World Cup in pictures

RubenJ

I was about to post this picture in the Belgium thread, but then I thought why not open a picture thread?

Post anything in here from striking pictures to funny expressions to police violence to hot Brazilian females in the stands, during the build-up and tournament itself.

I'll start off with our very own karate kid. Nothing special I know, just getting the thread started.

aae38b80-e26b-11e3-befc-e71129f7c9ad_web_scale_0.0411636_0.0411636__.JPG.h600.JPG

Brazilian indigenous protesters clashed with the police near the Estádio Nacional in Brasília in an anti-WC protest:

brasil-protesto-indio-brasilia-20140527-11-size-598.jpg?1401227402

do they wear something underneath the skirts though, seems the sneakers isn't that original either

do they wear something underneath the skirts though, seems the sneakers isn't that original either

They have modern clothes underneath the traditional ones. I bet many of those that were protesting don't even speak native languages as assimilation into Portuguese language was very deep and many native populations only speak Portuguese nowadays.

They have modern clothes underneath the traditional ones. I bet many of those that were protesting don't even speak native languages as assimilation into Portuguese language was very deep and many native populations only speak Portuguese nowadays.

so it's basically an enactment of indigenous people and what we are supposed to consider indigenous rather than factual representation of locals. Who might not protest the way as they did, which seems a more western way anyway

so it's basically an enactment of indigenous people and what we are supposed to consider indigenous rather than factual representation of locals. Who might not protest the way as they did, which seems a more western way anyway

Yes and no.

They are descendants of indigenous people, and they kept some degree of ethnic identity but switched to Portuguese as language.

But the whole indigenous thing is pretty politicized. The gov is dumb and also tries to label some populations as indigenous even they don't see themselves as such.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived