for them. Done the world of good for me in League One, The Championship, and by then had developed into a useful Prem player, moved on from me as my squad grew in class, but still had quite a fine career in the lower reaches of the Premiership. Also, Rickie Lambert. Wasn't good enough, but then he was.

there musr be dozens of players who were rejected/released who became quality players.I've had so many premier league cast offs who've dropped dow to my teams and been a star.

In my games it is always Lyon who come out with the best players - so I have played my first ever season with them. Youth intake was spectacular - out of 7 or 8 to come through - the worst I got was 'a fairly good player'! 4 of them could go on to best 'one of the best players at the club' and 3 to be key players in first team.

In my games it is always Lyon who come out with the best players - so I have played my first ever season with them. Youth intake was spectacular - out of 7 or 8 to come through - the worst I got was 'a fairly good player'! 4 of them could go on to best 'one of the best players at the club' and 3 to be key players in first team.

How did your game go on? Did you get good youth everytime, or was this a once i a lifetime generation?

To the OP, how many players have Arsenal actually brought through their own youth academy in recent years? IMO they have been slipping for a few years now and generally buy all of their youth players from other clubs at ages 16-17. Wilshere is the only player i can actually think of, and even he was signed from Luton.

To the OP, how many players have Arsenal actually brought through their own youth academy in recent years? IMO they have been slipping for a few years now and generally buy all of their youth players from other clubs at ages 16-17. Wilshere is the only player i can actually think of, and even he was signed from Luton.

I am just saying, that for a club, with everything maxed out, the youth is poor. Not regarding Arsenal or Southampton, just a club in FM. Not decent but poor, i don't know why this is. That is why is started this thread, to found out more about regens.

In real life players come from lower clubs. In FM they are generated on the day they are needed, so how are they generated. What is taking in to effect when generating these players.

OFFT: Chamberlain is a World Class player, you just wait and see!

ONT: I agree with you on the fact that most players dont make it, and that every 2 - 3 years you maybe get 1 player that is actually good enough to play first team football. I just dont really understand the way the regens come in to the game.

They get generated on the day they are needed, but what then? How do they end up at your Southampton?

In FM when i get my youth, they dont start at my team right? They start at a another club, not sure if these are playable. Because when you get your regens it displays a club name next to the regens.

But do they actually play there? Or is this just a string of text without any meaning what so ever? About tactics, scouting and everything else you can find al sorts of info, but on the subject of regen genererating everybody says the same thing. Thats why i want to know how they are generated.

There are apprently a lot of factors that determine how a regen is generated. Does anybody understand how this works in the game, in the code?

What are the steps, FM takes to make a regen?

The game gives you the opportunity to sign them or not. I personally sign all of them, just to fill up my youth squad with inexpensive players. Then, during the coming months I add to that by signing talents that my scouts find, and before the season start I release the ones that are not needed. I think the way it works now is realistic. I mean, out of most clubs youth teams you hardly ever see a large amount of players make it through. I guess there are a few exceptions like Ajax, but overall there's rarely more than 1 player every other year out of a large pool of players that make it through to the first team.
Because that isn't how youth teams work and you know it full well! For a start that wouldn't be a team, your under-19s would just sit around doing nothing and even those 5-star prospects wouldn't improve. Players that don't make the grade with you can go on to enrich lower leagues or other nations, it's not just about your team.

To be clear, I abhor the task of maintaining a youth squad at any level for the realistic reason alone: hardly anyone good ever comes out of it. Again, I'm not saying I want more great regens. I'm fine with hardly ever getting one. Yes, it's easy enough to just never sign any of them and 3 months later they fall off the books. And I know the few that I do keep do improve, whether I have a full squad or not because the matches get played by ghost players if you don't have it set on full detail. Also, the game world as a whole would not be effected in the least if one single club (mine) stopped producing a full complement of regens every year.

I was really just alluding to the fact that the whole youth squad maintenance thing is one of the most laborious tasks for the in-game manager and (I'm not arguing, realistically) hardly anything ever comes from it unless you transfer in high-PA regens from elsewhere.

But, again, the work around is easy enough: just don't ever sign any youth prospect that isn't 4 stars or better.

I'm aware that that is not the way it works in the real world, but I'm also aware that, in the real world, a guy from California who has never kicked a football in anger, would be announced as the new manager of Man United as well ;)

What I found weird was in a save, I noted that in my list of clauses was a player who'd never been at my club(Bradford City), a regen, who came through Arsenals ranks. It seems that they kind of built in a background to the regen, as if he'd been at my club, but bought by Arsenal at a very young age. Like Cleverley to Man Utd. Later on, I found a regen that popped up at my club(when I became a high rank club), with a similar set of clauses going to Derby. Thought it was quite awesome that these things were factored in, would have loved that Arsenal kid at my club, though, he had potential!

there musr be dozens of players who were rejected/released who became quality players.I've had so many premier league cast offs who've dropped dow to my teams and been a star.

Absolutely. Countless time for me spent at the lower leagues, scouting and sounding out players released by Premiership clubs.

Barcelona and Ajax are the exception in regard to talent development, not the norm. How many first players have Bayern Munich brought through in the past 5-6 season? Arsenal? Chelsea? Liverpool? Manchester City? Manchester United have had about 3 in that time, 2 of whom are not with the club and one of whom is a fringe player. The young defenders getting a chance now are doing so due to injuries.

Don't have the game in front of me, but I just played through March of 2015 and used a scouting tool to look at the regens that came through. At a Dutch club with fairly decent but not outstanding facilities, I got one 4-star regen who has the potential to develop into a really solid player at that level. The bigger clubs, with better facilities, all got at least one top-level regen. Most of the other quality regens through Europe came through at clubs with top facilities. Even the regens in Africa tend to appear at clubs with better facilities. Have top facilities is no guarantee, but it seems to be where the better quality regens show up.

Once in my football manager history I got a regen wonderkid who has become the best player in the world. I think that was back in FM10 and I was Leeds United.

Other than that I get good players sometimes that become rotation or backup to first team needed for homegrown count.

Usually I buy wonderkid regens from other clubs and they would become first team players.

I will say in my long-term FM 14 save, there's a significant difference between a 2-star regen in Scotland and a 2-star regen at Bayern Munich. I had Stirling Albion playing regularly in Champions League with world-class facilities, ranked 2nd in Europe, and even then the regens rarely made the first team. But when I took the Bayern job, a 2-star regen, although moderately useful as cover, brought some major transfer coin when sold to say...Stirling Albion (still playing Champions years I after I left them).

Barcelona and Ajax are the exception in regard to talent development, not the norm. How many first players have Bayern Munich brought through in the past 5-6 season? Arsenal? Chelsea? Liverpool? Manchester City? Manchester United have had about 3 in that time, 2 of whom are not with the club and one of whom is a fringe player. The young defenders getting a chance now are doing so due to injuries.

Glad you asked :D

Bayern have produced Lahm (31 years old), Schweinsteiger (30), Badstuber (25), Müller (25) and Alaba (23) in recent years who are world class or close to it and still play for the team. Add maybe 15 or 20 others who play in the Bundesliga in that time frame and you got an exceptional youth academy. If any FM player expects to produce that many talents year in and year out they're in for a reality check.

Bayern have produced Lahm (31 years old), Schweinsteiger (30), Badstuber (25), Müller (25) and Alaba (23) in recent years who are world class or close to it and still play for the team. Add maybe 15 or 20 others who play in the Bundesliga in that time frame and you got an exceptional youth academy. If any FM player expects to produce that many talents year in and year out they're in for a reality check.

Alaba is a regen bought though, from Austria Wien, rather than through Bayern's intake. :D

Appreciate the breakdown lol. I actually did double-check Bayern's team and where they were developed as I wasn't sure on Alaba, Kroos (now former Bayern, obviously) and Holberg (not that he's WC at this point). You could probably included Hummels as he WC when healthy, and he did come through the Bayern youth system. That's 5 players over a 10-12 year cycle, which is quite impressive. Yet its only a really good (165 plus PA) regen every 2-3 seasons.

Archived